Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    good thought, but didn't help. I removed my touchstone backplate and still no GPS signal. In addition, when I had the phone running 1.3.5.1, it would grab a signal fine (with the magnetic backplate), only if I had VZ Navigator software running in the background.
    yes i agree - i am seeing minimal improvement if at all and when i had 1.3.5 i had no GPS problems what so ever -- I have never started vz nav on my phone -- have had it hidden with the patch as soon as i found it -- i don't think it is weak signal really -- i think that there is some software issue with how the GPS is woken up whether this is intentional or not it still sucks -- one thing i am becoming more certian of is that a lot of the issues i have seem to surround google maps -- i am not sure if this is due to something with verizon and google or google and palm but i am pretty sure that My personal issues stem from this -- also i believe that around the time that 1.4 came out google maps was updated to 7.XX and i wonder if this might not be some of the problem ???? i dunno hope it gets figured out soon
    Did Verizon even start at version 1.3.5 ? WebOS internals only list 1.3.5.1, which from my initial testing at the Verizon store had the GPS problem as well. I thought of flashing and downgrading to 1.3.5 ROM to see if that would fix the problems but can't find that ROM anywhere.

What's sad is Verizon's own forum only has 2 posts on this issue in this thread with 1221 views. (3rd is mine) Nobody seems to be complaining about this issue. My guess is they either took Verizon's deal for 1 month free VZ Navigator service and haven't realized the problems yet or they are too afraid/lazy to come out and talk about it:
    http://community.vzw.com/t5/Palm-Dev...ue/td-p/166299
    Last edited by cgokcea; 04/09/2010 at 11:15 AM.
    I got my Sprint Pre in the beginning of February and barely used GPS. A couple weeks into ownership I found Trapster, and it seemed like my GPS ran great for a week or two, but then I noticed if it was slightly cloudy, a fix was very hard to get. Now, I can be standing in the middle of nowhere, not a cloud in the sky, and still can't get a fix. Sometimes if I do a full restart, battery pull, or toggle GPS; it will come back for a minute or two, but after that it dies again. I full doctored to 1.3.5 before 1.4 came out. I full doctored to 1.4.1. I have tried many things, but I think I am going to bite the bullet on a refurb tomorrow
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I've had my Verizon Pre Plus for two weeks now. I was very disappointed by the GPS until I read about the VZ Navigator hack. This works very reliably for me if I am outside, or in my car (Google services turned off). If I am inside any building, I usually cannot get a good fix. If I do get a fix, it is off by some large distance (1/2 to 1 mile). The interesting thing is that this "offset" is permanent: If I go outside, the position does not get corrected. If I go for a drive, the blue dot moves through the map (Google) at the right speed, but offset from my actual position.

It's very interesting to me that there is still no official confirmation whether this is a bug or a Verizon "feature"....
    Just purchased the Pre Plus from Verizon a couple days ago. The phone is exactly what I want in terms of functionality and design. I love it, but the GPS so far sucks. Any new info on this? I updated my phone with the latest WebOS and it says my phone is up to date. I was at a baseball game last night and I tried out Google maps in satellite mode: it placed my location in the stands of the baseball stadium, approximately where our seats would be...incredible. Now I'm at work and I tried it out and it has my location several blocks away from I actually am...sucks. Is it just that you have to be outside for the GPS to actually work well? If so, I guess that's ok since I'd only be using it when I'm driving or walking around town.

Thoughts? Tips?

It seems most everyone is having trouble with the GPS. Is there any word on whether Palm plans to do anything about it? I'd hate to have to return the phone for such a "small" detail, but good GPS was one key I was looking for in a phone.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Just purchased the Pre Plus from Verizon a couple days ago. The phone is exactly what I want in terms of functionality and design. I love it, but the GPS so far sucks. Any new info on this? I updated my phone with the latest WebOS and it says my phone is up to date. I was at a baseball game last night and I tried out Google maps in satellite mode: it placed my location in the stands of the baseball stadium, approximately where our seats would be...incredible. Now I'm at work and I tried it out and it has my location several blocks away from I actually am...sucks. Is it just that you have to be outside for the GPS to actually work well? If so, I guess that's ok since I'd only be using it when I'm driving or walking around town.

Thoughts? Tips?

It seems most everyone is having trouble with the GPS. Is there any word on whether Palm plans to do anything about it? I'd hate to have to return the phone for such a "small" detail, but good GPS was one key I was looking for in a phone.
    The GPS relies on a clear view of the sky. If your phone can't receive the signals from the satellites, which are greatly diminished by pretty much anything that gets in the way (including rain), then you might not be able to get a GPS lock. While you're at work if you're near a window you might get a lock, but otherwise you might not.

As far as I know, neither Palm nor Verizon have come clean about the GPS issue and publicly acknowledged it as a bug. If you read through this thread and others like it, you will find that people have had varying success with different methods of "tricking" the Pre Plus GPS into working properly. The methods with which I am familiar are
    • Turning off Google Services
    • Opening VZ Navigator before trying to get a GPS lock
    • Going into the Interactive Tests in the Device Info application and making the phone get a GPS lock
    • Going into the phone application and dialing ##GPS# and then making the GPS try to get a fix

Hopefully Palm will figure this out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I would be very interested to know how my app works on a Verizon Pre. You can get it here:

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Use the email option to email the coordinates to yourself. There will be a Google Maps link. Click the link and see how close it is. Try to do this outside if you can. Send me an email and let me know.
    Well, I am reading this thread for couple days, and decided to do experiment. I have downloaded tonymiller program (Nice GPS suprior). Next I have checked that I have only locate me by GPS. I have turned GPS on and started program. after 3 min it grabbed the cashe ( my previous GPS location whien I did GPS readings for another programm). Then I started VZ navigator and it found me 2 buildings down the street..., after that TonyMiller prgram found me 100-150 yards from my actual location. And I am at home and no clear sky.
    I don't know is it Palm or Verizon, it looks like VZ navigation has the ability to "vake" the GPS chip up..., other programs can not...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    The GPS relies on a clear view of the sky. If your phone can't receive the signals from the satellites, which are greatly diminished by pretty much anything that gets in the way (including rain), then you might not be able to get a GPS lock. While you're at work if you're near a window you might get a lock, but otherwise you might not.

As far as I know, neither Palm nor Verizon have come clean about the GPS issue and publicly acknowledged it as a bug. If you read through this thread and others like it, you will find that people have had varying success with different methods of "tricking" the Pre Plus GPS into working properly. The methods with which I am familiar are
    • Turning off Google Services
    • Opening VZ Navigator before trying to get a GPS lock
    • Going into the Interactive Tests in the Device Info application and making the phone get a GPS lock
    • Going into the phone application and dialing ##GPS# and then making the GPS try to get a fix

Hopefully Palm will figure this out soon.
    Yeah, it's real strange. Sitting in my office by a window and the GPS has me located several city blocks away. If I walk outside, it place me quite literally 20 yards from where I was actually standing.

Another issue though: I was driving this evening and chatting on the phone and decided to turn the maps on to see how it did. It said that Google requires an internet connection and asked if I wanted to turn on WiFi. As soon as I got off the phone though, the maps function worked fine. I tried it again tonight at home and the same thing: wouldn't connect to Google maps while I was on the phone. Is this normal? If so, why? If not, is there a way to fix it? When it wouldn't work tonight, I opened up the web browser (while still on the phone) and I was able to browse around espn.com just fine. Tips?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's real strange. Sitting in my office by a window and the GPS has me located several city blocks away. If I walk outside, it place me quite literally 20 yards from where I was actually standing.

Another issue though: I was driving this evening and chatting on the phone and decided to turn the maps on to see how it did. It said that Google requires an internet connection and asked if I wanted to turn on WiFi. As soon as I got off the phone though, the maps function worked fine. I tried it again tonight at home and the same thing: wouldn't connect to Google maps while I was on the phone. Is this normal? If so, why? If not, is there a way to fix it? When it wouldn't work tonight, I opened up the web browser (while still on the phone) and I was able to browse around espn.com just fine. Tips?
    It's really not strange at all that the GPS lock was inaccurate while you were in your office. The GPS didn't have a clear view of the sky, so the accuracy was poor.

You are correct in saying that Google Maps requires an internet data connection to work properly, since all the of the map data is downloaded from Google. However, due to the limitations of Verizon's (and Sprint's) implementation of the CDMA technology used to allow your phone to communicate with the cell towers, it is impossible to maintain concurrently a voice connection and a data connection (unless that data connection is through Wi-Fi). Thus, if you're talking on the phone, you cannot use Google Maps, browse the internet, or do anything else that requires a data connection, unless you are connected to the internet by Wi-Fi.

turn off the google services -- tap the location services icon -- preferences - find me with -- turn off google services -- then if you have gps lock it will find you and if you don't it won't use agps and put you blocks or miles away
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogger31 View Post
    I was having this same issue. Videogmike's post fixed the issue for me.

##GPS## and click "Get Fix" did the trick.

Google Maps was a little slow in determining my location when I first launched it (took maybe 20 seconds for the blue dot to show up). The 'Where' app was immediate.

Thanks Videogmike!
    OK, the "fix" above does NOT work consistently for me now. Sorry for the confusion.

However, I found a workaround that DOES seem consistent, at this point.

1. Download Trapster from the Palm Catalog.
    2. Launch Google Maps (or other location service app). It will not work properly.
    3. Run Trapster. It consistently (for 2 days anyway) has found my position accurately within a minute.
    4. Go back to Google Maps (might need to close and restart it). It will now properly indicate your location.
    5. You may need to leave Trapster open while Google Maps (or other app) is open.

Hope this helps you until Verizon/Palm fix this ... if they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogger31 View Post
    OK, the "fix" above does NOT work consistently for me now. Sorry for the confusion.

However, I found a workaround that DOES seem consistent, at this point.

1. Download Trapster from the Palm Catalog.
    2. Launch Google Maps (or other location service app). It will not work properly.
    3. Run Trapster. It consistently (for 2 days anyway) has found my position accurately within a minute.
    4. Go back to Google Maps (might need to close and restart it). It will now properly indicate your location.
    5. You may need to leave Trapster open while Google Maps (or other app) is open.

Hope this helps you until Verizon/Palm fix this ... if they do.
    At this point i am inclined to say that this is not a Palm or a verizon problem --other than maybe communication. - I think that programs that access the GPS need to do some solid testing with the 1.4 and 1.4.1 software and make sure that the play right on the pre + -- they need to make sure that their software wakes the gps up and keeps it awake --- and i especially mean Google maps -- but here is the problem with this -- google has android and they also might want yuo to use the google services so that they can track you for the evil empire and might not like it when you turn it off, they could care less about webos. SOooooo i wuold say that there are many programs out there that work much better with then Google maps and while it easy on your phone it is not a good it is not the best gauge of if the GPS is working and accurate -- as may be the case with the fit track ap
    It's possible, but I tend to disagree.

I work with a guy who has a Pre (updated to 1.4.x) who is on the Sprint network. All of our setting are identical and his works flawlessly with all GPS enabled apps, including Google Maps.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems to be isolated to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    It's really not strange at all that the GPS lock was inaccurate while you were in your office. The GPS didn't have a clear view of the sky, so the accuracy was poor.

You are correct in saying that Google Maps requires an internet data connection to work properly, since all the of the map data is downloaded from Google. However, due to the limitations of Verizon's (and Sprint's) implementation of the CDMA technology used to allow your phone to communicate with the cell towers, it is impossible to maintain concurrently a voice connection and a data connection (unless that data connection is through Wi-Fi). Thus, if you're talking on the phone, you cannot use Google Maps, browse the internet, or do anything else that requires a data connection, unless you are connected to the internet by Wi-Fi.
    Yeah, it works very well outside. Used it while walking to work this morning just to see how it did and it was pinpointing my exact position consistently. It's a bit herky jerky when driving, but not too bad.

Is there any word on getting turn-by-turn at some point? Maybe Garmin or some other company will do an app?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1947118

through a random post in the mode switcher thread i was led to this -- i just changed the settings on my phone and i will let you know what the results are.

be warned it is compicated but easy -- especially if you have used QPST before

thanks
    Rob

Add: well first impression is good i just opened up google maps at my deesk inside of a building where i normally get no service at all and i am shown within 1000 feet we'll see when i can step outside what happens -- took about 10 seconds to find lock
    Last edited by mespiff; 04/13/2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Is there any word on getting turn-by-turn at some point? Maybe Garmin or some other company will do an app?
    Hey Garmin, why don't you have Mobile XT for WebOS?

i don't use it so i don't know but isn't vs nav or the sprint navigator tun by turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post

through a random post in the mode switcher thread i was led to this -- i just changed the settings on my phone and i will let you know what the results are.

be warned it is compicated but easy -- especially if you have used QPST before

thanks
    Rob

Add: well first impression is good i just opened up google maps at my deesk inside of a building where i normally get no service at all and i am shown within 1000 feet we'll see when i can step outside what happens -- took about 10 seconds to find lock
    Keep us updated! I remember doing this on my WinMo 6700 and 6800 before and it fixed the GPS. If this does...damn Ill be a happy camper.
    Ok, I've had my Pre Plus about a week now and am happier with the GPS functionality. It still doesn't do GREAT indoors, but when will I ever need GPS inside? Never. When I'm walking around outside, the GPS can usually place me within 15 feet (literally) of where I'm actually standing. I've tried it out in multiple locations in both map and satellite mode and it's just dead on accurate. When driving, it's not quite as accurate, only b/c the GPS has a hard time keeping up with the speed of the vehicle it seems. It's still pretty accurate and never lags far behind. The main problems is that the little blue location dot moves in "chunks" instead of smoothly as it would with a Garmin or some other GPS device. However, it doesn't seem to lag more than 1/2 a block or so behind, which isn't a big deal. The biggest value of GPS to me is getting directions to somewhere from my current location or finding out what's near me. For those purposes, this will work perfectly. It actually seems to have gotten better the longer I've had the phone, but I'm not sure why that might be.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast