Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    it's odd. Verizon sales folks seem to discourage Pre Plus purchases and encourage Droid purchases.

that's marketing for ya, these non-technical folks are absolutely positive that the Droid is the best phone out. I've had it for 2 months and I can say that I am completely stoked to have the Pre Plus now. though I wish the hardware build was more firm....
    You can test the all of the functions of the Pre (like proximity sensor) by opening the 'Device Info' icon and swiping down in the upper left corner (Preferences). You can choose between 'Quick Tests' and 'Interactive Tests' to check the functions of your phone to see if there is actually an issue with the proximity sensor not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by yyandrew View Post
    I've had it for 2 months and I can say that I am completely stoked to have the Pre Plus now. though I wish the hardware build was more firm....
    Oh yeah, on that hardware issue... for you Verizon folk out there: do yourself a favor and get a case and a screen protector. It's cheap insurance.

Body Glove makes a great case you can pick up on ebay for less than $14 shipped and Nu-Shield makes a customizable screen protector.

Edit: After 4 months the Nu-Shield wore down and had to be replaced. I do NOT recommend.
    Last edited by foosball; 10/07/2010 at 10:38 PM.
    if you haven't done so...install preware...there's a patch that lets you send any call you really don't want to answer...location is preware->patches->phone->call block/ignore (something in that nature). The patch tells you to create a contact...name it 'Do Not Answer' (w/o apostrophes)...add any number you don't want to answer...sends them to vm and still tells you they called in call log.
    speakerphone is ok...maybe bad proximity sensor??? Shouldn't do dat unless you have it on speakerphone.
    can't believe they not trying to push pre/pixi+ more than just bad mouthing it...BIG SHAME..webOS RULEZ all others.
    usb door started to be bothersome..especially w/ new case I put on...so broke down and got touchstone kit while it was on sale at bb...case takes away oreo effect and adds lil bulk..but is touchstone compatible. Got it from sprint store...sorta henders sliding action tho...but will get better over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Oh yeah, on that hardware issue... for you Verizon folk out there: do yourself a favor and get a case and a screen protector. It's cheap insurance.

Body Glove makes a great case you can pick up on ebay for less than $14 shipped and Nu-Shield makes a customizable screen protector.
    And it takes away usability and causes more problems.

My advice is, don't worry about it. Use your Pre as it was intended and forget the silly cases and screen protectors. Use common sense and don't put it in pocket with keys or metal objects. You'll be fine. And since you'll most likely have to exchange it multiple times anyways, it's not worth worrying about.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

My advice is, don't worry about it. Use your Pre as it was intended and forget the silly cases and screen protectors. Use common sense and don't put it in pocket with keys or metal objects. You'll be fine. And since you'll most likely have to exchange it multiple times anyways, it's not worth worrying about.
    I would say the exchanging issue is very subjective. I've had my Pre since August with no issues. I don't personally know anyone who has had replacements...and yes i do know multiple people with Pres and Pixis lol.

I use a screen protector, and at work keep it in a holster, in the felt pouch all other times.

Anyhow, to the OP. Battery life is not great, but should improve. I've experienced slight glitches with Exchange support for it works in general. Definitely look into the prox. sensor issue, if that is defective it will really decrease the usability of the phone.
    I keep it in the little pouch that came with it and I haven't had any issues with it. What exactly is this oreo effect everyone is talking about? Have people accidently ingested the phone? I know it looks nice, but sheesh. Dont be putting your phone in your mouth..
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    id stick with Windows Mobile or an iPhone if Exchange support is critical.
    I have been using Exchange for my work email, calendars and contacts and it is working great! I have access to all my folders and the email comes in very fast as well as calendar changes. From my experience, it is at least as good as the iPhone 3.0 software... Just my 2 cents...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Or, maybe having a screen protector may mean they won't have to take it back several times...
    I had no screen protector for the first two weeks, and have had one ever since. It takes nothing away from usability. I'd hazard a guess that I've had fewer problems and more usability from mine than you did yours.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiedhouse View Post
    I have been using Exchange for my work email, calendars and contacts and it is working great! I have access to all my folders and the email comes in very fast as well as calendar changes. From my experience, it is at least as good as the iPhone 3.0 software... Just my 2 cents...
    Same here, exchange support has been flawless and literally saved my a** on multiple occasions when I have forgotten about meetings, server maintenance and other tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by visorhawk View Post
    thanks pomokey! so the battery actually gets better over time??
    I assume you're using GMail, Facebook, etc.? Have a lot of contacts, emails, etc.? If so, then yes, the battery should get much better by week 2. A big problem is that when you first get the phone and are doing that first sync, the phone is syncing up those contacts, e-mails, calendar events, etc. and is sucking up a ton of data which destroys battery life. I mentioned in another thread that we'd get another wave of complaints from new Pre Plus users who aren't aware of this problem.

Once the initial data suck has completed and the battery has settled in, the battery life should improve greatly. I'm in LA (with a decently strong signal), and with moderate use, I can get as much as a day and a half of use between charges. (However, I typically charge nightly.) I also carry a spare Centro battery ($5-6 bucks off of eBay) as insurance if I'm going to have a heavy usage day. I've only had to swap out the battery a half-dozen times or so over 7+ months, and not once since Thanksgiving. Your mileage may vary.
  12.    #32  
    thanks so much, all, for your tips and advice. interestingly enough, i've ended up spending a lot of time on the phone palm tech support (who is excellent and very responsive, btw), and it turns out my exchange server issue is a known issue that others are having and will be fixed with os1.4 which they said will go live on 2/7...
    thanks so much, all, for your tips and advice. interestingly enough, i've ended up spending a lot of time on the phone palm tech support (who is excellent and very responsive, btw), and it turns out my exchange server issue is a known issue that others are having and will be fixed with os1.4 which they said will go live on 2/7...
    a date was given for 1.4? ooooh, that's exciting!

sorry i didn't add much. it sounds like most of your issues were addressed as well as they can be at this point. i hope it all gets sorted quickly so that you can enjoy your phone as much as most of us here!
    which they said will go live on 2/7...
    i doubt it but hopefully
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ...or prevent the touchscreen from hanging up on people while i talk to them cuz it brushes against my cheek...
    You didn't happen to leave on the clear plastic sheet that came with the phone, did you?

When my wife and I each got a Pre on Sprint on June 6th she left on the plastic cover (as she does with all new electronic devices -- don't ask). It created issues with the proximity sensor similar to what you described. As soon as I peeled it off her phone the issue went away.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Oh, and I think another reason we all had abysmal battery life the first few weeks was that the Pre is so addicting, that none of us COULD PUT THE DARN THING DOWN!
    I have a form fitting screen protector. It works well and adds almost no weight or bulk. It makes zero difference in the operation. The key advantage (other than worrying less about scratches) is that the sceen is a fingerprint magnet, but the protector isn't.

I've had the Pre since a week after it came out, and my battery life is dramatically better than it was. Sadly, I think the main difference is that I've stopped running Classic, which seems to have been both a memory hog and a power hog. But some system upgrades and a 3rd party bettery helped, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Oh, and I think another reason we all had abysmal battery life the first few weeks was that the Pre is so addicting, that none of us COULD PUT THE DARN THING DOWN!
    Yeah, I think that's my problem. I'll leave it for 6 hours off the charger with very light use and still have like 95% battery left. If I sit down to surf for 2 hours or so, down to 75-80% (or less depending on how many processes I have running).

I have to remember that my last phone didn't have these capabilities ergo, it could hold a charge for 5 days.
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Touchstone is key! I know I would break the USB door if I had to use it regularly.
    If pressing a button to ignore a call is not what you want to do, how do you want it to work?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12