Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I typically have auto-locate off, google services off, and trapster is just as erratic as every other GPS app. Sometimes it will get a location, sometimes it won't. One consistent pattern is that if you keep trying eventually some program will work, and then every GPS program will work fine for a while.
    i agree but i am not saying that having any ap open on the phone - in my case - effects the others all i am saying is that of all the aps i use trapster seems to be the best at opening the GPS antenna -- i do not open it and leave it open --it causes my phone to run a little hot and drains the battery -- but mode switcher still changes based on GPS triggers - where is my pre reports properly (since 1.4.1.1) if i use the dashboard it works well GOOGLE MAPS DOES NOT --- so i was offering an alternative to test the gps antenna -- that is all -- it is free and easy to install
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I just put installed trapster, did a full shutdown w/battery removed and I got a lock within a minute. Only vznavi gets me locked that fast.

what a PITA....
    I've had good luck with GPS if i keep Wi-Fi on, something that broke in 1.4.0 and now apparently works again in 1.4.1.1, go figure
    Interesting. Usually I cannot get any apps that require gps to work unless I have Verizon's Nav open. Trapster is the first app to actually get a gps signal - even inside my home! Who is the developer for this and would they be interested in sharing how they wake the GPS radio up? Perhaps this developer uses a different method than all others are using.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    Interesting. Usually I cannot get any apps that require gps to work unless I have Verizon's Nav open. Trapster is the first app to actually get a gps signal - even inside my home! Who is the developer for this and would they be interested in sharing how they wake the GPS radio up? Perhaps this developer uses a different method than all others are using.
    trapster.com - Speed Trap Sharing System
    some one affilated with this website
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    anyone else notice the phone getting really warm, almost hot, when the gps is actually working?
    This is how I managed to get my gps working, without using vz nav at all. Well, somehow...at least for me.

Settings: Auto locate OFF, locate me via gps ONLY. Auto locate off.

I haven't done all the possibilities, but this is what i did. I do have the long version of this on paper listing all what i did in somewhat of a methodical fashion, but i think this is what worked.

1. Place your gps settings like above.

2. Power cycle your phone.

3. Upon startup, the FIRST thing you do is ##477#.

if that doesn't find a lock, then start from step one and...

4. While that is searching, goto DEVICE INFO > then preferences > tests > interactive tests > global positioning services.

5. hopefully it now works...

After doing this my phone seems to get a real gps lock quite often. I just tried this like 30 minutes ago, and it all seems to work regardless of if the screen goes in to lock or not. But anyway, I hope it works for you guys too.
    this gps issue is a real PITA. It can take 10-15minutes to get a good lock.....with any program besides vznavi. Ugh!!!
  10. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    After work yesterday, I went to my car (wide-open parking lot, clear skies) and attempted to get a GPS lock with no success on any program (##477#, Trapster, Google Maps, Send my Location, NiceGPS Superior, etc.) after 10 minutes. I restarted my phone (just a power cycle, no battery pull), and had a GPS lock within a minute. I never opened VZnav, either. GPS continued to work perfectly, locating me within a few feet, the rest of the evening. Google Maps tracked me perfectly, Nice GPS returned my actual location and speed, etc. I forgot to check it again this morning, but I will try again this afternoon and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0sim View Post
    Anyways, let's cut to the chase - whenever you guys have a chance give this a shot.

1. Open up VZ Navigator
    2. When you get to the screen that explains the 9.99 and asks "Buy/Decline" put the app in card mode and throw it away.
    3. Open up Google Maps, and give it a minute or so. It should lock on!
    I've only had my phone a bit over a week, one of the first things I tried to use was the GPS, and initially it had me about 2 miles away in the middle of the bay. With a little help from google I found this forum and the m0sim solution that seems to work for me everytime. Thank you m0sim!

If google maps is not autolocating me I start VZ Navigator and wait for the "Buy/Decline" screen & toss the card away. Back to G maps and within a minute or two it's located me within a 30 feet or so. Checked with the zoomed in sat view around my house - walking up and down my street and along a trail in back it kept very a very accurate position on me.

I've tested it on the road and around my house several times now. I do notice that everytime the screen shuts off it takes a minute or so to reaquire and relocate me.

I read a piece somewhere else that the webOS upgrade fixes the GPS problem, but it didn't seem to for me.

BTW - The VZ Pre Plus is new to me, and I am loving it. It's my first smartphone as well. I was thinking about heading to the iphone. Having a third gen ipod touch I kind of knew what to expect, but I have no regrets chosing the Pre. In fact I think the ipod touch will be going up on ebay. I do wish the Pre had support for WMA audio, but that's far from a deal breaker for me.

I still plan on sending a letter to both Verizon and Palm regarding the GPS issue the more users they hear form the more likely there will be to get a permanent fix (no pun intended).

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    After work yesterday, I went to my car (wide-open parking lot, clear skies) and attempted to get a GPS lock with no success on any program (##477#, Trapster, Google Maps, Send my Location, NiceGPS Superior, etc.) after 10 minutes. I restarted my phone (just a power cycle, no battery pull), and had a GPS lock within a minute. I never opened VZnav, either. GPS continued to work perfectly, locating me within a few feet, the rest of the evening. Google Maps tracked me perfectly, Nice GPS returned my actual location and speed, etc. I forgot to check it again this morning, but I will try again this afternoon and report back.
    have you thought about installing a GPS toggle of some kind either in the launcher or on the device menu -- sometimes a toggle on / off of the gps works and you don't have to reboot the phone
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by instech19 View Post
    This is how I managed to get my gps working, without using vz nav at all. Well, somehow...at least for me.

Settings: Auto locate OFF, locate me via gps ONLY. Auto locate off.

I haven't done all the possibilities, but this is what i did. I do have the long version of this on paper listing all what i did in somewhat of a methodical fashion, but i think this is what worked.

1. Place your gps settings like above.

2. Power cycle your phone.

3. Upon startup, the FIRST thing you do is ##477#.

if that doesn't find a lock, then start from step one and...

4. While that is searching, goto DEVICE INFO > then preferences > tests > interactive tests > global positioning services.

5. hopefully it now works...

After doing this my phone seems to get a real gps lock quite often. I just tried this like 30 minutes ago, and it all seems to work regardless of if the screen goes in to lock or not. But anyway, I hope it works for you guys too.
    Interesting, this actually worked on getting a gps signal, although the accuracy was quite off (about 200 feet). Recently I tried using trapster and that actually got a gps lock while every other gps app I had did not. something else to try....
    Anyone in this thread try out the new homebrew fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Yes, it's amazing...
    glaring VZW oversight > vast VZW conspiracy....they just didn't fix it/care.... An "oops, did I do that" moment...

can't wait to try it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yes, it's amazing...
    I'm a complete n00b to the QuickInstall...does it void your warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    glaring VZW oversight > vast VZW conspiracy....they just didn't fix it/care.... An "oops, did I do that" moment...
    Absolutely not. Verizon knew that they'd be crippling the GPS by doing what they did. This was not an "oops, did I do that" moment, this was a "how can we make more money from our customers?" moment.

This is not the first time Verizon has locked down GPS to ensure they had a larger profit margin, and I don't think it'll be the last.

I'm a complete n00b to the QuickInstall...does it void your warranty?
    It does not alter anything physically on the device, so no, it should not. It's not really any different than using Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Absolutely not. Verizon knew that they'd be crippling the GPS by doing what they did. This was not an "oops, did I do that" moment, this was a "how can we make more money from our customers?" moment.

This is not the first time Verizon has locked down GPS to ensure they had a larger profit margin, and I don't think it'll be the last.
    I'd like to know how the Android phones do their thing without AGPS. Or do they take forever to get a lock too?

This is a really shady thing for Verizon to do - especially when they are selling the location services and GPS on all of their phones. Do the location services do the same excrement on other phones?

Or are they only messing with Palm devices?
    For me it made it worse - Now I'm getting loated up to 2.5 miles aways as opposed to 1/2 to 1 mile away! I don't think this a problem with this patch but with either my P3 or Verizon's tinkering with the firmware.

I also ran the patch that will allow apps to turn on/off the GPS as they need to - that one is working well!