Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    I'm still not getting a lock on anything post the 1.4.1.1 update. I've tried google maps, YPmobile, ##GPS#. Nothing works.
    I should add that I was able to do the ##GPS# fix for the first time under 1.4.1.1. I tried it twice yesterday (on 1.4.0) and couldn't get it to work--even standing outside.
    Go here and voice your concerns. The more people who complain, the higher up this gets escalated.

Palm Pre Plus GPS issue - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community
    I have to say...running GPSDashboard with Google Services turned off that everything seems to be peachy for me. Kind of nice
    Sporadic it seems!
    When I had 1.4 starting up VZ Navigator did not help at all. Whereas it did for many others
    But now with 1.4.1 it seems to be the Ticket! (Well a work around and not a fix!0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chull View Post
    Sporadic it seems!
    When I had 1.4 starting up VZ Navigator did not help at all. Whereas it did for many others
    But now with 1.4.1 it seems to be the Ticket! (Well a work around and not a fix!0
    you know, something just clicked for me (I'll have to post this in the other threads also to check my sanity).

Didn't 1.4 sort of break the background process when a card was minimized? This makes sense. In 1.4 when you load the VZ Navigator and minimize it to open google maps, it probably didn't finish grabbing a gps signal and didn't run in the background very well. in 1.4.1.1, background processing was fixed, allowing VZ Nav to run in the background, collecting GPS data and other apps grab the current gps info. hmmm.....
    I have to say it's a bit more random for me now. This afternoon, it wouldn't lock in Google Maps, YP Mobile or ##477# until I started and exited VZNav. Then it got a lock pretty quickly.

Tonight, it wouldn't lock for 10 minutes.

Bizzaro land.

Clearly, 1.4.1.1 had nothing to address the GPS issues.
    Yes, I agree. If anything, my GPS functioning appears even more random and spotty, if it works at all, since the 1.4.1.1 update. The Trapster trick always worked consistently for me, but today after the new 1.4.1.1. update, even it didn't work sometimes.

Then what in the world was the reason for all the stinking delay at VZW if they made no effort to fix the GPS issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Yes, I agree. If anything, my GPS functioning appears even more random and spotty, if it works at all, since the 1.4.1.1 update. The Trapster trick always worked consistently for me, but today after the new 1.4.1.1. update, even it didn't work sometimes.

Then what in the world was the reason for all the stinking delay at VZW if they made no effort to fix the GPS issue.
    read my thread all verizon pre plus users only. you will be ****ed.
    OK, Big test concluded.

Powered off, pulled battery for 30 sec or so, put battery in, powered up.
    Turned GPS radio on.
    Sat outside, full view of sky.

Opened Google Maps. Tried to get location by hitting the dot every 30 sec for three minutes. No fix.

Opened ##477# GPS test. Hit "Get GPS Fix".

After 30 seconds of nothing, started Trapster. Trapster stayed at the splash screen.

After another 60 seconds, ##GPS# failed. Hit "Get Fix" button again, started VZ Nav.

Within 15 seconds, Google Maps, ##477#, Trapster all came up and had a fix.

Declined VZ Nav, went for a walk to the corner store (about a 5 minute walk.)

By the time I got to the store, all three had stopped tracking me (Google and Trapster were following happily till then, and 477 was reporting a velocity and changing coords).

All replied with various errors, the most sensible of which was "com.palm.location not running."

Hypothesis: Whatever is supposed to start com.palm.location is only triggered by VZ Nav startup. Whether there's a daemon watching for attempts to access the port, or what, I don't yet know. But the only thing that reliably starts the GPS to working is opening the VZ Nav, whether you subscribe or not, whether you use it or not.
    when powering up the gps radio from shut down it can take a few minutes for the gps chipset to obtain multiple satellite signals, that time can be hampered by trees, clouds etc.

my vzw pre+ does great with auto-locate turned off and locate me by gps only.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    when powering up the gps radio from shut down it can take a few minutes for the gps chipset to obtain multiple satellite signals, that time can be hampered by trees, clouds etc.

my vzw pre+ does great with auto-locate turned off and locate me by gps only.
    Mine too, but the session only question is annoying for programs like weathernow and google and all other GPS

I really want to get geotasks but if i have to either say yes to locate each time it wants to locate or have vz nav in the forground all the time, I'd rather not.

With auto locate on if I keep vz nav in front and press the cross hairs while I am moving (in car, haven't tried on foot like poster above) then it keeps a great fix on me.
    But I want to be able to use Weathernow and Geotasks as they are with out having to either always approve or keep vznav open. Vzw said this was fixed but I say it is not

What defines a "session"
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    OK, Big test concluded.

Turned GPS radio on.

Opened Google Maps. Tried to get location by hitting the dot every 30 sec for three minutes. No fix.

After 30 seconds of nothing, started Trapster. Trapster stayed at the splash screen.

After another 60 seconds, ##GPS# failed. Hit "Get Fix" button again, started VZ Nav.

By the time I got to the store, all three had stopped tracking me (Google and Trapster were following happily till then, and 477 was reporting a velocity and changing coords).

All replied with various errors, the most sensible of which was "com.palm.location not running."

Hypothesis: Whatever is supposed to start com.palm.location is only triggered by VZ Nav startup. Whether there's a daemon watching for attempts to access the port, or what, I don't yet know. But the only thing that reliably starts the GPS to working is opening the VZ Nav, whether you subscribe or not, whether you use it or not.
    I have this EXACT problem. Everything fails for GPS until I open VZ Nav. Once I open it, everything works. If I close it, GPS will no longer update and I only get my last location when I closed out of VZ Nav. Once I close everything and let it sit for a while, I get no GPS signal at all. Even ##GPS# fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    OK, Big test concluded.

Turned GPS radio on.

i have a hypothesis. I have never opened vznav as my gps has always worked acceptably. i never expected it to work indoors and i have the find me via google services on as when i am in my house or at work i like to open accuweather to see what the day will bring and when i get in my car to drive with trapster the GPS is very accurate. So here is my thought -- what if activating VZ nav or opening it for any reason initially causes it to interact with the GPS chip in a detrimental fashion? what if by opening it at all you have given VZnav a relationship with the GPS and this is why you become dependant upon it to open the GPS chip -- what if people who have never tried this have GPS that works fine and people who have used the VZNAV work around have become dependant upon it so that their GPS will function?

just a thought -- i just think it is a weird bug that some GPS (IMHO most GPS) works and some flat out don't -- could be config - software - hardware - software conflit depending on ap installed -- if i were having the problems you are with my GPS i would exchange the phone - i use GPS daily with mode switcher, where is my pre , trapster, Geostrings and never have any issues -- like i have said i keep the AGPS turned on and this keeps it close when i am traped under a roof and the minute i leave into a situation where i have need of an acurate GPS and am under an open sky it works fine
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    How do you even turn on aGPS? I still haven't figured out how to hide VZN.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    How do you even turn on aGPS? I still haven't figured out how to hide VZN.
    in the launcher goto locations services and then open the preferences panel -- then turn on "locate me using google services" this will mean that the phone will use triangulation whenever not in good GPS signal areas and i believe that some aps are more likely to use this and find a hard time to switch to gps -- google maps being one of these

also i do not believe that the "hide Vznav" patch has been updated for 1.4.1.1 because i can now see this icon on my launcher -- i have opened a new page far to the right and titled it "not used" that is where it resides
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    in the launcher goto locations services and then open the preferences panel -- then turn on "locate me using google services" this will mean that the phone will use triangulation whenever not in good GPS signal areas and i believe that some aps are more likely to use this and find a hard time to switch to gps -- google maps being one of these
    OK...I'd turned mine off a couple days ago, but at least now I know what you're talking about . I just got confused because there was nothing explicitly saying "turn on/off aGPS" or something of that nature.

also i do not believe that the "hide Vznav" patch has been updated for 1.4.1.1 because i can now see this icon on my launcher -- i have opened a new page far to the right and titled it "not used" that is where it resides
    So on the older version you'd downloaded a patch for it? From where?
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    So on the older version you'd downloaded a patch for it? From where?
    look either webos qi or preware

http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

http://www.precentral.net/getting-started-preware

be prepared to lose a lot of free time if you start down this road
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Ahhhh...figured. Thanks!

(and thank you for the warning, as well)
    If you try the different accuracy/speed settings in NiceGPSuperior does it make a difference? It does for me, but I'm on Sprint.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Has anyone tried this?:

Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    i've been heavily researching and tweaking around this issue. please advise how you have "location services" setup.
    1- turn off "auto-locate"
    2- click prefs -> then "locate me using" -check GPS (NOT google services)

it's imperative that auto-locate AND locate me using are set as above. VZW Pre+s have a bug that prevents gps apps from choosing between google services and the GPS chipset. i believe that VZnavi has the "fix" for that bug, that's why it properly chooses aGPS (triangulation via cell towers) or actual GPS satellite fix (this can take several minutes if you've either toggled the gps off since it has to reaccuire more than one satelitte signal to get accurate.)