1.    #1  
    I was surfing on my home wifi when I got an e-mail about a voicemail, yet my phone didn't ring. As I clicked around, the back cover began to get very very very warm. Then it was pretty darn hot. I was not able to make or take calls, as it said "Network Busy". The battery ran out. I threw it on the charger and left it all night. In the morning, dead as a doornail. I took it back to Verizon. Their display model showed the same thing I had, a "Battery Image with a thin red line at the bottom." Could this be a problem for a new series of phones? Anyone else have this? My new replacement has been working perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris073 View Post
    I was surfing on my home wifi when I got an e-mail about a voicemail, yet my phone didn't ring. As I clicked around, the back cover began to get very very very warm. Then it was pretty darn hot. I was not able to make or take calls, as it said "Network Busy". The battery ran out. I threw it on the charger and left it all night. In the morning, dead as a doornail. I took it back to Verizon. Their display model showed the same thing I had, a "Battery Image with a thin red line at the bottom." Could this be a problem for a new series of phones? Anyone else have this? My new replacement has been working perfect.
    No, your Pre is not dead, but explaining all the causes (from my memory) might take a bit, and I might not say this perfectly, but I'll try.

EDIT: I've modified the remainder of this post to describe the explanaitons for the problems that the OP was having. (Hopefully this will help some new users who end up having the same things happen to them.(

I was surfing on my home wifi when I got an e-mail about a voicemail, yet my phone didn't ring. ...
    On Sprint Pre's we've noticed similar behavior. While mentioning details (such as wifi) is generally good when describing problems, in this case wifi is mostly irrelevant. The CDMA data connection inside your house/structure is weaker than that outside the structure (even on your front porch or driveway a few yards away). If the signal is weak enough, the carrier sends the call to voicemail rather than ringing the phone. In cases such as yours, the carriers often recommend that you install a "femtocell" device (branded as an "Airave" on Sprint, not sure what Verizon calls this). The femtocell device acts like a minature cell tower in and around your house. Instead of using the carrier's data network, it uses your home broadband internet connection to carry the call (over VoIP, "Voice over Internet Protocol"). The femtocell device also has a GPS antenna that needs to be placed near a window where the sky is visible.

On Sprint, people with the problem you have experienced were often able to get Sprint to provide the femtocell device for free, and Sprint almost always also credited their accounts with a $5/month credit to offset the $5/month cost normally charged for femtocell service. If you are on Verizon and before your trial period is up, you have leverage with the carrier saying you won't continue your service unless they rectify the problem you are having with phone calls going straight to voicemail at home. The femtocell is likely what the solution will end up being.

... As I clicked around, the back cover began to get very very very warm. Then it was pretty darn hot. I was not able to make or take calls, as it said "Network Busy". ...
    The first part is something that often happens during the first day of using the phone. This is a combination of your battery not yet being conditioned and you letting the battery drain too far before recharging the first time or two. I had the exact same thing happen with mine at first. The reality is that the charger never supplied current to the phone all night but you had no way of knowing this. I found the workaround was to pull the battery and then to reinstall it and place the device on the charger again. You will see the "empty battery" symbol on the screen, but after about 10 or 15 minutes when the phone gets a bit of a charge, the phone should boot up into a normal mode where you see WebOS. If this does not happen, repeat removing the battery and restarting the charger. (You should not have to repeat this, but I'm mentioning it in the event that you are still stuck. I don't believe you will be still stuck, but if you remain so after two or three tiries, then you really do have a bad phone that should be replaced.)

... The battery ran out. I threw it on the charger and left it all night. In the morning, dead as a doornail. ... Anyone else have this? ...
    The Pre battery will not be fully conditioned until a few (perhaps 3) charge/discharge cycles have occurred. You might do well to power off and restart the phone after about the 3rd charge cycle. After this, the "battery guage" should be pretty reliable and your phone will stay charged for a reasonable period of time. If this period of time is still "unreasonable" to you, you either need to purchase a bigger (aftermarket) battery or you need to take steps to tune your phone to use less juice. Email and IM settings can sometimes drain extra juice, as well as simply using the phone for browsing or calls. Many people also report that turning the screen brightness down a bit helps them to save more juice. I just keep mine on the charger as much as possible and it usually has enough for when I'm in-between (unless I forget to keep it charged).

... Their display model showed the same thing I had, a "Battery Image with a thin red line at the bottom." ... My new replacement has been working perfect.
    Chalk it up to "inexperience" on the part of the store representatives. Eventually they will learn!

... Could this be a problem for a new series of phones? Anyone else have this? My new replacement has been working perfect. ...
    No, it's not really a new problem (and not really a problem at all), but it's something that Palm should train people how to spot. If they had a "battery conditioning insert" that they included with new phones, they could avoid many customers running into this problem (and avoid some unnecessary returns and customer frustration at the same time).
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/30/2010 at 03:19 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Thanks Sudoer for explaining, I know that your post has helped many people.
    I'm sorry, but I think your problem may have been caused by throwing your Pre on the charger!!!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    My first Pre did the same thing. All of a sudden, it quit making/receiving calls and messages. The lower, back part of the phone was getting really warm/hot. Did a battery pull, and still couldn't make calls. Did a complete reset, and the phone wouldn't connect to the network to make the activation call. I was in an area with a strong signal, and other Verizon customers were using their phones with no issues.

Had it swapped out the next day, and have been loving it since.
    Let me add that the one thing I'm not sure about is the "network busy" part. I guess if that happens to anyone else maybe rebooting the phone would be a good step. (You can hold in the power button for about 5 seconds and then a menu will appear. Choose the option to power off the phone. Let the phone cool (the lower area is usually the hot part). Then press and hold the power button for a second or two - the phone will eventually reboot.) See if it comes back up normally or still with the network busy problem. (We used to get network busy problems on Treo 600's (at least on Sprint) and usually it happened once the battery had become old.

I'm guessing a little battery conditioning might resolve the problem, but if not, or if it continues to get/stay very hot, then the battery itself is probably bad. If the phone itself seems otherwise solid (no creaks and no dead pixels), some one of you who is a bit adventurous should try just swapping in a new battery at the Verizon store and seeing if this resolves the problem. (If either battery conditioning, or swapping out the battery fixes things, it will allow future people to spend less time in the Verizon store.) This problem does sound similar to what Dieter experienced with his 2nd phone on the first day. It will be nice if you all can figure out exactly what's happening here.
  7.    #7  
    Gizzld had the exact same issue that I had.

This problem had nothing to do with battery conditioning. I've had dozens (and dozens) of devices over time that I have learned how to properly cycle and condition my battery. I have full Verizon signal at the time.

I had a Verizon engineer (a good one) check it out. The conclusion: The battery was the cause, it was defective. The battery voltage output somehow damaged the circuitry in the phone, causing the phone's radio (cellular, not wifi) to not work anymore. As we put a new battery in the phone, it booted fine, but the radio was still damaged and could not make or take calls.

The "network busy" message I got was just a standard message the Pre gives if it can't reach a tower, basically a timeout message.

The only fix was a full phone replacement. I have already conditioned the batter on my new replacement Pre. Everything is working good, and I get pretty much get a full day of heavy usage. I also picked up the new Seido case that works with the Touchstone. It works perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the feedback though.
    Thanks chris073,
    That settles that the issue was not battery conditioning then. It seems as if a significant people have been having this same problem on the Verizon Pre Plus. Hopefully they will be able to figure out the cause soon (and eliminate the defect).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I think your problem may have been caused by throwing your Pre on the charger!!!
    Just delete your account now.. do us all the favor