Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I spent most of the time sifting through:

(a) All the misinformation given by precentral members
    (b) all the short responses like yours that did nothing to answer questions and only for the satisfaction of looking like the coolest smart aleck in front of peers

Look at all of you. One by one coming here to pile on! I'm done. You've convinced me this place isn't friendly and most of you are scared witless hearing any negative characteristics of the Palm WebOS and Pre raised by users, even if innocently in the practice of trying to understand something new. Heard it! You should have known it! It's common knowledge! Whatever. Unsubscribing now...
    I've honestly lost track of what it was you were even asking... it looks like it went from asking how the Pre syncs to debating the merits of cloud based syncing to... then I'm not sure?

Business users can find comfort that there are a myriad of third party sync solutions that enable them to sync their PIM data to their desktops and forgo the cloud entirely in that aspect if they prefer, like Mark/Space's The Missing Sync and Pocket Mirror.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I've honestly lost track of what it was you were even asking... it looks like it went from asking how the Pre syncs to debating the merits of cloud based syncing to... then I'm not sure?
    Dealing with the tons of derisive comments and the last barrage of people trying to convince me they love their Pre. I've been answering the questions while I was still here tonight... you're right. What's the point any more?

Business users can find comfort that there are a myriad of third party sync solutions that enable them to sync their PIM data to their desktops and forgo the cloud entirely in that aspect if they prefer, like Mark/Space's The Missing Sync and Pocket Mirror.
    A myriad of third party solutions? There is a dearth of applications and a dearth of solutions... I was potentially willing to wait a bit if the answers were right and solutions on the horizon. Using euphemisms to change the facts isn't going to help make anyone think different of the Pre and spreads misinformation.

Pocket Mirror is a $40 a new Pre users must spend just to sync the phone with Outlook. The Missing Sync is another $40 application that does the same plus a little more. My question had to do with how third party business and productivity apps, most of which have yet to be created at this late date, are to be synchronized and backed up with the desktop. Most people have their head in the clouds and can't for the life of them figure out why Pocket Mirror is even necessary because it uses an ancient wire. Whatever. My last post... thanks for the effort. See ya.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Dealing with the tons of derisive comments and the last barrage of people trying to convince me they love their Pre. I've been answering the questions while I was still here tonight... you're right. What's the point any more?

A myriad of third party solutions? There is a dearth of applications and a dearth of solutions... I was potentially willing to wait a bit if the answers were right and solutions on the horizon. Using euphemisms to change the facts isn't going to help make anyone think different of the Pre and spreads misinformation.

Pocket Mirror is a $40 a new Pre users must spend just to sync the phone with Outlook. The Missing Sync is another $40 application that does the same plus a little more. My question had to do with how third party business and productivity apps, most of which have yet to be created at this late date, are to be synchronized and backed up with the desktop. Most people have their head in the clouds and can't for the life of them figure out why Pocket Mirror is even necessary because it uses an ancient wire. Whatever. My last post... thanks for the effort. See ya.
    A quick perusal of The Missing Sync and Pocket Mirror's respective websites will explain exactly how these apps sync. If you've used BlackBerry desktop manager or Palm Desktop, you know how these apps work. If you don't want to pay any money, there are a number of homebrew solutions that allow you to back your contacts up. And no, Palm is not going to supply a desktop sync app for webOS.

As far as how the rest of the third party applications sync, if they sync, completely depends on the app. What else besides PIM data do you need to sync to the desktop? If you're interested in syncing your media, you can stay downrev in iTunes (version 9.0.2 or earlier) or use programs like DoubleTwist , Media Monkey, The Missing Sync, and GoGadget (the Missing Sync without PIM backup).

And don't knock the cloud too much. With proper data redundancy precautions, the data of folks who sync exclusively to the cloud is just as safe (if not more so) than in a desktop only scenario.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    tags tell me from porsche to kia .... hahahaha so i should stick to my porsche phone ?
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    OP has issues understanding the Phone. Folks tried to help, and he /she keeps repeating the same.The post is now pointless. Moderators please close this thread.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456