1.    #1  
    I belong to Sprint and have had the phone since the release. I love my pre but I have noticed that 3D Games have a tendency to eat up all the 256MB of RAM causing the too many cards open syndrome. Most solutions lead to restarting the phone, waiting a couple minutes and then opening the application. I have Assassin Creed and NFS and noticed that if I switch to Airplane mode the application will open up without the message. Once the application is opened I can turn off airplane mode and continue playing. I do not know if this topic has been discussed but I thought it was worth sharing.
    I hadn't thought about enabling Airplane Mode. Good info.

I have NFS and have experienced the "cards" problem a few times at startup, but it will open on a 2nd or 3rd attempt.
    i have experienced this as well. i would recommend installing the luna manager from Preware and doing a luna restart using the manager. it usually takes about 30 secs (much faster than a full restart) and works like a charm. i suspect that it clears up memory that hasnt been put back into the pool by closed applications.
    I always use the luna restart but I did try to use airplan mode to see if I could get Sims to open but it didn't work.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I had a similar issue but after cleaning out all of my patches, for now the situation has improved. I have no idea which patch in particular caused the problem but post EPR my machine is running much better. Give that a try and then try reinstalling each patch one by one to find the culprit.

Now if you have no patches of any kind installed....then dang! Hope the situation improves for you.
  6.    #6  
    well it works for me but you can not have any cards open though. The only thing I don't have the sims game.
    I believe this to just be a lack of optimization from the developers. I got Asphalt 5 right when it was launched and it gave me the too many cards open problem most of the time. After patching it, I can launch it without issues most of the time, even when other games from Gameloft such as Assassin's Creed and Brothers in Arms won't launch. Of course, those later games haven't been patched yet. So they likely just push them out immediately after they're done porting them over and do little to no optimizing until a patch or two.

I also got Glyder and Giant Fighting Robots and those never gave me issues. Need For Speed was very problematic until it got patched.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    This has been happening to me a lot lately.. no cards open, go to open a game and get hit with "Too many cards". They seriously need to fix this ASAP..
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I downloaded the FREE Asphalt 5 demo to get my first look at 3D games on the Pre and while the download seems to go well (takes a while, but completes without error) and the subsequent install completes without error as well, when launching the game the screen simply flashes black and then back to the desktop...nothing. I've tried restarts and reinstalls but, same thing.

I'm unsure about purchasing any 3D games before I figure this out....

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    same thing happens to me with assasins creed and asphalt demo, except 90% of the time it does NOTHING, no too many cards error or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juk3B0x View Post
    I downloaded the FREE Asphalt 5 demo to get my first look at 3D games on the Pre and while the download seems to go well (takes a while, but completes without error) and the subsequent install completes without error as well, when launching the game the screen simply flashes black and then back to the desktop...nothing. I've tried restarts and reinstalls but, same thing.

I'm unsure about purchasing any 3D games before I figure this out....

Any ideas?
    People have better luck if you restart your phone after the download and installation of the game completes. Don't hit the launch button from the App Catalog as soon as the game is finished installing, instead, close the App Catalog, restart the phone then play the game. I have done this for all the games I purchased and never had the problem you describe. I do however get the "too many cards" problem if I have used my phone for a while opening and closing other apps before trying to play one of those 3d games. The games least susceptible to these problems seem to be Brain Challenge and X Plane.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    People have better luck if you restart your phone after the download and installation of the game completes. Don't hit the launch button from the App Catalog as soon as the game is finished installing, instead, close the App Catalog, restart the phone then play the game. I have done this for all the games I purchased and never had the problem you describe. I do however get the "too many cards" problem if I have used my phone for a while opening and closing other apps before trying to play one of those 3d games. The games least susceptible to these problems seem to be Brain Challenge and X Plane.
    tried multiple scenarios of that, thanks though :\

must be some patch i have or something :\
    Guys try to delete your cache and your history. That def. helped eliminate the error for me.
    ive actually had multiple apps open w/ NFS open as well, like 5-6 maybe more only 5 fit in the pic i took
    The airplane mode trick actually worked for me....go figure.
    Been testing different variations of this and have narrowed it to "dirty shutdowns" of 3rd party apps. Meaning when you flick them closed, they don't completely stop doing what they were supposed to. I tested using only native apps for an 6-7 hour period and was able to go in and out of NFS, A5, Glyder2, & AC without issue.

Did a full shut down and restart, then over the same time period, used various third party apps. I DID get the "TMC" error when trying to launch Glyder and AC but not NFS or A5. Instead of a reboot however, I tried a "Java Restart" using the Luna Manager app and was able to play without rebooting. I figure the Java restart force-closed those lingering processes that were sucking the memory.

Next step is to create control groups of apps and try to find the offenders. A test for anyone else, clean boot your phone and go without 3rd party apps for a bit and see if you are able to go in and out of the 3D games without issue.
    to stop the "too many cards" thing i just use Luna Manager Java Restart, once java is done restarting it works perfectly.
    lemme guess we goin to get an app killer like the androids lol, this issue is hardware sadly, n the restarts is the best (n long solution). Though I will install luna manager. I did read on another topic how stupid android promotes free apps, but the phone can't run them. It's ironic we get killer apps but we can't run them unless we got free ram. Now be best for a pre+