1. arg
    I've looked far and wide for an entry that covers this without success.

If people can point me to the right thread I'd appreciate it.

I use Google Apps email (Gmail) as my "server". Others send me meeting invitations that properly show up in my Outlook through Google - including meeting invitation options etc.

For some reason, this does not translate through to my Palm Pre. I get the email with the meeting details, but no invitation accept or reject options. A colleague who lives on an Exchange Server for email has no such issues.

So my question is.

Is anyone aware of any development effort either by Palm or by 3rd party developers where this issue is resolved?

Also is this really a Google Apps (Gmail) issue or a Palm issue or both?

Thanks to all who contribute, this is a great forum!!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arg View Post

I use Google Apps email (Gmail) as my "server". Others send me meeting invitations that properly show up in my Outlook through Google - including meeting invitation options etc.

For some reason, this does not translate through to my Palm Pre. I get the email with the meeting details, but no invitation accept or reject options. A colleague who lives on an Exchange Server for email has no such issues.

So my question is.

Is anyone aware of any development effort either by Palm or by 3rd party developers where this issue is resolved?

You kind of answered your own concerns there>>>> IF it comes thru Google to Outlook just fine BUT does NOT pass thru to Pre I believe it is a Palm issue. Just my opinion, I could be wrong too !. Palm OS could be looking at it as an attachment and NOT attach it, maybe? Then again Google Mobile side of syncing MAYNOT attach it too.. So, IF you attach a file on your Goole email does it show up on your palm? try that then you can rule out thatGoogle DOES send attachments and it justcould be a formatting issue on either parties. I use cable to sync my Pre and NOT cloud computing hence I don't encounter this issue. Sorry If I was no help.
  3. arg
    No issues on attaching files in gmail to my palm.

Interesting that your cable synch process appears to overcome the issue. I'll try that and see what the result is.
    Thanks.
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts

So my question is.

Palm and Google are both aware of this. The Palm Pre does not handle or otherwise process meeting invitations. You need to set your Google Apps e-mail to automatically add meeting invitations to your calendar. By doing this, you can still see when invitations are sent to you (the e-mail message itself will still arrive in your inbox), and you can always reject the invitations when you get back to a computer with Outlook, but the Pre cannot actually process meeting invitations (either incoming or outgoing).
  5. arg
    Thanks.

So to your knowledge is this on their development list or not?

Seems like I can't be the only one with this frustration...
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Thanks.

So to your knowledge is this on their development list or not?

Seems like I can't be the only one with this frustration...
    I haven't read either way (that it is or that it isn't). There are quite a number of us who would prefer to have the Pre have the ability to handle meeting invitations, but the fact that Google has a work-around (i.e. - to automatically process meeting invitations upon receipt) at least gives us some assistance. To fully outline how I personally work-around the invite issue:

1. For incoming invites, I have my Google Apps Premier e-mail automatically add incoming meeting invitations to my Google Apps Premier calendar.

1a. If I don't want to accept a meeting invite, I can merely delete the meeting from my calendar on the Pre.

2. To send invites to events from my Pre, I access my Google Apps Premier calendar via the Pre web browser, and add the invite by editing the event in the browser. When I save the change, Google automatically sends the invite.

An side note - the accepting of invites for Google Apps calendar events is also an issue in Thunderbird for those using the Google Provider add-on. Having Google Apps e-mail automatically add incoming meeting invitations to the calendar also provides a work-around for that problem. It kills 2 birds with 1 stone for me

So my question is.

I've not used Outlook until recently until about 7 months ago, and never have gotten appointment invites (I only have it pull from my Exchange Server).

By any chance, does it treat the appointment invites as a POP message? If so, is it pulling it down and deleting it before it's pulled to the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Palm and Google are both aware of this. The Palm Pre does not handle or otherwise process meeting invitations. You need to set your Google Apps e-mail to automatically add meeting invitations to your calendar. By doing this, you can still see when invitations are sent to you (the e-mail message itself will still arrive in your inbox), and you can always reject the invitations when you get back to a computer with Outlook, but the Pre cannot actually process meeting invitations (either incoming or outgoing).
    That's interesting to hear/read. I was not aware of this one. All of my meeting invitations are at work on a closed GroupWise system, which I sync using CompanionLink. I wasn't aware of this one. I'm going to experiment with this some tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
    Silly rabbit, Pre is for kids.
    As far as a Pre with Exchange server is concerned, accepting meeting invites will not go to your calendar. Try reading a forwarded email from anther Palm Pre, nope. Opening some .jpg formats, nope. Opening some .wav formats, nope. Calendar will not sync without manually setting time zone (and then will you trust it to sync?). If you have an email forwarded to you as an .eml extension your out of luck, Pre wont open it. For the most part if your Treo opened it don’t assume your Pre will. Upgrading from a Treo the above worked, Pre not.