1.    #1  
    ok so i trusted Palm Pre security, now I am nervous...

Situation, I Had a Palm Pre and switched to verizon....

When my Profile was activated on my Pre Plus I was locked out of my sprint phone. When something like this happens, you assume that means you lost your data, atleast that is what I assumed.

I sold my old phone, it is being shipped across country at this time... Paranoia has set in and now I am wondering if once the new owner gets the phone, and logs in with his profile will he have access to my:

Contacts, messages, emails, etc, usb drive, etc.

If so then Palm is totally wack for locking you out without a message, as it is not stopping hackers from accessing your private data, just you.

So can you either put my paranoia to rest and tell me that the data is wiped, or tell me the process to wipe it. I already tried the online pre eraser, but it only gives me access to erase my current phone, not the old one.

Thanks.
    The contacts are in your palm profile so they shouldn't transfer. I believe messages and emails will be erased but without a full wipe the USB drive will stay intact. Maybe someone else who's more sure can chime in, but I believe that's how it works.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    You had p0rn on there didn't you?

Kidding. My guess is they will not see your stuff (contacts, etc.) because they will have their own profile overwriting it. My guess anyways.
  4.    #4  
    Just had a ton of private messages, emails, etc. I had photos (Family, dog, work, etc, but that is not that crucial, I saved all of those, I just don't want the new owner having all my contacts, text messages, emails, etc.

Does anyone know if the Messages are profile specific? Will the database file be over written by the new profile? Are messages stored in the database??
    You really should have done a full erase (before it was deactivated), and then applied WebOS Dr. Sort of like selling a computer without wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, my mistake. But when your new phone tells you "be sure to download your usb data, bla bla bla... before you login with your new profile bla bla bla... on your new phone bla bla bla..." It stands to reason it would be gone. And when I tried to doctor it, from the "enter your profile screen" it wouldn't work :-(
    The only thing he will have access to is your USB drive. Everything else is profile specific. If you're still concerned about your email, you can always just change your pw's for your email accounts from your PC. It's not really necessary but to each their own.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  8.    #8  
    So the messages and emails already on the phone are profile specific? that's great news thanks :-D

Most of the pictures on the phone are on my wife's facebook and myspace accounts anyways :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by crossweb View Post
    Yeah, my mistake. But when your new phone tells you "be sure to download your usb data, bla bla bla... before you login with your new profile bla bla bla... on your new phone bla bla bla..." It stands to reason it would be gone. And when I tried to doctor it, from the "enter your profile screen" it wouldn't work :-(
    If you doctored it, and got that far, your personal information is gone, except for the files on the USB drive. It seems I remember a program somewhere that will let you access it as a USB device without setting up the profile, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. Sort of moot now though, since it's gone.

Playing devil's advocate here (a hobby of mine), when I use the Windows utility to move my profile from one computer to another, it talks me through doing it, but nothing ever comes up and says "Be sure to wipe your hard drive and do a reinstall of Windows before shipping your computer off to someone else".
  10.    #10  
    LoL... But it doesn't lock you out like palm locks you out of your own phone, and shuts the device off ;-)