Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
    I uninstalled the patch a couple days. I just couldn't really find much more benefit after a couple days of running it. Disappointment
    interestingly, i'm running quick system task s app and it has a dashboard that allows various toggles, those buttons stay lit when the radio (wifi, gps, cell data) is on. the gps will randomly turn off. Then it takes a couple apps to get the gps going. I takes opening a couple apps to wake the gps up. This is a common problem in threads, but interesting that you can watch it all happen with QST app. The new google auto on patch does seem to allow g-maps to wake the gps and switch from cell tower tri to gps.
    The GPS Trip Panel is the only 3rd party app that I have found to reliably wake up a slumbering GPS radio on my VZW Palm Pre, aside from VZnavigator. Once GPS radio is awake, google maps, tripster, etc etc all work flawlessly.

Nowadays I just leave location services "on", for both GPS and aGPS. If I don't first activate GPS Trip Panel, then my google maps will give me the big bubble of uncertainty and my location can be off by a few blocks, probably using the aGPS. If I first open GPS Trip Panel, google maps can locate me to the parking space. Absolutely no issues. No rebooting, battery yanking, toggling on-off required.

I don't think it is a VZW plot or anything like that. I now think it is just that most 3rd apps don't know how to wake up the GPS radio.
    trip panel works just like the rest for me...spotty and slow, but spot-on when the chipset is on....
    I had an issue of google maps locating me no problem, but any other gps app, ##477## and the gps interactive test wouldnt work or couldnt get a fix. I downloaded the homebrew patch and installed with with the OS webtools according to the instructions and now it seems to be working. It has only been a day, so I hope it continues to work. I was also able to tweak the phone with some cool setting and themes with the web tools.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I just downloaded Geocaching for webOS, for my Verizon Palm Pre Plus.. and wow, it found my location to within 10 ft. Guess it woke up the GPS chip.

I've tried it several times today, in different geographic locations in the city, and it seems to be working. I'll let you know if it continues to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
    I just downloaded Geocaching for webOS, for my Verizon Palm Pre Plus.. and wow, it found my location to within 10 ft. Guess it woke up the GPS chip.

I've tried it several times today, in different geographic locations in the city, and it seems to be working. I'll let you know if it continues to work.
    That may be true, though it kind of sucks that other aps (Google Maps, Where's My Car?, and GPSDashboard) can't find a lock without opening VZN. Even if GeoC works, it's still the frustration of having to open one app just to get the one you want to work.
    I have been known to hold the opinion that I don't want to use my phone for driving directions, and I don't want to pay $10/month when I can get a great gps from Garmin or TomTom for less than the cost of VZ Navigator over a 2 year contract...

...but, I decided I should take advantage of the 30 day intro and TRY the VZ navigator. What a steaming pile that is. Is it the same functionality as Sprint Nav and AT&T Nav?

Sure, it basically got got me to my destination. But that's about it. It is missing stuff that was standard on the $50 TomTom-One my kid uses.

And while I was sitting in a Radio Shack parking lot, I decided to have VZ Nav to see if there were other RS stores in the area or on my way home. It said that the closest was 12 miles away. It had no knowledge of the store I was parked in front of... which has been there for years. Which Yelp, Yellow pages, etc all found instantly. There were several other stores I know of that VZ Navigator didn't find in the search...

It doesn't even have a help system so there is no way to find any features I would expect to find on a real GPS.

Of course I want the GPS radio to work, of course google maps and other LBS need to work on my Pre, do don't mis-understand what I'm saying.

I'm just saying that the VZ Nav application is a steaming pile, and I don't think I would use it even if it was free. I wonder if the majority of people that pay for it have never used a Garmin or something like that. I paid less than $200 for my 765t with free lifetime traffic. I can't imagine paying $240 over the life of my phone contract for VZ Nav. I was absolutely amazed at how lacking it is in features and usefulness...
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    That may be true, though it kind of sucks that other aps (Google Maps, Where's My Car?, and GPSDashboard) can't find a lock without opening VZN. Even if GeoC works, it's still the frustration of having to open one app just to get the one you want to work.
    Agreed.. it should just work, like the phone was designed to do.
    I had similar GPS problem (pin surrounded by a large blue bubble on Google map), but after installing Ebag333's Enable Verizon aGPS patch a week ago, Google map now works as it should, pinpointing me to almost exact location. And the blue bubble is gone, too!
    I have had my phone since April and Google maps worked find, very accurate. Then a few weeks ago i went to use it and it was totally F'd up. I have tried all the "quick fixes" but all it has done is move the dot from too far west to too far east.

So the question is... what changed between april and now?
    If you all haven't seen it, you might want to try out the GPS Fix app that's come out. Still not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.
    I had a problem with my GPS showing me 80 miles north of where I actually was. It always showed me in the exact same spot, even after a restart. Google Maps would figure out where I was after a minute, but when I restarted Google Maps, again it went to the same wrong spot initially. It messed up my weather apps that used GPS as well. After a lot of frustration, I figured out what the problem was: our Verizon Network Extender had the wrong GPS location. When I unplugged it, the GPS on my phone started working again. I plugged the extender back in, it got a new GPS location, and all is well again.

Since the network extender connects via the internet, it has to have a GPS location so that Verizon can connect you to the correct 911 center. Other than tracing your IP address, you could be anywhere in the world for all they know. I would bet money that if I called 911, it would connect me to the 911 call center in the town 80 miles north of me.

From what I understand, any Verizon phone will default to a network extender in range, even if it is not yours. If you hear two quick tones when you start a call, you're connected to one.
    What about us without a network extender???
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    What about us without a network extender???
    Beats Me!!! Just throwing that out there as a possible fix since it fixed my GPS problem.
    Well, over a year and a half into this and they finally sent me a Pre 2 to see if that will work. They claimed I was getting a new Palm Pre 2, but sent a refurbished. I'm going to use this, prove it works as a GPS device and have them replace the other one on my account, also. They didn't want to send 2 to see if it worked for me, which is understandable. However, this is still very unacceptable as they are still trying to get me to just switch phone manufacturers.

I think the only reason I got this done is the fact that Verizon had already sent me 4 replacement Pre Plus' in an attempt to prove it was the hardware with no luck as every Palm Pre (before the Pre 2) works this same way without VZ Nav purchased. After this last new Pre Plus they sent me, I called back to tell them "same problem" and I humored them with troubleshooting like nobody had ever reported this problem. I ended up at HP Palm tier 3 support with a helpful guy named "Chuck". They know of the issue! And when I mentioned how much slander Verizon was giving Palm through this process, he decided to stay on the line with me as we called Verizon back. In the middle of the Verizon rep blaiming Palm and trying to get me to switch phone manufacturers, he finally interupted and explained to her what he just witnessed. From then on Verizon was trying to get me a phone with GPS that works. All while never admitting the GPS doesn't work on the Pre Plus and never offering me a Pre Plus as one that "worked".

Bottom line, there is a huge case of slander from Verizon on Palm. I wonder how many folks new to Palm figured these devices are crap due to Verizon's responce to this issue. I know many of those folks switched right on over to droid and will never see WebOS again. There is a blatent case of false advertising on Verizon's part in selling this phone as a "standalone GPS" phone. They have a clause that we must seek mediation prior to courts. No lawyer will take these cases, however and there is no way to "mediate" with Verizon. I just tried and they are not interested. However, I have a clear case of paying for services I was never rendered over the last 1.5 years. And if Verizon doesn't make good with me soon for all my time lost on trying to make their blockage of service work, than small claims court is where I am headed. I doubt they want to pay a lawyer to show up over paying me off... we will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisecTed View Post
    Well, over a year and a half into this and they finally sent me a Pre 2 to see if that will work. They claimed I was getting a new Palm Pre 2, but sent a refurbished. I'm going to use this, prove it works as a GPS device and have them replace the other one on my account, also. They didn't want to send 2 to see if it worked for me, which is understandable. However, this is still very unacceptable as they are still trying to get me to just switch phone manufacturers.

I think the only reason I got this done is the fact that Verizon had already sent me 4 replacement Pre Plus' in an attempt to prove it was the hardware with no luck as every Palm Pre (before the Pre 2) works this same way without VZ Nav purchased. After this last new Pre Plus they sent me, I called back to tell them "same problem" and I humored them with troubleshooting like nobody had ever reported this problem. I ended up at HP Palm tier 3 support with a helpful guy named "Chuck". They know of the issue! And when I mentioned how much slander Verizon was giving Palm through this process, he decided to stay on the line with me as we called Verizon back. In the middle of the Verizon rep blaiming Palm and trying to get me to switch phone manufacturers, he finally interupted and explained to her what he just witnessed. From then on Verizon was trying to get me a phone with GPS that works. All while never admitting the GPS doesn't work on the Pre Plus and never offering me a Pre Plus as one that "worked".

Bottom line, there is a huge case of slander from Verizon on Palm. I wonder how many folks new to Palm figured these devices are crap due to Verizon's responce to this issue. I know many of those folks switched right on over to droid and will never see WebOS again. There is a blatent case of false advertising on Verizon's part in selling this phone as a "standalone GPS" phone. They have a clause that we must seek mediation prior to courts. No lawyer will take these cases, however and there is no way to "mediate" with Verizon. I just tried and they are not interested. However, I have a clear case of paying for services I was never rendered over the last 1.5 years. And if Verizon doesn't make good with me soon for all my time lost on trying to make their blockage of service work, than small claims court is where I am headed. I doubt they want to pay a lawyer to show up over paying me off... we will see.
    Thanks for stirring the pot on behalf of all Pre & Pixi users. I'll be very interested to see your Pre 2 results. BTW, I've had "marginal" success with enabling Google location services. My GPS at least gets me in the right 5 mile radius and after far too long...maybe 10 minutes or so i get a lock without VZ Navigator, presumably through the use of the Engable Verizon aGPS Server patch. Not what I purchased...so thats why i'm so happy you are on the case for us.
    With a refurbished Pre 2 in hand and GPS finally working (it didn't work the first 12 hours out of the box for some reason), this is the email I just get from Verizon completely contradicting what was being told to me on the phone by the tech on the phone.

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to learn that you are having difficulty with using GPS with your Palm Pre 2. We are happy to address your concern.

We greatly value your business and understand your concern and dissatisfaction regarding this matter. We understand that you have made an investment in Verizon Wireless and addressing your concern is our number one priority. We apologize for the delayed response to your email and for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are experiencing higher than normal email volumes at this time. However, we are working diligently to reply to each customers email in a timely manner and we appreciate your patience.

The Palm Pre 2 supports GPS Enabled / E911, however, Open GPS in not enabled. Open GPS functionality has not been enabled so that we are able to provide a standardized level of functionality and support for our advanced devices. We are unable to state if or when additional GPS functionality will be enabled on the Palm Pre 2 as no information has been provided. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met.

Additionally, for your convenience, we have listed some of our devices below that have Open GPS enabled:

1. BlackBerry 9650 (Bold)

2. BlackBerry 9630 (Tour)

3. BlackBerry 9550 (Storm2)

It has been a pleasure assisting you today. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Neil

Verizon Wireless

Data Technical Support
    This also seems to completely contradict the original sale of the phone as being "standalone GPS"...
    That's old news. Verizon has changed all their literature to make it look like they didn't offer the Pre as a "standalone GPS" phone.
    None the less, I plan on swapping my other Pre Plus for the Pre 2 so at least I have two newer phones in hand with only 5 months left of the 2 year contract. But I still don't have the GPS phone I was after when upgrading from the Treo on a much better network that didn't waste near as much of my time.

I am still going to follow up with Verizon to see if mediation can occur and if not, I will have to do something in small claims. I will keep you guys posted, but as of now the status is: Verizon is still dodging and reporting not knowing about the GPS issue, but are admitting it at least takes a Pre 2 to get me working. HP (much bigger legal team than Palm) is aware of the issue and at least with my my experience, witnessed and recorded Verizon's ways of handling this issue and is willing to help it's customers. It's a different feel than dealing with Palm that was being sold and merged last year. HP was a lot less passive about taking the blame for this or allowing Verizon to claim it was their hardware/software when it works on all other networks.