Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    They're too sweet. They're even worse with no filling. The Pre has no filling.

No dice.

I've had my Pre since September/October. and I love it. It's always had some oreo but not a lot, recently it's been getting worse. It's quite loose, rotating clockwise with very little effort. The left side has lifted about 1mm off the surface of the device.

I've used the Seido case for a few months now which minimizes the effect, but I've discovered that this is why it doesn't charge properly on the Touchstone anymore. The oreo is too strong not to use the case, but I have plugging it in every night and not having the clock.

I'll be bringing it in this week, as it's still under warranty. What I'd like to know though is whether they'll replace it with a refurb? Should I expect to go through a few refurbs before I get one that doesn't exhibit the problem. Any tips on making things go smoothly?

Making a backup of the device now. Anyway to save my Asphalt 5 progress?

Thanks!!
    Its a luck of the draw with the refurb's, hope it works out for you.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Fixing bad oreo effect is easier than you think. Visit this Totally Palmed: DON'T RETURN IT! Simple and Easy Fixes for the Palm Pre link. And Scroll to 2. This helped me fix my oreo effect by a mile

What helped me was this part.
    "UPDATE: oasis9389 on the precentral.net forums has noticed that if you close your Pre from an upper left to bottom right fashion, that it has the same effect as the fix above. This is likely due to the asymmetrical design of the original rail system for the slider."
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addyc View Post
    Fixing bad oreo effect is easier than you think. Visit this Totally Palmed: DON'T RETURN IT! Simple and Easy Fixes for the Palm Pre[/url] link. And Scroll to 2. This helped me fix my oreo effect by a mile
    Sadly this technique has never worked for me. What I want is a device with tighter tolerances.

I can take the battery out and watch how much play there is in the hinge rails, it's horrendous. Incidentally, according to the provided site I have an older battery.

(also, thanks for trying )
    Quote Originally Posted by DittoBox View Post
    Sadly this technique has never worked for me. What I want is a device with tighter tolerances.

I can take the battery out and watch how much play there is in the hinge rails, it's horrendous. Incidentally, according to the provided site I have an older battery.

(also, thanks for trying )
    I'm sorry there isn't anything else I could help you with.. , if the oreo is as bad as you described, the best thing to do is return it now. Good luck on the next one, I hope it'll be the last one you return. ^-^
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Well I brought the phone in today, the repair location told me that they get 5-6 Pres a day, with either battery or hinge issues. They are the only one in the north Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area. They are replacing the phone as well as the battery. Apparently the Japanese made batteries not only causes random rebooting and such, but will also fail to charge after a few months.

My Aunt, Grandma and Mom just got Pres yesterday. Two of them were made in October and have loose hinges and old batteries. The newer one was made in December, but also had an older Japanese battery. The older phones are being replaced entirely with ones that are newer and the new phone's battery will be replaced as well.

I love Palm but they're trying to catch up with Toyota, methinks.
    Do they give you a new pre on spot or do you have to send it in and wait for palm to send a new one?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    They are having one shipped in, I'll get to swap it out once it arrives.

As far as the batteries in the other phones, they're shipping in new units with the newer batteries and we'll swap those out as well.