1. rjg
    All,

I have been attempting to get ssh over EVDO on VZW to work. However, it appears that Verizon may be blocking inbound connections.

I believe I have everything setup properly including modifying the script to allow ssh over the EVDO connection via iptables.

This works over wifi, but if I try via EVDO it never connects and I do not see the counters increment for the rule that allows ssh via an "iptables -L -v"

Is this just something that Verizon doesn't intend to allow?

-Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    All,

I have been attempting to get ssh over EVDO on VZW to work. However, it appears that Verizon may be blocking inbound connections.

I believe I have everything setup properly including modifying the script to allow ssh over the EVDO connection via iptables.

This works over wifi, but if I try via EVDO it never connects and I do not see the counters increment for the rule that allows ssh via an "iptables -L -v"

Is this just something that Verizon doesn't intend to allow?

-Robert
    I'm wondering if they did like Sprint did with the Pixi, and gave the interface a different name. Try issuing an ifconfig command, and see what the name of the interface is.
  3. rjg
    Hello,

The wifi interface is eth0 and the EVDO is ppp0. The iptables rule that I modified no longer specifies an interface though, so it should allow inbound connections on any interface.. :-/

-Robert
    I sure that they are blocking incoming connections on port 22.
  5. rjg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I sure that they are blocking incoming connections on port 22.
    I am trying port 2222, maybe I should try a higher numbered port. This isn't a biggy, I was just wondering if I was going crazy.. lol

-robert
    Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    I am trying port 2222, maybe I should try a higher numbered port. This isn't a biggy, I was just wondering if I was going crazy.. lol

-robert
    I'd say try a lower numbered port. Things get weird over port 1024. I'd go with 222 or 22.

Also, ppp0 is the interface name that worked on my Sprint Pre.
  7. rjg
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'd say try a lower numbered port. Things get weird over port 1024. I'd go with 222 or 22.

Also, ppp0 is the interface name that worked on my Sprint Pre.
    I have already tried regular 22 and it was a no go..

-Robert
    I am also able to ssh in through Wifi, but not over EVDO. When I do it over Wifi, it's port 222 that works. I tried the same port over EVDO, but no luck. I don't know if the ssh server is not listening on the ppp0 interface or if Verizon is blocking it.
    I opened a ticket with Verizon. The support person told me that Verizon does not support connections to the ppp0 interface from the Internet. I have a Palm Pre but I am assuming this applies to the Pixi and maybe all their devices.

Does anyone know if other carriers do?

Greg
    Same here, works over wifi not over EVDO. I don't think it's iptables, you can allow everything and it still doesn't work. Are there any commercial apps that use incoming connections? If so, then there may still be hope.