Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just watched a Pre Plus demo video from CES and it definitely said Ev. Go look up the mobileburn video, it's in HD and has nice close-ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Evdo is the older slower brother of 3G, but have comparable speeds most of the time. Scientifically speaking, 3G is faster than Evdo.
    That's pretty funny considering Ev-DO is 3G.

3G is not a specific technology. It's not GSM or CDMA.

On GSM, 3G is known by many names. UMTS, HSPA, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, etc.

On CDMA, 3G is generally known by only one name: Ev-DO. There are other qualifiers such as Rev. 0 and Rev. A. There is also an SVDO, though to my knowledge that has not actually been deployed anywhere.

As to your argument about GSM vs. CDMA (or let's be honest, AT&T vs. Sprint), the speeds a customer sees are much more a function of backhaul capacity and not the actual technology used. AT&T is having to seriously upgrade their backhaul as they move to 7.2Mb HSDPA, because otherwise the technology upgrade wouldn't result in any speed improvement.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    That's pretty funny considering Ev-DO is 3G.

3G is not a specific technology. It's not GSM or CDMA.

On GSM, 3G is known by many names. UMTS, HSPA, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, etc.

On CDMA, 3G is generally known by only one name: Ev-DO. There are other qualifiers such as Rev. 0 and Rev. A. There is also an SVDO, though to my knowledge that has not actually been deployed anywhere.

As to your argument about GSM vs. CDMA (or let's be honest, AT&T vs. Sprint), the speeds a customer sees are much more a function of backhaul capacity and not the actual technology used. AT&T is having to seriously upgrade their backhaul as they move to 7.2Mb HSDPA, because otherwise the technology upgrade wouldn't result in any speed improvement.
    thanks for clearing that up for people. It bugs me like crazy when people post about stuff that they have no clue about.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    EVDO can be the same speed as EDGE(2G) at times, it is an older technology compared to newer GSM 3G technologies.
    it was a test from palm and verizon, you failed though since you went public to find out the answer.

its almost the same speeds dude, yeah a weaker technology but hey they work almost the same. if your really detailed and feel like the EV on the top right will bug you since your friends iphone says 3g on theirs then go root your pre and mess with it. but no matter what it still says EV there.
    Well, actually this is not widely known. But both 1xRTT and EvDO are considered 3G. Sometimes people call 1x 2.5G, but it does meet all the requirements to be classified as 3G. So if they had a 3G icon it would have to be shown at all times. AT&T just came in late, marketing 3G; but both Sprint and Verizon had 3G networks from long before.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    EVDO can be the same speed as EDGE(2G) at times, it is an older technology compared to newer GSM 3G technologies.
    Will you just stop spreading your misinformation?! Did you even look at the link I posted earlier or read any of the other info from other members??

Where is your backup regarding all these false claims???

Do some research before posting garbage like this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12