Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Hello lady Pre and Pre + owners!

I have a quick question for you ladies out there, or really any other owner who wants to participate...

I am new to Pre, and am upgrading to the Pre Plus next week. I finally had a chance to check one out in store and I am impressed, being a current Blackberry addict myself.

The question is..

Do you type more with your fingertip or your fingernail? I noticed in the review video that it was mentioned as a faster way to type. I also found myself testing the keyboard and wondering which is faster. I keep my nails fairly short, but found that I gravitated to wanting to type with the nail tips instead, which is counterintuitive to what I was used to doing with my curve, as I use fingertips instead.

Since this falls into a pro/con area of getting the upgrade, what are your thoughts and preferences, PreNation? It's not a make or break, I've already decided to give it a shot, but I am more curious if my new typing skills on the Pre, with those tiny, tiny keys (and I once thought the Curve had small keys!) will need to be adaptable.

Thoughts, comments? Any other "Prebies" who came from the Berry world with their own personal stories of adaptation? Keep 'em coming!
    ~eve shepherd
    finger nail for sure... keys are too close together even for normal sized thumbs and what not
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    finger nails...before I got my pre plus I thought that typing on the pre would be hard but on my first day of typing I had no problems at all. The only problem I have isn't anything to do with the keyboard it's the fricking battery life...it's ok cus the pre rocks
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input, it's helpful for me to get geared up for a change. It's always a frightening prospect of learning a new way to manage a phone.

With so many features, we consider them our lifelines in many ways, especially since typing is such an essential feature. With anything, there will always be an initial learning curve. I can't wait to tackle it!
    i kindas use both. havent figured out whiich is beteer yet.
    I also use both...haven't figured out what my pattern is or why sometimes thumbtips & sometimes thumbnails...I know the keyboard is small, but I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you get used to it. I can fly on it and make very few errors, especially compared to the VKB on my previous phone.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Personally, I use my fingertips and never my nails. (And yes, I'm female.) I too like to keep my nails short, so I don't have the issues that some women have with long nails. If you do have long nails, I can't see how you would even be able to use your fingertips without accidentally pressing other keys, but I don't like the way it feels to press the keys with my fingernails -- the keys are a little gummy, if that makes sense? Like they're gel-filled or something. I suppose if you have acrylic nails you probably wouldn't feel the same sensation I get, and other people probably just aren't bothered by it, but I don't like it.

I think I'm a bit of an odd duck because I use my left thumb and my right forefinger to type. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else type like this. Basically, since I'm holding the phone in my left hand, I mostly type with my right forefinger, which is very fast and pretty accurate, and only use my left thumb for the letters left of and in the R, F, C column. It's not a hard line -- sometimes my thumb presses the T, G, or V, and sometimes my finger presses the R, F, or C -- but generally speaking, my forefinger does the majority of the typing. You might try it this way sometime and see if you like it. I've tried typing with both thumbs and find it much slower and less accurate. YMMV.
    It's easier to press with your finger nails, BUT if you press with your fingertips you "feel" more of the buttons and keyboard around you. That might sound goofy and useless, but I am at the point where I can type on my keyboard without looking at it, just like on a computer. Some might not find this easy without the "homekey tabs" that are on "F" and "J" on computer keyboards, but I am quick on this board and I don't have many errors.

That being said, finger tips for me!
    Fingertips here. I can type really fast too.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoncjr View Post
    Some might not find this easy without the "homekey tabs" that are on "F" and "J" on computer keyboards, but I am quick on this board and I don't have many errors.
    There's always the little dot on the F key. It's more there to indicate the number 5, but it has the side effect of helping you figure out what key you're on without looking at the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Shadowcat, thanks for the tips. I may try that method when I get the phone in hands. I was like many of you, during my trial with it, typing with a combo of fingertips and fingernails. Since it was only for a short time while in store, I couldn't decide which method to use, I kind of used both.

I do keep my nails very short. Does typing with fingernails over a long period of time make them sensitive in any way? Like the constant pressure? Just curious. Thanks for all the input, different perspectives help greatly!

~eve shepherd
    I started out typing with finger nails, now I type with fingernails on the top row and fingertips on every other row. I came from a blackberry curve and it's not as great as that keyboard but you get used to it. I'm not quite as proficient on the keyboard as some claim to be, but for the occasional e-mail, long text messages and rare forum posts, it gets the job done. More than anything else you'll probably miss the PIM apps, but the multimedia aspects of the phone take it to the next level.
    A little off topic, but let me highly recommend AutoCorrect Edit. I'm not the developer of this app, just a big fan. (The dev also doesn't give me kickbacks, but he should! ) This app lets you make changes, additions, and deletions to the file that handles all of the autocorrections done in text fields, such as e-mail, text messaging, etc. If you're looking for ways to increase your ability to type quickly, ACE is the way to go. It's only installable using WebOS Quick Install for now, but it's well worth it. The demo lets you try it out for five days, and if you like it, the registered version is only $5. Using this app, I'm able to use shortcuts for whole phrases or sentences that I find myself texting most often, like "omwh" becomes "on my way home" or "lmkhig" becomes "let me know how it goes". There's a whole list of suggestions in this thread. You guys should check it out. It's amazing how much you start shortcutting when you're able to do it this easily.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Never really thought about it but I just tried it and I also use my nails.
    I don't usually have much in the way of fingernails (I bite 'em...trying to stop ), so I use my thumbs. I type plenty fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I also use both...haven't figured out what my pattern is or why sometimes thumbtips & sometimes thumbnails...I know the keyboard is small, but I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you get used to it. I can fly on it and make very few errors, especially compared to the VKB on my previous phone.
    Same for me.
    Fingertips and Im pretty damn fast and accurate. I can even type with gloves on.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    Same for me.
    Let me know if you figure out why sometimes one and sometimes the other...I still don't have a clue, for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Let me know if you figure out why sometimes one and sometimes the other...I still don't have a clue, for myself.
    For me, I think it depends upon how rushed I feel. If I have an urgent timeline I tend to use fingers. When there is no pressure I use finger nails. Well, anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    For me, I think it depends upon how rushed I feel. If I have an urgent timeline I tend to use fingers. When there is no pressure I use finger nails. Well, anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast