Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    the gps problem started the first day palm pre plus came to verizon. Why it was not yet fixed?. Why when I try to run test the gps signal is not found? Only after I start vznavigator gps get detected in test info . Don't telll me about some s@@@@ in webos not loading up and verizon found software to only fix it for their service. If you believe that then....@explain how exactly the same device works everytime on sprint. . Get your fact straight. How is verizon webos different from sprint? Only difference is in hardware, and some software like sprint tv etc. Controls ffor gps are the same. I just can't believe that after 5 months most people are blaming palm, google and other aps instead of the provider whos pushing vz navigator. Read my post verizon palm pre users for the story with verizon. We should all unite and make verizon unblock gps. I have tied 4 other pre plus at verizon store . They all did same thing. Wake up people!. I'm after having issues with 2 other verizon phones, this is based on fact read my thread it tells you all tests I already did with palm and bymyself.
    are you doing these tests with these phones standing inside of the stores? because GPS by its very nature does not work inside of a building -- you need to be able to recieve information from satilites
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    Since we know the keyboard problem is a software bug, does that mean Verizon is crippling the keyboards too?

So many people so quick to assume malice. If Verizon is so damned evil, then why did you buy their phone in the first place?

keyboard is a either hardware or software issue that's no brainer. But gps is a different story. If all palms would not work then it's palm but read posts almost everyone on verizon is ccomplaining about it .either it's very slow. Weak or iinacurate. But sprints work with some issues just like anyother phone but not as major as verizon . Iguess what I met some people on pre plus who thought that if google maps pinpoint their location then gps works . Don't confuse cell tower "gps" with standalone gps. It's all based on fact that can be easly proved. Just sound like we have verizon emloyees giving false statements. How many pres do I have to try to find the one that works? 10 is the lucky number? Try sprint ...... THE NUMBER IS ONE
    keyboard is a either hardware or software issue that's no brainer. But gps is a different story. If all palms would not work then it's palm but read posts almost everyone on verizon is ccomplaining about it .either it's very slow. Weak or iinacurate. But sprints work with some issues just like anyother phone but not as major as verizon . Iguess what I met some people on pre plus who thought that if google maps pinpoint their location then gps works . Don't confuse cell tower "gps" with standalone gps. It's all based on fact that can be easly proved. Just sound like we have verizon emloyees giving false statements. How many pres do I have to try to find the one that works? 10 is the lucky number? Try sprint ...... THE NUMBER IS ONE
    Explain why VZW with 1.4.0 has keyboard bounce issues, Sprint with 1.4.0 do not (by and large).

There are differences in the underlying setup.

You're gonna make me install bash on my phone and watch the loaded processes and modules, aren't you?

And if you have proof of VZW employees lying about the phone, then you've got actionable information. I suggest you present such to your state's Attorney General. Because they are simply repeating the publicly stated features of the phone from VZW's own literature. If you think that they know it's bullsh, then you have them acting in furtherance of a criminal conspiracy.
    actually sir you sound like a sprint shill but that is beside the point in the area i live in i am stuck with verizon but as i have stated in this thread and all of the other simular threads i have had 2 Pre + phones and both GPS have worked fine - the first with 1.3.5 actually worked better prior to the 1.4 update and i personally feel that the problem stems from a code change to allow the GPS to sleep more and some ap's / functions have an easier time of waking up the GPS chipset. Try trapster - it opens up the GPS better than anything else i have played with -- with the advent of 1.4 many things were changed and not all for the better - a prime example of this was the killing of headless aps if they are open longer then 10 seconds -- this made aps like where is my pre next to useless and with out the 1.4.1 update this is still the case. This is some thing that Verizon needs to step up and release -- but i still do not think that they have intentionally sabotaged the GPS -- as to the keyboard thing -- IMHO this is a hardware issue - first phone double typed / skipped all the time 2nd phone keyboard is perfect -- if it was software i believe that it would affect everyone
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    There is a thread regarding this issue at the official Palm site (search for: GPS temporary workaround fix for Palm Pre Plus) and there are at least two major threads at the Verizon website (search for: Palm Pre Plus GPS issue) and (search for: GPS Problem denied by Verizon tech support).

This is a serious major flaw that Verizon is causing, just trying to get people to buy their $10/month GPS service. Their website info on the phone states "assisted and standalone GPS" so I think this is a false advertising claim unless it states something like "standalone GPS with purchase of VZ Navigator."

My GPS worked great during the one month of free VZ Navigator service I had, but as soon as the month was up and I didn't pay to continue the service, no GPS. My travel & weather apps are all using cell-phone triangulation to locate me, not true GPS.

It's very disappointing and I think, frankly, unethical.
    The keyboard is in fact different on the VZW pre plus vs the Sprint Pre as has been noted in many reviews. The keys are "clickier", have a different color, etc... It has obviously been redesigned... albeit with a *very* serious flaw. Hope 1.4.1.1 fixes it
    Quote Originally Posted by VAkrys09 View Post
    There is a thread regarding this issue at the official Palm site (search for: GPS temporary workaround fix for Palm Pre Plus) and there are at least two major threads at the Verizon website (search for: Palm Pre Plus GPS issue) and (search for: GPS Problem denied by Verizon tech support).

This is a serious major flaw that Verizon is causing, just trying to get people to buy their $10/month GPS service. Their website info on the phone states "assisted and standalone GPS" so I think this is a false advertising claim unless it states something like "standalone GPS with purchase of VZ Navigator."

My GPS worked great during the one month of free VZ Navigator service I had, but as soon as the month was up and I didn't pay to continue the service, no GPS. My travel & weather apps are all using cell-phone triangulation to locate me, not true GPS.

If you have evidence of false advertising, then present it to your state's Attorney General, since it is a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    your GPS does not work 10 feet underground unless it is using AGPS -- period such faulty statements make the rest of you concise and smart sounding post seem suspect
    LOL ok I was just exagerrating in a metaphorical way with that "10 feet" argument. What matters is the other facts I mentioned.
    Since we know the keyboard problem is a software bug, does that mean Verizon is crippling the keyboards too?

So many people so quick to assume malice. If Verizon is so damned evil, then why did you buy their phone in the first place?
    I'm not quick to assume malice. Nowhere did anyone say keyboard is a software bug. I believe it's a hardware bug as it really depends on how soft or hard the actual keyboard is. (One of the phones I had on Verizon had a soft keyboard, other hard, harder one was full of doubles and misses) However keyboard problem can be fixed with a software update, and it appears it will be. They will just slow down the keyboard speed or remove the function that lets you type continuously if you press and hold on a specific key.
    Quote Originally Posted by VAkrys09 View Post

thank you very much my only supprise is that there are only few statements like that. This what i was getting at. Like my previous thread: did all tests outside. Gps test in info tab showed no signal detected, tired trapster, google maps, they only worked by pinpointing my location which sometimes was accurate but most of the time off by a 1.5 mile. when i start driving the point just start jumping all over. apps. after starting vz navigator gps pinpointed me and followed while driving within 10 ft. after an hour of shutting of vz navigator, but still keeping my trapster app on the gps signal was gone.
    for everyone who tells me i dont know what im talking about or get my fact straight... please do tell me logical explanation why it does it. if it would be for the battery saving option in 1.4 update ,,, aplication like trapster or google would activate GPS just like my samsung omnia.....

dont blame it on hardware or other software because so what i have read from threads are walkarounds to fix the problem but then it returned.
    so far all mine tests got me to point that there is a lock on gps and only vz navigator has the key to unlock it. and for anyone who says their gps works the way it suppose to, it supprising since i have tried 4 other pres at verizon stor and they did the same thing... whats the luck number? should i go to verizon and sit on the flooor and keep opening up new pre plus and maybe i get lucky?

please find explanation why sprint pres gps work out of a box (there illl be always some minor issues all phone have them) and verizon with pretty much same software dont.... after 5 months of debate all i read is workaround the issue.

i dont have anyother issues except the gps and battery. I am just tired that this phone have the same issue my samsung omnia had... it got fixed by VERIZON AFTER A YEAR OF USERS COMPLAINED.
    But after all this i think i found solution, just a little upset that i have not done sooner: switch to sprint they might have weaker network, but it all depends where you live. more freedom more choices which are free, time will tell. most likely this will be my last phone on verizon network.
    The Sprint Pre and Verizon Pre Plus are not the same hardware, so the software isn't the same either.

Can someone diff the doctors and see what's different in the startup stuff?
    The Sprint Pre and Verizon Pre Plus are not the same hardware, so the software isn't the same either.

Can someone diff the doctors and see what's different in the startup stuff?
    the only update what was done on pre plus is: more ram 512 more memory 16 gb no trackball on gestures more clicky keyboard. software is the same except: you got only software on sprint like tv and free navigation and other phones offer FREE visual voice mail. all controls for gps and anyonether software provided by palm is the same. Tell me something....... WHY DOES AN UPDATE THAT COMES FROM PALM HAS TO PASS FIRST THROUGH VERIZON TO "APPROVE" IT? WHY WE CANNNOT USE SPRINT 1.4.1 update? web os is SAME ON BOTH NETWORKS the only difference are add ons by sprint and that spacial thing that VERIZON LOVE TO DO TO PUSH VZ NAVIGATOR.

my question is there annyone from developers in homebrew community that can locate the block and run patch on it? im sure superkernel was much harder to develop. please help.
    Tell me something....... WHY DOES AN UPDATE THAT COMES FROM PALM HAS TO PASS FIRST THROUGH VERIZON TO "APPROVE" IT? WHY WE CANNNOT USE SPRINT 1.4.1 update?
    You think Sprint and AT&T don't approve updates first?

web os is SAME ON BOTH NETWORKS the only difference are add ons by sprint and that spacial thing that VERIZON LOVE TO DO TO PUSH VZ NAVIGATOR.
    We don't know that for a fact.
    the only update what was done on pre plus is: more ram 512 more memory 16 gb no trackball on gestures more clicky keyboard. software is the same except: you got only software on sprint like tv and free navigation and other phones offer FREE visual voice mail. all controls for gps and anyonether software provided by palm is the same. Tell me something....... WHY DOES AN UPDATE THAT COMES FROM PALM HAS TO PASS FIRST THROUGH VERIZON TO "APPROVE" IT? WHY WE CANNNOT USE SPRINT 1.4.1 update? web os is SAME ON BOTH NETWORKS the only difference are add ons by sprint and that spacial thing that VERIZON LOVE TO DO TO PUSH VZ NAVIGATOR.

my question is there annyone from developers in homebrew community that can locate the block and run patch on it? im sure superkernel was much harder to develop. please help.
    Just to correct you. Sprint Pre has 256mb ram. So Verizon has "256mb more", not "512 more".

Network operators have to approve Palm's updates to make sure nothing in those updates interfere with stability of their networks and quite possibly with their profits. I'm sure if Palm was to include a tethering app on Sprint, they wouldn't approve that, nor would any of the operators approve a VOIP solution like Skype coming directly from Palm.
    I returned my unit yesterday. I had purchased it on a contract extension on 4/9 but did not want to keep it for another 2 years without the GPS functioning properly.

Google maps and Trapster would both pinpoint me to my current location but my position would not move and stay in the same location as long as I don't press the my location button again.

Checked gps status using ##GPS# and Interactive tests but still not working.
    Tried around with the VZnavigator but still with no success.

The only way Trapster would work would be when google services are disabled, battery taken out for 5 minutes, device rebooted and then gps locked with ##GPS#.

The GPS would even stay activated for hours till the battery drained. But once the screen goes into sleep mode and then the GPS would not come back to life regardless of whatever I did except the above procedure.

Got so frustrated, returned my phone, Verizon Sales Associate was asking me why I was returning, told him that the GPS does not function properly, he said the PALM PRE does not have a GPS, I told him then how does VZNavigator function, he had no answer and I returned the phone.

Will either wait and see the update 1.4.1.1 and decide whether I will purchase another Palm.

Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    Just to correct you. Sprint Pre has 256mb ram. So Verizon has "256mb more", not "512 more".

Network operators have to approve Palm's updates to make sure nothing in those updates interfere with stability of their networks and quite possibly with their profits. I'm sure if Palm was to include a tethering app on Sprint, they wouldn't approve that, nor would any of the operators approve a VOIP solution like Skype coming directly from Palm.
    yes thats what i meant 512 mb total not more. By checking you mean restricting.... apple got full control of their devices on att. by checking updates also mean makin sure gps stays locked just like other devices. is a pre plus your first SMARTPHONE device or is this your first VERIZON NETWORK device? you would be supprised what they can do to push vz navigator. For anyone doubting it find logical explanation why before running vz navigator gps does not work and after it does for about an hour then it goes dead again. verizon is meant to either lie to you or the tech level support is told to keep customers guessing. one device i would say its a bad luck but not 4 and yes i tried them very close to open door in vz store. we need more people to support this and complain to verizon to unlock gps. can we get a pool regarding this issue, its been going on for 5 months. im in pre plus for only 1 week but just seems like same problem my other phone had. just google verizon and gps locking issues. MOST PEOPLE STATING THEIR GPS WORKS I BELIEVE ARE GETTING JUST CELL TOWERS "GPS".

STATE FACT AND REAL SOLUTION NOT: TURN ON VZ NAVIGATOR AT IT WILL WORK. THIS IS NOT SOLUTION. THIS IS COVERING UP THE REAL PROBLEM OF CRIPLED GPS.

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS HP SAID THEY WILL INVEST A LOT OF MONEY IN WEBOS DEVICES AND HOPEFULLY VERIZON WILL NOT BE A EXCLUSIVE PROVIDER BECAUSE THAT WOULD REALLY suck

THAY ARE GREAT FOR STANDARD CELL PHONES. CLARITY CANT BE BEAT SO SO IS THE COVERAGE. BUT THE LIMITATIONS AND EXTRAS ON SMARTPHONES JUST ****ES ME OFF. WHEN I GOT MY PRE PLUS THEY MADE ME SIGN CONTRACT FOR 2 YEARS BEFORE I WAS EVEN ABLE TO GET INTO THE PALM PRE PLUS. IF I WOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE I WOULD NOT SIGN UP WITH VERIZON.

I JUST WANT PHONE THAT WORKS WITHOUT LIMITATIONS FROM PROVIDER , IT SEEMED LIKE THEY HAVE CHANGED

I WAS WRONG. TOO BAD AFTER 8 YEARS. THE TIME HAS COME TO SAY GOODBYE. (AFTER CONTRACT)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxdemo View Post
    I returned my unit yesterday. I had purchased it on a contract extension on 4/9 but did not want to keep it for another 2 years without the GPS functioning properly.

Google maps and Trapster would both pinpoint me to my current location but my position would not move and stay in the same location as long as I don't press the my location button again.

Checked gps status using ##GPS# and Interactive tests but still not working.
    Tried around with the VZnavigator but still with no success.

The only way Trapster would work would be when google services are disabled, battery taken out for 5 minutes, device rebooted and then gps locked with ##GPS#.

The GPS would even stay activated for hours till the battery drained. But once the screen goes into sleep mode and then the GPS would not come back to life regardless of whatever I did except the above procedure.

Got so frustrated, returned my phone, Verizon Sales Associate was asking me why I was returning, told him that the GPS does not function properly, he said the PALM PRE does not have a GPS, I told him then how does VZNavigator function, he had no answer and I returned the phone.

Will either wait and see the update 1.4.1.1 and decide whether I will purchase another Palm.

Thanks for reading.

i have talked to verizon. they said just because mine gps locates me 1.5 mile away than its not their fault. have you runned the gps test in info?

VERIZON DID ONE MISTAKE WHEN THEY BLOCKED GPS:::

THEY FORGOT TO REMOVE THE GPS TEST FEATURE IN INFO!!!!
    THIS IS A GREAT REASON TO START LAWSUIT AGAINST MISSLEADING INFORMATION REGARDING THE INFORMATION PROVIDED.

NO GPS ON PALM PRE PLUS?
    I GUESS THIS IDIOTS DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY SELL

ASSISTED AND STANDALONE GPS! amen
    just got mine sedio 2600 extended battery... left with one pain issue GPS.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 04/28/2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Language
    Can you please stop with the misinformation? They aren't blocking it unless you buy their software. I haven't bought it, and my GPS works. You have to START their software for your GPS to work.
    It's a bug, not a criminal conspiracy. No, I don't work for Verizon, Palm, or anyone else in the communications industry. I just don't like FUD.
    It's not misinformation - This was confirmed by Palm, by their techs. This should be end of story, but I'll continue....

Your phone is borked. Get another one.
    I had 4 (FOUR) replacement phones, and they ALL had the same GPS issue. Not including the 3 Pre Plus phones I tried in different stores - again ALL the same GPS issues.

Uninstalling VZ Navigator (which isn't possible that I'm aware of) won't fix the problem, because the problem is in the startup scripts.

Look, this thing is running Linux. Devices are loaded at either boot time or run time as kernel modules. Given that starting VZ Nav makes GPS work properly until a system restart, it's obvious that there's a needed module that doesn't get loaded properly. Which means either VZ Nav is smart enough to load this module at run time and all other apps aren't (unlikely since it works fine on other carriers), or Verizon, in trying to save battery life, decided that VZ Nav should initialize the GPS radio rather than having it done by the OS.
    The problem is not in the startup scripts because if it was, developers would've been all over it. There's more to it than just a startup script. Anyone can go in and look at them, but there's nothing there that's glaringly obvious. Regarding your comment on VZ Nav being "smart" enough to load this module at run time and all other apps aren't -> you're kidding, right? Please enlighten me, with two identical programs on two separate phones (Google Maps on Sprint and VZ), are you going to convince us that the Sprint Google Maps happens to load the right modules but the Verizon one doesn't? Because you do know that the Sprint one works, right? But if you want to claim that this could be because Verizon is trying to save battery power by not drawing as much juice for the GPS (rather it only kicks in during VZ Nav startup) then wouldn't you be admitting that they tampered with the GPS functionality? Isn't that what everyone is talking about? If Verizon's Nav can kick the GPS in high gear and the Sprint Pre can do it with Google Maps, why can't Verizon's Pre Plus with Google maps? Because if Verizon did change Palm's intended design, you'd think Verizon would tell all the app developers so they can take advantage of the same benefits that the VZ Nav has, right?

Explain why VZW with 1.4.0 has keyboard bounce issues, Sprint with 1.4.0 do not (by and large). There are differences in the underlying setup. You're gonna make me install bash on my phone and watch the loaded processes and modules, aren't you?
    That's because Verizon DOES have a different keyboard than Sprint. No need to install bash on the Pre, just ssh into it and knock yourself out.

Hey, if you can shell in and fix the GPS, you'd get many thanks here on the forums. Why not be the champion and offer the gps fix that everyone's been waiting for?

And if you have proof of VZW employees lying about the phone, then you've got actionable information. I suggest you present such to your state's Attorney General. Because they are simply repeating the publicly stated features of the phone from VZW's own literature. If you think that they know it's bullsh, then you have them acting in furtherance of a criminal conspiracy.
    Right, like that always works with small people challenging a large company with big lawyers. When wireless providers can force the public to buy a data plan with their existing voice plan, and not be charged with TYING (see antitrust laws), we don't stand a very good chance....
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast