Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You mean Android apps aren't backward compatible? Yikes.
    So far, this has not been the case for me. I haven't had any compatibility issues, but that's not to say that there aren't any.
    Motorola Razr -> Palm Centro -> HTC Touch Pro2 -> Palm Pre -> Motorola Droid
    I'm currently struggling with a similar decision; however, I have both phones in my possession.

I've had a Droid since they came out. I had a Pre before that, on Sprint, and had lousy coverage. Switching to Verizon has made a huge difference for me. When the Pre Plus came out, I researched, played with it at the store a few times, and finally picked one up two days ago.

I've been switching back and forth between the two. Cutting to the chase, I'm currently leaning toward sticking with the Droid and returning the Pre. My observations and thoughts so far:

Pre:
    - Love WebOS and the card paradigm. This is by far the most elegant and intuitive design for multitasking ever.
    - The vertical slider works great as a keyboard, and is vastly superior for one hand use than the Droid's virtual keyboard
    - The UI is much more polished, and certainly would appeal to a more borad audience than the Android stock UI
    - Synergy, which from the last few pages I have read seems to have fallen off this thread, is something that someone should have thought of long ago. It's functionality is great and makes a smartphone much easier and better organized to use.
    - Notifications - the notification system is very elegant. Android's approach works, but WebOS just has it right

Droid:
    - Better display, at least for me. The Pre is nice, but the Droid is simply better
    - Better responsiveness. I find the Pre Plus to be significantly less responsive than the Droid in just about every way.
    - Better data freshening - for some reason, the Pre takes longer to update than the Droid. EMail content is especially noticeable - on the Droid it is just there, on the Pre I often find myself waiting for the message content.
    - Better antenna / reception - for some reason I get significantly better signal strength on the Droid. As an example, in my driveway of all places, on the Droid I get three bars of signal; on the Pre, I get one or none, and have actually dropped a call pulling into my house. Same goes for data coverage.
    - Customization and Widgets - The ability to add an agenda view to my primary home screen, shortcuts to the apps I use and rely on most often, and widgets to control brightness and other features is a great capability that seems to be lacking from WebOS - basically two different paradigms. I have a screen of shortcuts that direct dial the people I speak with most often - something I can't do on the Pre, so far as I know.
    - Google Voice - Love it as a replacement for my voice mail. Have not found a native app for this on WebOS (though I know there is a mobile website supporting it).

I know the advantages of WebOS are more appealing to many. I really want to "love" the Pre, but what I'm finding is it just isn't quite as capable as the Droid to meet my needs.

I thought I'd run down my observations. Feedback is welcome!
    take the pre better os.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    I have a screen of shortcuts that direct dial the people I speak with most often - something I can't do on the Pre, so far as I know.
    You can go into contacts and assign the contact to the launcher through the menu. You can't send individual numbers, just that person's entire contact page.
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    I'm currently struggling with a similar decision; however, I have both phones in my possession.
    - Better antenna / reception - for some reason I get significantly better signal strength on the Droid. As an example, in my driveway of all places, on the Droid I get three bars of signal; on the Pre, I get one or none, and have actually dropped a call pulling into my house. Same goes for data coverage.
    The Droid actually has 2 antennas, which is part of the reason the reception is so good.

As far as Google Voice goes, I'd be surprised if WebOS didn't get this (assuming it doesn't already have it). Voice commands are pretty cool though and I really hope that Palm implements this across all of their phones.

As Palm puts out better hardware and WebOS improves I could definitely see myself going back to Palm. They need to put out a phone with the same level of build quality that the old Treos had. Hell, even my old Centro was a beast. That thing is still in pretty good condition (minus a small chunk on the d-pad that was taken out when it skidded across 4 lanes of traffic and hit a sewer grate).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post
    You can go into contacts and assign the contact to the launcher through the menu. You can't send individual numbers, just that person's entire contact page.
    Personally, I never found the need to do this on the Pre. Popping the keyboard up and typing their initials in always brought up the contacts I needed. This can be done on Android as well, but WebOS did it a little better IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolthisismyname View Post
    As far as Google Voice goes, I'd be surprised if WebOS didn't get this (assuming it doesn't already have it). Voice commands are pretty cool though and I really hope that Palm implements this across all of their phones.
    I think you are confused. Google Voice is different than Voice Recognition for voice commands.

GV works just fineand there are several GV apps in the app catalog plus the new web interface. Every one seems to have a hard-on that the new web interface for GV was only relese for the iPhone...if you read the description, it's for the iPhone AND the Pre/Pixi.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corneliused View Post
    don't do it, gmail sucks on the pre, contact managment sucks on the pre, there's no visual voice mail without a google voice invite, plus no digital compass. You can't download many files because it can't handle .jsp or anything else similar.
    ... sucks? its awesome, it pushes to my phone before gmail in a browser even receives the new email. are you kidding me??? contact synergy + automatic backup to cloud = no more worrying about formatting the device or replacing it w/ a new one!!! plus it's all backed up to a google account too. you must be smoking some serious ish
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567