Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Yah - thanks. No need to prolong this. That's really the answer. They can probably give better insight as to how Palm plans to have our desktop / netbooks sync with our phones. Without it, it's quite inefficient for me and many people. I think it's a legitimate question and can't imagine that people are no longer buying PCs or netbooks and only owning a Pre.
    It definitely has its shortcomings if you're not one to use the cloud as your primary place of holding your data. I personally don't mind having my data sit on the servers of our new Google overlords :P but that's just me. While everyone in this thread seems to be ragging on your for not understanding WebOS, it's okay. WebOS is new and different and it might take some getting used to. Making the switch from an iPhone myself, I find that not having to sync with a computer makes my life much easier. The lack of apps don't totally bother me since I'm extremely productive with the sheer ease of multi-tasking and the fact that I never have to worry if I synced my phone with my computer when it comes to backing up.

With the iPhone, I never really thought about syncing my data anywhere else but my computer, which screwed me over last year when it got stolen! I now keep everything in the cloud, as well as my home PC. And, to really answer your question about Palm syncing to the cloud, its really a Google/Yahoo thing. Palm Profile is shoddy at best, and you're better off keeping your data on Google or Yahoo and syncing it down to the Pre, since you can actually have access to it through your computer, which is not the case for the Palm Profile.

But granted, we are all different with our different needs. WebOS is a maturing OS, and Palm definitely took a different approach compared to Apple on it. Works for some, but not for all. And about your API question, I am going to assume these things will come eventually. Like the iPhone, the APIs didn't come overnight and it'd be naive to expect them to. Palm has been pretty good about giving developers access to the OS compared to Apple so I shouldn't see why USB sync would be a problem.

Hope this helps, and best of luck in your mobile endeavors!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Well, being a linux device, you don't even need a bunch of apps and whatnot to do things for you. Just shell in, tar up what you are interested in archiving, and then bring that down to your computer via /media/internal or the smarter way, using rsync over ssh. This solves all of your problems, no?
    No - I've got a Windows netbook and desktop. tarring is just backup, which the phone should do on its own (for the record, using iTunes means it uses the wire or WiFi to make sure that the entire phone and its files are backed up autotmatically, something Palm should be doing to allow for a full restore of your phone before a problem arose.) rsync will replicate files, not allow for the apps to sync the data, e.g. Outlook knows the last time you synced and make appropriate changes/updates between your device and desktop/netbook.

Contacts and such exist on the phone, and sync via "the cloud" (hate that term). You always have access to them, whether from phone or computer.
    Access to them... where exactly? Let's say it's Google apps - OK, I got that. But what about everything else you may install like that awesome ToDo/GTD organizer? How about the password keeper? How about Quicken/Financial data? Those are third party apps and solutions. There is no 'cloud' that just magically appears and stores the data.

The problem is that if you rely on this system then, as I said, an App developer can no longer just develop an app and be happy. He has to run a server farm somewhere and provide cloud services to you. And you'll have to pay for them. On the iPhone there are a couple of developers doing this because of the large number of users. That's a pretty big investment for an app developer to make here on the Web OS.

For everything else, just use the linux OS, ask someone to write an app, or write one yourself. Open phone. Open OS. Figuring out how to do this stuff is really not that hard on this device. It's just that we don't really need the 'one way' bound method of doing anything with our device as iphone users are forced into. Sorry.

I know you iphone folks aren't used to that culture, but that is what WebOS is. I don't need "an app for that". The base OS enables me to do it on my own, how *I* want to do it, through standard systems management techniques that I am already well-versed in. No programming necessary.
    So how do you do the things I asked for above? Numerous people use them. It's not like quicken/finance, password/senstive number info, etc. is just me. The password keeper is standard on the blackberry itself. There are at least 4 or 5 such applications on the iPhone, with desktop clients. It's a MEGA pain to sync but it's doable. So how does this work on the Palm Pre?

As I said, for those of you ignoring this or just not understanding, you'll figure it out soon enough when you find something beyond the surface that you realize you thought you could do but can't.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    While everyone in this thread seems to be ragging on your for not understanding WebOS, it's okay. WebOS is new and different and it might take some getting used to.
    Thanks for your answer. I understand Web OS perfectly. What we want is settled - nobody has answered the question and can, at the moment.

Making the switch from an iPhone myself, I find that not having to sync with a computer makes my life much easier. The lack of apps don't totally bother me since I'm extremely productive with the sheer ease of multi-tasking and the fact that I never have to worry if I synced my phone with my computer when it comes to backing up.
    Not working ever again makes life simpler too. For a huge number of us that work, we want our phones to sync important data with our desktops and netbooks. In big corporations, they have a cloud to handle that. What you're telling me is that you don't use your phone for anything but Google apps. Good for you. I don't need only Google productivity, I just need answers as to how Palm will handle the individual apps you WILL buy when they are out. You just haven't seen them now.

I guess being in WebOS application ignorance is bliss for the moment.

With the iPhone, I never really thought about syncing my data anywhere else but my computer, which screwed me over last year when it got stolen! I now keep everything in the cloud, as well as my home PC.
    Say what? The iPhone allows synching to the cloud - it's called MobileMe. If you owned an iPhone and not marketed to 1000 times then you really are missing a huge piece of what is in front of you. What Apple did, at least, was backup your entire phone to your PC incase you lose it. What happens if you lose your Pre? It breaks? Can you restore it exactly how it was before, data intact, even the applications that didn't sync? You can with the iPhone.

And, to really answer your question about Palm syncing to the cloud, its really a Google/Yahoo thing. Palm Profile is shoddy at best, and you're better off keeping your data on Google or Yahoo and syncing it down to the Pre, since you can actually have access to it through your computer, which is not the case for the Palm Profile.
    And this is another aspect that scares me about the Pre and the future of WebOS. If the Pre is designed to only take advantage of the current Google cloud system (and Palm's is shoddy) then Web OS is but a passing fancy, soon to be destroyed by Android. There is no way Palm will keep up, once Google gets Android right the third time around.

But granted, we are all different with our different needs. WebOS is a maturing OS, and Palm definitely took a different approach compared to Apple on it. Works for some, but not for all. And about your API question, I am going to assume these things will come eventually. Like the iPhone, the APIs didn't come overnight and it'd be naive to expect them to. Palm has been pretty good about giving developers access to the OS compared to Apple so I shouldn't see why USB sync would be a problem.
    Heck, what I need is what many people need. The question is "can it be done easily?" If Google and Blackberry can say "yes" then, as I said, Palm has really no strategy with this OS and device.

Before I invest in WebOS (without apps) a two year contract and moving my phones, I want to know how it is supposed to work with all those non-Google apps that many of us use. From using the iPhone, I've kept my eyes open to realize the limits of how to handle cloud computing and synching of ALL your data, not just the cloud based apps like Google calendar, contacts, etc.
    What you are telling me is what scares me. A phone is not a PC/Netbook replacement, not now, not in the foreseeable future.
    Pre is a easy to use little device, and you could simply get one and try for 30 days. You should be able to figure out if it fits your need.

No one device can fit everybody, if Pre is just not your cup of tea, there is no problem looking away, after couple of weeks trying.

I think the question you posed are quite strange to us, I really think you should test it yourself, this discussion will not help u.
    Hinky,
    Maybe I can help clear up some things.

The "Cloud" is a stupid term. When you first get a Pre, you have a choice of where you want it to sync. The default is the Palm profile which if you ever lost your Pre and got a new one all your apps and contacts/calendar would come back.

You can however choose it to sync to many different things:

Contacts you have a choice of syncing to:
    Palm Profile
    Google
    Facebook
    MS Exchange
    Linkedin
    Yahoo

Calendar you have a choice of syncing to:
    Palm Profile
    Google
    Facebook
    MS Exchange
    Yahoo

IM you have a choice of syncing to:
    Google Talk
    Yahoo
    AIM

Syncing seems to occur around every 5min (I could be wrong, but it's often). For example I decided to use Google for Contacts and Calendar. When I'm on my PC and add a new contact or calendar event it shows up on my Pre within minutes. The opposite is also true when I'm adding an event on my Pre and see it show up on my PC.

But if you're afraid that some day you'll loose or break your Pre and on that very day Google, Yahoo, or your Exchange server will be down you can still back it up to your PC with The Missing Sync You can choose to sync everything including all documents, music, ringtones, photos, files, and videos with a USB cable or if you have WiFi that you're allowed to use in your house it will automatically sync to your PC when it's connected.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not working ever again makes life simpler too. For a huge number of us that work, we want our phones to sync important data with our desktops and netbooks. In big corporations, they have a cloud to handle that. What you're telling me is that you don't use your phone for anything but Google apps. Good for you. I don't need only Google productivity, I just need answers as to how Palm will handle the individual apps you WILL buy when they are out. You just haven't seen them now.

I guess being in WebOS application ignorance is bliss for the moment.
    Now you make it sound like I'm not productive with my phone! I decided to use Google primarily because everything was synced to the cloud. And Palm's official answer to the whole syncing your individual apps is that it's up to the developer. So far, Backup in WebOS does not encompass individual applications(annoyingly) but in their mind, Rubeinstein was looking for a more hands-free approach when it came to syncing(mentioned in an interview during CES) Granted, I'm slightly annoyed as well with that fact since I have lost application data since the developer did not give a route to back it up. If memory serves me correctly though, Android has no recourse either.

Now, you mention that you work, and all you important people need to sync to your computer. That's fantastic. I work as well! IT Technician. While it does annoy me there is no Docs to Go, I manage to get most of my work done with my phone(which mainly is email correspondence). But, not EVERYONE that works needs their phone to sync to their computer. In some rights, its much easier not to think about having to sync. I'm a busy guy. I work 40-50 hours/week and its nice to know that a majority of my data(excluding application data) is stored somewhere safely. I back up to the Home PC once in awhile, but otherwise, it's in the cloud.

Say what? The iPhone allows synching to the cloud - it's called MobileMe. If you owned an iPhone and not marketed to 1000 times then you really are missing a huge piece of what is in front of you. What Apple did, at least, was backup your entire phone to your PC incase you lose it. What happens if you lose your Pre? It breaks? Can you restore it exactly how it was before, data intact, even the applications that didn't sync? You can with the iPhone.
    Let's not go down the MobileMe route. I was a .mac faithful for a few years and then MobileMe came out. Great, I thought! It can all be pushed to my iPhone! Then.. service interruptions piled on top of each other. Some emails lost forever! Luckily, I had local backups but that is still not an excuse for it to have such shoddy reliability from the get go and at the least, for something I paid for! As you can tell, I have since transferred away from MobileMe since I have lost trust in Apple in this particular area. And the Pre syncs about 90% of my important data. The last 10% is in applications, which I have stated, up to the developer.

Heck, what I need is what many people need. The question is "can it be done easily?" If Google and Blackberry can say "yes" then, as I said, Palm has really no strategy with this OS and device.

Before I invest in WebOS (without apps) a two year contract and moving my phones, I want to know how it is supposed to work with all those non-Google apps that many of us use. From using the iPhone, I've kept my eyes open to realize the limits of how to handle cloud computing and synching of ALL your data, not just the cloud based apps like Google calendar, contacts, etc.
    Just to put it out there, at least the last time I used a blackberry, the BB Desktop software DID not backup my third-party applications and their associated data. Maybe I did the backup wrong, I don't know. Just saying.

In the end, WebOS might not currently be a good fit for you. Sounds like the eco-system that Apple has created is serving you well. In my case, it didn't. It doesn't handle third-party multi-tasking, proper notification support, a proper unified email inbox and the fact that MobileMe was the only way of pushing data via "the cloud" for the longest time was annoying. AT&T didn't help either with their horrible data network in the SF Bay Area.

Anywho, like I said earlier, best of luck. And it would do you good not to be so hostile.
    Wow, reading through this was brutal... Best thing to do is talk to a trained verizon / sprint rep, get set up with a temporary number, try it for a month. We all us our devices differently. It is hard to put every feature that everybody wants into a phone. You use the smartphone that best complements your life.

Just cause I use googleapps, doesn't make me a mindless drone. All my computers and smartphones have access to my mail, calendar and contacts for free. Any change on one means the change is reflected on all devices. That's powerful to me.

Hope you find your magical device... hey, have you looked into getting an iPad?
  8.    #48  
    I'm done trying to explain to those of you who can't understand what I'm talking about. You'll figure it all out later when the apps come and you'll say "what? I thought "the cloud" solved all those problems!" No, it's not a magical device. The Palm did what I described for years. Blackberries do it. Symbian does. I'm not sure but Android may. Even the poorly designed iPhone (for files, attachments and app synching) backs up all data and can provide desktop/netbook sync. But right now, Palm is the only one with a big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    So far, Backup in WebOS does not encompass individual applications(annoyingly) but in their mind, Rubeinstein was looking for a more hands-free approach when it came to syncing(mentioned in an interview during CES) Granted, I'm slightly annoyed as well with that fact since I have lost application data since the developer did not give a route to back it up. If memory serves me correctly though, Android has no recourse either.
    If you can use Google to manage your life, that's cool, really. But as you just put it, HERE is a major hole. Can't confirm about Android but how absolutely stupid is it to design what is a consumer device that (a) syncs ONLY to exchange instead of Outlook, (b) cannot back up any apps and the data installed onto the phone that you bought from the app store??!?!!!

Yes, you understand the problems that none of these people are getting. Buy a few apps people. WHERE is the data in those apps stored like your long to do list? It is NOT being stored in the cloud!!!! Even on the iPhone, a poor device for third party apps and file/doc management, even they have a system which backs up your entire device each time you sync. Will check on Android.

But, not EVERYONE that works needs their phone to sync to their computer. In some rights, its much easier not to think about having to sync. I'm a busy guy. I work 40-50 hours/week and its nice to know that a majority of my data(excluding application data) is stored somewhere safely. I back up to the Home PC once in awhile, but otherwise, it's in the cloud.
    True - but as I said, what happens IF the Palm store has 10,000 applications, many of which WILL store data on the phone? WHERE is it backed up? If it's natural to have a desktop app, e.g. Quicken, Passwords, how did Palm anticipate that these two devices sync? Once again, to people other than yourself, it does NOT get stored in the cloud!!!!! As of right now, it doesn't seem to be backed up or synced at all!!!!

Let's not go down the MobileMe route. I was a .mac faithful for a few years and then MobileMe came out.... As you can tell, I have since transferred away from MobileMe since I have lost trust in Apple in this particular area. And the Pre syncs about 90% of my important data. The last 10% is in applications, which I have stated, up to the developer.
    LOL, I hear ya! Many Apple fanatics swear that MobileMe is the greatest thing ever. I'm sure it works for a number of people but will not vouch for reliability. Still, it's there if you want and people do use it.

Just to put it out there, at least the last time I used a blackberry, the BB Desktop software DID not backup my third-party applications and their associated data. Maybe I did the backup wrong, I don't know. Just saying.
    It does. In fact, Blackberry sync allows the applications to sync with desktop apps. It's really nice. Some apps that are provided by third parties use wireless sync for backup (like the To Do organizer, which is awesome.) Others, like passwords, money apps, etc. do have desktop components so that you can enter all the data on the desktop and have it available on the phone on the go. Pretty nice.

In the end, WebOS might not currently be a good fit for you. Sounds like the eco-system that Apple has created is serving you well. In my case, it didn't. It doesn't handle third-party multi-tasking, proper notification support, a proper unified email inbox and the fact that MobileMe was the only way of pushing data via "the cloud" for the longest time was annoying. AT&T didn't help either with their horrible data network in the SF Bay Area.
    Multitasking is not a MUST. It certainly makes life easier, no question. But Apple's walled garden ecosystem SUCKS. What it doesn't do is handle basic file transfer - you cannot drag and drop files to the iPhone. Second, it uses a sandbox system so if you have a word doc on your iPhone, ONLY the app that was used to transfer the doc via WiFi can see it. NO OTHER APPS, even those that read word docs, can view it. When something goes wrong or is corrupt... jeez. The iPhone is built for music, movies and pictures, that's it. Email is OK and web browsing is great.

Anywho, like I said earlier, best of luck. And it would do you good not to be so hostile.
    Nahhh... I've just tried to chill everyone out and got bombarded with Palm fanzies who have little more to say then "stop trolling" instead of taking a minute to figure out what I'm talking about. Right now, it's still a guess. As I said, we don't know yet the answer - time to ask the developers. Best of luck to you. I appreciate the good words, the advice, and the knowledge on the other end.
    What you are telling me is what scares me. A phone is not a PC/Netbook replacement, not now, not in the foreseeable future. They are different tools. I need my data accessible in both. So do most people. I don't need a standalone phone that does everything itself and will back itself up to the cloud and not talk to my netbook/pc/home-office network. If I can't fire up my netbook or PC and get the same data I have on my phone, then this entire episode with WebOS will be short lived and work for the few people that live with their phone and don't use a laptop/desktop PC.

My Blackberry was great except miserable for browsing. The moment they figure out to add a touch screen to the Bold/Curve I'd dump everything else. The iPhone is a great toy with some extra power but fails for the same reason you are discussing - I had enough of Steve Jobs telling me to use his company and trust every developer with my data, go out and buy a Mac to make it all happen perfectly and pay everyone annual service fees for nirvana.

If you're saying the Palm Pre can't do simple things like syncing important data in apps between my netbook/desktop and the phone, then the Pre is of little value, unfortunately. I'd find that hard to believe that they would be that short sighted, but you never know. But it's why business people need two phones if they have an iPhone - it's just a media player with good entertainment and other general apps, not a business solution.
    sure the phone will replace the notebook/netbook and your tv will become your home computer lol all you will have to do is plug your phone in to a monitor or screen and youll have your computer in hand lol sooner than you think!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Nahhh... I've just tried to chill everyone out and got bombarded with Palm fanzies who have little more to say then "stop trolling" instead of taking a minute to figure out what I'm talking about. Right now, it's still a guess. As I said, we don't know yet the answer - time to ask the developers. Best of luck to you. I appreciate the good words, the advice, and the knowledge on the other end.
    The Pre will not sync with your desktop. PERIOD. It have been said a thousand times in this thread. You don't have local backup. If you don't want this, it isn't your platform. And (again), data backup is a developer's choice (as in all other platforms, I must say).

Don't come here to preach to anyone. I tried PalmOS, WiMo, and now webOS and this is by far the best sync experience.

It does. In fact, Blackberry sync allows the applications to sync with desktop apps. It's really nice. Some apps that are provided by third parties use wireless sync for backup (like the To Do organizer, which is awesome.) Others, like passwords, money apps, etc. do have desktop components so that you can enter all the data on the desktop and have it available on the phone on the go. Pretty nice.
    What's this??? 3rd party sync. Not RIM sync. In webOS, you don't need an official interface to sync. That's the difference.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 01/29/2010 at 05:15 PM.
    Ahh, well the "fanzies"(because I can't type in *******) are just looking for another convert to put in the face of Apple users xD Sorry to lash out a bit as well though! Like I said, best of luck in your mobile endeavors. May you find your mobile Shangri-La
    I can further add that syncing to the desktop is an old technology. Think about it, Palm pretty much invented desktop syncing and even they thought it was time to replace it with something better.

What good is syncing to a desktop when you need your data now? If I'm traveling and loose my device or have to fix it by erasing it I'm screwed. Syncing to the desktop makes the least amount of sense given the current state of technology.

A lot of Palm users switched to backing up to SD cards on the device instead or setting up their Hotsync to work over the Internet so we didn't have to be dependent on being where our PC was. To be honest it was really nice to sync to my PC over the Internet (albeit slow because of 1 or 2G speeds) but that's where syncing has evolved to.

I confess I was skeptical at first but after a couple of replacement Pre's I gotta admit that the nicest thing in the world is to log into your Palm Profile and see "Calendar Syncing", "Email Syncing", "Contacts Syncing" and a few minutes later on a brand new Pre are all of your apps and stuff are right there.

It's not really hard to convince an iPhone user to switch to a Pre. You show them multitasking, Synergy and a real keyboard and they end up saying "Ooh, I like that better".
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I can further add that syncing to the desktop is an old technology. Think about it, Palm pretty much invented desktop syncing and even they thought it was time to replace it with something better.
    Then why aren't all your external hard drives, scanners, and powering of your phone done wirelessly? It has nothing to do with "better." The cloud is NOT a replacement for everything. Crazyness...

What good is syncing to a desktop when you need your data now? If I'm traveling and loose my device or have to fix it by erasing it I'm screwed. Syncing to the desktop makes the least amount of sense given the current state of technology.
    You need to read this thread carefully. You are ASSUMING that everything on your Palm is magically transported to some cloud owned by Google and placed wherever you want... IT IS NOT!!!! What about the third party apps that you haven't bought and seen how they will work (like they do on the Berry, the iPhone, etc.) because they aren't available yet!!!

A lot of Palm users switched to backing up to SD cards on the device instead or setting up their Hotsync to work over the Internet so we didn't have to be dependent on being where our PC was. To be honest it was really nice to sync to my PC over the Internet (albeit slow because of 1 or 2G speeds) but that's where syncing has evolved to.
    That's not too great. Hotsync served TWO purposes - leaving a full backup on your PC and syncing the phone and the Desktop apps. Just because having a cloud to restore your phone on the road is good does NOT change the fact that (a) I sure as heck want a local copy of my data in my possession, and (b) as discussed above, THIRD PARTY APPS ARE NOT BACKED UP TO GOOGLE OR THE CLOUD!!!! We aren't sure they are backed up at all. PLUS that doesn't solve how you can sync your phone's third party apps with a desktop client.

I confess I was skeptical at first but after a couple of replacement Pre's I gotta admit that the nicest thing in the world is to log into your Palm Profile and see "Calendar Syncing", "Email Syncing", "Contacts Syncing" and a few minutes later on a brand new Pre are all of your apps and stuff are right there.

It's not really hard to convince an iPhone user to switch to a Pre. You show them multitasking, Synergy and a real keyboard and they end up saying "Ooh, I like that better".
    I have an iPhone. You guys can try to convince iPhone users all you want to move to a Pre. For all the ahs you talk about they will point to their own likes... for example... about 90,000 more applications that do a lot of useful stuff. So they don't multitask. Hasn't killed anyone. Neither did the old Palm.

I have dinner and a show to go to. I suggest you read through the thread to understand that the issues we are talking about are THIRD PARTY APPS - NOT the built in stuff you have in your phone. When you take time to invest, you'll realize that there are a lot of question marks. The Palm Pre is awesome fun but there are a number of outstanding questions about those apps... and full backup and restore of all the things that are not backed up or synced...
    Wow...??? To think I remember when a color tv was an expensive item (with all 4 channels)!

Just last night I yelled at my Pre to grow legs and serve my dinner. Damm POS just sat there.

I then screamed at my ITouch to wipe my *** after I went to the bathroom...again no luck. It too just sat there. I assume another POS.

Then I spent hours typing on the web why these things don't do what I want! People gave me answers, but I refused to listen to them. Now I'm ****ed and confused.

Other people and crappy technology is why I live in continuos pain! Please solve my problems...oh and by the way, I want it small and cheap (cause Lord knows I don't want to pay for what I want)!

Sorry, complete sarcasm on my part, but I do get so sick of these threads.

But I will forgo the quoting everyone.
    I hold the orange (alt) key and then move left or right on the screen to make selections. Works well.
    I hope it was my Outline Tracker which looked good to you! I've released a free version which is limited to 50 items but otherwise has all the features. See the methodologies page on outlinetracker dot com for how to implement GTD. It syncs with Basecamp from 37signals.

[QUOTE=Cringer;2186638]4) a)There are task managers beside to stock one. I believe a new one just came out in the App Catalog this week which looked pretty nice and almost had me paying for it even though I am not big on task managers.
    I don't know what all the hub-bub-bub is about...

I skimmed through some of the messages... a lot has already been said.

My opinion...

The iPhone is not as productive as the Pre.

Sure... it has a whole lot of fancy stuff... but not efficiency.

On my Pre I can easily skim through multipile applications looking for information in one app to copy and paste, dial a number, coordinate a location... its very simple to use.

I can have my music going while skimming the web while texting a friend while downloading apps...

Each day the Pre is steadily gaining apps and the new 3-d games are incredible!!

I can drag music, movie, word docs, spreadsheets from my home computer/laptop to my Pre over the usb cable... very convenient.

The picture quality is great and with the Flash update the video aspect will be equally great. We will finally have a camcorder (never quite understood that one).

The touch between the Pre and the iPhone are different as well. The iPhone virtual keypad is a bit annoying... I like the option of our slide out or virtual keyboard (although get an keyboard app that REALLY works)

In comparison... if you're looking for name... go APPLE... if you're looking to stand out... go PALM...

I have turned so many heads as well as fanatical iPhone and G1/My Touch users... the Pre is beautifully designed, very sleek and I like the all black.

I'm a happy, satisfied Palm Pre owner... don't have any intentions for Apple products (at this point in time)
  18.    #58  
    The comments made me laugh, having nothing to do with the point of the thread and issue it addresses.

DougReeder - thanks for piping in. I see you've made a good start on creating something of a GTD / To Do app for the Pre Plus and Web OS. Right now it's limited to sync with Basecamp. That's more of an online collaboration tool. I'd be interested if you're coming out with a product that is economical to have desktop entry, exportable (so I have a copy locally) and, most important, perhaps the answer to the following two questions:

(1) If you made a desktop app to sync the Pre with your desktop, entering to dos, tasks, etc., is there a conduit that will allow your Palm Pre to sync with the desktop using the USB connection? If not, how would they sync?

(2) Do you have any insight as to how Palm envisions having several third party apps sync? Is there something in the API that calls to each syncing app to sync automatically or are we talking about manual sync of every application?

For those of you who can't figure out this conversation and are still talking about how much you like the pre better than the iPhone, last I saw the cost of just having the "client" side of Basecamp ran you $12 a month. This means that if you preferred to enter all your tasks and information while you were using your desktop as you were working, like most normal people do, it will cost you $12 a month to do it. That is because another third party is providing "the cloud" along with the web interface that is being hosted that works with a web browser on your desktop computer.
    Then why aren't all your external hard drives, scanners, and powering of your phone done wirelessly? It has nothing to do with "better." The cloud is NOT a replacement for everything. Crazyness...
    I don't know what island you've been marooned on but there are plenty of wireless printers and external drives. In fact most people I know get the wireless printers. But a wireless printer is a peripheral device and is not a mobile computing device, so I have no idea what you're trying to compare there.

You need to read this thread carefully. You are ASSUMING that everything on your Palm is magically transported to some cloud owned by Google and placed wherever you want... IT IS NOT!!!! What about the third party apps that you haven't bought and seen how they will work (like they do on the Berry, the iPhone, etc.) because they aren't available yet!!!
    I don't think you're looking at the big picture. Nobody said "everything" is synced to the cloud. And you are really fixated on Google for some reason, I tried to explain to you Google is just one of the options our magic syncs to. Far as third party apps, that's dependent on how they design the software I'm assuming you're smart enough to know that they can develop any number of ways to have your data backed up. If I was as paranoid as you are about the safety of my data I'd go to the website of that vendor and search for what method they're using. Sounds like you're complaining about third party vendors and this is a Pre forum you're posting to. I'm not sure what you expect to get out of that rant?

That's not too great. Hotsync served TWO purposes - leaving a full backup on your PC and syncing the phone and the Desktop apps. Just because having a cloud to restore your phone on the road is good does NOT change the fact that (a) I sure as heck want a local copy of my data in my possession, and (b) as discussed above, THIRD PARTY APPS ARE NOT BACKED UP TO GOOGLE OR THE CLOUD!!!! We aren't sure they are backed up at all. PLUS that doesn't solve how you can sync your phone's third party apps with a desktop client.
    Third party apps can sync to the cloud. And there's no reason why they couldn't. Checkbook syncs to Google as you can read about here. Evernote syncs to their own servers and if you don't believe me I can forward their response to that question or feel free to ask them yourself. I think you don't know much about the Pre or how it works.

I have an iPhone. You guys can try to convince iPhone users all you want to move to a Pre. For all the ahs you talk about they will point to their own likes... for example... about 90,000 more applications that do a lot of useful stuff. So they don't multitask. Hasn't killed anyone. Neither did the old Palm.
    Well it's not like we're Jehovah's Witnesses walking up to people's doors asking them to convert to Pre. And 90,000 fart apps don't make for a better user experience. I agree that iPhone has a few apps I'd like to see on WebOS but the iPhone didn't have 90,000 apps after only a year. So let's be fair and agree it won't take long for the Pre to have plenty of apps either. And while we're at it let's be honest, nobody uses that many apps. At the most people use maybe 5-7 apps the majority of the time and the rest just sit there like unwanted Christmas presents. And your wrong, the ability to multitask and all the other abilities of the Pre did kill the old Palm, that's why they don't sell them anymore.

I have dinner and a show to go to. I suggest you read through the thread to understand that the issues we are talking about are THIRD PARTY APPS - NOT the built in stuff you have in your phone. When you take time to invest, you'll realize that there are a lot of question marks. The Palm Pre is awesome fun but there are a number of outstanding questions about those apps... and full backup and restore of all the things that are not backed up or synced...
    Hope you've calmed down before the dinner and show. The "stuff we have in our phone" dictates what features and opportunities developers have to exploit for the benefit of their app. You keep talking like the Pre has been around forever and Palm is done maturing the OS. Nothing could be further from the truth. As I've already explained to you, some apps sync their data to Google. Some have their data sync to their servers. And some use other means but that's entirely dependent on the individual vendor and you should go to their forums with those concerns. You asked a lot of questions about the Pre and most people here were helpful to you even though you acted like a jerk at times. The big picture is the Pre was made to multi-task and use Synergy along with an easy to program for OS. You can argue the iPhone has more apps and I won't argue. You can argue the iPhone has a bigger screen and I won't argue. But I make no apologies when I say the Pre has a better OS who's potential hasn't even been fully realized yet and I don't think you or anyone can win that argument unless Apple catches up with the capabilities in WebOS (and you're never getting Flash for any iPhone OS product). Android comes close but not as polished and too scared to do multitouch for some reason.
    Just reading thread tags explains everything...
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast