1.    #1  
    I just got my pre yesterday and I got the pixi for my fiancee. I choose the palm after researching because it seemed like the perfect phone for me. And...I was right, it is so easy to manage. My fiancee who never had a phone besides a free piece of junk picked up the phone and in one minute was working with the phone like she is a tech savvy person. This is my first Palm product and I am really happy with it. The software and freedom is so sweet! So in the end why did you choose a Pre or a Pre +?

p.s. The guy at the verizon store was raving about the phone and every sales customer were talking about how great the phone is. So maybe the sales rep are starting to get of the droid kick. (ok most likely not, but still it was nice to see a rep pushing the pre and not the droid)
    I like Palm products. I purchased one of the first Palm organizer, the M100 and I also have a Zire 71. When I heard Sprint was coming out with the Palm Pre I knew I had to get one. My original phone was the Motorola Razr and I loved the idea of moving to a smartphone on the Sprint network. I surely did not want to leave Sprint to get an iPhone but it was tempting. After comparing the data and voice packaging on AT&T versus Sprint, I decided to stick with Sprint. I've been a customer since 1998.

I love the Pre. Just last week my screen cracked (manufacturers defect) from the inside, it started at the button. I was lost without the usage of the touchscreen for 3 days but now I have a new Pre.

Welcome to PreWorld.
    Last edited by debsawyer; 01/30/2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Good to have another Palm user.

I have been with Palm for a long time. And I have been with Sprint for a long time also.

The primary reason is that I cannot afford the crazy data plans of Verizon and AT&T. Also AT&T's reception is not good in our area. Sprint has worked well for me. I agree, Verizon has better network, when my wife was with Verizon. But the difference for me does not worth that much.

I did noy pick other phones on Sprint because I like the portaiy keyboard. The first time I saw Treo 600, I like the form factor. Most of the PPC phones were big and landscape keyboard just don't appeal to me. It is ridiculous to make calls or do simple look ups in landscape, then when you really want to type, you have to rotate the device. So this left the only other choice BB. BB had some advantages with my work email, that's how I got one. But back then, there were no touch screen, not a lot of apps, and I really hated the dial on the side. I felt most of my time with BB, I have been scrolling. I did like the BB keyboard a lot. And typing was equally if not better than Treo. Still, I did not want an email device. I wanted a PDA and phone.

So, once I knew Palm OS was dying and Palm was making a new OS, I had been waiting. Centro came out. It was a good phone, cheaper and more stable. I liked it a lot. I sacrificed on the keyboard, but did not loose any functionality. So I got used to the small keyboard. This led to Pre.

As you can see, I am interested in a better keyboard. I did not mind the size of Treo, but Pre fits so nicely in hand, I am not sure I could go back to a larger device. Even iPhone feels too big not. But if Palm can come out with a Treo keyboard Pre device, I would be interested, but not sure if I would move. Price could be a factor at that time.
    I had been a Blackberry user since the earliest days of their RIM pager-like existence. They were simply the most effective business productivity and corporate connectivity tools. In recent years, however, I've suffered through plenty of device envy as the iPhone and other touch-screen tools of productivity AND entertainment flodded the market. My corporate incentives make Sprint the only viable carrier so the iPhone wasn't an option for me without taking on considerable additional cost (which some of my co-workers have done), and being a generally happy Blackberry user, I wasn't sufficiently motivated to make the switch. When the Pre was released, I looked at it briefly, but it was undersold to me by Sprint reps who refered to it as a "toy instead of a tool" and while I liked it, I was concerned about lost productivity. In contrast, when Sprint released their Android options (the Hero, Moment, etc.) there was less concern and like the Droid, they were more heavily encouraged. As such, a few months ago I switched from my Blackberry 8830 to the Samsung Moment.....it was a nightmare. Out of absolute frustration with the Moment (battery life, coverage, OS instability, features, productivity issues, apps, etc., etc....) I asked Sprint to switch my account to a demo Pre that we had in the office before a weekend where I knew that I would need a more reliable phone. By Monday I was a Pre geek and completely enthralled with the device. I called our Sprint rep and told them that I didn't care what they did with my Moment but I was keeping the Pre. I continue to be impressed by it, and a big part of my positive experience has been due to PreCentral, homebrew apps, and this user community.

Can't say enough about it. I feel like I have a "toy" AND a "tool" with the Pre and while I have a ton of fun with it, I don't feel like I've missed an iota of productivity.

So thanks Palm, and thanks PreCentral!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juk3B0x View Post
    I had been a Blackberry user since the earliest days of their RIM pager-like existence. They were simply the most effective business productivity and corporate connectivity tools. In recent years, however, I've suffered through plenty of device envy as the iPhone and other touch-screen tools of productivity AND entertainment flodded the market. My corporate incentives make Sprint the only viable carrier so the iPhone wasn't an option for me without taking on considerable additional cost (which some of my co-workers have done), and being a generally happy Blackberry user, I wasn't sufficiently motivated to make the switch. When the Pre was released, I looked at it briefly, but it was undersold to me by Sprint reps who refered to it as a "toy instead of a tool" and while I liked it, I was concerned about lost productivity. In contrast, when Sprint released their Android options (the Hero, Moment, etc.) there was less concern and like the Droid, they were more heavily encouraged. As such, a few months ago I switched from my Blackberry 8830 to the Samsung Moment.....it was a nightmare. Out of absolute frustration with the Moment (battery life, coverage, OS instability, features, productivity issues, apps, etc., etc....) I asked Sprint to switch my account to a demo Pre that we had in the office before a weekend where I knew that I would need a more reliable phone. By Monday I was a Pre geek and completely enthralled with the device. I called our Sprint rep and told them that I didn't care what they did with my Moment but I was keeping the Pre. I continue to be impressed by it, and a big part of my positive experience has been due to PreCentral, homebrew apps, and this user community.

Can't say enough about it. I feel like I have a "toy" AND a "tool" with the Pre and while I have a ton of fun with it, I don't feel like I've missed an iota of productivity.

Welcome to the Precentral community! Excellent 1st post, if you have not checked out Preware, I highly recommend it.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    The Cards! I chose the Pre at first because it uses the most intuitive and beautiful UI out there and WEBOS still is. The form factor is great but it is the multitasking cards that really drew me in. I waited in line on launch day back in June and my lovely fiance waited with me. She needed a new phone also but wasn't planning on the Pre, she just wanted a freebie. After seeing my Pre for only a few minutes she changed her mind and bought a pre also. Its been 8 months now and we are both still hooked. When I heard about the Pre plus I got a little jealous but it didn't seem worth the increased cost of VZW plans and Sprint has been great for me. I'll be sticking with my Pre atleast until a new WEBOS phone with WiFi is announced at sprint.
    One of my favorite aspects of the Pre is the form factor; it seems like Smartphones lately have been getting bigger and bigger. I used to have a RAZR and loved to have such a small device; I realized when i was carrying around my Droid that this rediculous and I needed to get back to a smaller phone.

What other factors did I like and pursuaded me to switch;
    1) WebOS is gorgeos and fun to use
    2) Physical keyboard and multitasking (need both but wouldn't mind having an onscreen keyboard for tapping out a quick reply).
    3) Web Browsing is fantastic (especially when we get flash)
    4) App Quality is top notch (just need more)
    5) User Replaceable Batteries
    6) Synchronization with Google and Yahoo
    7) Email is great

Overall, I definitely like the device a lot. Had an iPhone 3GS and Droid; while I like both of them for different things, the Pre is really a great overall device.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I picked up the pre because of my past use of the Palm Treo 700p, that was a good phone for me, but this new webOS is really something, in my humble opinion it beats the iPhone hands down, the form factor of the Pre is perfect, it just fits into your hand like it was always meant to be there.

The webOS is really amazing, once more apps get out there this phone will be even better, right now I have down loaded several apps mostly free ones but a couple of paid apps and I have not been disappointed yet with any of the down loads.

Apple can crow all they want about their 120,000 apps, but think about it for a minute, can you even review that many apps , I get lost in the limited amount of apps the Palm Pre has as it is. Yes the Pre needs some more apps, but at a certain point you have to many and great apps will just get lost in the clutter rarely to be found.

I would venture that 95% of the apps for the iPhone are not that great and I have read about phony Apple app reviews in the past of substandard programs.

Keep quality apps coming and we will be better off, stick with quality instead of quantity.

Back to the phone, I was able to pick up the basic's of the Pre in just a few minutes, now I am starting to dig a little deeper into the webOS system and so far it has not disappointed.

The build quality of the phone is good in my opinion, yes it does have moving parts unlike the Apple iPhone, but in my opinion the Palm Pre is very well built, solid if you will.

I love the ability to multitask, having multiple cards running is great. The one problem and I hope Palm is working on a fix is the GPS does not properly locate your position, you have to fiddle with settings to get it to locate you properly. This seems to be a Verizon issue as the Sprint users have not noted the same problem, now is it something that changed in the Pre Plus from the Pre or is it something with the Verizon network?

Out side of the GPS issue I think Palm has built a very nice phone that is of high quality and easy to learn and use. Palm clearly built a winner.
    Last edited by john3976; 01/30/2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juk3B0x View Post

That's funny, I was given the EXACT same line; it was just a toy. Not sure if these guys have ever even really looked at this device. Then again, the AT&T reps also referred to the iPhone as a toy, and most educated people know there is some power to that device as a business tool as well.

I have a Blackberry provided by my employer and can honestly say that if I could ditch that, i would in a heartbeat. While my Pre is my personal device, I actually enjoy using it and have been using it more for work purposes than the work provided Blackberry! The Blackberry is a chore and boring in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    The multi-tasking is just amazing, this is the best OS for phone on the market. It may not be as fully developed as Android or Iphone, but Palm is pumping through updates at an unbelievable rate. In no time the pre will be bug free and have all the components we want.

To demonstrate the multi-tasking, yesterday I was taking the train to a client and I was on a conference call that lasted about an hour. When I arrived at the station I needed to text my coworker to come get me. While still being on the conference call, I was able to:
    Pull up contact info for my coworker
    send her a text message letting her know I was there and the address
    set up an appointment in my calendar for later that day
    Pull up an email to reference for the conference call

It is ridiculously easy to get from one card to another, Palm nailed it.

That does not sound like a toy to me....
    I had a dream, a giant palm pre was sitting in the chair staring at me while I slept. I heard it beep and woke up. It flashed a message at me. Its difficult to go back there. Although the counselors I've talked with since I have said I have to explore it...... Lets just say, I have a palm pre. I bought the girlfriend a pixi, and I still can't sleep with the lights out!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I was a WM user since 2000 and was a huge fan boy but after coming to PreCentral I was hooked. I dropped what was my current WM phone and I'm never going to look back as that it seems WebOs is here to stay. On a side note this shows how strong I feel toward's WebOs is that yesterday I deleted everything I had associated with WM from my computer. I had a database of programs, tweaks, Themes, Roms, Kitchen's, everything I have collected over the last 10 years I deleted.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I'm not an Apple hipster. Sprint's data network (fastest of the bunch imo). Sprint's yearly phone upgrades. WebOS. Jon Rubinstein. $37.50 monthly service plan. Multitasking. Physical keyboard.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I chose the Palm Pre after doing a mass amount of research on different smartphones. I originally was waiting on a rumored BB Tour w/ an optical trackpad, then I stumbled across the HTC Hero. I played w/ Android based devices. I even had applications picked out for my new Hero.

Funny, I've posted this before, but I actually bad mouthed the Pre when it first came out. The size of it was too small, the keys were like my wife's centro- too small. I played with it in the store, but didn't know how to work it, so I just hated it... I told people that it was crap too.

I finally watched endless reviews on the Hero, Pre, even the iPhone. The concept of the Pre just seemed right. I watched reviews on the Pre then. I went to the store and gave it a second chance...I loved it.

Short story long, lol, I love my Pre. Yes, it has its quirks. No, the hardware is not the strongest. It is not the fastest device either. But it does multitask, and I think it does what it does the best. I would definitely buy it all over again.
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    I was shopping for a new carrier and had never had a Palm product before. One of my employees(A system admin) told me about this new device that was abuout to launch on Sprint. I was looking at the iPhone at the time but really hated AT&T so I started reading about the Palm Pre and boom, I fell for it. I convinced my wife (Who had never used a smart phone or a touch screen before) to get it as well. We both now cannot live without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost 13 View Post
    The Cards! I chose the Pre at first because it uses the most intuitive and beautiful UI out there and WEBOS still is. The form factor is great but it is the multitasking cards that really drew me in. I waited in line on launch day back in June and my lovely fiance waited with me. She needed a new phone also but wasn't planning on the Pre, she just wanted a freebie. After seeing my Pre for only a few minutes she changed her mind and bought a pre also. Its been 8 months now and we are both still hooked. When I heard about the Pre plus I got a little jealous but it didn't seem worth the increased cost of VZW plans and Sprint has been great for me. I'll be sticking with my Pre atleast until a new WEBOS phone with WiFi is announced at sprint.
    Thats what I wanted to write here. I become member of this forum last October and when Pre was available in the UK I quickly sold my iPhone 3Gs and get the Pre.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I've been with Sprint for 12 years and I always researched the phones before I bought one.I never had a smartphone, just didn't think I needed one,till I got tired of closing an app to go to another and close that app and come back to the one before. Read about the Pre and how it could multi-task and it got my attention. Got one on launch day, still have the same one and know my Son has a Pre and his girlfriend has the Pixi as well. I just recently put Preware on my phone and now I'm really having fun and I would suggest it to anyone who wants to add features to the phone that they miss or need. Anybody not sure of what they are doing, this forum has plenty of help to guide you through the process.
    Had an ipod touch and loved it. Then, picked up a pre and have not put it down in 2 months. Best looking phone on the market!
    around time my contract was about to expire did some research about it when i heard about it on ces.
    went to a sprint store played with it liked it bought it never looked back