Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    Any news on a task or todo app the will run native on the phone and sync with web? i was hoping remember the milk, todledo, or any similar service would come up with an app like they have for the iphone.

    currently i just make lists on google calender which sync with the phone but i was hoping with the app "explosion" we would see some useful task apps. have i missed anything?

    thanks
  2. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #2  
    Isn't there an app called "Cow" or something? Its a Remember the Milk app, but not made by Remember the Milk (hence why its not called Remember the Milk).
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Isn't there an app called "Cow" or something? Its a Remember the Milk app, but not made by Remember the Milk (hence why its not called Remember the Milk).
    Ughh..
    hence
  4. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #4  
    I plan on adding sync to Google Tasks to my app ToDo Classic whenever they release an API for it. I'm itching for online sync as well.
  5. #5  
    I use Note to Self to send todo items directly to my email inbox - it keeps me from having to check both when I'm trying to organize my day (I can also then send on my computer as well).

    I also use GeoStrings, as a location-based reminder. That part of my system isn't sync-able, but I'm okay with that.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    Any news on a task or todo app the will run native on the phone and sync with web? i was hoping remember the milk, todledo, or any similar service would come up with an app like they have for the iphone.

    currently i just make lists on google calender which sync with the phone but i was hoping with the app "explosion" we would see some useful task apps. have i missed anything?

    thanks
    Check out Outline Tracker and then look at syncing it with Basecamp.

    Outline Tracker Features
    Project management, collaboration, and task software: Basecamp

    Basecamp has a free account that allows one "project". That one project can be a never ending one, with multiple ToDo's and memos (that's what I did). The link for the freebie is kinda hard to find. It's in small print right below the first two boxes here: See plans, pricing, and free trial.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Check out Outline Tracker and then look at syncing it with Basecamp.

    Outline Tracker Features: Project management, collaboration, and task software: Basecamp

    Basecamp has a free account that allows one "project". That one project can be a never ending one, with multiple ToDo's and memos (that's what I did). The link for the freebie is kinda hard to find. It's in small print right below the first two boxes here: See plans, pricing, and free trial.
    Thanks for the info on free Basecamp. And Outline Tracker looks great... but honestly, $23.50 for the app seems a bit steep... Just my opinion. Thanks again though.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiedhouse View Post
    Thanks for the info on free Basecamp. And Outline Tracker looks great... but honestly, $23.50 for the app seems a bit steep... Just my opinion. Thanks again though.
    Download the trial version. It can have 50 entries. That should be enough to let you know whether or not it's worth the price.

    Keep in mind, that's a replacement program not only for a ToDo list, but a memo list, and an outline program and project manager.
  9. #9  
    To hparsons:

    Outline Tracker looks really cool and easy to use. Am I correct in saying that you need to link Outline Tracker to Base Camp in order to see and edit your task list and memos on your computer which will then sync with the Pre (and vice-versa)? Otherwise if you do not have Base Camp you will only have the Outline Tracker store the tasks and memos locally on the Pre and nowhere else? Thanks!
  10.    #10  
    found cow in homebrew. It is amazing how many more homebrew apps i use compared to app store

    I am not sure if cow stores the info locally on phone or needs a connection to work. I will need to investigate further, but it is a nice app.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrain1 View Post
    To hparsons:

    Outline Tracker looks really cool and easy to use. Am I correct in saying that you need to link Outline Tracker to Base Camp in order to see and edit your task list and memos on your computer which will then sync with the Pre (and vice-versa)? Otherwise if you do not have Base Camp you will only have the Outline Tracker store the tasks and memos locally on the Pre and nowhere else? Thanks!
    That's correct. However, the format used in Outline Tracker is a standardized format (XOXO), so I'm suspecting that there's something out there that can edit the files. At the very worst, a standard XML editor should work (XOXO is a subset of XML standards)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Isn't there an app called "Cow" or something? Its a Remember the Milk app, but not made by Remember the Milk (hence why its not called Remember the Milk).
    unfortunately the developer just switched to t-mobile and a nexus one, which is where i may be headed when nexus one comes to verizon. I wish some of these 3rd party tasks sites would support web os
    Last edited by lite blue; 01/30/2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    Any news on a task or todo app the will run native on the phone and sync with web? i was hoping remember the milk, todledo, or any similar service would come up with an app like they have for the iphone.

    currently i just make lists on google calender which sync with the phone but i was hoping with the app "explosion" we would see some useful task apps. have i missed anything?
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I was ripped a new one trying to ask the same question here and trying to understand how WebOS works in this level. Most people apparently don't understand their own device.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2190449

    In short, here's what that thread produced, ignoring comments like "the primary purpose of apps are for games" and "Palm Pre users don't care if they lose their data":

    (1) Right now it's difficult to say how sync occurs with third party apps on the Pre. For the moment, most apps are just resident on the phone like games.

    (2) I use ToodleDo, Milk on the iPhone too. There is nothing like it on the Palm WebOS right now or even close. I too wanted to know about "sync" between work machine and phone and got a bunch of silly questions asking why you'd want to do this. I'm guessing eventually something might happen but we're a long way off, see #1.

    (3) Another item that might be of interest is backup. Right now there is no full backup that I am aware of like on your iPhone. If you used ToodleDo iPhone only, all that data you entered is backed up to your hard drive via Itunes wired sync. Apparently Palm doesn't have any wired sync and only backs up certain data "to the cloud." This does NOT include your app data. There is no backup to your hard drive or sync via USB. Any and all app data you enter into your Pre is gone should the phone fail or be unavailable.

    (4) Like the iPhone, which is really a pain, every app must be individually synced manually. If it's an ASP like service like ToodleDo, then hypothetically we're talking again about paying for every app's service - if it were available. Given the backup, unless there is some conduit you may not want to get a To DO that doesn't have a reliable third party providing a web interface for backup.

    Those are the facts. I am sure I'm going to be met with a torrent of angry comments but, unfortunately as much as I really loved the promise of WebOS, those just are the facts. I hope I've saved you time and grief. Like on the iPhone boards, people are very sensitive about their equipment and honest answers about some important limitations of the phone are not easily forthcoming.
    Last edited by hinky; 01/30/2010 at 03:42 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I was ripped a new one trying to ask the same question here and trying to understand how WebOS works in this level. Most people apparently don't understand their own device.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2190449
    Actually, you asked a serious of questions that were troll-like, and had no single answer. You are doing the same on this thread, since your responses are about iPhone software, and the few bits of Pre information are inaccurate and display a vast ignorance of the device.


    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    In short, here's what that thread produced, ignoring comments like "the primary purpose of apps are for games" and "Palm Pre users don't care if they lose their data":

    (1) Right now it's difficult to say how sync occurs with third party apps on the Pre. For the moment, most apps are just resident on the phone like games.
    No, it's not difficult at all. Different apps will syncronize different ways. There is no one way, it depends on what the app does, and what it synchronizes with. Most apps are resident on the phone, Many are not.

    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    (2) I use ToodleDo, Milk on the iPhone too. There is nothing like it on the Palm WebOS right now or even close. I too wanted to know about "sync" between work machine and phone and got a bunch of silly questions asking why you'd want to do this. I'm guessing eventually something might happen but we're a long way off, see #1.
    Are you asking a question here, or making a statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    (3) Another item that might be of interest is backup. Right now there is no full backup that I am aware of like on your iPhone. If you used ToodleDo iPhone only, all that data you entered is backed up to your hard drive via Itunes wired sync. Apparently Palm doesn't have any wired sync and only backs up certain data "to the cloud." This does NOT include your app data. There is no backup to your hard drive or sync via USB. Any and all app data you enter into your Pre is gone should the phone fail or be unavailable.
    Again, you are displaying your ignorance. Speak to the iPhone all you want, but you are spewing incorrect information about the Pre.

    Different software backs up different ways. Those that pull information from the cloud do not back up the data at all, because that data exists on the cloud. Other apss have various backup capabilities. Some backup to a PC, others back up via file transfers, and others depend on the user to copy the data from the USB device (where the apps and their data are stored).


    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    (4) Like the iPhone, which is really a pain, every app must be individually synced manually. If it's an ASP like service like ToodleDo, then hypothetically we're talking again about paying for every app's service - if it were available. Given the backup, unless there is some conduit you may not want to get a To DO that doesn't have a reliable third party providing a web interface for backup.
    Again, this is totally incorect. Most applications I have that synchronize do so automatically. My ToDo list (which was the subject of this thread) synchronizes the free single project version of Basecamp.

    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Those are the facts. I am sure I'm going to be met with a torrent of angry comments but, unfortunately as much as I really loved the promise of WebOS, those just are the facts. I hope I've saved you time and grief. Like on the iPhone boards, people are very sensitive about their equipment and honest answers about some important limitations of the phone are not easily forthcoming.
    Those aren't facts, they're statements of opinion and ignorance.

    Actually, in your mentioned thread, you started a baiting thread that went on and on about how much you liked your iPhone, and why WebOS wasn't as good. Now you are trying to hijack another thread where a person has received honest answers to their queries. Isn't there an iPhone thread out there somewhere? Or better yet, you could use the time you waste on this forum actually using a Pre for more than an hour...

    Just sayin'
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, you asked a serious of questions that were troll-like, and had no single answer. You are doing the same on this thread, since your responses are about iPhone software, and the few bits of Pre information are inaccurate and display a vast ignorance of the device.
    It's the Precentral stalker! Following me around from thread to thread, dashing out the truths about the Pre which bother his sensitive personality. There isn't one piece of information you've been able to misread yet. G-d here has decided that my questions about how sync and backup works were "Troll-like" in his condescending opinion. You can already see where this is going.

    No, it's not difficult at all. Different apps will syncronize different ways. There is no one way, it depends on what the app does, and what it synchronizes with. Most apps are resident on the phone, Many are not.
    That's really informative and fact-based specifics that explains in detail how it all works. My response to you is that some apps are third party and some aren't. Some apps are blue and some are red. Exactly what are you trying to say except yell "you're wrong!!!"

    Again, you are displaying your ignorance. Speak to the iPhone all you want, but you are spewing incorrect information about the Pre.
    Actually, I got my information straight from Palm.com. It seems that you're pulling your opinion right out of your... thin air.

    Different software backs up different ways. Those that pull information from the cloud do not back up the data at all, because that data exists on the cloud. Other apss have various backup capabilities. Some backup to a PC, others back up via file transfers, and others depend on the user to copy the data from the USB device (where the apps and their data are stored).
    How about stating specifics other than generalities? As stated, it sounds like there is absolutely no rhyme or reason how things are backed up, by what, where they are backed up. In the other thread, didn't you or was it hordes of Palm Pre owners that said that wired sync was out and that wireless sync was the solution? That's the reason why wired sync is not supported and that my need for wired sync was something I desperately needed to get over? No man, EVERYTHING should get backed up to "the cloud." It was hilarious... I'll point you to the posts if you need it but you'll just misread or deliberately misunderstand those too.

    Again, this is totally incorect. Most applications I have that synchronize do so automatically. My ToDo list (which was the subject of this thread) synchronizes the free single project version of Basecamp.
    Basecamp is not ToodleDo. Thanks for at least providing us with one wonderful, useful bit of information. However, until this is explained, you're just rambling in your own stalking ignorance. The iPhone's problem is that things aren't sychronized automatically unless the third party provider is an ASP and the app and the third party provided app provides for automatic real time two way sync. With regard to third party apps that have desktop components, we have yet to see how this will work since hotsync is no longer an option and, from what I undestand and have been told by others here, there is nothing like iTunes or Blackberry sync that will provide you with the conduit that will ensure that it's done with the other third party apps. And BTW - I've used BOTH ToodleDo and BaseCamp.

    Those aren't facts, they're statements of opinion and ignorance.
    Actually, in your mentioned thread, you started a baiting thread that went on and on about how much you liked your iPhone, and why WebOS wasn't as good. Now you are trying to hijack another thread where a person has received honest answers to their queries. Isn't there an iPhone thread out there somewhere? Or better yet, you could use the time you waste on this forum actually using a Pre for more than an hour...
    One out of every thousand words from you might be useful because you're too busy trying to tell people that don't own a Pre that they don't have a right to discuss it. You're the one stalking me here and it seems like your little ego has you just waiting to pounce. This is about an iPhone app which I know how it works and the solution he's really looking for. Right now I've looked here for the basics and, I'm sorry to tell you, that they don't exist. Even on the iPhone ToodleDo is probably the only non-Mac based To Do GTD organizer (which basecamp isn't) that is adequate. The others either suck or don't have solutions. It's to be expected that WebOS doesn't have any of these solutions considering the API was just released.

    Go bother someone else or play with your Palm and thumb and slide as you've told us is your preference.
    Last edited by hinky; 01/30/2010 at 09:33 PM.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    It's the Precentral stalker! Following me around from thread to thread, dashing out the truths about the Pre which bother his sensitive personality. There isn't one piece of information you've been able to misread yet.
    Here's an interesting set of stats for you:
    -----
    hinky
    Member

    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Posts: 85
    Thanks: 8
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    -----
    hparsons
    Member

    Join Date: May 2003
    Posts: 4,168
    Thanks: 801
    Thanked 764 Times in 489 Posts
    =====
    I think "following you around" is a bit of a stretch. I think I posted on this thread before you jooined it.[/QUOTE]
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I plan on adding sync to Google Tasks to my app ToDo Classic whenever they release an API for it. I'm itching for online sync as well.
    That would be nice but it aint going to happen. Google has all but given up on their notes and tasks apps.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    ...
    That's really informative and fact-based. My response to you is that some apps are third party and some aren't. Exactly what are you trying to say except yell "you're wrong!!!"
    ...
    There was no question in particular. Are you asking how Palm provided apps sync, or third part?

    Regardless, there is no one answer. Different apps, even those provided by Palm, sync different ways, depending on the source. Email is a prime example. The way it synchronizes to Exchange (with uses Exchange Active Sync) is different than the way it synchronizes to an LDAP system, or a Google Mail system.

    Ask about a specific app, and I'm sure you will get specific answers. Even from me.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    ...
    Actually, I got my information straight from Palm.com. It seems that you're pulling your opinion right out of your... thin air.
    ...
    I think you're lying. Source and reference please?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    ...
    How about stating specifics other than generalities? As stated, it sounds like there is absolutely no rhyme or reason how things are backed up, by what, where they are backed up. In the other thread, didn't you or was it hordes of Palm Pre owners that said that wired sync was out and that wireless sync was the solution? That's the reason why wired sync is not supported and that my need for wired sync was something I desperately needed to get over? No man, EVERYTHING should get backed up to "the cloud." It was hilarious... I'll point you to the posts if you need it but you'll just misread or deliberately misunderstand those too.
    ...
    Did Palm tell you there was no "rhyme or reason", since you claim to be getting your information from them? Sorry, that's a dig, but it was a deserved dig.

    All Palm backs up to their server (currently) is the Palm user profile, and apps & data purchased from the App Catalog. Personally, I'd like to see better backup solutions as well, but they're just not there yet. At the same time, I never liked the Palm provided backups for their old systems either, and always bought third party solutions. I'm sure we'll see some of those soon. I know of at least two people that are currently working on solutions.

    I think it was you that misread those posts. Nothing "backs up to the cloud". The cloud is what hold the data, The Pre pulls the data from there. You don't back that data up to your desktop, it exists on the cloud. I'm thinking your disconnect is that you have a misunderstanding of what cloud computing is.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions