Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    How about the slider? Is it tight?
    Yes the Pre Plus slide is much stronger than the Sprint Pre.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Well I guess I'm technically doing the "trial" thing now, but after only 1 day I'm already liking the Pre+ a lot.

The Storm2 is a nice enough phone, but after a few months of use I don't like the "click" screen as much as I thought I would, and the BB OS feels very plodding. Not to mention the god-awful browser.

So looks like I'll probably be keeping the Pre+, canceling the Storm2, paying the ETF and hopefully recouping that by Ebaying the Storm2.
    Last edited by mwbunce; 01/29/2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    I have the Droid and NEEDED to get the Pre the day it came out. The Pre is laggy in comparison to the Droid (but so is every other phone on the market). Additionally, the small rubbery keyboard is a bit of a pain to get used to, but that's to be expected with any new input... much better than the Droid's BS keyboard. WebOS is amazing and much more intuitive than Android. Out of the box cusomization is slim and the lack of widgets was something to adapt to, but I was able to easily.
    in the last year I've gone through 5 smart phones on 3 different platforms (BB, Android, and WebOS) and this is the first time I've ever thought to myself, "you know, I don't need to keep buying new phones. I could just use this one and be satisfied for at least 2 years." And coming from from me, that is huge.
    I love this phone and am actually preparing to sell my Droid and for the first time in years, only own one phone... all because of the Pre and how perfect it is for me and my use.
    hope that may help your choice a little. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I'd like to point out that the Palm Pre Plus is probably slower within apps.
    I find that Apps take a bit to open but once in the card stack they're very quick.
    I had the droid since the first day it came out. The droid has many amazing features... one being GPS (in my opinion better than my $800 tomtom), the large screen, widgets, and so on but let me tell you... the Pre is so much better. Email on the droid is just simply horrible. The keyboard is a major downfall of the droid and the software keyboard sucks. I just could not get used to it. whetn you typew it alqays comrs out likde tnhis. I'm always having to hit the back key to correct my mistakes. This is soooooo frustrating. If you are a heavy user of email and text then stir away from the droid. You're only gonna get frustrated.

Pre and WebOS is simply amazing. The multitasking is beyond anything you can imagine. The keyboard blows the droid way out of the water. It's clicky and has a great feel. Email on my Pre just doesn't compare to the droid. I sync to my work Exchange Server and it works great, it's absolute stellar. Also, you can add signature to each email account... not so with the droid (in a world that doesn't) droid doesn't do that.

The upside WebOS has is exciting. Remember 9 updates on Sprint. That's two updates a month. Palm is committed to make this the best mobil platform in this industry. Droid has seen 1 update in 3-4 months. Soon 1.4 will be released and that update will support flash, video recording, increased battery life, speedier response. 1.4 is a major update.

Applications are being written left and right. It was an easy decision for me.

It was very disappointing that Palm and Verizon did not do much advertising on this guy… This is the biggest network in America. I don’t understand that at all.

I have the Pre plus and loving it. Go Palm!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Hi... My name is Stephen and I am a smartphone addict. (Hi Stephen!)

After a few big let downs as far as smartphones go I got an upgrade from Sprint well before I was due. I went and picked up the Pre on my birthday (asked for visa cards... they didnt know they would be feeding the monsterous addiction).

I was somewhat bored of it until the patches started rolling out. Then got bored again... then the Themes started hitting the system. Then got bored for a bit changing the way to phone looked and went looking for a Android phone. Saw the Hero sitting there and played with it... had the cash in my hand and was going to change after 4 months of playing with the Pre.

All the things the Pre did well, the Hero sort of lacked and vice versa. Was content to walk away from the Sprint register (thats a big deal for me... I would like to thank my sponser for believing in me *claps*).

Then the programs started to really roll out, then the games, then the Gameboy Emulator, then the idea of flash...

I think I will have my 2 year chip for the first time ever when it comes to phones... and its not from lack of competition because I could have walked out of my Sprint contract this month... I just DIDNT WANT TO! (gasp)

In other words... I kind of like this phone and am excited to have the new VZW people here to help bring this OS along.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    Pre is more like the apple app store just less for now.
    ROFLMAO. I love it when Pre owners compare it to the iPhone in places it has no business being compared. So what you're saying is that, like the iTunes app store, it has tons of fart, chick and useless applications but leaving out that there is only one WebOS application for every 90 iPhone apps. In no way is the Pre at the iPhone status and unfortunately it seems that it may be a long wait until the WebOS has all the essential apps you'd expect and at a level of functionality that approaches the iPhone. There are starts to the movement (Instant Messenger, task management, etc.) It's probably closer to the Andoid store as the OP is interested in but best to let Android owners confirm this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAGeek View Post
    I had the droid since the first day it came out. The droid has many amazing features... one being GPS (in my opinion better than my $800 tomtom), the large screen, widgets, and so on but let me tell you... the Pre is so much better. Email on the droid is just simply horrible. The keyboard is a major downfall of the droid and the software keyboard sucks. I just could not get used to it. whetn you typew it alqays comrs out likde tnhis. I'm always having to hit the back key to correct my mistakes. This is soooooo frustrating. If you are a heavy user of email and text then stir away from the droid. You're only gonna get frustrated.

Pre and WebOS is simply amazing. The multitasking is beyond anything you can imagine. The keyboard blows the droid way out of the water. It's clicky and has a great feel. Email on my Pre just doesn't compare to the droid. I sync to my work Exchange Server and it works great, it's absolute stellar. Also, you can add signature to each email account... not so with the droid (in a world that doesn't) droid doesn't do that.

The upside WebOS has is exciting. Remember 9 updates on Sprint. That's two updates a month. Palm is committed to make this the best mobil platform in this industry. Droid has seen 1 update in 3-4 months. Soon 1.4 will be released and that update will support flash, video recording, increased battery life, speedier response. 1.4 is a major update.

Applications are being written left and right. It was an easy decision for me.

It was very disappointing that Palm and Verizon did not do much advertising on this guy… This is the biggest network in America. I don’t understand that at all.

I have the Pre plus and loving it. Go Palm!
    Well, coming from another smartphone power user / developer, they are pretty equal. I love my droid, and i love my pre. They both have upsides, and they both have downsides. My main downside with the pre is the apps. The apps are all basically webpages at the moment, until the PDK is released. So instant messanger apps (like IM+ for instance) are slow and cumbersome. I wish that the built in IM application had more services than just gtalk and AIM, as i use MSN mostly. But multitasking and app management is so much better on the pre, the keyboards are pretty much equal in my opinion (i had one of the random good keyboards on the droid with defined keys, my boss got one with the usual droid keyboard where the keys were all flat, not rounded off like mine) so i would say go play with the pre, if you like the form factor (which i do) then go for it!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    If you haven't already, definitely check out the videos and reviews at the smartphone round robin. It's a really in depth A to B comparison from both Pre and Droid users' viewpoints.

Ultimately it comes down to what's most important to you in a phone. Nothing you get is going to be flawless, it just depends on what factors of a smartphone carry the most weight for you personally. I have a Sprint Pre so I have my own reasons for choosing Sprint over Verizon (ultimately I just really didn't want AT&T any more) but even if I went with Verizon now, I would undoubtedly get a Pre+ (I'm a bit jealous )

An incredibly slick UI with simple and straight forward multi-tasking, touchstone charger, amazing form factor (especially by comparison), multi-touch capacity, and intuitive gestures are what sold me.

One other selling point for me was faith in Palm. Obviously they aren't the powerhouse that Google is in...pretty much everything, but to me that's all the more reason to make their devices amazing. Palm's smartphones are its lifeblood while Google's are more like a really big side project.

Finally, if you do go with the Pre+, I would personally recommend hacking it and opening the wide world of patching and homebrew, it's a whole new realm of the Pre experience. It's also really simple and pretty darn safe from what I've heard and experienced.
    I can speak from experience. My friend Jake is that cool guy in the office. he has long hair, owns a few macbooks and knows linux/unix/All os's pretty much except windows. He hates windows. Makes fun of windows users yadda yadda. He had an iPhone for about a year. the 3g. When 3gs came out, he looked at the business model and looked at how they were blocking google and actually just said hes tired of his terd iphone. So he went and got a droid. He hates it. It reboots constantly on him. Crashes a lot. I thought it would be awesome until i used it. Man does it feel just like a samsung instinct. The browsing is horrible. it feels like windows mobile all over again. Granted it has way more apps (google sky is really cool) its all about the UI. The interface. Once you use an interface like iphone or palm pre. there is no going back to a crappy interface. I think the pres interface is the best. I got the phone on launch day. spent countless hours playing/hacking/patching/theming. I love this thing.

btw jake still has his droid. still complains about it. still wont go back to an iphone though. he loves my phone. lol
    don't do it, gmail sucks on the pre, contact managment sucks on the pre, there's no visual voice mail without a google voice invite, plus no digital compass. You can't download many files because it can't handle .jsp or anything else similar.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corneliused View Post
    don't do it, gmail sucks on the pre, contact managment sucks on the pre, there's no visual voice mail without a google voice invite, plus no digital compass. You can't download many files because it can't handle .jsp or anything else similar.
    There is a thread here for google voice accounts, gmail works perfect, contact management can be done THROUGH gmail (never heard someone complain about how they manage contact info)

The biggest one I cant argue is the digital compass. Digital compass... because when I am buying a phone... that is the FIRST thing I look for. Well, the first thing is the corkscrew, the second is definitely the compass.
    Besides comparing the hardware, I really looked into the two Operating Systems when making my choice. I just picked up the Pre Plus on Monday and I absolutely love it. I work for Best Buy Mobile so I have had plenty of time to use the Droid and other Android devices. Personally I am not a fan of the Android system... I like the different ways people are using it, but in my opinion, it isnt very polished at this point. The screen and processor on the Droid are great, but the rest of the hardware could use some help. The Pre Plus is solid so far. I like the app selection and the homebrew options and patches. It is really fun customizing the phone. Looking forward to 1.4 to be released for the video editing. My only complaint is the battery life, but I could always buy an extended battery or see if the 1.4 release helps. Good luck with your decision!
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    I've got a droid from work and my own personal pre. The droid is kind of cool in some ways, and really stupid in other ways.

The main thing that attracted me to the droid was the physical keyboard, but it is horrible. The pre's is much better even though it's smaller.

The android marketplace is cool, but I had a hard time finding apps that would work on the droid, as most were written for the 1.5/1.6 G1.

I like the widgets and shortcuts of android, but hate that i can't customize how apps are sorted in the app drawer. On my pre i put all the apps i use frequently at the top of the main page, and stuff i don't use much on other pages.

I found the droid annoying when i wanted to close something. The dolphin browser takes 5 finger presses to close. Webkit on my pre is center then swipe up. much quicker. I like how i can tell at a glance on my pre what is running, and don't have to find a task killer app that i like ala droid.
    You mean Android apps aren't backward compatible? Yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by corneliused View Post
    I use all of Google's products and I think it handles Gmail, Google Cal and Contacts GREAT! I have access to all my folders/archives and email is pushed to the device very fast. There is also Youview for visual voicemail, which works with Youmail.com... Their visual voicemail is way better than any carrier visual voicemail. Plus, are you really complaining about a digital compass??? Wow! Posts like that just make you look bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You mean Android apps aren't backward compatible? Yikes.
    Yeah this is a big problem coming out of the Android platform... It is cool that everyone is putting it on multiple devices, but it is fragmenting the market as far as apps go. There is going to be a real problem if they dont fix that soon...
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emedic View Post
    Thanks for all the good replies. I've gone to the vzw store 3 times already and you can only do so much. Everything runs so smooth on the pre plus and the multitasking is a breeze love the calender too
    A few ?'s
    Are there any game system emulators for pre?
    Does the google gps work ok? Not all that interested in payin 10 a monthfor a feature I won't use more than a few times
    How is the web browser compared to other phones?
    To answer the ? Above I really like what the droid has to offer in terms of speed and the screen is amazing but basic things suck, like the battery cover slips off constantly it slides open in your pocket a lot and multitasking is kind of a *****
    1. Yes. There is a gameboy emulator. It plays gameboy, gameboy advance, gameboy color games. It is easy to install jus tlike any other homebrew app.

I believe their is also a nintendo emulator, but I'm not sure about that. The last I heard, you had to do command-line stuff. Although the Terminal app makes that easier, its not as easy as installing a homebrew app. I wouldnt count on this one yet.

2. Google GPS works really well. I use google maps all the time. When you open the app, it shows your current location and a search bar above (I will attach a pic below). Then you can search for whatever you want. It also has satellite view and you can zoom in so you can see the actual buldings and streets. And will give you directions if you want.

3. Web browser works very well. I cant really compare it to the other major smartphones because I havent used their browsers enough, but the Pre doesnt lack anything I need. With flash coming in Feb, that will put it ahead of someof the other platforms. Lack of flash is really kind of annoying.

I also had the opportunity to leave Sprint and webOS in general. I did consider it for a second, switching to the iPhone. But right now, there really are a lot of things other phones cant do as well as my Pre. multitask, notifications, excitement (always looking forward to something in the near future), sanctioned homebrew. I couldnt justify leaving a better all around phone just for more apps. This is the way phones are meant to be. I do wish the screen was larger, but I also like how well it fits in my pocket. So its a give-and-take. All in all, I dont think you will be disappointed if you get yourself a Pre.

there have been hardware issues, but between Palm and Sprint they have been willing to replace my device as many times as it took until I got one I was pleased with. This was a hassle for me, but its better than them sticking it to me. I have heard Verizon hardware is better, but you can't believe that until its been out for about a month or two. I wouldnt let this stop you from getting the Pre, just be aware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yah, unfortunately devs have to write for the phone, not the OS. Android phones vary wildly in processing, graphics, screen resolution, etc. Some 1.5/1.6 apps will work, but there is no guarantee.

Palm has a mild problem like that since the pixi can't run 3D games. But at least they filter apps in the catalog that you can't run.
    Quote Originally Posted by angel12 View Post
    Well, coming from another smartphone power user / developer, they are pretty equal. I love my droid, and i love my pre. They both have upsides, and they both have downsides. My main downside with the pre is the apps. The apps are all basically webpages at the moment, until the PDK is released. So instant messanger apps (like IM+ for instance) are slow and cumbersome. I wish that the built in IM application had more services than just gtalk and AIM, as i use MSN mostly. But multitasking and app management is so much better on the pre, the keyboards are pretty much equal in my opinion (i had one of the random good keyboards on the droid with defined keys, my boss got one with the usual droid keyboard where the keys were all flat, not rounded off like mine) so i would say go play with the pre, if you like the form factor (which i do) then go for it!
    So in your opinion, what are the downsides of the Droid? Just curious.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast