Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just like the iphone and itouch... the app store does have a return policy. You are able to refund apps if you dislike, or unable to use... I have some dislikes, especially X-Plane, that app is a joke to flight simulation... so yeah, why does Palm have a App Catolog return policy?? Thanks...
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I am so mad I bought X-Plane. I would love to return it.
    What about the developers?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Officially, Palm's policy is not refunds, period.

However, some have been able to get refunds via their mobile carrier, particularly where an app makes the Pre/Pixi fail to work. For "I don't like it," it's going to be harder to get a refund.

See my post here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...l-refunds.html

The keys:

(1) When you agreed to use the App Catalog, you agreed to "All Sales Are Final."

(2) Developers do not have your credit card information and often have no information on individual users, so they are not in a good position to do refunds. Some will take you word for it, but be aware that they are losing money (because Palm still takes their cut).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    What about the developers?
    Id it... they will only return if it was purchased at their website... no third party or retailer... Im gonna boycott them for good!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    Id it... they will only return if it was purchased at their website... no third party or retailer... Im gonna boycott them for good!
    I've not used this app, so I have no idea of its quality. However...

As I posted above, developers are unwilling to give refunds simply because they have no records (Palm doesn't provide) of who purchased. They have no way to verify that you actually paid.

Plus, they have no way to verify that you've stopped using the app, unless they coded in a way for them to send a "bullet" to your phone. I'm not positive about this, but Palm may prohibit this behavior anyway.

Plus, they lose out on Palm's cut of what you paid. Which means "I don't like it" turns into a loss for the developer, who loses out on the sale, plus they have to pay you money they're never paid. For example, suppose you paid $10 for an app. The developer gets $7 from Palm. If the developer needs to refund $10, they are in the hole for $3.

I can see punishing developers who intentionally put our junk to rip people off. But why force a developer to lose $3 on everyone that simply didn't like the app?

My opinion is that developers should offer free trials, however.
    Andorid market allows 24 hrs for refund on any app and is a completely automated process. It is rediculous that Palm doesnt offer this and will hurt developers and sales long term.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    android's return policy is ahead of everyone in this game I agree. Palm needs it.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    android's return policy is ahead of everyone in this game I agree. Palm needs it.
    Agreed. I will be much more "selective" in the things I purchase on the Pre+. Still like it pretty good though...
    IamReady
    <><

Ordered 1 32Gb TouchPad on 8-20-11 @ 4:25pm EDT. P/O# 43839XX HP Order# 0305395XX reassigned to HP Order# 035751XX. Received email on 9-2-11 for delivery in 2 weeks. SHIPPED 9-19-11.

Ordered 1 32Gb TouchPad on 8-21-11 @ 10:16pm EDT. P/O# 44305XX HP Order# 0305569XX. Received email on 9-7-11 for delivery in 6-8 weeks.

Picked up a 32Gb TouchPad Demo unit from Walmart on 8-30-11 after much negotiation...and Love it!
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    ... I have some dislikes, especially X-Plane, that app is a joke to flight simulation...
    I could not disagree more. X-Plane is a super flight sim. Their handling of flight dynamics is as good as it gets. The X-plane mobile apps use the same blade-element theory modeling that their FAA certified packages use. X-plane modeling is used by airlines and NASA as well as manufacturers of full-motion flight simulators.

You have to understand that you are using a display that is less than 2" x 3". What the guys who make X-Plane do with that is amazing. I don't know what you were expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Andorid market allows 24 hrs for refund on any app and is a completely automated process. It is rediculous that Palm doesnt offer this and will hurt developers and sales long term.
    This is an AWESOME policy! That essentially means that every app comes with a "24 hour trial". If you don't like, you return it.

However, I see some issues. Just like the Mobile Hot Spot app, once some gets their hands on the code it can be pirated, no?

Just waiting for the other shoe to fall on those who installed the Mobile Hot Sport, I just hope it doesn't fall too hard.
    I am pretty sure you could force them to accept the return if you filed a complaint with your credit card provider. This is a major disappointment to hear and may make me re-think my plans to stick with Palm. Palm, are you listening?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcomp View Post
    I am pretty sure you could force them to accept the return if you filed a complaint with your credit card provider. This is a major disappointment to hear and may make me re-think my plans to stick with Palm. Palm, are you listening?
    Theoretically, here's what'd happen: you file a complaint. The credit card company contacts Palm, who has a standard response ready to go. Specifically, that the customer agreed to TOS that says "all sales are final." At that point, your credit card company denies the refund.

However, in reality, anything can happen. Your credit card company may not bother for a matter of $5 and just let you have it. Or they may not care about the Palm TOS, especially if you cite a misleading description.

This is a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post

Android had to do that because they have major compatibility problems with apps across all the different versions of Android. It is very easy to download a Android app that will not even run on your device.

At least all palm apps will run on your device. Its just a couple of bucks not even worth the trouble of chasing the refund.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Its just a couple of bucks not even worth the trouble of chasing the refund.
    This same argument can be used to show why Palm should just give refunds, on demand. The bad PRPRPR $and$ $the$ $time$ $they$ $spend$ $dealing$ $with$ $folks$ ($like$ $me$) $that$ $want$ $to$ $debate$ $the$ $policy$ $doesn$'$t$ $make$ $it$ $worth$ $it$.

Never use "it's too small an amount of money to bother," because that same argument can be used on the company.
    Palm could very easily hold back on developer payments 24 hours and this way the developer looses nothing and all palm does is refund your purchase. after the 24 hour period developer gets paid.

Fred
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    This same argument can be used to show why Palm should just give refunds, on demand. The bad PRPRPR $and$ $the$ $time$ $they$ $spend$ $dealing$ $with$ $folks$ ($like$ $me$) $that$ $want$ $to$ $debate$ $the$ $policy$ $doesn$'$t$ $make$ $it$ $worth$ $it$.

Never use "it's too small an amount of money to bother," because that same argument can be used on the company.
    If you went to Best Buy and bought a video game and brought it home and played it for an hour and tried to return it you wouldn't be able to. Why should this be any different?

I don't buy any type of software without first reading the reviews to make sure it's a good item. Then if I'm unhappy I would post a review to that effect, but I don't see why you should be allowed a refund just becasue you didn't like a game or a program?
    Refunds definitely come from Palm itself!

I was able to get refunds on apps because I had deleted my 'profile account' by mistake.

All your apps are stored there, so if you blow your Profile, you will have to pay for those apps all over again. A big problem that Palm was not aware of until me.

So they refunded me all of my money for all my apps purchased at that point.

All I had to do was fax a copy of my email receipts that I received from Palm.

I spoke with the customer service rep, and he refunded all of money and then I re-purchased my app again, to get my new profile to have the data stored correctly.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieq View Post
    If you went to Best Buy and bought a video game and brought it home and played it for an hour and tried to return it you wouldn't be able to. Why should this be any different?

I don't buy any type of software without first reading the reviews to make sure it's a good item. Then if I'm unhappy I would post a review to that effect, but I don't see why you should be allowed a refund just becasue you didn't like a game or a program?
    Several things.

(1) Palm has the means to remove the app from your device. Best Buy cannot remove the software from your computer.

(2) Best Buy is not the exclusive distribution channel. Palm is the only official distribution channel for WebOS apps.

(3) The ability to return a product that has been misrepresented is common outside of the software space. I won't accept the argument "you should have read reviews" from anyone that returns products to Target, whatever. Have you ever returned a product (that you purchased)?

(4) I've found that the "reviews" are pretty useless. People give good reviews to products that they find "funny" and they give bad reviews to products that don't install due a WebOS issue.

(5) Palm provides no mechanism to request that an app be pulled for misrepresentation. The "report a problem" function in the App Catalog does not send a message to Palm. It simply posts a review. I know, I've done this. In legal circles, Palm's not responding in a timely manner to complaints of misrepresentation can make them complicit in that misrepresentation.

(6) There is a history of mobile device software "stores" offering refunds, and continues to be so.

(7) The "all sales are final" approach discourages developers from making trialware. I purchased a good amount of software for PalmOS and the Blackberry, but only after being able to run trials. I'd rather pay $20 for an excellent piece of software that I've been able to try on my device under my usage patterns, than $5 for a product that I'm not able to try beforehand.

(8) As I point out in #7, reviews don't matter when they talk about someone else's experience. An app may get terrible reviews, but until I actually install it and try it, I have no idea if I'll find it terrible... or excellent. I've used many products that have been panned, but worked beautifully for my needs. I've also had products that have received glowing reviews, but failed to work for me.

(9) Pay is taking a cut. While the difference may be subtle, the way that Palm sells software is very different from Best Buy.

(10) A developer cannot give a refund. If they do, they still owe Palm their cut. Which means that a developer cannot, without losing money, do the right thing by a customer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast