Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a Palm user for many years - althoug h its very frustrating Australia has been left behind - will we be getting the new Palm Pre Plus anytime during my lifetime???

I cannot understand why Palm U.S is limiting release to certain countries - Don't hey want to make money and survive?

Blackberry is leaving them way behind
    Hi Casper

I bought a Pre via eBay and got a new connection with Virgin Mobile. 2G settings worked ok, but it's been a bit of a battle to get 3G connectivity. But I've finally got there and now loving my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by casper0069 View Post
    I have been a Palm user for many years - althoug h its very frustrating Australia has been left behind - will we be getting the new Palm Pre Plus anytime during my lifetime???

I cannot understand why Palm U.S is limiting release to certain countries - Don't hey want to make money and survive?

Blackberry is leaving them way behind
    They don't want to limit things, but it takes time to work out a deal with a carrier. If palm started selling unlocked phones, things might be faster.

Palm has a lot on their plate right, with updates, probably new hardware and marketing. Remember than compared, to Apple, RIM and Google, Palm is a very small company.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    been told by telstra shop end of this year, by then it will be outdated & i wouldnt count on it coming
    I got so damn ****ed off that Palm had advertised the pre on the Palm AU website, and not acted upon it, I decided I would ring them up.

Unsurprisingly I got through to the Singapore head office (not the Australian one), and spoke about the situation at length.

He said that Palm was not selling to stores, as in North America, they were tying themselves to carriers like Sprint, O2 and Verizon. Australia's situation was that when Palm offered it around to the Australian carriers, no one expressed enough interest for it to be profitable endeavor for Palm.

The man I spoke to on the phone was even fearing his own job because just like Australia, no carrier in singapore was accepting Palm's offer. In singapore, they weren't releasing any new palm products, so the palm market over there was completely stale. At that time, all they were doing was taking support calls for people with older Palm PDA's and phones. If Singapore wasn't given the Palm Pre soon, he'd be fired along with everyone else at their palm office!

I know this news doesn't look good, but it seems that if you are desperate to get the Pre (like me) you'll just have to get it GSM from ebay or unlocked from the UK.
    The only problem with this is that there will be problems with the paid apps.

Despite all that, as soon as the next Palm Pre hits GSM Unlocked, I'll be getting it right away. If anyone can assist me in how to get it to work on an Australian plan, I'd be incredibly grateful.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post

If anyone can assist me in how to get it to work on an Australian plan, I'd be incredibly grateful.
    Thanks.
    There is no drama getting an unlocked European Pre working with 3G on most of the Australian networks. Just not Telstra (but they do 3G roaming on 3, apparently).
    Last edited by johncc; 04/20/2010 at 12:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by casper0069 View Post
    I have been a Palm user for many years - althoug h its very frustrating Australia has been left behind - will we be getting the new Palm Pre Plus anytime during my lifetime??? I cannot understand why Palm U.S is limiting release to certain countries - Don't hey want to make money and survive?
    Been using an unlocked spanish Pre (ebay) in Aus for a while now, on Vodafone, with the last update, everything works fine. Including 3G / MMS etc. The only region specific problem is the fact that i can't buy apps, but frankly I don't really care. First and foremost, it's a PHONE, and it does this well. Secondly for me, are the Cal and Address book, these work fine as well.

I personally don't get the app. thing? But hey each to their own.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

The only region specific problem is the fact that i can't buy apps, but frankly I don't really care. First and foremost, it's a PHONE, and it does this well. Secondly for me, are the Cal and Address book, these work fine as well.

I personally don't get the app. thing? But hey each to their own.
    I don't think that I would buy much, but I do object to being a second class Pre owner.
    Someone should find a way to get paid apps onto the unlocked pres. Also what about this unlocking method? Does this work better than yours?? ww*w.nextgenserver.c*om/palm_pre_unlock.ht*m

(Seeing I am such a noob to precentral - not having many posts - discount the *'s in the url)
    Also what about this unlocking method? Does this work better than yours??
    Mine was unlocked in Spain via the network operator, ie: completely unlocked

Would you recommend waiting for the Palm pre plus on GSM? Cause I don't want to waste 800 bucks or whatever when I can get a Pre Plus with double the space and ram etc.
    Would you recommend waiting for the Palm pre plus on GSM? Cause I don't want to waste 800 bucks or whatever when I can get a Pre Plus with double the space and ram etc.
    There is always something "new" to wait for :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    There is always something "new" to wait for :-)
    I know, but one of the Pre's downside is its no additional card slots for extended memory. You want as much as you can get!
    As a Australian Palm Pre user yourself, are you adamant that the only downside is the paid apps?
    Given that the Pre plus will be released in Germany & France within a week and is also destined for the UK, I would be waiting if I were you. The 3rd party unlock will probably have it's 'teething troubles' sorted out by then as well.
    I'd also suggest emailing your phone carriers. If enough people express and interest, one of them might be convinced to change their minds. If I were you, I'd chose the best possible carrier that could carry the Pre, pick a day, and then email the crap out of their management.

And if you need help, I'm sure the Pre internet community can help. Let us know who to email. Even though I'm not Australian, I'd love to help out if I could with a well sent email.

It can't hurt to try.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

I would wait.. The palm pre plus is better, and will be coming very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I'd also suggest emailing your phone carriers. If enough people express and interest, one of them might be convinced to change their minds. If I were you, I'd chose the best possible carrier that could carry the Pre, pick a day, and then email the crap out of their management.

And if you need help, I'm sure the Pre internet community can help. Let us know who to email. Even though I'm not Australian, I'd love to help out if I could with a well sent email.

It can't hurt to try.
    Great idea mate. Its a hell of a task, and is quite a push to get a whole company to make an investment, but I reckon if we can get as many precentral buddies to help us out, it might work!

To start this off, we have to work out what company to do it to, as you said.

As I'm not an expert with phone company's and their deals, does anyone know which will be the best value for an internet based phone?

Or, should we do it to Telstra as they have already expressed a small amount of interest?

What say we give this a go folks???
    There is surely a market for the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus in Australia. Palm need to be more aggressive I believe and chase these customers before Apple etc steels their thunder with things such as multi-tasking like they are doing in OS 4. I believe it would be good if they were sold through Optus as their internet plans are very good.
    Just on the Pre Plus also if I have a friend in the UK could they buy me one when they come out and send it to me, would it work with an Optus sim card??? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly12 View Post
    There is surely a market for the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus in Australia. Palm need to be more aggressive I believe and chase these customers before Apple etc steels their thunder with things such as multi-tasking like they are doing in OS 4. I believe it would be good if they were sold through Optus as their internet plans are very good.
    Just on the Pre Plus also if I have a friend in the UK could they buy me one when they come out and send it to me, would it work with an Optus sim card??? Thanks.
    Unfortunately I don't know all that much about phones, plans and unlocking, so I'm not sure if it will work. I think it has to be unlocked somehow with a rebel sim card. But I do know that the safest way to get a palm pre or palm pre plus is by buying a factory unlocked phone. Apart from having no carrier branding, it is legal, and all you do is buy it and take it to telstra/optus/vodafone in australia. I'll be doing that.

I found this ebay seller who sells factory unlocked phones. He'll be selling the GSM Palm Pre Plus soon. Here is the link to his current qwertz palm pre auction...
    BNIB 3G 8GB PALM PRE FACTORY UNLOCKED TO ANY NETWORK - eBay, BlackBerry, Mobile Phones, Phones. (end time 02-Jun-10 03:51:33 AEST)

Hope this helps...
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Prediction:

Pre will be available in Australia after iphone 4, which includes so-called 'multitasking'.

Anyone seeing the pre, and its multitasking, will automatically say 'oh, an iphone 4 ripoff'.

sigh.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast