Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    im about to buy the palm pre but I MUST have a hotspot wifi app.

after researching the forums it appears that the mobile hotspot from verizon is usable on sprint and no extra charge thus far.

i just wanna verify this.

also the palm pre plus looks to only be available on verizon, is this accurate?

thanks in advance.
    The app is being hacked to get that functionality. So it may not be stable or work on your phone.
    I just installed it via webOS QuickInstall and it works great! I wont use it a lot, as it may tip Sprint off, but since I am going out of town this weekend, it will be a great way to avoid the hotel's $5 wifi charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I just installed it via webOS QuickInstall and it works great! I wont use it a lot, as it may tip Sprint off, but since I am going out of town this weekend, it will be a great way to avoid the hotel's $5 wifi charge.
    where can i download it? is it in the wos. quickinstall repositories?
    It should work fine with the Palm Pre. However, you should expect some possible downtime after WebOS updates since they may break the functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    The app is being hacked to get that functionality. So it may not be stable or work on your phone.
    No it isn't... You are just enabling IP Forwarding on your phone.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    It's working on Sprint right now, but there is no guarantee that it will continue to do so for very long.

If, as you say, this is a "must have" feature for you, I would recommend looking at the Pre + on Verizon as it's an officially available (for an additional fee) feature.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    It's working on Sprint right now, but there is no guarantee that it will continue to do so for very long.

If, as you say, this is a "must have" feature for you, I would recommend looking at the Pre + on Verizon as it's an officially available (for an additional fee) feature.
    Well, as long as you have the older daemons, it should work just fine-- even if Palm/Sprint tries to break it.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    All information is here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...print-pre.html

I just installed few minutes ago and everything is working fine. Actually, I am posting this using HotSpot.
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    I downloaded the two .ipk's and the one patch and installed them in the order prescribed in these two forums...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...e-hotspot.html

Obviously, you will need webOS QuickInstall if you havent gotten it already. I hate to make you read through some of those threads, but a good working knowledge is very helpful in case you mess something up.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Thanks.

So with mobile hotspot, its just that, a hotspot?

Its not the tethering thing where you have to install a program on the computer.

Is that right?

also i have wmwifi router for the treo pro and sprint doesnt make a big deal about it.

this is why i stay with sprint and i have been a customer for over 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I am using it. It works very well with multiple devices installed on Wifi and USB (PC and laptop). Pre Plus is a verizon only phone at the moment

Post a thanks if you found this useful
    Last edited by evperry; 01/28/2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Correct.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    thanks.
    Ok so I cant get this to work. Is there a correct order in which everything needs to be installed or can I just install everything at once. Thats what I have done.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    i bought the pre.

how do i install the programs?

i am assuming .jar is like an .exe file.

i downloaded the files to my computer and i tried to bluetooth it over to the phone. that didnt work. so i emailed it and tried to download and open it that way. that didnt work.

how do i download to the phone and then open? also the idk are installed by the web program?

very confusing to me from the windows mobile world..

also i think i downloaded the file but i cant fine it on the phone? if i did download, how do i delete the file without plugging in? i have a mac.

edit:
    apparently ou have to get another program called virtual box and then get an sdk permission from palm to get this done. am i on the right track?

is there an easier way to get this done?

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by renck View Post
    All information is here:

I just installed few minutes ago and everything is working fine. Actually, I am posting this using HotSpot.
    Last edited by evperry; 02/01/2010 at 09:49 PM.