Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by emedic View Post
    On the fence and leaning toward the droid after some really well rounded responses here, thanks to all for the good discussion. A few key questions
    The different forms of apps and patches are very intimidating, are they difficult to install?
    Does the screen scratch easily?
    3 days to go
    The Droids screen is glass and does not scratch easily. I didn't have any major scratching issues with the Pre's plastic screen either - I did baby it a little more though.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Hmmm.....You joined in Aug., went through 5 Pre's and your 1st post was in Jan.?
    Yes, I never posted in the forums. I still frequent here because my gf still has a pre, probably switching at the 1-year mark, waiting to see whats out then.
  3.    #103  
    I thought you can only swap once
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I had to get my Hero replaced twice for various reasons. The first issue was when the little plastic chrome trim near the USB port cracked overnight (the phone was never dropped) and left a sharp piece of plastic sticking out about five millimeters. The two guys at the Sprint store with Hero phone both had similar cracks, but theirs were horizontal, not veritcal, so the trim hadn't started peeling away like it was on mine. One of the guys had used super glue to stop it.

Then the replacement phone that they gave me had about an inch and a half near the top right of the screen where it wouldn't respond to touch input. Just a total dead zone.

Would it be fair for me to say that HTC makes terrible hardware? No, not really.
    Pre issues are more frequent and well documented on here. The HTC build quality is much higher. I haven't heard of any physical problems with people's Hero's at Android Central. Most likely, if this is even true, I would probably say you had a pre "with Google" phone. My Hero is solid. My gf's pre is flimsy and feels like its going to break, just like all 5 of mine did.
    On the fence and leaning toward the droid after some really well rounded responses here, thanks to all for the good discussion. A few key questions
    The different forms of apps and patches are very intimidating, are they difficult to install?
    Does the screen scratch easily?
    3 days to go
    I'll tell you what...
    Go get your Pre and PM me, I'll walk you through it step-by-step in 5 minutes to get you on homebrew and patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    Long press the back button, it gives you the option to exit... so, thats only 1 press to exit, not 5 or longer.
    Seriously, if Palm hasn't changed build quality of the pre plus, you are better off with the droid, which i know gets a lot of complaints. I switched to a Hero and honestly, not having to talk to Palm CS or Sprint CS is a HUGE plus. I'm much happier now.
    That being said, there are STILL basic phone functions missing from WebOS that are available in the Android platform. If you can wait, the Nexus One will be available for Verizon in Spring, which totally kills the Pre Plus in every way possible.
    what are you smoking?
    sharing is caring!
    let me guess you got the stuff that will melt you like in those pot commercials!
    I thought you can only swap once
    Not with the Pre, the standard procedure was just order another Pre since the service department's are not allowed to touch the phones other than replace batteries. It wasn't until I called CS and spoke with a manager threatening to leave sprint that they offered a phone swap.
    couldn't see your pic because it was bleeped out. Try to be civil. I haven't lied or called anybody any names. I'm just expressing my displeasure with my 5 month experience with Palm. I honestly was very excited about the phone when it came out. I switched to Sprint specifically for this phone. It was a big disappointment.
    I honestly wouldn't have even mentioned anything here if it wasn't for one of your fan boys ****ing me off at android central the other day, Palm sending me an e-mail asking me how their customer service was (I kept this if you want me to forward it to you), and curiosity on build quality of the Verizon Pre Plus. I did have all the issues mentioned earlier. I was very patient. The final straw was the 4th Pre having an antenna issue where it bounced from 3g to 1x all day long killing the battery, oreo effect to the extreme and still no resolution after a month and a half of waiting for my contacts to be resolved. Palm Customer Service unsuccessfully tried to restore my contacts after 1 month. The e-mail was concerning restoring my contacts... I've had the Hero for 2 months now.

Warblad13, why would you even link in your sig about a post being on your first pre if the build quality of the Palm Pre was good. Its like you're super lucky your phone hasn't given you a headache (and yes, you are very lucky).
    Last edited by rufflez; 01/30/2010 at 06:14 PM.
    couldn't see your pic because it was bleeped out. Try to be civil. I haven't lied or called anybody any names. I'm just expressing my displeasure with my 5 month experience with Palm. I honestly was very excited about the phone when it came out. I switched to Sprint specifically for this phone. It was a big disappointment.
    I honestly wouldn't have even mentioned anything here if it wasn't for one of your fan boys ****ing me off at android central the other day, Palm sending me an e-mail asking me how their customer service was (I kept this if you want me to forward it to you), and curiosity on build quality of the Verizon Pre Plus. I did have all the issues mentioned earlier. I was very patient. The final straw was the 4th Pre having an antenna issue where it bounced from 3g to 1x all day long killing the battery, oreo effect to the extreme and still no resolution after a month and a half of waiting for my contacts to be resolved. Palm Customer Service unsuccessfully tried to restore my contacts after 1 month. The e-mail was concerning restoring my contacts... I've had the Hero for 2 months now.

Warblad13, why would you even link in your sig about a post being on your first pre if the build quality of the Palm Pre was good. Its like you're super lucky your phone hasn't given you a headache (and yes, you are very lucky).
    bye
    If you need to think quick, respond fast or work in your sleep, or if you need a device that has to operate as an extension to yourself...go for the pre. The Droid has excelent hardware, but the software is somewhat disconnected from the human. The Droid is customizable, so in time, the Droid will become more cohesive. Presently, I keep returning to my pre.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I hhad te moto droid..actually two. They both had hardware issues and I finally just gave up on the droid. The whole os seems verys childish to me. The phone was way too heavy and honestly..just a lot of hype.

I have had the bb curve 8330, the 1st storm, ALL 3 iPhones, bb tour 9630, samsung omnia, palm centro, palm treo, htc touch pro, att tilt, and the pre plus. In all honesty the pre is by far the best.

I LOVE webos and the whole 'cards' idea. The phys. Keyboard is also much better on thhe pre then one the droid.

bottom line..I've had almos every smartphone that att or verizon make..I'm def sticking with my pre!!!

note that the droid is a great device, I cannot slam it. I just got tired of mine never working as it should. A lot of potential there but it's just anotherr ***** proof smart phone with damn good marketing.
    it is definitely worth it. My wife and I switched from the droid to the pre plus last night. We both are definitely love it! The pre is a tad slower, **** it's not a deal breaker for us. Some people just don't have patience. As many phones as I go through though, lol, I see myself with this for a while.
    Pre issues are more frequent and well documented on here. The HTC build quality is much higher. I haven't heard of any physical problems with people's Hero's at Android Central. Most likely, if this is even true, I would probably say you had a pre "with Google" phone. My Hero is solid. My gf's pre is flimsy and feels like its going to break, just like all 5 of mine did.
    All three of my Heroes said "with Google" on the back and had the latest profile.

Plastic Chrome Trim Cracked - Android Forums

Hero by HTC:Finally Happened to Me

Small crack in hero trim, never ever dropped - SprintUsers.com
    goto store and play both for yourself.
    My 23 y.o. daughter has had her 2 months Droid and loves it. I have two 21 y.o. daughters who just got Droids this week. One loves it the other hates it. I have been waffling for 6 weeks now between the Pre Plus and the Droid. My upgrade is tomorrow. I have decided to get the Pre Plus and at least give it the trial. I love everything about the phone except I really wanted the free turn by turn nav system on the Droid as I travel a lot for business and wanted to eliminate carrying my Garmin on trips. I also wanted to avoid the $10/month VZ Navigator charge. Also, now I hear the Pre Plus GPS is buggy. All that said I am still giving the Pre a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteman303 View Post
    My 23 y.o. daughter has had her 2 months Droid and loves it. I have two 21 y.o. daughters who just got Droids this week. One loves it the other hates it. I have been waffling for 6 weeks now between the Pre Plus and the Droid. My upgrade is tomorrow. I have decided to get the Pre Plus and at least give it the trial. I love everything about the phone except I really wanted the free turn by turn nav system on the Droid as I travel a lot for business and wanted to eliminate carrying my Garmin on trips. I also wanted to avoid the $10/month VZ Navigator charge. Also, now I hear the Pre Plus GPS is buggy. All that said I am still giving the Pre a try.
    google maps is nice, works pretty well

for turn by turn, you can install the sprint software free on the verizon phone i believe.

here is the article with various links to how to do it on a bell phone, should be the same for the verizon version.

http://www.precentral.net/sprint-apps-canadian-devices
    There are four lights.
    .........meant to say with most web enabled phones you only get sites optimized for mobile phones and not the sites you would get on a computer...........
    Quote Originally Posted by feyded1020 View Post
    Dont spread your bad experiences around to others.. Apple doesnt give refunds.. so stop complaining.. as far as Android, Id doubt they would either..
    They do. You have 24 hours to return any app for any reason.

Would you rather everyone keep quiet about their bad experiences?

As far as Pre vs Droid goes, I switched to the Droid for a number of reasons:
    1) Poor Pre hardware quality (2 with dead pixels, all of them with crappy sliders)
    2) Poor customer service on Sprint's part and bad reception (not sure if it was Sprint of the phone).

What do I miss?
    1) WebOS. Definitely WebOS. It is, by far, the slickest mobile OS I've ever used.
    2) I miss the Pre keyboard a bit too, but the lack of a directional pad doesn't make me miss it all that much (editing writing with no D-pad is a nightmare for me).
    3) I also miss my 2600 mAh Seidio battery for the Pre (the Pre was small and thin enough that this actually made it feel better in my hands).

What's good about the Droid?
    1) The screen is top-notch, huge resolution and it's made out of gorilla glass so you don't have to worry about scratches like you do with the Pre.
    2) Tons of useful apps, WebOS will get there I'm sure but right now the difference is pretty noticeable.
    3) Much more solid hardware. It just feels right in my hands.
    4) Way better reception. Haven't dropped a single call since I switched (though the Droid does have excellent reception this probably has more to do with the network).
    5) D-pad. I had it on my Centro and I loved it. I missed it a lot on the Pre and just didn't like how WebOS handled moving the cursor around.
    6) Widgets: You can customize your desktop A LOT with these. I've got my main screen to display local weather, my calendar for the day and some of my most useful apps. I get a warning whenever harsh weather rolls in and I can see what I need to do for the day as soon as I look at my phone.

Gripes about the Droid?
    1) The keyboard is kinda meh. I'm able to type quickly on it now, but I still don't like it. It's not the fact that the buttons are flat so much as the placement of the shift and alt keys. Also, ' should be on the L key, not the M key. There are two blank spots on the lower corners of the keyboard as well, they really should have added a couple of useful buttons here.
    2) Coming from the card system, I don't like how it handles multitasking. A 3rd party task manager app has made this a bit better but it still doesn't compare to the card system.
    3) Despite being out for much longer than WebOS, Android still get's mildly glitchy every once in a while.

If they had made the Pixi available with the same specs as the Pre, I may have decided to use that instead. My major gripe was the quality of the Pre. Good design, hell, great design, but the quality control seemed pretty bad to me. Maybe I just had bad luck.

Which phone is right for you? How the hell should I know? Go check the phones out for yourself. That's really the only way to tell. You can read all the reviews and forums in the world but until you have the phone in your hands you won't really know if it's the right phone for you.

Edit:
    Oh yeah, the navigation that comes with the Droid is pretty good, although I'm still getting used to it and the Sprint navigation on my Pre worked well enough for me. This was not a major factor in my decision to switch.

P.S.
    If you get the Droid, do yourself a favor and get Dolphin Web Browser (has multitouch and gestures) as well as Advanced Task Killer (helps with multitasking and stopping processes). Astrid task manager is a kick-*** to-do list and 3banana is a good note-taking app. These are all free. Docs2Go is also very useful, but costs money. The price seems to change, it was $10 when I got it but I've seen it as high as $20.

If you get the Pre, do yourself a favor and learn how to install Preware. The homebrew patches make a HUGE difference and it's not hard to do. You may also want to think about applying a Zagg invisible shield to protect the screen from damage. If you don't mind the extra bulk, the extended batteries help a lot too.
    Last edited by lolthisismyname; 01/31/2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Motorola Razr -> Palm Centro -> HTC Touch Pro2 -> Palm Pre -> Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Which "crappy watered down mobile web browser" are you referring to?

Joe

.........meant to say with most web enabled phones you only get sites optimized for mobile phones and not the sites you would get on a computer...........
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Well, I wrote a VERY long post about the phones. I have the Palm Pre Plus and did have the Moto Droid. I would suggest the Pre Plus any day.

My post is erased bc the forums said I was not logged in and when I clicked back it was gone. There goes 2.5 hours of work b/c the site screwed up. =(

Just PM me or reply here with any questions you have about the phones and I will be happy to share.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast