Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Forget it man, I don't enter any credit card info saved on my PC.. thats just asking for trouble. I don't put credit card info on my phone either. You may be comfortable with that, but i'm not. I only use cloud to store contacts, apps, and documents. I don't put confidential documents on my phone. And yes, I use my phone for business as well as many other Pre owners. I juggle 10 clients at a time with social services. I have no problems at all. Obviously this phone isn't for you, so why continue to debate it?
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Perhaps none of you use your phones for anything other than games or Google running your life. It has NOTHING to do about adapting to new technology since that's my business. It's about knowing how it works and who may really have access to your data. You can trust your credit card info and bank passwords to some company in Nicaragua and call customer service if you have a problem. I've tried to give examples and I'll do it one more time.

You buy apps because they do stuff that help you beyond the built in stuff Palm is storing for you in their cloud. Some examples include the following, all of which you WILL use when you use your desktop or laptop computer every day. All of these have desktop clients or online clients to enter data from your laptop/desktop:

(1) Password/credit card keeper - storing all your passwords, credit cards, online accounts. On your PC you enter your frequent flyer number, credit cards, whatever it is as it's much easier to do so and you also may have stuff, while at work, you enter right on your PC. Virtually ALL have desktop clients because I sure as heck don't want to store it on some web-based cloud by a developer I don't know.

(2) Finance Applications - How about Quicken or expense keepers that you use on your PC which pulls in data from your phone, etc.

(3) Documents to Go - I get all sorts of MS Office docs, like most people, including PDFs. I don't care to use Google docs for many reasons (including industry compatibility) and just want simple sync back and forth between my PC/Netbook and mobile phone - it syncs a set of docs that allows me to review stuff even when on the train, bus, etc. This has a desktop client to sync back and forth.

(4) To Do / Tasks - Most of these are complex when you get to the good ones. Simple Outlook / Google don't cut it. They give you different priority lists, etc. It has either a desktop client to enter your tasks while you are working or web based interface that somebody (not palm) who developed the application hosts. Thus you cannot enter your tasks if you have your netbook on a train, etc., you must be live. Outlook allows you to open up, see all your emails and to dos, respond, add, delete and it syncs when you connect, which is nice.

(5) Outlook/Exchange - yell all you want about Google calendar. If you use Exchange or have much in Outlook, there is no reason or ability to change. This is why Outlook sync is standard out of the box. Most who have the basic office package have MS word, excel, power point and outlook.

There ya go. I don't need backup, this ain't adapting to new technology - I need SYNC. Blackberry does this very well but just has no touch screen browser or I'd be there. I can't have my password/number keeper on somebody's server somewhere as in "the cloud" (Whose cloud?). I need a desktop client. For sync of docs with my phone I need a desktop connection to sync my phone. With the iPhone, every time you want to sync you MUST have WiFi. If you are at work and can't connect via WiFi (very common) then you're stuck. If you're at home, sync requires this:

(1) turn WiFi on (hopefully automatic pairing with your wireless router you must buy)
    (2) do the following 4+ times
    (i) manually open the first app on the phone
    (ii) open the first app on the dekstop
    (iii) get the code from the desktop to enter into the phone
    (iv) enter the code into the phone and now the apps are "paired"
    (v) manually sync the phone

What took me 2 seconds now takes endless minutes just to sync the data between apps. Don't need a cloud, don't want a cloud and, in many instances, there is no "cloud", just some developer's server in Kazakhstan or wherever he/she may be.

Next - If I wanted to hand over whatever privacy I have left to Google, I'd buy an Android phone. It's insane - most of you are trying to use Google to run your lives from a company that will always play catch up with Google and Android. Same thing with iTunes. Makes no sense at all.
    I don't see where you want to arrive. You asked us how webOS syncs. And webOS syncs this way. Period. If you don't like, you can buy desktop sync apps, or buy another phone. I run my life with Google because I want, and you're nobody to criticize this. If that's not your case, it's OK for me. I'm not saying anything because your preference is another: it's your election. (I think it's an step backwards, but you're free to do what you like).

Continue with the iPhone, or buy a classic WiMo device.
    it seems like you have very specific questions that may/may not be answered by others here because we obviously don't use the phone in the same fashion you do. Your best option may be to just buy the phone and do the 30 day trial to see if it fits your needs and return it if it doesn't. The cloud is a big part of palm's strategy and you may not be comfortable with that. Fortunately for paid apps you'll have an email receipt if you lose it. There are also preware type options for doing a manual backup with your computer. As far as the touchstone, yes, it's just a glorified battery charger, but you don't understand the convenience until you have one. It is also ~ $30 from various websites including dell recently.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Forget it man, I don't enter any credit card info saved on my PC.. thats just asking for trouble. I don't put credit card info on my phone either. You may be comfortable with that, but i'm not. I only use cloud to store contacts, apps, and documents. I don't put confidential documents on my phone. And yes, I use my phone for business as well as many other Pre owners. I juggle 10 clients at a time with social services. I have no problems at all. Obviously this phone isn't for you, so why continue to debate it?
    So you'll put all of your valuable contact info in the phone, send it to someone's cloud you don't know, but storing your passwords into a highly encrypted application on your home pc is just nuts. Yeah, that makes plenty of sense.

With regard to the phone, I'm still trying to figure out HOW it works. It seems there aren't enough apps to know how it will work. If Palm made wire sync impossible and not an option, like Apple did with the iPhone, then good luck to all of you when there are apps out there. The Pre and Web OS will die because it's an iPhone wanna be, telling people how they think it should work and abandoning the significant following it had from the Treo customers, like myself. Right now former customers are practically the only ones that even know the Pre and Pixi exist. Let's just hope that Palm didn't do anything so stupid as not enabling developers to sync over USB.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I think many of your questions have been answered. Some people are brushing off your concerns/wants in part and that is extending this thread some. In the end, there are syncing options for several things, and if you want to use Palm Classic options for even more (including editing docs with Go to Docs instead of just viewing them). The password/account info keepers I see, and the one I use, do not sync to the cloud it is just stored on the device. That is not something that can be moved over to a PC though from what I know so basically it is not backed up. I kind of use it as my backup though, so for me it is fine.

I think from what it sounds like that in the current world of smart phones you are not going to find the perfect phone at this time for our needs, you will always have something that isn't perfect. Though I do not know how much you have looked into Android phones and/or a Maemo phone like the Nokia N900. A ton can be done with the Palm Pre, but using and exploring the device hands-on is the only real way you will find out all you need to know (though that may be a waste of money in the end if you are unhappy).
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    it seems like you have very specific questions that may/may not be answered by others here because we obviously don't use the phone in the same fashion you do. Your best option may be to just buy the phone and do the 30 day trial to see if it fits your needs and return it if it doesn't.
    The problem is that I'd be porting over a line I have with AT&T. It's not a matter of "new every two." I need to know how this phone works before I sign contracts.

The cloud is a big part of palm's strategy and you may not be comfortable with that. Fortunately for paid apps you'll have an email receipt if you lose it. There are also preware type options for doing a manual backup with your computer. As far as the touchstone, yes, it's just a glorified battery charger, but you don't understand the convenience until you have one. It is also ~ $30 from various websites including dell recently.
    It's not the cloud that bothers me - with Apple, it's the cloud and refusal to provide any USB / wired sync options. It's insane. This is why many people call the iPhone an amazing toy but not good to do business with. And yes, you're right about not knowing and I can accept that. With people here trying to hype the Palm's apps store as if it is a huge library, apparently we still don't have the simplest apps that call for the above yet, just games and some other extras. I may need the help of a developer to tell me what to expect from Palm Apps in the future.

Regarding the Touchstone, I like the idea of dumping my phone on a magnetic device and it charging. $30 is still expensive for the same but doable. The key is, though, whether I can just simply sync docs and the like between my computers, a mind numbing simple task for which there is disk mode but the touchstone can't perform. I ask myself why in the world didn't palm enable a connection from the touchstone to the PC if you're already using the USB?
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    So you'll put all of your valuable contact info in the phone, send it to someone's cloud you don't know, but storing your passwords into a highly encrypted application on your home pc is just nuts. Yeah, that makes plenty of sense.

With regard to the phone, I'm still trying to figure out HOW it works. It seems there aren't enough apps to know how it will work. If Palm made wire sync impossible and not an option, like Apple did with the iPhone, then good luck to all of you when there are apps out there. The Pre and Web OS will die because it's an iPhone wanna be, telling people how they think it should work and abandoning the significant following it had from the Treo customers, like myself. Right now former customers are practically the only ones that even know the Pre and Pixi exist. Let's just hope that Palm didn't do anything so stupid as not enabling developers to sync over USB.
    Bolded section #1 - You do kind of answer your own question. Bolded section #2 - you have been told this is not true so I would hope to see you move on from it.

Palm itself did not make a desktop client to sync multiple things over to your PC. There are thrid party desktop clients though that you can sync with via USB or wifi. True though that there are not many apps in the catalog at this time that have a matching dekstop client, so it is hard to tell how far syncing can be taken I guess. The new PDK may open up more then 3D gaming though and I expect to see more productivity apps, though that is my personal speculation.
  8.    #28  
    Thanks for your polite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    The password/account info keepers I see, and the one I use, do not sync to the cloud it is just stored on the device. That is not something that can be moved over to a PC though from what I know so basically it is not backed up. I kind of use it as my backup though, so for me it is fine.
    And this is the incredible self-centered, absurd mindset that reigns in the Apple world and has possibly manifested itself here. So the cloud will back up a lot of things 400 times but there are apps on your phone that will NEVER get backed up because the wired sync we have had for years was just removed because we've "evolved?" Pathetic. More marketing. The iPhone was designed as an entertainment system. It has an excuse. What's Palm's?

I think from what it sounds like that in the current world of smart phones you are not going to find the perfect phone at this time for our needs, you will always have something that isn't perfect. Though I do not know how much you have looked into Android phones and/or a Maemo phone like the Nokia N900. A ton can be done with the Palm Pre, but using and exploring the device hands-on is the only real way you will find out all you need to know (though that may be a waste of money in the end if you are unhappy).
    Blackberry does everything except have a touch screen for its Bolds and Curves. My guess is that will come. Android's keyboards are all landscape, harder to type on and time consuming to rotate, extend keyboard, wait for screen rotation, etc... everything you don't want that you'd use a Treo, Blackberry or Palm Pre/Pixi for.

Web OS is two major steps forward and, what I fear, is a major step back if it removed wired sync capability. I'll have to call up a developer who is really in the know. I'll let you know what I find out.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Palm itself did not make a desktop client to sync multiple things over to your PC. There are thrid party desktop clients though that you can sync with via USB or wifi. True though that there are not many apps in the catalog at this time that have a matching dekstop client, so it is hard to tell how far syncing can be taken I guess. The new PDK may open up more then 3D gaming though and I expect to see more productivity apps, though that is my personal speculation.
    Yah - I have come to this conclusion. Thanks. We'll need to see what Palm's intentions are and will have to ask someone in the know. If Palm made desktop sync easy then this won't be such a problem. Right now, as you've pointed out, gut tells me that every single app will have to be launched individually and synced individually. That really sucks. Will report back if I have an answer.
    Yah - I have come to this conclusion. Thanks. We'll need to see what Palm's intentions are and will have to ask someone in the know. If Palm made desktop sync easy then this won't be such a problem. Right now, as you've pointed out, gut tells me that every single app will have to be launched individually and synced individually. That really sucks. Will report back if I have an answer.
    But... what content do you want to sync specifically?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    The problem is that I'd be porting over a line I have with AT&T. It's not a matter of "new every two." I need to know how this phone works before I sign contracts.

It's not the cloud that bothers me - with Apple, it's the cloud and refusal to provide any USB / wired sync options. It's insane. This is why many people call the iPhone an amazing toy but not good to do business with. And yes, you're right about not knowing and I can accept that. With people here trying to hype the Palm's apps store as if it is a huge library, apparently we still don't have the simplest apps that call for the above yet, just games and some other extras. I may need the help of a developer to tell me what to expect from Palm Apps in the future.

Regarding the Touchstone, I like the idea of dumping my phone on a magnetic device and it charging. $30 is still expensive for the same but doable. The key is, though, whether I can just simply sync docs and the like between my computers, a mind numbing simple task for which there is disk mode but the touchstone can't perform. I ask myself why in the world didn't palm enable a connection from the touchstone to the PC if you're already using the USB?
    You are clearly an exacting user, with an extensive need to use USB. Sadly for you, that's not the way technology is moving. As the cloud and wifi are becoming easier to access, many companies are leaving behind the desktop aspect of their products and leaving it to 3rd party solutions, or they are using wifi to sync. I believe you'll find it increasingly difficult in coming years to continue doing things the way you are now. It will either be very expensive or simply not offered.

Many of us that have moved to wifi sync are thrilled to say goodbye to the usb cord. I use PocketMirror to sync to my desktop (luddite that I am) and it's such a relief not to have to fumble in my briefcase/desk for the cord, plug it in, etc. Or to have to carry it with me every minute of the day. I understand that doesn't work at your office, and I'm sorry for you.

The touchstone was never conceived as a sync mechanism, only a charging one - BECAUSE YOU SYNC WIRELESSLY. Most of us love it. I sync wirelessly while charging with it. And it's so much easier than plugging and unplugging devices all the time.

But I understand we all have our different needs and quirks. If you want to stay USB-centric, then maybe your best bet is patience. Since you loved your BB so much, you might like the one they're working on. But you better hope they don't drop USB sync between now and then!

New (Possibly) Touchscreen BlackBerry Bold Spotted - Touchscreen blackberry - Gizmodo
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    You are clearly an exacting user, with an extensive need to use USB. Sadly for you, that's not the way technology is moving. As the cloud and wifi are becoming easier to access, many companies are leaving behind the desktop aspect of their products and leaving it to 3rd party solutions, or they are using wifi to sync. I believe you'll find it increasingly difficult in coming years to continue doing things the way you are now. It will either be very expensive or simply not offered.
    That doesn't answer the question - why isn't Palm providing a WiFi sync solution? That has NOTHING to do with technology innovations. If it doesn't provide something like activesync, blackberry sync or the old palm sync, every app must sync on its own, at its own time. The bigger problem is that corporations have agreements with reliable companies. Joe Consumer who buys a Palm Pre must rely on whom? What developer is providing these desktop apps or Internet-based applications to enter data?

Second - if all these mobile devices need to sit on some wired connection to charge, frequently being powered by your USB on your PC just like the touchstone does, then you've basically solved nothing by removing the wired sync. It's there anyways every time you put your Palm on your Touchstone.

Many of us that have moved to wifi sync are thrilled to say goodbye to the usb cord. I use PocketMirror to sync to my desktop (luddite that I am) and it's such a relief not to have to fumble in my briefcase/desk for the cord, plug it in, etc. Or to have to carry it with me every minute of the day. I understand that doesn't work at your office, and I'm sorry for you.
    And you and Apple can scream, yell, whine and complain all you want but most offices will NOT allow you to connect your wireless devices via WiFi to your machines. But the same question applies - what is Palm doing to provide a single sync - wired or Wifi - for all your applications? By blabbing about the cloud, Palm expects every app developer to not only create a phone application but run a server farm to back up that application's data? Sorry, but now I understand why the folks like Iambic and numerous others are standing on the sidelines, waiting to see whether the iPhone announcement on Verizon comes soon. There is no reason for any developer to create an app for Web OS if it has to provide wireless backup to its customers. Might as well produce for the iPhone, Android and maybe Blackberry.

The touchstone was never conceived as a sync mechanism, only a charging one - BECAUSE YOU SYNC WIRELESSLY. Most of us love it. I sync wirelessly while charging with it. And it's so much easier than plugging and unplugging devices all the time.
    The Touchstone is commonly plugged in using the USB. Nothing has changed whatsoever. You just don't have to plug in the plug on the bottom and Palm has not allowed the direct to PC connection to be used that already exists.

But I understand we all have our different needs and quirks. If you want to stay USB-centric, then maybe your best bet is patience. Since you loved your BB so much, you might like the one they're working on. But you better hope they don't drop USB sync between now and then!
    New (Possibly) Touchscreen BlackBerry Bold Spotted - Touchscreen blackberry - Gizmodo
    Once again, I'm not concerned about wired sync. I'm concerned about direct sync to your PC, wired or WiFi. You've explained no good solution how to back up and sync the 5, 10 or more apps, such as the common ones listed above, between your phone and your work/home pc. Why can't I have my shopping lists on my PC to type in when I want and appear on my phone too? It's about sync, not cloud backup. Only the iPhone fails. Now Palm?

Regarding the Bold touchscreen... I wish it had standard rectangle res. But even as is, I'd grab it in a minute. At least they have provided one touch sync that allows you (wired or wireless) to sync data between your home and pc. The cloud is yet another ability to back up data and your choice whether you want your data to reside on an unknown Developer's server in Malaysia.
    i think you should keep your blackberry for business, and keep your iPhone for web browsing.

while there are some apps -a few that have been mentioned here- that sync (as in w your computer) a lot of your data (contacts, appointments, etc.), i do not believe that there is a one stop shop for everything to go over a wire, and to your computer, at this time. i have a feeling it might be best for you to just stay with what you've got at present. maybe wait a couple of months for the functionality that you need to be developed before switching. it would probably save a lot of headaches...
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

That doesn't answer the question - why isn't Palm providing a WiFi sync solution? That has NOTHING to do with technology innovations. If it doesn't provide something like activesync, blackberry sync or the old palm sync, every app must sync on its own, at its own time. The bigger problem is that corporations have agreements with reliable companies. Joe Consumer who buys a Palm Pre must rely on whom? What developer is providing these desktop apps or Internet-based applications to enter data?

Second - if all these mobile devices need to sit on some wired connection to charge, frequently being powered by your USB on your PC just like the touchstone does, then you've basically solved nothing by removing the wired sync. It's there anyways every time you put your Palm on your Touchstone.

And you and Apple can scream, yell, whine and complain all you want but most offices will NOT allow you to connect your wireless devices via WiFi to your machines. But the same question applies - what is Palm doing to provide a single sync - wired or Wifi - for all your applications? By blabbing about the cloud, Palm expects every app developer to not only create a phone application but run a server farm to back up that application's data? Sorry, but now I understand why the folks like Iambic and numerous others are standing on the sidelines, waiting to see whether the iPhone announcement on Verizon comes soon. There is no reason for any developer to create an app for Web OS if it has to provide wireless backup to its customers. Might as well produce for the iPhone, Android and maybe Blackberry.

The Touchstone is commonly plugged in using the USB. Nothing has changed whatsoever. You just don't have to plug in the plug on the bottom and Palm has not allowed the direct to PC connection to be used that already exists.

Once again, I'm not concerned about wired sync. I'm concerned about direct sync to your PC, wired or WiFi. You've explained no good solution how to back up and sync the 5, 10 or more apps, such as the common ones listed above, between your phone and your work/home pc. Why can't I have my shopping lists on my PC to type in when I want and appear on my phone too? It's about sync, not cloud backup. Only the iPhone fails. Now Palm?

Regarding the Bold touchscreen... I wish it had standard rectangle res. But even as is, I'd grab it in a minute. At least they have provided one touch sync that allows you (wired or wireless) to sync data between your home and pc. The cloud is yet another ability to back up data and your choice whether you want your data to reside on an unknown Developer's server in Malaysia.
    The reason that they're not developing it is that demand for it is going away. You have to face the fact that you are voicing a need for a tiny tiny tiny minority. You use lots of apps that require constant syncing, they must do so via usb, and you don't want to store anything on the cloud. Your reasons may all be well-founded, but you represent a subset of a subset of a subset. That's why Iambic and others are on the sideline. there aren't enough people who want what you want - and are willing to pay something for it.
    Is this guy for real or a troll? He just keeps repeating the exact same thing and people have answered it already many times but he ignores it then twists his question to say the same thing just in a different way.

If you don't like how the Pre works and it doesnt work how you like then dont get one.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    Is this guy for real or a troll? He just keeps repeating the exact same thing and people have answered it already many times but he ignores it then twists his question to say the same thing just in a different way.
    Is this guy an ***** or did he just fail the reading comprehension portion of his exams and then announces it to the world? Dude, I'm right here, no need for third person. Like many adolescents, you're fond of using the word "troll" when you don't understand things. IGNORE THE THREAD if you can't follow the conversation.

If you don't like how the Pre works and it doesnt work how you like then dont get one.
    The answer was NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE HOW THE PRE WORKS CONCERNING THE QUESTION I ASKED.

It took a while for people to understand because the Pre is new and so is the app store. Some things many of us have taken for granted might not work as we hoped. Like many, I found that out on the iPhone. Apparently there aren't enough apps and no developers here to answer the question of what the API looks like and whether Palm has enabled developers to provide sync between your phone and your netbook and desktop. For MANY people, it's needed. They don't just use their phone.

Now if you don't like this thread, DON'T read it and be a troll!
    It took a while for people to understand because the Pre is new and so is the app store. Some things many of us have taken for granted might not work as we hoped. Like many, I found that out on the iPhone. Apparently there aren't enough apps and no developers here to answer the question of what the API looks like and whether Palm has enabled developers to provide sync between your phone and your netbook and desktop. For MANY people, it's needed. They don't just use their phone.

Now if you don't like this thread, DON'T read it and be a troll!
    if you have questions for the developers you could try the developers forum on here. maybe even go to the forums for ones who develop productivity apps and ask them about the APIs and the sorts of things that may be in the works. just a thought.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    The reason that they're not developing it is that demand for it is going away. You have to face the fact that you are voicing a need for a tiny tiny tiny minority. You use lots of apps that require constant syncing, they must do so via usb, and you don't want to store anything on the cloud. Your reasons may all be well-founded, but you represent a subset of a subset of a subset. That's why Iambic and others are on the sideline. there aren't enough people who want what you want - and are willing to pay something for it.
    Don't kid yourself. Iambic is developing for the iPhone, it's WiFi based and it's selling well. Several other developers have put the Pre / Web OS on hold because all of you are a blip on the radar. It has nothing to do with me, USB sync, or anything else.

Regarding "the cloud", I find that most people have no clue what that means. It's like the big vapor where stuff happens and people don't know what or how. There are ways for also syncing your desktop and netbooks to the cloud too. But Palm isn't providing a solution and hence I have been asking and we don't seem to have solid answers yet.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    if you have questions for the developers you could try the developers forum on here. maybe even go to the forums for ones who develop productivity apps and ask them about the APIs and the sorts of things that may be in the works. just a thought.
    Yah - thanks. No need to prolong this. That's really the answer. They can probably give better insight as to how Palm plans to have our desktop / netbooks sync with our phones. Without it, it's quite inefficient for me and many people. I think it's a legitimate question and can't imagine that people are no longer buying PCs or netbooks and only owning a Pre.

Well, being a linux device, you don't even need a bunch of apps and whatnot to do things for you. Just shell in, tar up what you are interested in archiving, and then bring that down to your computer via /media/internal or the smarter way, using rsync over ssh.

This solves all of your problems, no?

Contacts and such exist on the phone, and sync via "the cloud" (hate that term). You always have access to them, whether from phone or computer. For everything else, just use the linux OS, ask someone to write an app, or write one yourself.

Open phone. Open OS. Figuring out how to do this stuff is really not that hard on this device. It's just that we don't really need the 'one way' bound method of doing anything with our device as iphone users are forced into. Sorry.

I know you iphone folks aren't used to that culture, but that is what WebOS is. I don't need "an app for that". The base OS enables me to do it on my own, how *I* want to do it, through standard systems management techniques that I am already well-versed in. No programming necessary.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast