1.    #1  
    Hi Guys....FINALLYYYY!! I have been wating since last summer to get my hands on this beauty and it was worth the wait!!! Stunning device!!

Im sure ill have many questions but here is my first. Does installing preware have any side effects? Im coming from WinMo so every patch you do makes the phone act crazy hahaha.

Also, is preware an absolutel necessity to run homebrew apps?

Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by glevitan View Post
    Hi Guys....FINALLYYYY!! I have been wating since last summer to get my hands on this beauty and it was worth the wait!!! Stunning device!!

Im sure ill have many questions but here is my first. Does installing preware have any side effects? Im coming from WinMo so every patch you do makes the phone act crazy hahaha. Preware its self does not have any side effects. What you install with Preware might(e.g. Patches & Themes), but most of the time no. I have never had issues with the Patches... which I think really should be called MODS, but every theme I have installed I have trouble uninstalling.

Also, is preware an absolutel necessity to run homebrew apps? EDIT :Absolutel necessity No Must have IMO YES.

Thanks guys!
    Comments Above.
    Last edited by gobanjoboy; 01/28/2010 at 10:03 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thats great thank you!! I might still hold off....i have a bit of post traumatic stress from my horrific Windows Mobile experience. I installed 6.5 flashes with nightmare results....so happy to be free!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    Comments Above.
    I disagree about Preware being absolutely necessary for running homebrew. I was using WebOS Quick Install to install homebrew apps before I had even heard of Preware. And I used WOSQI when I did install Preware.

From a practical standpoint, both WOSQI and Preware are useful in running homebrew apps, patches and themes. The new AUPT capability might tip the balance in favor of Preware, but I understand that WOSQI ver. 3 will be AUPT compliant.

By the way, welcome to PreCentral, Glevitan.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I disagree about Preware being absolutely necessary for running homebrew. I was using WebOS Quick Install to install homebrew apps before I had even heard of Preware. And I used WOSQI when I did install Preware.

From a practical standpoint, both WOSQI and Preware are useful in running homebrew apps, patches and themes. The new AUPT capability might tip the balance in favor of Preware, but I understand that WOSQI ver. 3 will be AUPT compliant.

By the way, welcome to PreCentral, Glevitan.
    I agree with you. I miss read his question. I would say WOSQI is more of a absolute necessity. That is if one doesn't want to install apps via desktop command line. WOSQI is a good starting point.
  6.    #6  
    Great info guys....with the other app you can isntall homebrew apps right through your phone?? Id rather not use desktop command line.

BTW....is a screen protector asbolutely essential?? I hate how they look and i normally find it doesnt protect the screen that much anyway. i dont care about finger prints, and i usualyl take excellent care of my devices.
    Great info guys....with the other app you can isntall homebrew apps right through your phone?? Id rather not use desktop command line.
    There really is no desktop command line you have to deal with for WebOS quickinstall. It is all GUI based. Preware is nice in that it doesnt really the use of a desktop to install/update homebrew and patches at all after it is installed.

Either way is fairly easy for using homebrew. After using both, I tend to prefer preware for its ease in downloading homebrew and not having to worry about developer mode after its installed.

BTW....is a screen protector asbolutely essential?? I hate how they look and i normally find it doesnt protect the screen that much anyway. i dont care about finger prints, and i usualyl take excellent care of my devices.
    Just don't put it in your pocket. You will get hairline scratches everywhere. That kind of stuff irritates me greatly, but to some it doesn't matter.

Installing via WebOs Quickinstall is great. Just be careful to not mix methods. If you install a patch/theme via Preware, remove it that way. Same goes fro WebOs Quick Install.

Good luck, and welcome.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I don't use any kind of screen protector, but I try to always store my phone in its original "sleeping bag."
    Preware and wOSQI are good complements; wOSQI has more robust management tools (and is needed to install Preware in the first place), but Preware enables much of the management of apps, patches, etc. on the device itself, as when an update is pushed out and (until recently, anyway) patches needed to be uninstalled before the update and reinstalled afterwards. With Preware, that could/can be done on-device. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I replaced my phone once but I was rocking a phantom SKinz originally...now going naked. I have ONE hairline scratch i only see when the screen is off but other than that, if you are careful...no issues.