Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, I am a newbee here at palm. Just ordered my Pre Plus & will receive it on Monday or Tuesday this week. I switched from blackberry because webos is awesome & im tired of the same crap with blackberry. I have one question though; Since Verizon reported that all their phones will faze out the EV indicator with the 3G indicator, why does the pre plus have EV & not 3G instead?
    evdo is pretty much the same thing as 3g
    EVDO is the "3G" equivalent on CDMA, which Verizon uses as well.
  4.    #4  
    O ok....maybe on the 1.4 update that will chage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riventura View Post
    Why does it have to change?
    it will not. Mine says 4g!

[IMG][/IMG]
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    yeah why?
    If you're getting an EV signal you are getting 3G speeds.
    If it really bothers you, you can change the icon manually. It takes less then a minute to do if you already have root or WebOS Quick Install already set up. I have a pack of 4G icons in a variety of colors if you'd like those. I could make some 3G icons also.
    I think the latest Evdo connections are actually faster than the 3g network.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    I think the latest Evdo connections are actually faster than the 3g network.
    I think it still falls under the 3rd Generation(3G) name though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If it really bothers you, you can change the icon manually. It takes less then a minute to do if you already have root or WebOS Quick Install already set up. I have a pack of 4G icons in a variety of colors if you'd like those. I could make some 3G icons also.
    the patch might be better for him he doesn't need to root anything.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Should I be worried my Pre says Warp Speed instead of EV or 3G?
    EVDO and 3G are synonymous, but because AT&T has invested so much money into promoting "3G" Verizon is making this name switch across the board. The underlying technology isn't going to change though.

I could see this being changed in 1.4 because it is a branding switch that Verizon wants and it would be very easy to do. It's certainly not worth trying to patch on your own
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    EVDO and 3G are synonymous, but because AT&T has invested so much money into promoting "3G" Verizon is making this name switch across the board. The underlying technology isn't going to change though.

I could see this being changed in 1.4 because it is a branding switch that Verizon wants and it would be very easy to do. It's certainly not worth trying to patch on your own
    It's worth patching if you want to change it. It's simply replacing two images... This change is even safe to keep while you install a WebOS update.
    I just did it and its as dope as it get.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Evdo is the older slower brother of 3G, but have comparable speeds most of the time. Scientifically speaking, 3G is faster than Evdo.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Evdo is the older slower brother of 3G, but have comparable speeds most of the time. Scientifically speaking, 3G is faster than Evdo.
    Uh, no! You couldn't be more wrong.

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/37/61/
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Some confusion here.

EVDO rev.0 is the first generation of 3G used by Verizon and Sprint. Speeds were quite a bit faster than the 1xRTT (2G data) they had been using, but still not amazingly fast.
    EVDO rev.A is truly competitive 3G speed comparable to anything else out there that is called 3G.

The Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus both use EVDO rev.A which makes them genuine 3G devices with broadband speeds up to 3.8Mbps which is where DSL was a few years ago.

4G in the case of Sprint refers to Wimax which is not supported by any current handset, only wireless aircards. The current 4G service is 5-20Mbps depending on the area you are in. By 2012 Wimax2 will be rolled out nationwide to support up to 100Mbps.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Hey everyone, I am a newbee here at palm. Just ordered my Pre Plus & will receive it on Monday or Tuesday this week. I switched from blackberry because webos is awesome & im tired of the same crap with blackberry. I have one question though; Since Verizon reported that all their phones will faze out the EV indicator with the 3G indicator, why does the pre plus have EV & not 3G instead?
    The Verizon Pre's will say 3G from WebOS 1.4 and on. I wrote about this on another thread where I saw a demo of the Video recorder on the Pre Plus and it said 3G instead of EV.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast