Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just thinking out loud here, but about 8 or so months ago when Palm announced that the Pre would be exclusive on Sprint, Verizon made a public statement that they would be carrying it in 6 months time. They obviously did this so existing customers wouldn't leave Verizon's network to buy a Palm Pre, causing the Pre to have a terrible launch on Sprint, despite Sprint's effort to market the heck out of the phone (even on television shows).

Fast forward to today and Verizon picks up the Pre Plus. Not a single commercial, not even billboards, anywhere. Even when I walked into the store, the Verizon rep and I spoke about the same fact, that Verizon did nothing to launch the Pre, but they marketed Droid like nothing else.

I'm beginning to wonder if either Verizon wanted to see Palm take a back seat to Droid (possible $ from Google) or Verizon really didn't get want they wanted from a deal with Palm and tried to hose them....

Does anyone else think it's awfully strange that the Pre is available on Verizon only by word of mouth or news announcements? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a commercial yet...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've heard commercials on the radio.....but that's about it. I think it's more like they were trying to take the wind out of Sprints sails.....and Palm is collateral damage.
    Based on the fact that verizon did nothing for advertising the palm pre, i wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to kill off palm. Despite how good the phone is, they refuse to acknowledge it as any real competition to the droid. Its really not too fair considering moto would be good and gone right now if google/verizon didn't literally resurrect them from the grave.
    Did you take off your tin foil hat to post this? i dont think they are trying to kill palm, if that were so i dont think they would be stocking palm pre's in the first place.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm with mjdk00. Networks only care about their subscribers. They don't want to see manufacturers suffer but they will let them die if they think it will help their bottom line. Verizon are most likely just focusing on paying off the debt from the Alltel acquisition. Other than the Droid launch they haven't run much since the first run of Map for That commercials. And remember the Droid commercials while pletiful at the time weren't exactly long lived.
    I don't believe Verizon is trying to kill off Palm...I did make an observation...there must be some issues of keeping up with some demand as I was in Best Buy a few days ago and they started with only 4 of the devices. Same thing that happened when it had it's beginnings with Sprint. And this is in the South Florida (palm beach, ft. Lauderdale, miami) area Best Buys. I was a bit surprised even with it having some hardware mods...
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    if I had to guess the advertising push may come when 1.4 /w flash rolls out... Another string of iDon't ads..
    Verizon rarely markets a phone heavily when they are not either a launch carrier or it is exclusive. Yes the "plus" devices are higher spec than what is on sprint, but not a big difference to the average customer. I can't think of any device in the recent past where Verizon had an ad blitz for a phone that another carrier already had.
    Something is fishy here, no web ads Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless on their own front page. feature phone get more respect on their front page then Pre Plus smdh,
    A ridiculous premise.
    It is a ridiculous premise. The Palm Pre Plus is just another phone to Verizon and it's just about dollars and cents. They evidently don't see it as any major money maker. I went into 3 stores and in 2 of them I heard questions about when the iPhone was coming to Verizon. Android just jumped in market share and the Droid ads were continuous for a long time. Verizon is stealing Sprint's thunder but customers are interested in the iPhone, unfortunately. In fact, when Verizon didn't announce the iPhone, Palm's stock jumped.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Full page ads in the LA Times and radio spots here in LA. But interestingly, a few AFTER I got my Verizon Pre, I got an email ad from Verizon saying my New Every 2 discount was due on the Treo, and listed the new smartphones to choose from. The Pre was not among them.
    The theory that this is a soft launch is far more plausible than this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Full page ads in the LA Times and radio spots here in LA. But interestingly, a few AFTER I got my Verizon Pre, I got an email ad from Verizon saying my New Every 2 discount was due on the Treo, and listed the new smartphones to choose from. The Pre was not among them.
    There was a full page ad in the NY TImes too (back page) but many of the stores didn't even have demo models in, only the main stores. The store near my apartment said they weren't sure when they'd have them in, probably a week after the launch. Very sad. I really think that the Pre is unfortunately very low priority. For the store I was in for about 45 minutes or so, nobody came in to try the Pre from what I could see. Very unusual.

And with the hyped "buy a Pre get a pixie free" it's ONLY for family plans, which they neglect to make clear. Our family uses Verizon but we'd have to share a bill with someone receiving it in order to get the freebie. We opted out for now, finding out the real facts.
    I think someone on here said that this was just a soft launch of the pre plus and then once 1.4 drops in then they will have a heavier release with commercials.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Either Verizon is waiting for 1.4 or they are playing good with Apple to get the iPhone.
    I don't think Verizon is trying to kill Palm. I heard Verizon's usual radio ad for a new device today for Palm. And when you think back, Palm didn't advertise too much at first on Sprint. I think the Droid add veryas helped along by Google annd Motorola, that needed the device to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    It is a ridiculous premise. The Palm Pre Plus is just another phone to Verizon and it's just about dollars and cents. They evidently don't see it as any major money maker. I went into 3 stores and in 2 of them
    That's probably the exact truth right there. The device already had it's major launch and already has been through the hype-machine. Why spend all the money "relaunching" a device which consumers have already shown lukewarm feelings for? Plus Verizon has made it fairly clear that it's deeply interested in Android.

I personally do not like the device but deep down inside I do root for webOS and Palm to do well. I think webOS needs to be successful for the benefit for all devices and platforms. I just don't understand why anyone even dreamed that Verizon was going to pull out all the stops for the Pre. Sadly the Pre will just be another devices on Verizon's "oh we have that too + our network" list.

I also highly doubt there will be much fan fare when it launches on AT&T either.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyidaho View Post
    That's probably the exact truth right there. The device already had it's major launch and already has been through the hype-machine. Why spend all the money "relaunching" a device which consumers have already shown lukewarm feelings for? Plus Verizon has made it fairly clear that it's deeply interested in Android.

I personally do not like the device but deep down inside I do root for webOS and Palm to do well. I think webOS needs to be successful for the benefit for all devices and platforms. I just don't understand why anyone even dreamed that Verizon was going to pull out all the stops for the Pre. Sadly the Pre will just be another devices on Verizon's "oh we have that too + our network" list.

I also highly doubt there will be much fan fare when it launches on AT&T either.
    I agree in part. No V isn't trying to kill Palm and yes the Pixi and Pre are just more weapons in V's arsenal.

However, I do think that ATT will prolly advertise the two phones along with their coming Android devices more than V has done b/c ATT was a one smartphone show until their recent CES announcement.

But as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Palm really didn't come out of the gate with a major advertising blitz when the Pre and Pixi launched on Sprint.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyidaho View Post
    . Why spend all the money "relaunching" a device which consumers have already shown lukewarm feelings for?.
    it sold nearly 1m on sprint network in 6 mo, I can hardly call it a failure. Iphone has big number numbers, sure, that doesn't mean pre's number is bad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast