Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i've had a lot of palm products over many years (note my username) and was excited to upgrade from my 700p to the verizon pre plus. i've had it three days so far....

on the positive side, it sure looks cool, and boy do i love the intuitiveness of the operating system. and its great to get to use cool apps that everyone else has been using on their phones but that my treo couldnt support.

but... so many little things frustrate me about this new phone of mine! the speakerphone is awful... the battery life is terrible... and little things like - how to ignore a call when it comes, or move the cursor where i want quickly, or prevent the touchscreen from hanging up on people while i talk to them cuz it brushes against my cheek... and the lag time between apps is so very frustrating....

it didnt help that my verizon salesman tried hard to talk me out of buying a pre - convinced that it wont hold up and that i'd be better off with a droid...

and now my work exchange server isnt syncing with the pre so i might have to return it anyway...

so now i'm going to search the forums for hacks to solve these issues, but i thought i'd post this first just in case there's a chance that Palm execs are reading and wondering what the first impressions of the palm faithful have been....
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Buy an extra 1350mAh battery and a battery charger. It's the best solution yet.
    your face shouldnt be doing anything on the screen, its supposed to turn off when you put it close to your face
    I use smartflex foe my phone. It helps.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    are you updated to 1.3.5.1? Your battery life will increase greatly when you do.
    It is absolutely essential to get a Mugen 1400 battery to get about a 15-20% improvement over the stock battery.

Also, these homebrew Apps are must have's:

- Data Toggle
    - GPS Toggle
    - Brightness Unlinked
    - Battery Monitor
    - Battery Saver

Then browse these forums for valuable tips and tweaks:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...5-minutes.html
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by visorhawk View Post
    the speakerphone is awful...
    yes, yes it is. can't help you with that one.

the battery life is terrible...
    give it a few days. mine took nearly a full weeks worth of use for the battery life to seem anything but abysmal

how to ignore a call when it comes,
    if you're using the phone, you press the giant red button. if the phone is locked, you press the on/off button once to stop the ringer, press it a second time to ignore the call

or move the cursor where i want quickly
    you can either tap to where you want to go, or press the rectangle button, and then swipe in the direction you want the cursor to move (you don't have to swipe on the cursor itself.. anywhere on the screen works) Perhaps you already know this, because I will agree, it's not the most accurate cursor movement, but it's not terrible.

or prevent the touchscreen from hanging up on people while i talk to them cuz it brushes against my cheek...
    that shouldn't happen. make sure your proximity sensor is working by placing your hand over the earpiece while on a call (not on speakerphone though). the screen should shut off. if it's not, then you need to exchange your phone.

and the lag time between apps is so very frustrating....
    just leave the apps open. remember, the phone can multitask. if you leave them open, when you click on the icon to run them, they start up immediately. as long as the app doesn't do a lot in the background, it wont eat up nearly any battery life at all.

hopefully this helps.

also, before they were on sale, I stoped by a best buy and asked if the pre's for verizon off contract would be about the same price as on sprint, and the girl said most likely. i replied that I wasn't sure if it was worth that, and she came back with "especially for that phone"

I don't know what people have against the pre, but apparently they don't want people to buy it...
  8.    #8  
    thanks all... definitely having face-to-touch screen issues... hangups and constant attempts to add contacts... also, whats smartflex foe? and yes i'm 1.3.5.1...

is there a way to improve the speakerphone? so how do you ignore a call (send a call quickly to voicemail) like I did on my treo? and did you guys all just snap off the goofy little door on the usb port?

but... so many little things frustrate me about this new phone of mine! the speakerphone is awful...
    ive had better and worse. its middle of the road for me.

the battery life is terrible...
    it's not the best, of course depending on use, but it really does take a solid week to settle in.

and little things like - how to ignore a call when it comes,
    whats wrong with this? are you just not used to the method?

or move the cursor where i want quickly,
    touchscreen for ya.

or prevent the touchscreen from hanging up on people while i talk to them cuz it brushes against my cheek...
    that shouldnt be happening.

and the lag time between apps is so very frustrating....
    its not bad at all. in fact, when im with my brother who has a Pixi, whenever i open an app i always mockingly curse the time it takes to open. we both roll our eyes at the complainers and laugh. no offense to you.

it didnt help that my verizon salesman tried hard to talk me out of buying a pre - convinced that it wont hold up and that i'd be better off with a droid...
    its good to see that Verizon has stopped pushing only LG products.

and now my work exchange server isnt syncing with the pre so i might have to return it anyway...
    id stick with Windows Mobile or an iPhone if Exchange support is critical.

so now i'm going to search the forums for hacks to solve these issues, but i thought i'd post this first just in case there's a chance that Palm execs are reading and wondering what the first impressions of the palm faithful have been....
    good luck. the hacks are a huge part of the fun of this OS.
  10.    #10  
    thanks pomokey! so the battery actually gets better over time??
    so how do you ignore a call (send a call quickly to voicemail) like I did on my treo? and did you guys all just snap off the goofy little door on the usb port?
    Double-press the power button. 1st press silences ringer, 2nd sends it to VM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Double-press the power button. 1st press silences ringer, 2nd sends it to VM.
    good to know - thanks - so not intuitive....
    good to know - thanks - so not intuitive....
    Lots of little quirks, but once you pick them up they become natural.

As an example, a few of my co-workers didn't know you could swipe up from the gesture area to minimize a card. I mentioned that I never use the center button (means nothing to you + people), and they gave me a funny look and asked how I close apps then.
    to ignore a call hit the red button on the screen
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    as for the usb port cover, if you haven't tried this yet... slide the phone open before taking it off, it's a lot easier that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    as for the usb port cover, if you haven't tried this yet... slide the phone open before taking it off, it's a lot easier that way.
    yeah, and buy a Touchstone if you can.
    Just want to reiterate what others have said: it sounds like your proximity sensor isn't functioning correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    id stick with Windows Mobile or an iPhone if Exchange support is critical.
    I can't speak for the iPhone (although I remember reading about it having its own Exchange issues), but I must say that the single worst experience I've had with connecting to Exchange was with my two Windows Mobile phones (HTC Mogul and Touch Pro). I simply could not get either of them to consistently stay connected to email and the calendar--when I got one working, the other seemed to stop working.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I can't speak for the iPhone (although I remember reading about it having its own Exchange issues), but I must say that the single worst experience I've had with connecting to Exchange was with my two Windows Mobile phones (HTC Mogul and Touch Pro). I simply could not get either of them to consistently stay connected to email and the calendar--when I got one working, the other seemed to stop working.
    i think the problem is Exchange sucks.

i guess i should say ive had the least problems with those two platforms. i wasnt trying to imply that they were perfect.

cheers though!
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I don't know what people have against the pre, but apparently they don't want people to buy it...
    they all haters...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast