Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 128
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    If you can wait, the Nexus One will be available for Verizon in Spring, which totally kills the Pre Plus in every way possible.
    Lol. Nexus is better in every way huh? How about?

    1. physical keyboard
    2. usable multitasking
    3. an OS that gets updated (once the Nexus 2 comes out how long will it be before the Nexus 1 has the newer OS? 3 months? 6 months? who knows?)
    4. better games on the Pre Plus (with PDK, iPhone game porting will open up MUCH more)
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I bought a Droid on launch day (Nov 6th) and have used it daily, often alongside my still-active Treo 755p. Additionally, I accompanied my boss to get a Pre Plus on launch day Monday and have used it quite a bit this week helping make the Garnet to WebOS leap.

    Here are my views on the two platforms:

    Droid/Android Pros:
    -Huge, beautiful high-res screen. What a beauty to view photos, videos and web pages on!
    -Much better overall performance than WebOS/Pre (but still sluggish in some areas)
    -Superb voice dial/command/search capabilities
    -Google Maps navigation is standard and FREE. Definitely the platform's killer app.
    -D-pad
    -Superb video recording capabilities available now
    -Expandable memory via microSDHC
    -Higher-capacity stock battery
    -Overall better build quality (though it's not that comfortable to hold in hand and I am always hitting those touch-sensitive icons on the bottom row, especially the back arrow)
    -Wider variety of available apps, most of which are free. I place very little emphasis on apps and prefer to focus on a device's standard capabilities and bundled software, btw.
    - The $ resources of Google behind it, so OS updates should be plentiful and come rather frequently. You also have Verizon putting all of its marketing muscle to push the Droid.

    WebOS/Pre Plus Pros:
    -Much better multitasking. I love the card metaphor and wish Palm would bring it to a larger screen device (like the iPad, *cough*)
    -Much better OS UI aesthetics overall (Droid still looks like a rough work in progress IMO)
    -Better native calendar & contacts apps. Also has a Memos app standard. Neither Android or WebOS can touch Garnet for PIM functionality, however.
    -Slightly better native e-mail app. Again, Chatteremail or VersaMail on Garnet beats both of 'em.
    -Formfactor fits much better in the hand as well as in the pocket.
    -Slightly better keyboard feel than Droid and "smile" shape is nice to have.
    -Surprisingly better voice quality & reception on the Pre. I cannot emphasize how disappointing the Droid's performance as a phone is, especially coming from a longtime leader like Moto. I've NEVER had a Moto dumbphone with bad RF/voice performance. The Droid really is a disappointment in this aspect.
    -WebOS has multitouch gestures standard
    -Despite much worse performance, WebOS does seem a bit more stable than Android 2.0.1. There is also not as much fragmentation between the WebOS hardware & software ecosystems than with Android (various devices running 1.5, 1.6, 2.0.1 and 2.1)
    -Pre's portrait orientation makes it slight better for one-handed operation than Droid. Neither device can beat Treo/Centro for one-handed operation, however.
    -Palm has their transfer utility to make the Palm Desktop to WebOS switch painlessly. There are still a number of kinks when going from Palm Desktop to Gmail/Android.

    I consider the dock issue a wash. The Touchstone dock is a nice extra but a bit fiddly and overpriced. The Droid dock is quite snazzy as well, what with its special dock screen and attractive pricetag.

    Right now WebOS has some stunning shortcomings, especially when being used as a telephone (no voice dialing at all, no automatic voicemail PIN dialing) and its performance and battery life leave much to be desired. Comparing both platforms head to head for Verizon users, I'd give the nod very slightly to the Droid, if only due to the standard nav, stunning screen, and better performance. Palm needs to pick up the pace and beef up their hardware while continuing to finetune WebOS' features and performance.

    If I had to do it over again and had the luxury of more time I'd have just bought a new dumbphone + maybe a leftover Centro and waited to see what happens over the next 6-12 months. I only bought the Droid because I was tempted by the fantastic hardware specs & my old dumbphone died right when I had to go out of town the next day.
    That is a pretty good analysis. I agree, my experience on the Droid as a phone was pretty poor. The only reason I would come down in favor of the Pre Plus over the Droid is with respect to the interface (WebOS vs. Android). I just felt that Android was cluttered (different sized icons, gadgets that didn't work all the time) while WebOS was clean, attractive, and worked well. Yes, it is not nearly as quick, but there is something to be said about having a phone that works well as opposed to continual crashes and issues.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by jexner325 View Post
    I don't think you are by any means "better off with the droid". My experience with the Droid was pretty terrible; lots of resets and no way to "kill apps" without having to download a seperate task manager. Not exactly an ideal way to manage background applications. Plus, I thought searching for Apps was terrible and the quality was pretty bad too.

    I agree, you could wait for the Nexus One which may be a better device. Then again, you could also wait for the iPhone 4 when it comes out for Verizon or the Palm Pre Plus 2. Or maybe even the Droid 2. The argument to wait is pretty worthless because if you wait you can always get a better phone, if you are looking to make a move now, that argument really doesn't help you out.
    I don't have a droid. I have a Hero. Its not as fast or as powerful as the Droid, but its very nice. There is a very easy way to kill apps... exit out of them the proper way. My phone is snappy cause I know what I'm doing. You are very fooled if you think the Pre is better in this aspect. Why do you get "too many cards" with only 2 cards open? Thats because some apps didn't close properly. There is no way to fix this without restarting the phone, and as we all know, that takes friggin forever. To exit out of an android app properly, hit the back button, not the home button. With the dolphin browser, long press the back button and a menu comes up to exit. No issues. Things close properly. I will admit, there's a learning curve, but once you get used to it, multitaskin (true multi-tasking, not having to refresh the page like webos) makes things much faster.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    Lol. Nexus is better in every way huh? How about?

    1. physical keyboard
    2. usable multitasking
    3. an OS that gets updated (once the Nexus 2 comes out how long will it be before the Nexus 1 has the newer OS? 3 months? 6 months? who knows?)
    4. better games on the Pre Plus (with PDK, iPhone game porting will open up MUCH more)
    Like i said, multi-tasking is true multi-tasking and is far better than webos which has to refresh a page, copy paste works nicely, and the on-board keyboard works great on it with the 3.7" screen. The reason the android platform doesn't update as often is because its complete, and they test **** out before breaking the damn phone. I was glad to get rid of the pre. I had it for 5 months and all it caused was frustration and low level of functionality for me. Um, the 3d games have been there for android for a while now. Check this video out on a Droid if you dont believe me. Some great titles in there, and they all work on my Hero, no need for 2.0
    It wont let me post the link, but search youtube for 50 android games in one video.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    i am happy with my pre but really am jonesing for video camera. I am hoping 1.4 will not disappoint. If it sucks then i may switch to a droid or try and wait it out for nexus one on verizon or sprint
    Honestly...stick with your contract on the Pre. The N1 and Droid are all ver.1 devices and an incremental upgrade/downgrade to the Pre. I would really stick around at least until the Pre2 comes out or is announced until I'd make my decision. By then, you might know what the Nexus3 or Droid2 will be.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by jexner325 View Post
    The argument to wait is pretty worthless because if you wait you can always get a better phone, if you are looking to make a move now, that argument really doesn't help you out.
    IMHO...I disagree with your assessment. Smartphones just started to get the buzz and are now catching on. The Droid vs Pre vs iPhone 3Gs are minor upgrades/downgrades in switching between them. The N1 perhaps a bit more incremental with a 1ghz cpu and OLED...basically 2x's the hardware of the other competitors at current.

    Version 2 of all these devices are expected to be a leap foward, not just a step up now that 1ghz, OLED and other technologies are being incorporated into these devices. I think it's worth the wait to ride-out your contract on current 3GS, Pre or Droid until the next 12 - 18 months. I honestly think within that time frame, we'll be looking back at the above devices like we currently view feature phones today.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    Like i said, multi-tasking is true multi-tasking and is far better than webos which has to refresh a page, copy paste works nicely, and the on-board keyboard works great on it with the 3.7" screen. The reason the android platform doesn't update as often is because its complete, and they test **** out before breaking the damn phone. I was glad to get rid of the pre. I had it for 5 months and all it caused was frustration and low level of functionality for me. Um, the 3d games have been there for android for a while now. Check this video out on a Droid if you dont believe me. Some great titles in there, and they all work on my Hero, no need for 2.0
    It wont let me post the link, but search youtube for 50 android games in one video.
    For one a lot of people don't want an on screen keyboard, and the Nexus 1 doesn't solve that nor does the pathetic flat Droid keyboard I have tested out at Verizon. I'd prefer a virtual kb than that poor implementation.

    Secondly, Android doesn't update because it is a pain in the *** for the different players involved. Why don't 1.5 and 1.6 and other phones already have the 2.0 already? Or another thought is maybe it is easy for them but they wont you to upgrade phones to get it so they can make even more money on you... either way it is a bad experience for the consumer. I would prefer a complete solution that Palm and Apple provide.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    For one a lot of people don't want an on screen keyboard, and the Nexus 1 doesn't solve that nor does the pathetic flat Droid keyboard I have tested out at Verizon. I'd prefer a virtual kb than that poor implementation.

    Secondly, Android doesn't update because it is a pain in the *** for the different players involved. Why don't 1.5 and 1.6 and other phones already have the 2.0 already? Or another thought is maybe it is easy for them but they wont you to upgrade phones to get it so they can make even more money on you... either way it is a bad experience for the consumer. I would prefer a complete solution that Palm and Apple provide.
    I have 1.5 now, and I'm getting the 2.1 update soon. However, the 2.1 update isn't quite needed as everything works just fine in 1.5. HTC has done their part to get the 2.1 update working on the Hero, what we are waiting for is Sprint to release it. The Sense UI puts a unique and beautiful experience to Android. I don't see how the physical keyboard, in its microscopic sense, is any better than a virtual keyboard with text correction. Landscape keyboard makes it more convenient and easier to type on. It really isn't that bad.
  9. #89  
    Android's UI and multitasking can't compare with WebOS. The games don't compete yet either, and will not at all until they can fix the application storage limit on Android (the Nexus One only has 512 megabytes available for apps).

    Android updates also rarely happen, and it's not because they are testing them heavily, it's because they totally abandon existing devices. The Droid is just barely two months old and it's completely neglected as far as the 2.1 update is concerned. The Hero isn't getting 2.1 until sometime in the first half of this year which is ridiculous.

    Switching from the Droid to the Pre is a solid decision in my opinion. You'll get a more usable OS interface immediately and more frequent updates in the future.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    My phone is snappy cause I know what I'm doing. You are very fooled if you think the Pre is better in this aspect. Why do you get "too many cards" with only 2 cards open? Thats because some apps didn't close properly. There is no way to fix this without restarting the phone, and as we all know, that takes friggin forever. To exit out of an android app properly, hit the back button, not the home button. With the dolphin browser, long press the back button and a menu comes up to exit. No issues. Things close properly. I will admit, there's a learning curve,
    My Pre is snappy because I know what I'm doing...You are fooled if you think the Hero is better in this aspect.
    See...I can do the same with my opinion and suppositions....

    Your only fact in that whole rant was the round-about way you meant that webOS doesn't have as many applications.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    I have 1.5 now, and I'm getting the 2.1 update soon. However, the 2.1 update isn't quite needed as everything works just fine in 1.5. HTC has done their part to get the 2.1 update working on the Hero, what we are waiting for is Sprint to release it. The Sense UI puts a unique and beautiful experience to Android. I don't see how the physical keyboard, in its microscopic sense, is any better than a virtual keyboard with text correction. Landscape keyboard makes it more convenient and easier to type on. It really isn't that bad.
    You will not be getting it soon and you are waiting on HTC, not Sprint, to deliver it. There are numerous applications that do not work on 1.5, some of the best on the platform in fact (such as Google Maps with Navigation, and Google Goggles), so you're also wrong when you say "everything works just fine in 1.5".

    Your Android experience is currently broken, and even the best Android experience now (on the Nexus One) pales in comparison to WebOS in terms of polish and usability.

    The biggest problem with HTC is that their attention is everywhere. They released the Hero, then they released the Nexus One. Now the Hero is horribly outdated software-wise but Nexus One owners have been waiting a few weeks for a 3G fix that has yet to arrive. Simultaneously, they are working on the Supersonic, Bravo, etc. etc. etc. There are like a billion new handsets in play over at that company, so it makes sense that they have to effectively abandon them as soon as they are released.

    I had a Hero, and there were serious software bugs in 1.5 that affected my ability to use the phone on a daily basis. HTC's timeframe of "sometime in the first half of 2010" for the 2.1 update was totally unacceptable.

    Android = Incredibly weak support for existing hardware and a user interface that still lags WebOS
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    My Pre is snappy because I know what I'm doing...You are fooled if you think the Hero is better in this aspect.
    See...I can do the same with my opinion and suppositions....
    Just saying, we have a lot of people who ditched the pre for the hero in android central. TONS. I put up with Palm's BS for 5 months. At the end of the day, build quality is what makes people happy. Second would come features. Third should be user interface (if you don't know what you're doing, this might be second). As far as the first two I mentioned, ALL android phones are built better than ANY Palm phone. First hand experience on that one. Brother in law has G1, no issues (YES, that IS a slider phone), Sister has a MyTouch and she loves it (Has N1 envy, but definately not regretting getting the mytouch), I have the Hero, although not as snappy as the Droid, I keep it running better than any Pre I owned (owned 5, yes 5, between broken antennas, ****ty battery life, poorly designed slider issues, memory leak issues, loss of ALL my contacts, ****ty Palm support). The decision to go to the Hero when Sprint gave me the opportunity was a no-brainer. Hands down, better phone. It just WORKS.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    Just saying, we have a lot of people who ditched the pre for the hero in android central. TONS. I put up with Palm's BS for 5 months. At the end of the day, build quality is what makes people happy. Second would come features. Third should be user interface (if you don't know what you're doing, this might be second). As far as the first two I mentioned, ALL android phones are built better than ANY Palm phone. First hand experience on that one. Brother in law has G1, no issues (YES, that IS a slider phone), Sister has a MyTouch and she loves it (Has N1 envy, but definately not regretting getting the mytouch), I have the Hero, although not as snappy as the Droid, I keep it running better than any Pre I owned (owned 5, yes 5, between broken antennas, ****ty battery life, poorly designed slider issues, memory leak issues, loss of ALL my contacts, ****ty Palm support). The decision to go to the Hero when Sprint gave me the opportunity was a no-brainer. Hands down, better phone. It just WORKS.
    Hmmm.....You joined in Aug., went through 5 Pre's and your 1st post was in Jan.?
  14. #94  
    I had to get my Hero replaced twice for various reasons. The first issue was when the little plastic chrome trim near the USB port cracked overnight (the phone was never dropped) and left a sharp piece of plastic sticking out about five millimeters. The two guys at the Sprint store with Hero phone both had similar cracks, but theirs were horizontal, not veritcal, so the trim hadn't started peeling away like it was on mine. One of the guys had used super glue to stop it.

    Then the replacement phone that they gave me had about an inch and a half near the top right of the screen where it wouldn't respond to touch input. Just a total dead zone.

    Would it be fair for me to say that HTC makes terrible hardware? No, not really.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Hmmm.....You joined in Aug., went through 5 Pre's and your 1st post was in Jan.?
    Yeah, I'm calling BS on these exaggerations too. I haven't had a single issue with the hardware on the Pre. My friend got one on the very first day and he hasn't exchanged his once either.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    Just saying, we have a lot of people who ditched the pre for the hero in android central. TONS.
    Have you read the posts here al all? The *ditching* has gone both ways.

    At the end of the day, build quality is what makes people happy. Second would come features. Third should be user interface (if you don't know what you're doing, this might be second).
    Again, YOUR opinion.
    As far as the first two I mentioned, ALL android phones are built better than ANY Palm phone.
    Nexus One and Hero/Eris...i'll give you that. Moto Droid...IMO, not so much.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Yeah, I'm calling BS on these exaggerations too. I haven't had a single issue with the hardware on the Pre. My friend got one on the very first day and he hasn't exchanged his once either.
    Launch-gen Pre here too...and I beat it up daily. Works awesome and just installed MHS on it. Coudn't be happier.

    I have a suspicion that if the poster in question spend as much effrot in his praising the Hero as the 2nd coming of Christ on figuring out what he did to his Pre, perhaps he'd be rolling 1.3.5.1 and thinking that webOS is vastly improved.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    As far as the first two I mentioned, ALL android phones are built better than ANY Palm phone.
    Seriously? I mean, seriously? Are you a betting man, by chance? I'm not really, but I would like to take advantage of this...




    *psst, no one tell him that palm made phones before the pre, okay *
  19.    #99  
    On the fence and leaning toward the droid after some really well rounded responses here, thanks to all for the good discussion. A few key questions
    The different forms of apps and patches are very intimidating, are they difficult to install?
    Does the screen scratch easily?
    3 days to go
  20. #100  
    Preware/patches are easy to install. They have many brands of screen protectors out that don't degrade the performance of the touchscreen. Remember, you have 30 days to try out the phone, if you don't like it you can exchange it for another brand before the 30 days are up. Good luck!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions