View Poll Results: Do you miss the old way of minimizing alerts? (swipe down)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I miss the old way to dismiss alerts and launcher

    5 45.45%
  • No I like the new way better.

    1 9.09%
  • I could care less and use either method equally well.

    5 45.45%
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I do I do.

    This was so intuative to swipe down to minimize notifications.

    I hope Palm brings this back.


    anyone else miss the old way?
  2. #2  
    I've always swiped over to the right to minimize notifications....
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I've always swiped over to the right to minimize notifications....
    To the left for me -- I'm left-handed.
  4. jrburdet's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #4  
    Me me me me. I think about that every time I have to deal with notifications, how much I miss all the swipe down gestures. I also always swiped the launcher pane down into the gesture area to minimize that too. My heart broke when they took that away.

    While I generally don't use a whole lot of patches, if someone were to put these back in I would install them in the blink of an eye.
    Last edited by jrburdet; 01/30/2010 at 07:11 AM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I've always swiped over to the right to minimize notifications....
    doesnt swiping left or right Dismiss the notification, rather than minimizing it? I havent swiped a Notif in a while, so i dont remember.

    I usually just tap anywhere on the screen except the notif area, and that minimizes the notification.
  6. #6  
    ^ Yeah, you're right. I swipe notifications a lot heh.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    I do I do.

    This was so intuative to swipe down to minimize notifications.

    I hope Palm brings this back.


    anyone else miss the old way?
    I disagree. It's intuitive for me (and I suspect for most) to swipe something in the direction that it's going to go. So, when swiping a notification off-screen, I swipe to the side - and that's where it goes.

    When bringing up the launcher, if I were to swipe (I just the wave), I'd swipe up because it appears to move in the direction of such a swipe. Intuitive. To close the launcher, I'd swipe down because when it disappears, it moves in the direction of a downward swipe. But that doesn't work. COUNTERintuitive (though, for good reason).

    Now, I just press the launcher icon. That's intuitive, enough.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  8. laze's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    #8  
    I too miss the swipe down gestures. I wasn't aware of the notification one, but I did use a downward swipe to close the launcher. Bring it back Palm.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
  9. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I disagree. It's intuitive for me (and I suspect for most) to swipe something in the direction that it's going to go. So, when swiping a notification off-screen, I swipe to the side - and that's where it goes.

    When bringing up the launcher, if I were to swipe (I just the wave), I'd swipe up because it appears to move in the direction of such a swipe. Intuitive. To close the launcher, I'd swipe down because when it disappears, it moves in the direction of a downward swipe. But that doesn't work. COUNTERintuitive (though, for good reason).

    Now, I just press the launcher icon. That's intuitive, enough.
    To be honest neither of these are completely intuitive. I didn't even know that gestures could be minimized until I read the the method got changed. I then forgot how the new method worked until I went back and read the article about the change.

    Now that I know I would say either method works for me. I do think that a downward swipe is more "natural" though.In my mind the left and right gestures below the screen are for switching applications. Having the same gesture for minimizing notifications is a little overload.
    Last edited by miata; 01/30/2010 at 08:07 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    To be honest neither of these are completely intuitive. I didn't even know that gestures could be minimized until I read the the method got changed. I then forgot how the new method worked until I went back and read the article about the change.

    NOw that I know I would said either method works for me. I do think that a downward swipe is more "natural" though.In my mind the left and right gestures below the screen are for switching applications. Having the same gesture for minimizing notifications is a little overload.
    Could you explain why? You keep saying it's not intuitive without explaining further.

    That's fine, of course, but after reading your post, I'm no closer to agreeing with or even understanding your point-of-view than I was beforehand.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11.    #11  
    Poll added....let the masses decide. Lol

    honestly though how is swiping up to dismiss the launcher intuative?


    Sliding left or right on the gesture area works of course, but far less intuative.


    Tapping on the screen is a little more intuative, but when you're in an active card like web you accidentally wind up pressing links and stuff by accident.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Poll added....let the masses decide. Lol

    honestly though how is swiping up to dismiss the launcher intuative?
    Someone said it was?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13.    #13  
    yeah.........me.


    it came about with the minimizing alert change and since were talking intuative gestures I figured I'd throw that into the mix as an example the changes weren't so intuative.
  14. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Could you explain why? You keep saying it's not intuitive without explaining further.
    My English was a little sloppy above. First, I didn't even realize that you could minimize notifications -- never mind the specific gestures. The concept was not even in my GUI interaction vocabulary. I thought that you could only either dismiss or respond to the notifications. But then even after I read that the method had changed I couldn't remember the new method. To be honest, after reading the article about the change the old method stuck in my brain. I could easily recall the "swipe down" gesture. I then started wondering why I could not get it to work. I eventually concluded that the gesture minimization function had been removed, since it did not work any more.

    Maybe my problem was more basic. Now, that I know that you can minimize notifications -- and that the method is a little unintuitive I'll probably recall the side swipe gestures. I guess only time will tell.

Posting Permissions