Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I prefer to use WOSQI to install my patches. With the new technology for not having to install the patches, will I still be able to take advantage of the new technology if I am not using Preware.

Also, does it matter if a patch is installed one way versus the other? I seem to have better luck with WOSQI.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    preware also includes the new technology. i prefer preware cus you can install anything on the go.
    Yes it is necessary. This is a smartphone and should be able to operate without having to be physically tethered to a PC. Preware does everything OTA.

This would be akin to Palm saying they are releasing their updates that can only be installed by downloading to your PC, hooking up via USB and running the update.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    For convenience purposes, yes.
    From what I gather the individual patches have been updated, so as long as you install the latest versions via whichever method should be fine. However preware is obviously the easiest way to do this. Not 100% on this so don't quote me.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Preware checks for dependancies where as QI does not
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    Preware checks for dependancies where as QI does not
    Need to keep up. Jason tweeted yesterday that WebOS Quick Install ver. 3 will fully support AUPT:

Twitter / Jason Robitaille: Looks like the cat's out o ...

He said ver 3 will be out today or tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yes it is necessary. This is a smartphone and should be able to operate without having to be physically tethered to a PC. Preware does everything OTA.

This would be akin to Palm saying they are releasing their updates that can only be installed by downloading to your PC, hooking up via USB and running the update.
    In your opinion...

For those who prefer WebOS Quick Install, it should be updated in the next day or so. See above.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    In your opinion...

For those who prefer WebOS Quick Install, it should be updated in the next day or so. See above.
    How will this update enable WOSQI to do updates OTA? That was the purpose of my post, OTA updates are very, very beneficial. You MUST use the USB cable to use WOSQI, there is just no way around it. Just because Jason updated WOSQI to use the new AUPT mechanism doesn't suddenly break its dependence on cabling it to your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    How will this update enable WOSQI to do updates OTA? That was the purpose of my post, OTA updates are very, very beneficial. You MUST use the USB cable to use WOSQI, there is just no way around it. Just because Jason updated WOSQI to use the new AUPT mechanism doesn't suddenly break its dependence on cabling it to your computer.
    Regardless of whether Preware or WOSQI is used, AUPT simply enables OTA webOS updates to be installed without having to remove patches first. It has nothing to do with WOSQI doing OTA updates. No such thing. Preware can do OTA updates because it is on the device, but each system has benefits and I find that they complement each other. There is no competition, it is simply a question of which system works best for each individual (or if, like me, that individual chooses to use both).
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Regardless of whether Preware or WOSQI is used, AUPT simply enables OTA webOS updates to be installed without having to remove patches first. It has nothing to do with WOSQI doing OTA updates. No such thing. Preware can do OTA updates because it is on the device, but each system has benefits and I find that they complement each other. There is no competition, it is simply a question of which system works best for each individual (or if, like me, that individual chooses to use both).
    Blaize, you are quite correct, my mistake, what I really meant to say was that Preware allows installing patches, homebrew, and themes OTA (not updates, doh!, all updates are OTA and have nothing to do with Preware or WOSQI).
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    My point exactly. The OP expressed a preference for WOSQI and I believe that he will not miss out if he sticks with it.

Personally, I like and use both of them.