Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
  1. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I not only opened VZNavigator but bought the service just to see if that would help. No go. Very frustrating coming from Droid and good accuracy, I use this every day. I love the phone other than that and no native gmail client.

I like this phone, just a few things I miss: wish it had a glass face, a nice gmail client (or just could thread messages like gmail does), editable autocorrect, handling mp3 and .wav attachments (doesn't let me see my youmail .mp3 or .wav email attachments! weird.), GPS more accurate, search history on the google maps, and accept calendar invites (hello? super basic functionality here, this is such a rookie mistake not to have, lame). If it had these things, it would be my phone of choice. Probably some way to do some of these things (I've seen the preware youmail client available).

iPhone jailbroken still rules in my book, unfortunately, even after trying the Droid for over a month. Too bad the ATT network sux.
    I also came from the droid and winmo were had had free good turn by turn so I put the sprint navigation software on and it locked almost instantly. Then after about a day it stopped working so I did the vz nav trick but leaving the card open. it would work perfect navigation and all but right when I closed the vz nav card it switches back to agps and will not navigate anymore. I hope Verizon isn't pulling the same crap they did with my omnia but atleast I know the pre is capable of getting quick true gps lock I really hope this gets fixed!
    Following this thread closely; I'll be getting a Pre Plus shortly, and will immediately try to enable the full range of GPS features, then report. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I got gps to work great on my pre plus. Originally all I could get was agps to work by turning on Google Services. I tried turning off Google Services and GPS and restarting and just turning GPS back on. After that I had to do ##477# until the GPS got a fix. After that it worked great. Google maps located me to the exact parking spot I was parked in. It loses the signal very easily though if it doesn't have a wide open sky.
    One element of the problem seems to be that sometimes the device needs to be "nudged" even to try to locate itself. What will nudge it is unpredictable.

Last night I was driving, and it insisted on saying my position remained fixed at an old (inaccurate) position near home. ##477#, the semi-starting Naviagator trick, opening and closing apps, and various other methods did nothing. Then I started up the "Speed" speedometer app and, after a fairly brief acqusition period, the Speed app correctly reported my speed, and Google maps correctly showed (and updated in real time) my position with very good accuracy. When I went through a tunnel my position froze at the entrance, then immediately jumped to my position when I exited.

A few hours later, when I drove home, the Speed app just sat there trying to acquire a signal and failing to do so. Google maps showed by position fixed at the place I had just left. Nothing would nudge the GPS to reacquire a signal, including restarting Speed, ##477#, etc. until I tried the semi-start Navigator trick, which worked. It updated my position all the way home, and showed it accurately to within a few feet, no longer going for either of the two inaccurate "home" locations it was switching to earlier.

One note: when you get the data from ##477#:
    - when it's working properly, it shows lat and lon (and other data) to a ridiculous number of decimal places;
    - when it mis-reports positions (apparently based on some sort of tower-location method) it reports them only to a few places (which never change, even slightly).
  6. ncl
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    The wifi on trick seems to be working most reliably for me.
    Hey Everybody, I have been following this thread for a while and closely following GPS accuracy / quality since the Palm Pre on Sprint was released. I have strenuously tested both the Pre Plus on Verizon and the Pre for Sprint. What I have noticed is that the most accurate results are achieved by using only GPS. GPS is quite complex, however, it is well defined, thoroughly tested and when it works, it just works, providing the hardware is not malfunctioning and you have clear visibility of at least 3 satellites. Of course this is not always possible so you could expect some inaccuracies, but not to the extent being reported, and witnessed by so many, myself as well. I also have an application in the Palm App Catalog which uses GPS called Where Im At Now, so I have a real need for GPS to be functioning and as accurate as possible since my reputation is at stake. I have received great reviews and feedback, except some people have reported an issue with accuracy which is not due to the application but due to the data being received by the application. In developing Where Im At Now I ensured that the location reported was the most accurate result possible based on parameters out of the Palm SDK documentation. When I received feedback stating the app was dead on, and a small amount stating it was a little off, I started digging deeper for a solution. I initially suspected that the hardware was at fault in some devices, however, after playing with as many different parameters and test scenarios as I could think of, I believe I have came across the one configuration that appears to work the best, most often. And so far for me it has been dead on just as you would expect it should be. I mean the little blue flashing dot in Google Maps is just where it should be and moving with a proper speed and accuracy. The first thing, most obvious to me was of course, if the application is in card view then it is de-activated, even though the hardware is still receiving GPS information the application is probably not, so it is reasonable to expect that the application, (Google Maps), would need a little while to catch up and a slight delay can be seen when the app is activated again. This would be expected behavior for any application using GPS. I know from my experience working with the NMEA protocol, various GPS modules, devices and locations, that it could generally take 10-12 minutes to download new GPS data from a sufficiently unknown location. So I am proposing a solution and some test scenarios and hope this helps everyone having problems.

First thing to do:
    1) Go to Launcher-> Location Services-> set Auto Locate to 'ON', Then Preferences-> Locate Me Using-> and make sure that only GPS is checked. Anything else I have left off or unchecked, specifically Geotag Photos-> OFF, and Use Google Services-> unchecked.
    2) Now close Location Services and set your phone up in a location with clear visibility of a large portion of the sky and wait. It usually doesn’t take more than 3-5 minutes to lock a GPS fix, but could take up to 12 depending on the visibility and number of satellites available to you.
    3) Now open the Google Maps application and wait. It may or may not initially plot your location accurately, as it appears as though the initial location is from a cached lat and lon. If you wait at most 1 minute you should see Google Maps relocate the blue dot to your exact location.
    4) If you push Google Maps to the card view, essentially de-activating it, wait, and then maximize it again, you may notice it plots you back to the original location if different from your current location, it appears as though it prefers the last cached GPS point and the last cached GPS point appears to be the one reported immediately before the app is closed. You can test this by checking your location, closing Google Maps, then re-opening it. You should see the last location reported prior to closing it as the first location plotted.
    5) The screen dimming also appears to affect the accuracy of your location, in my experience, when you unlock the screen it could take a little while for an accurate fix.

I apologize for the lengthy post, however, it is in all of our best interest to have a clear repeatable test and possible solution so that we can all enjoy the GPS functionality the way it should be. I have also noticed that using Google Maps puts a constant stress on the battery life of the phone due to the constant polling. If you have followed the procedure above and already have Where Im At Now, you know that you can initiate a GPS request with one tap any time you want, and retrieve both the lat and lon, as well as the reverse address lookup from the internet. This saves battery life substantially. You can then send that location to a saved Favorite Contact, or anyone else you choose, with a link to Google Maps and Bing Maps via e-mail, or the lat and lon with a link to Google Maps via IM or TEXT messaging. Please let me know if this helped anyone else out. And if it has, It would be great for you to try out Where Im At Now, and for 99 cents you really can’t go wrong, it can save you a lot of time in sharing your location with someone who wants to know where you are.
    Last edited by rrjr777; 02/02/2010 at 09:08 PM.
    Sounds pretty crazy. I can't believe there are all of these problems already!
    I'm having the same problem with my Verizon Pre. It worked for the first few days, spot on. Now it shows my location approximately 1/2 - 1 mile away. Verizon, Palm or Google better get this fixed or I'll be switching to Sprint as soon as my contracts up.
    I've been trying to test this over and over again (Pre Plus - Verizon) because I really don't think this is a hardware issue anymore. I think it may have something to do with the signals being weak or something to that regard.

The one thing I did notice was that in order for Google Maps to be much more accurate in it's positioning, you should have the "Auto Locate" set to on (this is found in "Location Services"). When this is off, Google Maps does not seem to work well and when it does, it is off by even larger proportions.

With Auto Locate on, I noticed that you must be outside with plenty of skies open around you. If you are indoors, this will not work very well. I know many of you are probably saying to your self, "well, duh", however my first experience with a Palm Pre was indoors with a friend's Palm pre from Sprint. It was incredibly accurate, even while using it indoors (down to 1-2 foot accuracy) and it grabbed the signal (in what appeared to be) instantaneously.

Returning to the Pre Plus (Verizon) while standing outside with google maps open, it took about 1-2 minutes to get a fix on my position and put me about 10-20 feet off from my exact location. Personally, I don't think it's all that terrible, but when I see other Palm Pre phones working perfectly, it makes me wonder.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Is there any word on a fix for this? It is extremely consistent, and I have multiple calls into palm and vzw and the store about this, and it seems across the board for pre plus/vzw. maybe it's the vznav and it not being fully tested, and could we possibly remove vznav from the device completely with a hack possibly?

I'm wondering if 1.4 was already firmed up prior to people complaining, so i'd be surprised if it resolves the issue.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I had to do webos doctor on my pre plus because of tinkering a little too much. but after that, as long as i have wifi on, along with gps and google services on. i can get a spot on fix. it is still a little slow but it works. but wifi has to be on, if it isnt it goes a mile off target again.
    Wifi on. Wifi on. Wifi on.

This solved it for me -- nothing else helped. (Google Services has to be ON for me, otherwise Google Maps can't find me at all.)

But will it work when I am out of range of a wifi signal??
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    mine works whether or not i am near a wifi signal. for some reason, the setting must just be on.
    Had the Verizon Pre Plus for a couple weeks now and the GPS worked fine out of the store. But after one or another plane flight and reboot, I was having the same problem: Google location services only, no GPS. Having played with it a bit, I seem to consistently get it working by starting the VZnav, flicking it away, dialing ##gps#, clicking "get fix", wait for fix, then start Google maps.

But even after all that trouble, the antennae must not be very good. I've got a Blackberry Curve and an HTC Hero here on the same couch and only the Pre Plus is "jumping" all over the map.

It really is an unacceptable problem. I was barely tolerating the battery bad battery life, but having to jump through all these hoops for a not-very-good GPS is pretty much a deal breaker...

Back to drawing board for finding a new smart phone :'-(
    After reading the other message thread about how to enable the GPS services on the Pre Plus (apparently the Plus version is disabled by default in the software) and then coming across the below comment on the Palm forum, I'm now convinced Verizon is up to their own no-good shenanigans again, that is, crippling phones:

I just got off the phone with Palm support. They said that verizon wanted to push their vz navigator service which is why it works and the google maps dosen't. .
    just an update on my front. like many I have the TERRIBLE GPS which is, it seems, now a software issue for certain. I went to Best Buy and exchanged my launch day pre plus to test the GPS issue and, sure enough, I am having the exact same issue with poor location lock ons.

I am hoping and praying that Palm/Verizon can resolve this as it is extremely embarrassing to have such a powerful phone with its laughably bad GPS. Here's hoping 1.4 will fix this error
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    So far the VZV navigator trick worked for me. Locked in about 2 seconds! Really odd. We'll see how this plays out.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Here's a new bit of data for everone with the GPS problems. Mine was working very poorly, only getting me within a half mile at best of my true location. I tried the VZ Nav trck, and I noticed that when I opened Google maps I would get the correct location for about 5 seconds and then it would go back to showing the wrong location with a huge error circle (huge as in 1+ mile diameter). I tried it a couple more times wiith the same result until VZ Nav claimed I had airplane mode on and refused to start. So then I tried the other trick. I went into Locaton Services > Preferences and turned off Google Services. Upon firing up Google Maps my exact location was shown within 10 seconds. For the heck of it I tried turning Google Services back on, and this time I was still able to get a perfect lock. Then I tried turning background data collection back on, and it still worked! For the final test I left everything on and did a full restart. A bowl of cereal later, my Pre came back on and Google Maps still got my locatiion right on.

That's all well and good, but I have a nagging suspicion that through all those settings changes my phone was really just using cached data every time and not actually reacquiring a satellite fix. I can't test that because I'm not in a position to go walking around outsiide right now. But I can say that the little blue dot was moving around slightly and the error circle was constantly growing and shrinking (only visible at full zoom due to high accuracy), so the fix did at least appear to be dynamic.

Maybe can do a driving test tomorrow while I'm taking my current Pre Plus to be replaced for it's keyboard issues!
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Here's a new bit of data for everone with the GPS problems. Mine was working very poorly, only getting me within a half mile at best of my true location. I tried the VZ Nav trck, and I noticed that when I opened Google maps I would get the correct location for about 5 seconds and then it would go back to showing the wrong location with a huge error circle (huge as in 1+ mile diameter). I tried it a couple more times wiith the same result until VZ Nav claimed I had airplane mode on and refused to start. So then I tried the other trick. I went into Locaton Services > Preferences and turned off Google Services. Upon firing up Google Maps my exact location was shown within 10 seconds. For the heck of it I tried turning Google Services back on, and this time I was still able to get a perfect lock. Then I tried turning background data collection back on, and it still worked! For the final test I left everything on and did a full restart. A bowl of cereal later, my Pre came back on and Google Maps still got my locatiion right on.

That's all well and good, but I have a nagging suspicion that through all those settings changes my phone was really just using cached data every time and not actually reacquiring a satellite fix. I can't test that because I'm not in a position to go walking around outsiide right now. But I can say that the little blue dot was moving around slightly and the error circle was constantly growing and shrinking (only visible at full zoom due to high accuracy), so the fix did at least appear to be dynamic.

Maybe can do a driving test tomorrow while I'm taking my current Pre Plus to be replaced for it's keyboard issues!
    Yeah turning off google services works 100% for me.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast