Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Basecamp is not ToodleDo. Thanks for at least providing us with one wonderful, useful bit of information. However, until this is explained, you're just rambling in your own stalking ignorance. The iPhone's problem is that things aren't sychronized automatically unless the third party provider is an ASP and the app and the third party provided app provides for automatic real time two way sync. With regard to third party apps that have desktop components, we have yet to see how this will work since hotsync is no longer an option and, from what I undestand and have been told by others here, there is nothing like iTunes or Blackberry sync that will provide you with the conduit that will ensure that it's done with the other third party apps. And BTW - I've used BOTH ToodleDo and BaseCamp.
    Not sure what you mean by "until this is explained", but yes, I know that Basecamp is not ToodleDo, I didn't say that it was, and sorry you couldn't discern that.

What you were incorrect about were the assertions in this statement (I'll bold the pertinent parts):

(4) Like the iPhone, which is really a pain, every app must be individually synced manually. If it's an ASP like service like ToodleDo, then hypothetically we're talking again about paying for every app's service - if it were available. Given the backup, unless there is some conduit you may not want to get a To DO that doesn't have a reliable third party providing a web interface for backup.
    As I stated in my response (which was why I mentioned Basecamp), my todo list (Outline Tracker) synchronizes automatically. No manual sync. You were wrong.

I have several cloud services, and do not pay a dime for any of them, with the possible exception of the Exchange server I run at home (the server did cost me money and the OS did, plus I pay for the internet connection, but I'd have that anyway)

On the last bolded part, I think you may have a misconception about how apps on the Pre are working. This is not a Sidekick. If the cloud goes down, the data on the Pre is still there, still working fine. Even on cloud based apps, data is stored on the Pre, but synced to the cloud. Data is downloaded to the Pre, and stored in a SQLite database. Data that is written the db, then gets pushed to the cloud. If the cloud goes away, the data is still available.

Different apps will have different backup capabilities (for those that don't want to simply trust the cloud, or need to export data), and some won't have any backup capabilities (for instance, my Pre doesn't back up my email).

You will likely never see a standardized conduit for the Pre. It's designed to be a cloud device.
    One out of every thousand words from you might be useful because you're too busy trying to tell people that don't own a Pre that they don't have a right to discuss it. You're the one stalking me here and it seems like your little ego has you just waiting to pounce. This is about an iPhone app which I know how it works and the solution he's really looking for. Right now I've looked here for the basics and, I'm sorry to tell you, that they don't exist. Even on the iPhone ToodleDo is probably the only non-Mac based To Do GTD organizer (which basecamp isn't) that is adequate. The others either suck or don't have solutions. It's to be expected that WebOS doesn't have any of these solutions considering the API was just released.

Go bother someone else or play with your Palm and thumb and slide as you've told us is your preference.
    Actually, this thread was not about "an iPhone app". He wasn't looking for a solution to an iPhone app, he used that as an example. He was specifically looking for:

Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    Any news on a task or todo app the will run native on the phone and sync with web? i was hoping remember the milk, todledo, or any similar service would come up with an app like they have for the iphone.

currently i just make lists on google calender which sync with the phone but i was hoping with the app "explosion" we would see some useful task apps. have i missed anything?

thanks
    I didn't see anything in any of your repsonses that addressed his question, other than to imply that it's not going to happen, and that he won't get any help from folks on here. Neither is true.

Basecamp may not be GTD based, but Outline Tracker most certainly is (though I suspect you know more about it than the author). The API for WebOS has been out for quite some time, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information; but as I stated before, it's incorrect and deserves to be corrected publicly. Just to make sure no one takes the incorrect information as truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    That would be nice but it aint going to happen. Google has all but given up on their notes and tasks apps.
    I fear you may be right on that one. I haven't seen much progress made on tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    On the last bolded part, I think you may have a misconception about how apps on the Pre are working. This is not a Sidekick. If the cloud goes down, the data on the Pre is still there, still working fine. Even on cloud based apps, data is stored on the Pre, but synced to the cloud. Data is downloaded to the Pre, and stored in a SQLite database. Data that is written the db, then gets pushed to the cloud. If the cloud goes away, the data is still available.
    As I've repeated to people here who just want to talk about device and cloud, the golden rule of backup is almost always to have three copies (a) on the device (b) locally, and (c) remotely. The Pre doesn't seem to have any plan to store a backup of the entire device locally - something even iTunes will do, even though it won't sync all your apps with the desktop versions. Assuming ALL your data is backed up to the cloud (which it isn't), your data on your Pre is gone if your Pre becomes corrupt or is lost. The iPhone, a device I really don't like for sync, makes a FULL BACKUP of ALL your data locally. The Blackberry allows for app sync and backup locally.

This leaves you with issue #2 - if there are apps that are NOT like Basecamp and have a server version, I'm not sure they are backed up at all. If you go to Palm.com it tells you what gets backed up on the Pre. So what happens if you have a standalone To Do app you love without an ASP service like Basecamp? It does NOT get backed up to Palm's cloud and, essentially, does not get backed up.

The important point here - I'm wary of using the Pre ATM since even if I want to try to use my Pre exclusively and wait a while until a desktop app or Web interface is provided, I'm not sure that there is any way to back up the data in these third party apps.

[QUOTE]Different apps will have different backup capabilities (for those that don't want to simply trust the cloud, or need to export data), and some won't have any backup capabilities (for instance, my Pre doesn't back up my email).
    You will likely never see a standardized conduit for the Pre. It's designed to be a cloud device.
    And if what you're saying is true, then third party apps can be a HUGE liability unless there is an ability to back up ALL the data on the Pre locally if it isn't being backed up on the cloud!!!!! Ding, ding, ding!!!! I'm not trolling, just researching like a diligent professional who wanted to make sure his data was safe! So far, unfortunately, I haven't even heard of anyone who says this is even in the works. If it isn't, there is no way I will buy a Pre even though I love the portrait keyboard and screen and the friendliness and promise of the WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Did Palm tell you there was no "rhyme or reason", since you claim to be getting your information from them? Sorry, that's a dig, but it was a deserved dig.
    Dig at whom? Your inability to focus?

All Palm backs up to their server (currently) is the Palm user profile, and apps & data purchased from the App Catalog. Personally, I'd like to see better backup solutions as well, but they're just not there yet.
    Hello!!! That's what I've been saying and you've been regurgitating to make it sound like you're telling us something new and "truth." The problem is NOT the basic Palm user profile. It's all the THIRD PARTY APPS!!!!

I think it was you that misread those posts. Nothing "backs up to the cloud". The cloud is what hold the data, The Pre pulls the data from there. You don't back that data up to your desktop, it exists on the cloud. I'm thinking your disconnect is that you have a misunderstanding of what cloud computing is.
    I understand perfectly. Unfortunately tons of people don't understand this part, which you and I DO understand. My one and only point has and always been that if there is data that does NOT back up to the cloud, it SHOULD be backed up somewhere, e.g. the desktop. This is what iTunes does. While it's far from perfect, at least it will leave an entire copy of your phone, third party apps and data, ON YOUR LOCAL DRIVE. That's better than nothing. Word out, truth it is.

I'm done here. I didn't want to hijack this thread but you've continuously posted here all your truths. The above is my point about the To Do app to a fellow iPhone user who is trying to understand how the Pre works. Now he should know and the caveats of how sync and backup work at the moment.
    As I've repeated to people here who just want to talk about device and cloud, the golden rule of backup is almost always to have three copies ...
    This thread wasn't a thread about backups, or the cloud, or what Palm is doing wrong/right/middle. It was a specific question about a specifc type of app on the Palm Pre/Pixi.

There are one of two possibilities here.
    You're a troll
    You're ignorant of what a thread on a forum is supposed to do

If the latter is the case, I suggest you make a thread asking about specific functions in each thread, instead of one big nonsense post about all the things you like about what Palm used to do, and how the Pre demonstrably faled in your 60 minutes of use.

If the former is the case, you should just go away, you're embarrassing yourself.
    The above is my point about the To Do app to a fellow iPhone user who is trying to understand how the Pre works. Now he should know and the caveats of how sync and backup work at the moment.
    I must have missed it where he said he's an iPhone user. I could have sworn he implied he was a Pre user, and wants specific information about the Pre and apps for it. You didn't give him that.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12