Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84
  1.    #1  
    I didn't knw I could hack my pre to go to 600 mhz, I have the cpu scaling 500, but I'm seen a lot of ppl talk about the 600 mhz, can somebody tell me or explain to me the steps on how to do it or hack it
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip34 View Post
    I didn't knw I could hack my pre to go to 600 mhz, I have the cpu scaling 500, but I'm seen a lot of ppl talk about the 600 mhz, can somebody tell me or explain to me the steps on how to do it or hack it
    it's a patch and you can also do it via comand line, BUT! There have been many cases of peoples pre dying either right after they install the patch or a few hours later a guys pre died after a month or so, so I wouldn't recommend you doing it.
  3.    #3  
    oh man thanx, I didn't knw it would cause problems, this is my work phone...I can't b without a phone for more than a day
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip34 View Post
    oh man thanx, I didn't knw it would cause problems, this is my work phone...I can't b without a phone for more than a day
    yeah no problem.
  5. #5  
    Well, I don't think the 600 mhz would kill your phone, I had installed it for many weeks now and it's ok. Did you know that when you play 3D games the phone runs at 600? if Palm allows that then the phone should be fine.

    I am not responsible though if you for some reason kill your phone.
  6. #6  
    I've been running mine at 600 mhz for awhile now with no problems whatsoever. You can read this thread http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-1-3-5-a.html that has the commands to run. Not sure what the other poster is talking about with it killing phones... I haven't seen anyone complain of that in the thread I referenced above, fwiw.
  7.    #7  
    do I have to remove the cpu scaling 500 patch off my phone first?
  8. #8  
    YES. To be safe, never have more than one scaling or overclocking patch on. If you have a scaling patch, don't run an overclocking patch, etc.
  9. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #9  
    Well, My Pre die upon installing this patch. I strongly recommend against it.
  10.    #10  
    how do I get unixpshycos thread for the steps?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Remove the patch. It actually is fairly nonfunctional. The way to go to 600 MHz is by script execution (see unixpsycho thread). I did this and all of my freezing ssues went away (when I used to used cpuscaling and powersave type patches) and I am happily running at 600 MHz with no issues. I am of the belief that the speed was not the issue but the powersave and cpuscaling that caused the problems.

    If you found this useful, input thanks
    how do I get unixpshycos thread for the steps?
  12. #12  
    i would suggest anyone interested in trying this read at least the first four or five pages of the thread referenced above. not all pres can handle 600. it seems hit or miss with the old ones, especially. i think the thread named above also has links to other threads and a wiki that will tell you a lot more, but i haven't looked at that thread in a while so i don't recall exactly.

    just make sure you read as much as you can and have an understanding of how it all works. most people seem to run into trouble when they jump into something without taking the time to figure out what they're doing, or not accurately following instructions.

    that said, be careful, cos you could potentially damage hardware.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i would suggest anyone interested in trying this read at least the first four or five pages of the thread referenced above. not all pres can handle 600. it seems hit or miss with the old ones, especially. i think the thread named above also has links to other threads and a wiki that will tell you a lot more, but i haven't looked at that thread in a while so i don't recall exactly

    just make sure you read as much as you can and have an understanding of how it all works. most people seem to run into trouble when they jump into something without taking the time to figure out what they're doing, or not accurately following instructions.

    that said, be careful, cos you could potentially damage hardware.
    that's the reason why I'm asking for his thread because I've been in some that I can't understand the steps I want a thread that's easy to understand, thanx though
  14. #14  
    Even if the phone dies because of the patch then you should be happy because you would be able to replace it at no cost to get a phone that can handle 600
  15.    #15  
    I knw but I need the thread wit the steps
  16. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #16  
    the steps are in the thread that was linked to above, in post #6. The best way to change these settings is to not use a patch at all, but to make your own changes. I don't know if there is a patch to run 600MHz in 1.3.5, since you need to make a change in a binary file (LunaSysMgr) to make the change stick.

    As for all of these rumors of phones dying and people having problems, much of it stems from people trying things they don't understand. Still, I've never heard of a phone messed up badly enough to not be recoverable. Also, all Pre phones can run at 600MHz without a problem. It's introducing the SmartReflex and frequency scaling stuff that can cause problems on some phones, and not on others. The 3D games written with the PDK run at 600MHz, has has been stated above.

    I say, if you want the speed boost (it's great, and I've been at 600MHz for many months), search the forums to learn what you need and give it a shot. I don't know of any way to make the phone unrecoverable trying this, so the most you stand to lose is all of your homebrew customizations.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    the steps are in the thread that was linked to above, in post #6. The best way to change these settings is to not use a patch at all, but to make your own changes. I don't know if there is a patch to run 600MHz in 1.3.5, since you need to make a change in a binary file (LunaSysMgr) to make the change stick.

    As for all of these rumors of phones dying and people having problems, much of it stems from people trying things they don't understand. Still, I've never heard of a phone messed up badly enough to not be recoverable. Also, all Pre phones can run at 600MHz without a problem. It's introducing the SmartReflex and frequency scaling stuff that can cause problems on some phones, and not on others. The 3D games written with the PDK run at 600MHz, has has been stated above.

    I say, if you want the speed boost (it's great, and I've been at 600MHz for many months), search the forums to learn what you need and give it a shot. I don't know of any way to make the phone unrecoverable trying this, so the most you stand to lose is all of your homebrew customizations.
    +1 and yep. This hack requires that you overwrite your LunaSysMgr and do so via the command line. This is a fast-track to requiring webOS Doctor if you don't know what you are doing. As mentioned, I already posted the link for you. The instructions are right there in the first post, simply fire up the Terminal or whatever your favorite method for command-line access to your Pre is, and enter the commands exactly as written. To simplify it for you, enter the exact commands as follows (just as it says in the thread):

    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    sed "s/500000/600000/g" LunaSysMgr > newlunasysmgr
    mv LunaSysMgr LunaSysMgr.orig
    mv newlunasysmgr LunaSysMgr
    chmod +x LunaSysMgr
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /
    pkill LunaSysMgr

    Good luck.
  18. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #18  
    I never knew you could use sed on a binary file :/
  19.    #19  
    do I enter on line at a time n then press enter?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I never knew you could use sed on a binary file :/
    would you prefer using vi?
    Live free or DIE!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions