Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Just for reference, I'm on a Sprint Pre, inside a construction trailer and Google Maps gives me an instant lock and location is spot-on of where I am. So there's a high probability that theres some Verizon secret sauce interferring....just my opinion.
    I am on Sprint, and noticed I can use ths sprint navigation and google maps at the same time. I wonder if you can just leave the Verizon nav in the background and then launch google maps...
    Quote Originally Posted by rnash2 View Post
    I am on Sprint, and noticed I can use ths sprint navigation and google maps at the same time. I wonder if you can just leave the Verizon nav in the background and then launch google maps...
    Verizon NAV is a paid option unlike SprintNAV that's included for free. Not everyone is paying for that additional feature, hence the heavy use of google maps by Pre + users.
    I have a Pre Plus and GPS is working pretty good. Upon reading this thread, I immediately tested mine out and it was about 1 mile off from my actual location, which is a business that actually had its name displayed on Google Maps. With the help from a previous post, I shut down all location services to the point where it asked me to turn on GPS. I then rebooted the device and turned on the GPS with auto-locate and Google services. I did not turn on the GPS for Photos or the Anonymous Google Collection info setting. Went back into Google Maps and my location was spot on! I tried it several times and it continues to work with Google Maps. Foursquare still says I am 1.6 miles away from my venue... weird! I will post more if things change.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0sim View Post
    Hey guys, I'm not a regular poster but I'm a HUGE pre lover (and user). I wanted to share my semi-success story with this. And see if I could get other people to test this out.

So I've been having the exact same issue, but I found a workaround... I think.

Anyways, let's cut to the chase - whenever you guys have a chance give this a shot.

1. Open up VZ Navigator
    2. When you get to the screen that explains the 9.99 and asks "Buy/Decline" put the app in card mode and throw it away.
    3. Open up Google Maps, and give it a minute or so. It should lock on!

If I could get some people to test this out, I think we could confirm whether this really is a workaround. Let me know what everyone finds!

PS - As a side note, once I do this I find the VZW GPS to be extremely fast and reliable.
    This actually worked for me. It put me in my swimming pool behind my house but it is accurate within 30 feet and since I am inside my house I will accept that.
    Sweet! Glad it worked for you gtstang. I'm gonna try some of the other stuff people suggeseted, namely turning off Google Services, but for now this has been my goto solution.
    I also have the same GPS issues on the Pre Plus.

I agree with others that is seems at times that the app doesn't 'turn on' the gps.

I downloaded the speed app (as a test since only uses gps and not the triangulation method). Definetly saw cases that it couldn't get data from the gps. Turned off and back on the GPS in location services and then speed app worked after many seconds until it found the sats.

Also I loaded the preware app Quick System Tasks which is great because you can toggle the GPS along with a bunch other stuff right from one spot. Turning it on and off from there also fixes it for a while.

Hopefully there will be a fix in the next firmware release.
    starting VZ Navigator and keeping it open allows Google Maps to work with my GPS, Thanks for the quick fix, I'm starting to remember why I HATE verizon, I will really miss Sprint rates, ah well that the price to pay to stay cutting edge.
    Sorry guys i havent been following this thread so maybe this has been mentioned just read a few of the first pposts...

in your phone app type in the has code "##GPS#" aka "##477#" and hit get fix.. see if that helps. I also remember before with original HTC i had to log into sprint and "allow" different gps services to locate me. I dunno if that is needed for the pre or if verizon has anything like that. but try looking into it
    MatterOfFactJack
    As a long time verizon/bb user, and a tech who sees a lot of my company's phones by big red, I can tell you that the VZ tower and nav system is...wanting??? Or at least slow. I almost never got a solid blue dot in google maps on my bb, and have seen very slow responses on droid, bb, lg, and yes - beloved palm devices.

All that to say - check with the network. VZ is so segmented/hodge-podge/thrown-together via acquisitions that I'm not surprised that the quality of signal is degraded. For all the bad press the fat kid in yellow gets, Sprint's network is pure, and in my locations (Phoenix Metro and Southern California), I've never dropped a call, and I always have 3G.
    Glad to hear it helped Slydog! I found that I don't have to leave it open - once it locks it usually does a pretty good job of staying locked for a while. Does the same seem to hold true for you?
    What happens when you dial ##GPS#?

I am having the same problem as most people here, the GPS is showing me about a half mile north of my location. I'm on a PIXI
    Wow. m0sim's fix (below) actually worked! However, (a) I did have to give Google Maps a minute or so after implementing the fix, before it jumped to the correct location; (b) after rebooting the pre I was back to square one; (c) when I tried the trick again (after the rebooting) I was unable to replicate my earlier success. NONETHELESS, the fact remains that the first time I tried the fix it worked, giving me the first correct reading I'd ever had on this phone (and after everything else suggested on this forum had failed), so I feel that
    m0sim is definitely onto something. If the Verizon people are paying attention, they should be able to put this clue to diagnostic use.

Hey guys, I'm not a regular poster but I'm a HUGE pre lover (and user). I wanted to share my semi-success story with this. And see if I could get other people to test this out.

So I've been having the exact same issue, but I found a workaround... I think.

Anyways, let's cut to the chase - whenever you guys have a chance give this a shot.

1. Open up VZ Navigator
    2. When you get to the screen that explains the 9.99 and asks "Buy/Decline" put the app in card mode and throw it away.
    3. Open up Google Maps, and give it a minute or so. It should lock on!

If I could get some people to test this out, I think we could confirm whether this really is a workaround. Let me know what everyone finds!

PS - As a side note, once I do this I find the VZW GPS to be extremely fast and reliable.
    Last edited by rwrighter; 01/29/2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarity
  14. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    whenever you guys have a chance give this a shot.

Didn't do anything for me.
    About 10 this am my emails on my primary gmail account came to a crawl as well. My other 2 email accounts from google are working fine as well as my exchange account.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I activated vz navigator and then dialed ##gps# and clicked on get fix. GPS has worked fine for me since. I have both use gps and use google location services active also. It takes about 15 - 30 seconds for it to lock on to my location in google maps.
  17. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
    b8b: Is your friend's Pre on vzn or sprint? I wonder if this is some sort of mod vzn put into the software? FWIW, mine is still working now with Google Location Services off.
    We both got our Pre Plus at the same time from verizon worthless.
  18. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
    I am having the same issues with mine. I haven't had time to contact Verizon about it yet though. I am also having issues trying to send picture messages. I can receive them just fine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by skohcl View Post
    Yeah I can't send pic messages either, ***?! And my GPS is working then not working...
    Same neighbor who's GPS worked great couldn't send MMS, but I could. Today he took back his Pre+ and got another one, GPS sux likes mine but now he can send MMS. I can send MMS after my third replacement.

The Pre hardware is such a cheap piece of junk IMO (all plastic, scratches way too easily, no glass screen, flakey hardware and support), but WebOS is so beautiful. I have had every iPhone, the Droid, Storm II and I like this the best (except if they get iPhone to Verizon worthless, then I will switch to that and jailbreak it so it can function the way it should).
    Hey guys, glad to hear you guys are having some success. I have also had a little bit of intermittent problems, but it's about as close to "consistent" of a fix that I can find. I'm not sure what the problem is, but based on everything I've been mucking around with the notion that the GPS goes to "sleep" seems to be spot on.

Let's hope this gets fixed soon so I don't accidentally buy 10 dollars worth of weak vz nav service!
    the vzw nav fix worked for me. Definitely took a few minutes to kick in but the blue dot is about 10 feet from my actual location. Thanks for the fix.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast