Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Hello thanks for helping, I wanted to forward my google voice voicemail to another email client and wanted to know how to do this?

In detail, what I want is when someone calls my google voice # and it rings to my pre, I would like for it to forward the call to my other voicemail client and not have it picked up by my google voice voicemail client (if i reject it or dont answer) how does one do this? Thanks in advance.
    swipe the thread to the right, like deleting an e-mail message. I haven't seen any problem after deleting a thread
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    huh?
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    Hello thanks for helping, I wanted to forward my google voice voicemail to another email client and wanted to know how to do this?

In detail, what I want is when someone calls my google voice # and it rings to my pre, I would like for it to forward the call to my other voicemail client and not have it picked up by my google voice voicemail client (if i reject it or dont answer) how does one do this? Thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your question exactly - I think you're indicating that you want your cell phone carrier voicemail to answer unanswered calls to your cell phone (including those forwarded by your Google Voice number) rather than your Google Voice voicemail? Is that right? If this is your question, that should happen by default - no need to change anything. If, however, you've already set up conditional call forwarding such that your Google Voice voicemail is now your default voicemail client, you'll need to deactivate that the same way you set it up. Does that answer your question? I'm a little confused because you're talking about forwarding voicemail to e-mail, but then ask about routing voicemail to voicemail....If I haven't understood the question correctly, perhaps try stating the specifics such as "I'm trying to have my Sprint voicemail accept my incoming messages on the Pre rather than my Google Voicemail" or whatever the specific carriers and situation are for you. I hope this helps or at least helps you get the answer you are seeking...
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    OK touche' This is exactly what I wuold like to happen: I would like my default voicemail to be my youview/youmail voicemail. So when someone calls my pre (my sprint # and my Google voice # both) it would go to my youmail/youview voicemail.

right now I have 2 #'s one is my normal sprint and the other is my google voice dummy # but they both ring into my pre. I hope this cleared up everything sorry for the confusion. not email but voicemail.
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    OK touche' This is exactly what I wuold like to happen: I would like my default voicemail to be my youview/youmail voicemail. So when someone calls my pre (my sprint # and my Google voice # both) it would go to my youmail/youview voicemail.

right now I have 2 #'s one is my normal sprint and the other is my google voice dummy # but they both ring into my pre. I hope this cleared up everything sorry for the confusion. not email but voicemail.
    So the question is how to make YouMail your default voicemail rather than Sprint. YouMail's website indicates the following:

It’s easy to switch your voicemail to YouMail:

1. Go to Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail to create a YouMail account
    2. Simply dial *289095106169 and press ‘talk/send’.
    3. Upon successful activation you will hear two alert tones. If you’re unsuccessful activating call forwarding, contact Sprint Technical Support at 888-211-4727 for assistance.

That should do it for you?
    chichi, I am confused how no one understands what you are asking all over these forums. I get it, I just don't think it is possible yet. Basically, you want your google voice voicemail to be forwarded to youmail. I really don't think google voice voicemail can be forwarded yet but I could be wrong. If it's any consolation, at least I get what you are asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    chichi, I am confused how no one understands what you are asking all over these forums. I get it, I just don't think it is possible yet. Basically, you want your google voice voicemail to be forwarded to youmail. I really don't think google voice voicemail can be forwarded yet but I could be wrong. If it's any consolation, at least I get what you are asking.
    YouMail has a dropbox feature where you can send your Google Voice emails to and it will appear as if it was left with YouMail.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Let me take a stab at this. You have 2 numbers: your "native" cell phone number and a GV one (that's set to forward to your cell phone). Right?

You want your cell phone to go to YouMail's voicemail instead of GV.

Obviously, if GV wasn't in the picture, you'd just set your cell phone's "forward on no answer" to go to YouMail.

However, what's unique is that you want the GV number to ALSO go to YouMail.

Now, this is a bit confusing because... well... why even use at all if you don't plan on using it for vmail?

But, since you've given out your GV number, let's see how we can do what you want...

The answer is to set GV to "ring" your YouMail number (not being a YouMail user, I'm just assuming that, like GV, you get a phone number that you use to forward unanswered calls to). There is a GV setting to ring other phones BEFORE (instead of, in this case) going to GV voicemail.

Does this do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    YouMail has a dropbox feature where you can send your Google Voice emails to and it will appear as if it was left with YouMail.
    Yeah, I knew it had that feature but they specifically asked about forwarding the call to a different voicemail client. Basically, not have google voice know a voicemail was being left. That's why I didn't really mention it. Oh well, hopefully that will suffice.
  11. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I respectfully suggest that this is not what chichi is seeking. I think he wants both his Sprint and Google Voice numbers to ring his Pre, but THEN to conditionally forward to his YouMail if he doesn't answer the calls on his Pre. That's how I'm reading it anyway. If I understand the question correctly, what I copied and pasted from the YouMail site should certainly do the trick. It's essentially the same thing I have set up with my GoogleVoice account, but, for some reason, chichi wants a GoogleVoice number, yet wants his voicemails received by YouMail instead.

Of course, if he doesn't want his cell phone to ring when people call his GoogleVoice number, I believe you're correct, but that doesn't sound like what is being asked for because the question contained the statement "right now I have 2 #'s one is my normal sprint and the other is my google voice dummy # but they both ring into my pre" thereby indicating chichi wants the Pre to ring first....
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Ok I appreciate ALL the help! here is EXACTLY what I want to do.

I have a sprint palm pre w/ my sprint phone number which ALL my friends and family have. They call it I dont answer I would like it to then route to my youmail voicemail (this is already working fine) and I know how to set this up Thanks again to Arcticus!

Now on the same palm pre I have a Google Voice phone number which I use for my personal bussines (which as u can see it is very important to have a seperate # for) so when a client calls me my pre rings fine and works as it should. The problem i am having is if I dont answer it goes to my googlevoice voicemail. What I NEED it to do is rather go to my youmail voicemail just like my regular sprint issued # does so I can manage and utilize all my voicemails in one convenient spot/location which would be youmail in this case.

squeff's solution sounds like it would work BUT I dont know if there is a # the voicemail dials into that is associated with my #? Arcticus? And also this would mean that google voice would have to have the ability to ring two different #'s one being my sprint # and the other being the number to my youmail voicemail (which i read is possible) so all I would need to know to make this work is the # that would dial into my youmail voicemail i guess? Hope this time im clear.
    Last edited by chichi; 01/29/2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    squeff's solution sounds like it would work BUT I dont know if there is a # the voicemail dials into that is associated with my #? Arcticus? And also this would mean that google voice can ring two different #'s (which i read that it is possible) so all i would need to know is the # that would dial into my youmail voicemail i guess.
    In GoogleVoice (full web version, not the web-app that you get the phone), click "Settings." Go to the "Phones" tab. Your cell phone should be listed. Click the "Edit" button.

Now, here's where most people miss it: there's a "Show Advanced Settings" link. Click that. At the bottom of the page, you'll see "Forwarding Options." You want "Ring my other phones before going to voicemail."

You'll want to add your YouMail number as a phone, but not make it a default (or else it'll pick up immediately).

If YouMail doesn't have a number, then how do you forward to it?

EDIT: After looking at YouMail, I'm guessing that they have one number that everyone forwards to (or maybe a bank). They then use caller ID to figure out which phone it's coming from. Maybe. If this is right, then my suggestion won't work. Sorry.
    Last edited by squeff; 01/29/2010 at 02:25 PM.

Good luck with that. Google's voice mail is totally unconfigurable. AFAICT, Sprint's isn't much better. Whichever one answers is friggin' luck of the draw. I *WISH* I could just disable my google voice voicemail. All I want the service for is my vanity number and the ability to forward to all of my phones.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    @squeff your right there is one number to the voicemail system that i could find "7142043114" and then once you call it you then have to enter your phone number/password to go to your personal voicemail, so I think thats the gotcha in your plan I even tried adding that # to my googlevoice account as an additional # to forward to but of course I couldnt and there are already 2 google voice users with the same number and no more users can claim that same number! Still even then I dont know how they would get it to enter their number and password...

@Knobbysideup yeah I am definitely understanding your pain, if only there was a way to turn off google voicemail option altogether then all would be great with the world since I could then let my regular voicemail handle all my calls which in this case is youmail! youview/youmail is already proven to be a superior choice and all i would need.
  16. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Ok I appreciate ALL the help! here is EXACTLY what I want to do.

I have a sprint palm pre w/ my sprint phone number which ALL my friends and family have. They call it I dont answer I would like it to then route to my youmail voicemail (this is already working fine) and I know how to set this up Thanks again to Arcticus!

Now on the same palm pre I have a Google Voice phone number which I use for my personal bussines (which as u can see it is very important to have a seperate # for) so when a client calls me my pre rings fine and works as it should. The problem i am having is if I dont answer it goes to my googlevoice voicemail. What I NEED it to do is rather go to my youmail voicemail just like my regular sprint issued # does so I can manage and utilize all my voicemails in one convenient spot/location which would be youmail in this case.

squeff's solution sounds like it would work BUT I dont know if there is a # the voicemail dials into that is associated with my #? Arcticus? And also this would mean that google voice would have to have the ability to ring two different #'s one being my sprint # and the other being the number to my youmail voicemail (which i read is possible) so all I would need to know to make this work is the # that would dial into my youmail voicemail i guess? Hope this time im clear.
    Here's another shot - if calls to your Sprint phone are properly being answered by YouMail, and it's only the GoogleVoice calls that aren't being answered by YouMail, I wonder if it isn't because there is a delay before your Pre starts ringing when forwarding from the GoogleVoice number, and, as such, by the time the GoogleVoice number "times out" and is ready to forward a call to voicemail, Sprint still hasn't received enough rings to have "known" to forward your call to YouMail. It works for Sprint calls because it "senses" those rings immediately, whereas it might miss the first ring or two on GoogleVoice calls. Does this make sense? I have something similar happen to me in my office when I set my extension to forward to my cell phone. If this theory is correct, a solution would be to ask Sprint to REDUCE the number of seconds a call rings before it is forwarded to voicemail. This would force the Pre to send the GoogleVoice call to YouMail before GoogleVoice voicemail picks up the call. The downside, of course, is that you won't get as many rings to pick up your Sprint calls before they also get forwarded to voicemail, but losing one ring may be a trade-off you're willing to sacrifice to get what you are seeking? In short, try having Sprint lower the number of seconds before voicemail picks up (they can do it, and it's free), and that might solve your problem. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't, just have them set it back to default again.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    @squeff your right there is one number to the voicemail system that i could find "7142043114" and then once you call it you then have to enter your phone number/password to go to your personal voicemail, so I think thats the gotcha in your plan I even tried adding that # to my googlevoice account as an additional # to forward to but of course I couldnt and there are already 2 google voice users with the same number and no more users can claim that same number! Still even then I dont know how they would get it to enter their number and password...

@Knobbysideup yeah I am definitely understanding your pain, if only there was a way to turn off google voicemail option altogether then all would be great with the world since I could then let my regular voicemail handle all my calls which in this case is youmail! youview/youmail is already proven to be a superior choice and all i would need.
    Yeah, the number (714)204-3114 is a universal number for everyone using YouMail.

Apparently, YouMail is able to detect that a call received at this number is coming from a forwarded cell phone, is able to get that cell phone's number (caller ID?), and switches from being "retrieve voice mail mode" (which is where it prompts for a number and PIN) to "receive a voice mail message mode."

If you're really not using Google Voice for anything, and the only issue is that you've given people your GV phone number, there may be other options. Some things to try:

(1) See if you can get the GV number ported elsewhere. And then have that "elsewhere" forward to your cell phone. Not sure what free/cheap options would be, however.

(2) See if your carrier (Sprint?) will allow you let you port your GV number to them. They might, for cheap, let you have two incoming numbers that point to your cell. Maybe.

(3) Setup a GV outgoing message that says "I'm no longer using this number. I can now be reached at <cell phone>. This mail box is not being monitored, so if this message is important, please call me at <cell phone>."

(4) Get a cheap pre-paid cell phone that YouMail supports. Forward GV to that phone, which you'll set to always forward calls to YouMail.

(5) Just deal with the fact that GV is going to pick up your calls and then, as others have suggested, forward the resulting e-mail to YouMail. I think, after having researched, this is going to be your easiest and cheapest option.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Yea I am already starting to come to grips with option #5 as being really the only option! LOL. and as far as shortening the ring duration I dont think that would work because google voice voicemail is picking up the call.
  19. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Yea I am already starting to come to grips with option #5 as being really the only option! LOL. and as far as shortening the ring duration I dont think that would work because google voice voicemail is picking up the call.
    I think GoogleVoice voicemail is picking up the call because Sprint hasn't yet sent the call to YouMail voicemail when GoogleVoice is ready to send the call to voicemail. If you shorten the number of rings before YouMail gets the call from Sprint, that might just solve the problem because the call could be answered by YouMail before GoogleVoice voicemail picks up the call. Either way, if not, Option #5 might certainly suffice too. I just think my suggestion might be a worth a shot, but good luck either way!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome since others are having this issue as well.