Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 332
  1. #101  
    I find that when i have a poor location fix in google maps - i just need to launch VZ navigator and then decline the service and close it. Google maps then nails my position.
  2. Gunnole's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #102  
    My GPS worked well for the first time today. I had done most of the tips in this thread to no avail.

    What I did was - disabled Google Services, reset the phone, and then ran the interactive GPS test while outdoors. Then Google Maps got my location accurate to a few feet. Seems to be working reliably for now.
  3. #103  
    It's a gloomy, over cast day here in southern indiana and I find myself in my living room listening to the dulcet tones of Palm Support's hold music. This is day 4 of my Pre Plus ownership saga, and day three of my journey to GPS Nirvana.
    Day one started with a quick call to VZW when I discovered that Google Maps would not lock onto my exact location. The Verizon rep had me restart the phone and made sure I was setup for GPS in Location Services. When these steps didn't allow for a GPS lock she recommended I call Palm support.
    My call to Palm was answered quickly, and the rep had me restart the phone again and run the GPS test in the interactive tests menu. I did get a lock, and found myself totally happy with my new phone.
    The next day I tried to pull up Google Maps and found that it immediately gave an A-GPS location to within 3,000 meters, but would never get a true GPS fix.
    I promptly called Palm Support and provided them with my incident number from the previous day. The Level 1 support rep transferred me to the Level 2 support queue. Level 2 ran me through the same base troubleshooting as the Level 1 rep (power cycling phone and running interactive test) to no avail. During this call, I was outside on a beautiful, clear day with an unobstructed view of the sky. After having me try the test a few more times, the rep had me perform a partial erase (Erase Apps & Data in the reset options menu) then restore a backup. After this 20 minute process, I was still unable to get a GPS fix. We turned off Google Services and GPS then only turned on GPS and got the same results. She then advised me to install and run WebOS Doctor to totally clear my phone. Other than being a long and annoying process, this yeilded nothing. I ended my call and started to feel the same pangs of GPS withdrawal I felt after purchasing my Omnia.
    I thought about the way VZW locked down the GPS on the Omnia and the long months I had to wait for the leak of the new ROM that unleashed the full power of that device. My wife's Pixi Plus gets fixes quicker than I thought possible from a cold start, so I don't think VZW really did anything to my Pre... Maybe.
    Today I decided to call again to at the very least report the issue is continuing and see if there were any other options. This time I got level 3 (ooos and ahhhs abound) support. Same attempts to test and restart, and same failures. Then, while on hold, a miracle!! My GPS locked on and was dead on accurate.
    So here I sit, inside on a cloudy day, far away from windows, with a good GPS lock. They told me the next option was to replace my device and that their engineers are aware of the problem. I can "rest assured that the issue will be resolved in a future software update" I asked how much sense it really made to replace my device if the replacement would suffer from the same issue. Considering Palm's stock performance of late I would think that they would want to save money wherever they can. If their "engineers" are "working on the issue" then it is a series-wide device issue. They did try to place the blame on VZW stating that they might have given priority to VZNav. I countered by asking why my wife's Pixi didn't suffer from the same issue. *Dead Air...
    "Well you can rest assured..."
    "Bye"
    What is going on folks. This is a big issue for me. I spend a lot of money on these devices and demand that they work appropriately. I will be calling VZW tomorrow morning and requesting a refund for a portion of my purchase price. I recommend that you all do the same.
  4. b8b
    b8b is offline
    b8b's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #104  
    I just sold my pre plus, this was one of the major issues, and the darn keyboard being so hard to type on with the repeats and no auto-complete. Had the extended Seidio battery and everything (though it shouldn't have needed this). By Palm, I'm selling your stock too.
  5. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by BamDastard View Post
    It's a gloomy, over cast day here in southern indiana and I find myself in my living room listening to the dulcet tones of Palm Support's hold music. This is day 4 of my Pre Plus ownership saga, and day three of my journey to GPS Nirvana.
    Day one started with a quick call to VZW when I discovered that Google Maps would not lock onto my exact location. The Verizon rep had me restart the phone and made sure I was setup for GPS in Location Services. When these steps didn't allow for a GPS lock she recommended I call Palm support.
    My call to Palm was answered quickly, and the rep had me restart the phone again and run the GPS test in the interactive tests menu. I did get a lock, and found myself totally happy with my new phone.
    The next day I tried to pull up Google Maps and found that it immediately gave an A-GPS location to within 3,000 meters, but would never get a true GPS fix.
    I promptly called Palm Support and provided them with my incident number from the previous day. The Level 1 support rep transferred me to the Level 2 support queue. Level 2 ran me through the same base troubleshooting as the Level 1 rep (power cycling phone and running interactive test) to no avail. During this call, I was outside on a beautiful, clear day with an unobstructed view of the sky. After having me try the test a few more times, the rep had me perform a partial erase (Erase Apps & Data in the reset options menu) then restore a backup. After this 20 minute process, I was still unable to get a GPS fix. We turned off Google Services and GPS then only turned on GPS and got the same results. She then advised me to install and run WebOS Doctor to totally clear my phone. Other than being a long and annoying process, this yeilded nothing. I ended my call and started to feel the same pangs of GPS withdrawal I felt after purchasing my Omnia.
    I thought about the way VZW locked down the GPS on the Omnia and the long months I had to wait for the leak of the new ROM that unleashed the full power of that device. My wife's Pixi Plus gets fixes quicker than I thought possible from a cold start, so I don't think VZW really did anything to my Pre... Maybe.
    Today I decided to call again to at the very least report the issue is continuing and see if there were any other options. This time I got level 3 (ooos and ahhhs abound) support. Same attempts to test and restart, and same failures. Then, while on hold, a miracle!! My GPS locked on and was dead on accurate.
    So here I sit, inside on a cloudy day, far away from windows, with a good GPS lock. They told me the next option was to replace my device and that their engineers are aware of the problem. I can "rest assured that the issue will be resolved in a future software update" I asked how much sense it really made to replace my device if the replacement would suffer from the same issue. Considering Palm's stock performance of late I would think that they would want to save money wherever they can. If their "engineers" are "working on the issue" then it is a series-wide device issue. They did try to place the blame on VZW stating that they might have given priority to VZNav. I countered by asking why my wife's Pixi didn't suffer from the same issue. *Dead Air...
    "Well you can rest assured..."
    "Bye"
    What is going on folks. This is a big issue for me. I spend a lot of money on these devices and demand that they work appropriately. I will be calling VZW tomorrow morning and requesting a refund for a portion of my purchase price. I recommend that you all do the same.
    I agree that the device should work properly. Until it does, just open VZ Nav and leave it running in the background before starting Google Maps or whatever you need a GPS lock for and you shouldn't have any problems. Yes, it's stupid that we need this workaround, but it does work.
  6. #106  
    So the weirdest thing happened. I was outside waiting for someone and turned on Minimap (a map program that I never use). It keep saying it was downloading the map...taking a while so I opened google maps, for no real reason and boom, instant lock, and it was dead on. When I open VZ navigator and wifi it was never this close. I didnt have a chance to retry it but I will tomorrow, someone else out there might want to give it a try...see if it works for someone else.
  7. #107  
    The other day, while in a vehicle, I decided to pull out my phone and try the gps. It actually grabbed my location (but only after 3-5 minutes of waiting). It even started to follow me on the road. (I loaded it up because there was a ton of traffic and I wanted to know where the traffic was and how bad and far ahead it stretched.) Afterwards, I made it to my destination and after using my phone for other items, I decided to try it again on my way back. This time, I waited at least as long as before but it only put me on the exact location where I made the gps query. So even though I was moving down a highway, it did not move with me this time. I then closed the app and re-opened it and this time, it just didn't grab a signal at all. I let it sit for 15 minutes but nada. I then decided to reboot my phone and when I did that, google maps was working again and it was actually following me on the road. So apparently, there's either a memory leak or bug that's causing the gps to hang after a while.

    Oddly enough, I noticed two strange things. The first was that the gps was spot on when I was driving. It was fairly accurate on the highway, but when I took an off-ramp, it all of a sudden slowed down and was tracking me about 10 seconds behind where I actually was. What was even more odd, was that it actually followed the trail I took, so it wasn't like the system wasn't receiving the change in gps signal, it just wasn't able to keep up with turns? Anyway, the other strange thing I noticed was that the phone got fairly hot when I had the nav running. The back, especially.

    I will say that although the nav sort of works outside, it will absolutely not work indoors, even in the least. I know many people say that's common with gps, however, I've had many Sprint Pre users show me their gps working inside buildings and it was dead accurate.
  8. #108  
    Opening VZNav and carding it makes no difference in my ability to get a GPS lock. I think any results from this practice may be coincidental.
  9. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by BamDastard View Post
    Opening VZNav and carding it makes no difference in my ability to get a GPS lock. I think any results from this practice may be coincidental.
    Interesting. I don't think the VZ Nav fix is coincidental, however, because it is highly repeatable for some, myself included.
  10. #110  
    I've had 3 situations-
    -Launching verizon navigator has no effect (seems to be more, lately)
    -Launching verizon navigator has a 1 time effect, google maps location jumps to correct place, but then a short time later is off, and leaving verizon navigation open has no further positive effect
    -when I was in the palm springs area this weekend mainly highway driving (vs my home city of San Diego), GPS/google maps worked great without needing to access VZ navigator.

    So verizon navigator is no panacea for me...
  11. #111  
    Likewise, sometimes VZ Navigator works in getting a good fix, sometimes not.

    Regardless, it's a joke that we have to resort to something like this to even get modest GPS reception.

    LISTEN UP PALM Get your **** together, not having accurate GPS in any big city is a big no-no for any smart phone and I have no doubts that this thread has turned off some potential buyers.

    I am crossing my fingers that this will get fixed in the next update but then again, it wasn't fixed in 1.4
  12. #112  
    Don't know, my Sprint Nav works excellent, might be something with the Verizon network.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Don't know, my Sprint Nav works excellent, might be something with the Verizon network.
    My friend has a Pre on Sprint and he has no issues. The GPS issue is limited to the Pre Plus from what I've been able to find.

    If you're implying that the carrier's wireless network might be causing the problems, that is a non-starter. GPS signals are picked up by an independent chip and are transmitted from satellites. It doesn't matter who your carrier is, the GPS signal your device uses comes from the same source.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Interesting. I don't think the VZ Nav fix is coincidental, however, because it is highly repeatable for some, myself included.
    The reason I'm saying coincidental is because I am getting a similar ratio of lock to no lock both when attempting to start the VZNav service and when not using it. Others are reporting no change when attempting to launch the Nav service as well. If that were the direct cause of the problem, you would never be able to get a fix without starting VZNav first.
    I think the issue may lie in the data collection service. It has been determined that it sends GPS coordinates, along with app usage data.
  15. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by BamDastard View Post
    My friend has a Pre on Sprint and he has no issues. The GPS issue is limited to the Pre Plus from what I've been able to find.

    If you're implying that the carrier's wireless network might be causing the problems, that is a non-starter. GPS signals are picked up by an independent chip and are transmitted from satellites. It doesn't matter who your carrier is, the GPS signal your device uses comes from the same source.
    What about the fact that the Pre defaults to A-GPS for it's initial lock?
  16. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by BamDastard View Post
    The reason I'm saying coincidental is because I am getting a similar ratio of lock to no lock both when attempting to start the VZNav service and when not using it. Others are reporting no change when attempting to launch the Nav service as well. If that were the direct cause of the problem, you would never be able to get a fix without starting VZNav first.
    I think the issue may lie in the data collection service. It has been determined that it sends GPS coordinates, along with app usage data.
    OK, I see your point. It seems I just misunderstood your terminology.

    It seems like Palm would do well from a PRPRPR $standpoint$ $to$ $officially$ $acknowledge$ $this$ $problem$, $at$ $least$ $within$ $the$ $scope$ $of$ $this$ $forum$.
  17. #117  
    I don't think it is really using A-GPS. A-GPS downloads the satellite cloud information using a data connection, allowing a device to better pinpoint you based on a number of factors. The large blue circle we are getting in Google Maps might just be cell-tower triangulation. I was able to get that same level of "accuracy" with my Omnia before Verizon unlocked the GPS chip.
  18. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by BamDastard View Post
    I don't think it is really using A-GPS. A-GPS downloads the satellite cloud information using a data connection, allowing a device to better pinpoint you based on a number of factors. The large blue circle we are getting in Google Maps might just be cell-tower triangulation. I was able to get that same level of "accuracy" with my Omnia before Verizon unlocked the GPS chip.
    Hmm, interesting. There was a thread a while back about using a computer program to gain firmware-level access to the GPS chip in a Sprint Pre, and apparently if you do that you can manually switch it between three different modes of satellite acquisition. That's where I seem to remember a discussion about the Pre using A-GPS because people were concerned that they wouldn't be able to get a satellite lock when away from a good cell signal. Of course, with the current lack of standalone mapping programs I'm not sure what good that GPS lock would do anyone anyway.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by b8b View Post
    I just sold my pre plus, this was one of the major issues, and the darn keyboard being so hard to type on with the repeats and no auto-complete. Had the extended Seidio battery and everything (though it shouldn't have needed this). By Palm, I'm selling your stock too.
    These 2 issues are keeping me on the sidelines, repeating keys and GPS accuracy. Come on Palm, fix these problems so I can order my Pre+
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  20. #120  
    I was also having GPS accuracy issues (off by miles) and following some of the suggestions in this thread helped a lot. In particular: In location services, only turn GPS on; do ##477# to wake up GPS; then Google maps put me within 20-30' or so of correct location. Have not tested this a lot yet.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions