Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    The launcher on WebOS is fine, works well, it's smooth, but for the evolution and future of WebOS it needs a few enhancements.

I believe Palm should rid of the cards on the MAIN menu. I think they should leave the home screen for widgets and more important apps (yes, a complete copy off of android but I think it's one of the most appealing things on that OS). Then, place the card view in the top bar for viewing anytime (even without minimizing an app). This would not only look better, but maybe it would appeal more to consumers and open even more doors for WebOS.

Also, the hold and slide up gesture that brings up your 5 most important apps should be totally scrapped. I find it hardly useful and completely a waste of a gesture that could be used in many other ways. A few ideas is make it the menu (or preferences) that brings up a list of options in that certain app. Or maybe when you are on the web, it can bring up the history or maybe your other open web pages, the possibilities are endless.

Now I'm a big fan of WebOs and i think it's potential is incredible. I just think Palm has yet to utilize everything it can do, and I also think, for the moment, that it's home screen is too locked and following somewhat what the iPhone has done with it's. These things are just my two cents. Thank you for listening.
    I agree with you to an extent. I wouldnt be opposed to an actual home screen.
    I'm actually more than happy the way it is. If I wanted an android-like interface, I'd go with an Android phone. With the way notifications work on the Pre, I don't feel like I need widgets. And I really like the wave bar.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I'm actually more than happy the way it is. If I wanted an android-like interface, I'd go with an Android phone. With the way notifications work on the Pre, I don't feel like I need widgets. And I really like the wave bar.
    I'm happy with the interface as well, but I feel the need for some more eye candy and usability. Widgets are useful because they are used without actually opening the app and are always there and you can see them. I'm just a very big fan of actual homescreens but I'm even more of a fan of WebOS and it's cards view and feel.
    I'm happy with the home screen as is. Although I can understand how others may want to make changes. Maybe the next version of the pre will have new features. How long til that version? June/July perhaps?
    here's my view on evolution of webOS...
    the dock on bottom should be where all open cards should be placed...like on pc or mac (think taskbar)...5 apps would be in card view at a glance..and if more than 5..dock will be scrollable left/right by flicking in dock area left/right...quickwave bar would have fave 5 apps (maybe 7??)...launcher will be opened w/ swipe up gesture.
    this will lead to an open & clean home screen where widgets could be added.
    i would like widgets but i'm content with just swiping away through different apps IF the "too many cards open" notification wouldn't pop up all the time.
    I have the patch where the launch icons are not there---I just love the look of an uncluttered home page. I use the "wave" feature all the time to bring up my quick launch icons.

The cards are what webOS is about. They are essentially widgets when kept open. I don't really like the Android interface at all...it's menus within menus which is something I don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by short_round View Post
    I have the patch where the launch icons are not there---I just love the look of an uncluttered home page. I use the "wave" feature all the time to bring up my quick launch icons.

The cards are what webOS is about. They are essentially widgets when kept open. I don't really like the Android interface at all...it's menus within menus which is something I don't like.
    With you 100% m8!!!!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by short_round View Post

I hear you, but with my idea, we would not have to give up the cards. They would just be placed in a different spot. I think the cards are a great and easy to use system and I don't want to see them go away. I just think that it leaves WebOS kind of blocked from evolving in some areas.
    I don't think I'd really want widgets. I don't like a whole lot of information smacking me in the face every time I look at a screen. My desktop on my PC has no icons or sidebar. If I need information, I'll bring it up myself. Also, I don't really need widgets on the homescreen constantly refreshing and the associated hit to battery life.

What's being described with regards to hiding the card view is essentially a task manager. Let's put all of this together: widgets and a task manager. Sounds like Android. Maybe it's time for the OP to switch.

I, for one, find the wave bar incredibly useful. I use it all the time to open the launcher while I'm in an app.
    I would really like to see a minimize option for our cards, i mean have a small button on the screen or hidden launcher that allows us to maximize or minimize our cards....ala still left open and running, but not cluttering up my interface
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
    I don't think I'd really want widgets. I don't like a whole lot of information smacking me in the face every time I look at a screen. My desktop on my PC has no icons or sidebar. If I need information, I'll bring it up myself. Also, I don't really need widgets on the homescreen constantly refreshing and the associated hit to battery life.

What's being described with regards to hiding the card view is essentially a task manager. Let's put all of this together: widgets and a task manager. Sounds like Android. Maybe it's time for the OP to switch.

I, for one, find the wave bar incredibly useful. I use it all the time to open the launcher while I'm in an app.
    I often have wondered about switching to Android but I love WebOS way too much to give it up. It's multitasking is incredible. I could never use another type of phone again without feeling like I'm left out
    I am a huge fan of homescreens. I had actually forgotten how much until I picked up a Hero to try out Android. I am not completely sold on widgets but a homescreen at this point is getting to be a must have for me. Having to open an app to get weather and other simple things is ridiculous at this point.
    I don't see WebOS ever getting widgets unless some amazing homebrew dev figures it out and here's why. With the way the notification system is apps can tap into that giving us updated information. I believe that's the way it was intended, as an alternative to widgets. Why give us widgets and an alternative to widgets and not do it from the beginning? If they add widgets now everyone will say they're copying Android and they'll be right just like if someone copies the WebOS card/notification system. It's part of what differentiates the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by sschor83 View Post
    launcher will be opened w/ swipe up gesture.
    this will lead to an open & clean home screen where widgets could be added.
    Swipe up already opens launcher if you have enabled "advanced gestures" in Screen & Lock....
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

as I posted before...it will keep the card system..but juss puts it down lower just above notification bar (where launcher dock is located) instead of in middle when in card view and zoomed out view.
    I personally hide the launch dock for the cleaner view and to hide some apps I don't want to see.
    I understand there are a few apps that run in bg and use notif. bar to provide info...the only problem I see w/ that is if you have lots of apps running like that...it pushes the screen up...so y not have widgets to just have the info in ur face..and not take any area from notif. bar.
    so w/ the cards down near bottom instead of middle screen...you will have open area in top and middle screen for widgets of whatever anyone likes to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Swipe up already opens launcher if you have enabled "advanced gestures" in Screen & Lock....
    I'm aware of that feature...I use it all the time..what I don't use is the launch dock on bottom of screen...I personally hide it...they should separate the quicklaunch bar and wave launcher and make them unlinked. The wave launcher should have it's own app to pick and choose fave apps to be placed there.

the advanced gesture is used for switching between apps left/right while you're using an app and beats the hassle of going into card view and switching that way.
    "The cards are what webOS is about. They are essentially widgets when kept open. I don't really like the Android interface at all...it's menus within menus which is something I don't like."

short round you Get It!

I liked the widgets on Android, but I like the cards better. I keep the agenda app open all the time.
    I love the way the UI is now with the empty home screen. Makes WebOS the best looking of the OS-bunch in my opinion. It just makes the phones more estatically pleasing.
    Every time I switch on an iPhone I find it looks extremely cluttered. On the Pre you close everything and you have a nice clean slate to start from.
    If there's anything I need to know, I got notifications. Then again, I'm not the kind of person who needs a weather widget, I usually just look out the window.

I must say I do like the idea of different options for use of the wave gesture in different apps. This has a lot of potential!