Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    From I see and hear, Pre Plus solved most if not all shortcomings of Pre. It made me wonder if Palm has intentionally or unintentionally Pre Plus the flag ship product. I remember a post asking if we Sprint users felt like beta testers. I for one have been very happy with Pre. But the reality is that Sprint users helped Palm flushed out a lot of issues, build quality, uselessness of the center button, speed, etc.

So the question now, why don't Palm make Pre Plus a much bigger deal than it is now? Sure, Verizon may have other reasons not to push Pre Plus hard, but Palm do not have reasons to be quiet. After CES, we really haven't seen much from Palm.

Now reading about people switching to Pre Plus from Droid, it looks like Palm has a good chance of grabbing some market share.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    No. The pre plus isn't a big deal cause it's a minor spec bump.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    yea but Palm should market the fact that there phones are now on a new carrier. Verizon has no big incentive to push the Palm phones, them carrying it at all is a blessing for Palm, Verizon was contemplating not selling them at all at one point. So Palm needs to advertise hard. Palm needs Verizon not the other way around, so it's on Palm to get the word out..
    I feel that Palm might be saving their advertising $ for a new product coming down the pipe this summmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    No. The pre plus isn't a big deal cause it's a minor spec bump.
    That's true, however Palm should still make a big deal about it. The more people using WebOS, the better.
    They shoulda had 1.4.x pre-installed on the Pluses so they could really make that all-important WOWZY first impression.
    Too late now.

(i know 'wowzy' isn't a word)
    I heard 3 radio ads in less then an hour driving yesterday on 2 different radio stations. So Verizion isn't rolling it out as hard as the Droid, but they're giving it more then they do for blackberry.

I liked how the commercial explained multitasking w/o using the actual word.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I kinda wonder if all the Droid advertisement was sufficient. I have to think that the great Droid and "Map for that" commercials has definitely gotten people coming into the Verizon stores. Now the Pre and Pixi Plus are available in the same stores. Now, when people come into the store looking for an ATT iPhone alternative they will see the Pre and Pixi Plus. I visited a Verizon Store on Monday and the Palm phones were the ones closest to the door when you walked in.

Clearly, Andriod is a potential long-term threat to WebOS, but the Droid timing might actually help Palm's short-term prospects in a weird sort of way. I guess time will tell.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I feel that Palm might be saving their advertising $ for a new product coming down the pipe this summmer.
    You have a good point. I was curious because since Pre Plus was announced, I see a lot more positive posts about Pre than before. Maybe partially because Apple did not show anything about iPhone.

In a way that Sprint users helped Palm to get to this point (I am glad to be part of it), so Palm can attack a bigger market on Verizon.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    The only problem with an "honest, we improved" advertising push is that it comes across admitting failure the first time. Kind of like the current Dominos Pizza commercials: "We used to s u c k, but now we don't and we want to convince you we have been experts all along. The Palm slogan will be: "Now it does what we sold you it would do."

EDIT: I just thought of another one (similar to the Sprint commercials) they could say "Lots of People are loving the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon", followed by shots of people playing games, texting, using the Moble HotSpot App (while listening to Pandora), etc. We've been hoping Sprint would do this sort of thing but I think they weren't sure of Palm's ability to meet demand if they advertised too heavily. I think that problem still exists on with Palm on Verizon.
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/31/2010 at 12:26 AM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Given that the lack of availability of a product makes it more desirable in this day and age, wouldn't it make sense to advertise more in a perverse sort of way. Get people clamouring for it because it is in a sense a rare commodity.
    Quote Originally Posted by mykal900 View Post
    Given that the lack of availability of a product makes it more desirable in this day and age, ... Get people [clamoring] for it because it is in a sense a rare commodity.
    Yes, if it's a good product.
    If people perceive that the build quality of the Pre Plus has significantly increased, demand for this and follow-on Palm products will significantly go up.

Quote Originally Posted by mykal900 View Post
    Given that the lack of availability of a product makes it more desirable in this day and age, wouldn't it make sense to advertise more in a perverse sort of way. ...
    I think I have to disagree here. Advertising creates demand (or builds a brand, or both). My guess Verizon is interested in both their brand and keeping/attracting customers and that the Pre will help with this but that Verizon really just wants to get customers into new plans with higher ARPU (average revenue per user) in a phone they won't "exchange" during the first month.

My guess is provided Verizon sees happy Palm customers in the first month, they might very well advertise these phones once Flash is out of beta (especially since demand for the Droid will have dropped by then). My guess is this won't be a "planned campaign" but an "opportunistic" one. I really don't know enough about advertising to know how far in advance they need to plan such things. If those decisions are made well in advance, Verizon probably does not have plans to heavily push the Palm phones. Palm, on the other hand would do very well with some advertising spend once flash is out as this will drive demand on both major (and future) US carriers.

Back to the build quality issue: If the Pre Plus has improved initial build quality over the Pre, both Verizon and the end customer will be happy. AT&T would be interested in offering GMS Pre/Pixi Plus and Verizon/Sprint would be willing to make bigger commitments on whatever WebOS phones are developed in the near future.

I do have to say (at least at the current time) that I think the Pixi Plus is going to be the real winner here. It has a great set of features and appears to have great build quality (at least gauged by the absence of complaints here on PreCentral). If the Pixi is successful, this will be the low-end Palm phone that drives sales (like the Centro did on PalmOS). The Pre Plus will likely be the mid-range phone on all carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Yes, if it's a good product.
    If people perceive that the build quality of the Pre Plus has significantly increased, demand for this and follow-on Palm products will significantly go up.

I think I have to disagree here. Advertising creates demand (or builds a brand, or both). My guess Verizon is interested in both their brand and keeping/attracting customers and that the Pre will help with this but that Verizon really just wants to get customers into new plans with higher ARPU (average revenue per user) in a phone they won't "exchange" during the first month.

My guess is provided Verizon sees happy Palm customers in the first month, they might very well advertise these phones once Flash is out of beta (especially since demand for the Droid will have dropped by then). My guess is this won't be a "planned campaign" but an "opportunistic" one. I really don't know enough about advertising to know how far in advance they need to plan such things. If those decisions are made well in advance, Verizon probably does not have plans to heavily push the Palm phones. Palm, on the other hand would do very well with some advertising spend once flash is out as this will drive demand on both major (and future) US carriers.

Back to the build quality issue: If the Pre Plus has improved initial build quality over the Pre, both Verizon and the end customer will be happy. AT&T would be interested in offering GMS Pre/Pixi Plus and Verizon/Sprint would be willing to make bigger commitments on whatever WebOS phones are developed in the near future.

I do have to say (at least at the current time) that I think the Pixi Plus is going to be the real winner here. It has a great set of features and appears to have great build quality (at least gauged by the absence of complaints here on PreCentral). If the Pixi is successful, this will be the low-end Palm phone that drives sales (like the Centro did on PalmOS). The Pre Plus will likely be the mid-range phone on all carriers.
    I don't think Palm or Verizon is waiting until Flash is available to advertise. Being on this forum gives a skewed view as to what NORMAL people care and know about. Sure we know about Flash and some on here care about it, but the average consumer doesn't and prolly could care less (see Iphone and Ipad for how much people actually care about Flash). It's not a killer feature that determines if someone will but a phone. No one is going to build a advertising campaign around one single feature that the majority of the potential buyers prolly know nothing about and wouldn't use as much as say normal phone features.

The Verizon advertising Twitter page confirmed last week that you will see Palm commercials on tv soon. The link to the twitter page showed up in a thread yesterday.

As far as build quality and Verizon waiting until they can determine if they have a larger number of people returning the phone before advertising, once again its the same thing as the Flash premise. Most of the potential buyers do not read Precentral. The majority of Pre phones are prolly of good build quality. There hasn't been a major campaign such as what happened with the Xbox 360 where everyone was aware of the problems. Once again, the advertising will be done regardless. If waiting for Flash or waiting to see if the return rate is high was a factor in advertising, you would not have seen the different radio and newspaper ad buys.

This forum is the majority. It is a small minority and as such issues that people see and read and care about here are really small when compared to the normal buyer of this phone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I don't think Palm or Verizon is waiting until Flash is available to advertise. Being on this forum gives a skewed view as to what NORMAL people care and know about.
    I bet you're right and it shows my ignorance of how traditional advertising works. I mentioned Flash simply because it would add more capabilities and fun to the device, but in this attention deprived generation of sound bytes, you're probably right that it would not make one bit of difference for advertisers.

The Verizon advertising Twitter page confirmed last week that you will see Palm commercials on tv soon. The link to the twitter page showed up in a thread yesterday.
    I'll have to search for that. Thanks.

As far as build quality and Verizon waiting until they can determine if they have a larger number of people returning the phone before advertising, once again its the same thing as the Flash premise. Most of the potential buyers do not read Precentral. The majority of Pre phones are prolly of good build quality.
    I believe build quality does matter. I've noticed lots of Sprint employees steering customers away from Pres to more expensive Android phones by mentioning that users are having "more problems" on the Pre. Mostly that's likely to be an upsell, but the stores and many customers have noticed this and it does affect Palms brand image in the long run. I guess the real questions as far as the carriers are concerned are return rates and support costs relative to similar phones.

There hasn't been a major campaign such as what happened with the Xbox 360 where everyone was aware of the problems.
    And even in spite of everyone's knowledge of the XBox problems, it has still been successful.

This forum is [not] the majority. It is a small minority and as such issues that people see and read and care about here are really small when compared to the normal buyer of this phone.
    Thanks for adding balance to our perspective.
    Been to two Verizon stores and the Palm products were first ones in the door. Went to a Best Buy and the clerk didn't even know Verizon had the Pre Plus and tried to show me the Sprint Pre.