Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    LOL

Put that piece of paper for the battery thing, before I jumped into the shower I sent a text and lightly put the phone on my desk. Come back, hit the on button.... nothing. Low and behold it turned off.

This phone is utter trash, just today my brother calls me up telling me how his phone constantly just restarts... Trash, Palm *** happened!?! Ahh looks like I'll have to slum to the Sprint store and listen to some ******** tech tell me I have the latest version of 'THE WEBOS" installed improperly again.

Thanks Palm, thanks for making me have to deal with the horrid tech/sales reps at Sprint stores far more often than I need to.
    I don't know if it's just my phone lately or if I just didn't realize how bad it is at first. Seems like the GPS in the Pre Plus is just getting weaker and weaker. Last week I downloaded YPmobile while away from home to use it for local area searches. It was completely useless. The GPS wouldn't even work in the car. I literally had to put it up in the front middle dashboard where it had a wide open view of the sky to even get a poor signal. When it finally got a signal (after about 30 tries), it had a huge radius around my location. Pretty much useless.

Palm, for the love of us Pre users, Please fix the GPS in the Pre Plus. It's embarrassing to try and showcase apps on the phone when gps just doesn't even work, let alone useless for me when I leave my home area.
    I was having this same issue. Videogmike's post fixed the issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by videogmike View Post
    ...... have you guys also tried the ##gps## in the call screen and hit "get fix"? i did that too i'm not sure if that made it work or if it was a coincidence.
    ##GPS## and click "Get Fix" did the trick.

Google Maps was a little slow in determining my location when I first launched it (took maybe 20 seconds for the blue dot to show up). The 'Where' app was immediate.

Thanks Videogmike!
    in my building Get Fix NEVER works and I work right next to a row of 12 windows
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    in my building Get Fix NEVER works and I work right next to a row of 12 windows
    look i don't know if you have access to a garmin or tomtom or some kind of gps only device -- i do -- i have been frustraed with the GPS on my pre at times as well -- mostly that the chip doesn't wake up for some programs and works particularrily bad with the google maps ap -- it works great with trapster as long as i wait until i am in a good signal area to open trapster.

ok back to my original point --i carried my nuvi around for a couple of days and and checked the GPS signal in area's where the pre would not connect and what i found is that large windows like you describe are made to be refective from the outside - this includes satallite signals i found in a lot of areas where my common sense told me there should be a strong signal there was weak or no signal. I also found that in the middle of the day there could be some solar interference -- signals were most certianly weaker during the day then at night

Rob
    Maybe this is a completely newbie question but don't GPS satellites work independent of carriers like Verizon, Sprint etc ? This site I found says so and it also goes to say that receiving GPS data is free. So really, all the rumors about Verizon blocking GPS is then baseless. No ? If no, can somebody explain how this whole system works ?

GPS satellite - GPS Basics Glossary

Is there a fee for using GPS satellites?

No - There are no fees for using signals from GPS satellites. They are operated by the United States Department of Defense (DOD), which is funded by U.S. taxpayers.

Some companies might charge a fee for using their GPS receivers, but the signals being broadcast by the satellites are available free of charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    Maybe this is a completely newbie question but don't GPS satellites work independent of carriers like Verizon, Sprint etc ? This site I found says so and it also goes to say that receiving GPS data is free. So really, all the rumors about Verizon blocking GPS is then baseless. No ? If no, can somebody explain how this whole system works ?

GPS satellite - GPS Basics Glossary
    No. GPS signals are free. They're just satellites that are swarming above the earth some tens of thousands of feet high, sending signals back down. A GPS receiver (radio inside the Pre) then "listens" to these signals, and based on timing algorithms it receives from each satellite (usually 3 are required as a minimum, so it can triangulate it's position), it calculates your latitude and longitude position. That information is then passed to any application which requests it and from there, you can see visually what's going on.

What Verizon is doing, is disabling the GPS chip from working properly, unless you actually pay for their VZ Navigator app. If you pay, they will somehow (through software) enable the GPS radio (inside the Pre) to work properly.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 04/08/2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    look i don't know if you have access to a garmin or tomtom or some kind of gps only device -- i do -- i have been frustraed with the GPS on my pre at times as well -- mostly that the chip doesn't wake up for some programs and works particularrily bad with the google maps ap -- it works great with trapster as long as i wait until i am in a good signal area to open trapster.

ok back to my original point --i carried my nuvi around for a couple of days and and checked the GPS signal in area's where the pre would not connect and what i found is that large windows like you describe are made to be refective from the outside - this includes satallite signals i found in a lot of areas where my common sense told me there should be a strong signal there was weak or no signal. I also found that in the middle of the day there could be some solar interference -- signals were most certianly weaker during the day then at night

Rob
    There have been numerous times when I was outside, with no overhead obstructions at all, and the ##GPS# did not work (get fix comes back with "Position not Available"). Next time I'm outside, I will take a screenshot because apparently many people really do not believe the majority of Pre Plus users who are legitimately not get any GPS functionality.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 04/08/2010 at 11:44 AM.
    I would be very interested to know how my app works on a Verizon Pre. You can get it here:

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Use the email option to email the coordinates to yourself. There will be a Google Maps link. Click the link and see how close it is. Try to do this outside if you can. Send me an email and let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    What Verizon is doing, is disabling the GPS chip from working properly, unless you actually pay for their VZ Navigator app. If you pay, they will somehow (through software) enable the GPS radio to work properly.
    Then that suggests Palm has a part in this as well since WebOS updates are prepared by them in collaboration with carriers. Why would Palm do that and hurt themselves ?
    Then that suggests Palm has a part in this as well since WebOS updates are prepared by them in collaboration with carriers. Why would Palm do that and hurt themselves ?
    Remember this is code that alot of people know... Verizon could be slightly altering the code also. hence why it take us longer to get

of course that pure speculation

Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post

Rob

Heading outside as I have free time to check... bbiaf

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    While I do not have all the reasons behind this, I do know that phone companies have the power to enable or disable features on phones if they choose. Verizon has a bad history of doing this with not only GPS on other manufacturer's phones, but also with disabling/locking down bluetooth when it first came out (as many will recall). They knew you would no longer need to pay for Verizon's service to transfer items to/from your phone, so they disabled bluetooth to continue bringing in revenue. Enough people complained and they fixed it. If enough people complain to Verizon and Palm, I'm sure the same will happen.
    Ok, I was just outside took pictures of my surroundings and of what was right above me

Posting them in a sec

the app that Tonylmiller wrote did get my position. Although it was 1.2 miles off.

The Get GPS Fix did not work came back with not found or something... I have the screenshots which i will upload also
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Major Payne; 04/08/2010 at 11:34 AM.

can you tell me have you done anything with your google maps ap? -- can you go into google map and hit the clear map button in the menu and close the ap -- maybe even do a restart?

i am beginning to think that the google maps may have some culpability in these issues
    Oh BTW the Tonylmiller app was done from INSIDE my building the same place i was trying the gps fix issue before asked to go outside...

I have done a clear map as you asked and did a restart of the Pre. I'm waiting to have it reboot

ran google maps after the reboot and it put me even further away.. in the other direction

Ok, I was just outside took pictures of my surroundings and of what was right above me

Posting them in a sec

the app that Tonylmiller wrote did get my position. Although it was 1.2 miles off.

The Get GPS Fix did not work came back with not found or something... I have the screenshots which i will upload also
    since you were outside and my app reports a position that is 1.2 miles away, then I would definitely say that something is malfunctioning in the GPS system of the device (hardware or underlying software). On my Sprint phone, it is usually very close. If I am in my yard, it reports my address or the house next door in almost every case.

I guess you already pretty much knew that, but it is just a confirmation.
    If anyone wants me to modify my app for testing purposes, just let me know. I can increase accuracy, but it takes longer to get a fix. However, it should be way closer than 1.2 miles. Sounds like it might just be reporting the closest tower's location or something like that on Verizon. In other words, i'm wondering if it is using the satellites at all.

I do have a version at home that will report GPS while the phone is in airplane mode. I wonder what that would do? And if you are in airplane mode with a wifi connection, it should still get a street address for reference.
    Oh BTW the Tonylmiller app was done from INSIDE my building the same place i was trying the gps fix issue before asked to go outside...

I have done a clear map as you asked and did a restart of the Pre. I'm waiting to have it reboot

ran google maps after the reboot and it put me even further away.. in the other direction
    well thanks for sateing my curiosity -- i hope 1.4.1 fixes all of this crap and we can laugh about it some day -- far into the future
    Hi all. New here and just bought a pre with verizon. I've been reading the forum for a while though to research for the purchase. My own short experience and what I read on here seems like it's just a poor GPS signal that is the problem. I've read that people on sprint don't have that problem. But my question is, does anyone on here with sprint have an inductive cover for the touchstone? All the pluses come with it but the sprint pres don't. I'm wondering if that is causing the interference and thus the poor GPS signal leading to these issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtloomis View Post
    Hi all. New here and just bought a pre with verizon. I've been reading the forum for a while though to research for the purchase. My own short experience and what I read on here seems like it's just a poor GPS signal that is the problem. I've read that people on sprint don't have that problem. But my question is, does anyone on here with sprint have an inductive cover for the touchstone? All the pluses come with it but the sprint pres don't. I'm wondering if that is causing the interference and thus the poor GPS signal leading to these issues?
    wow nice incite. good first post -- i had never thought about that-- til now -- it makes sense i wonder if this is a problem -- i am taking my cover off right now to test

thanks
    Rob
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast