Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre for about 6 months now and I have to admit that I do not done a lot of browsing with the phone. However, the other day I was at my son's flag football practice and was getting a little bored, so logged into PreCentral to catch up on things. I accessed the mobile web page, and found that it was fairly usable when I turned my phone to horizontal mode. However, when I went to type a thread response the Pre reverted to the vertical screen which was almost impossible to read what I was typing.

There has to be some kind of trick here. How do other Pre users deal with the PreCentral forums where you need to type and browse?
    pinch & zoom?
    No that's one of the complaints about the current implementation. Hopefully there will be an auto-scroll feature that comes up in 1.4, but until then you'll just have to either type and just read over it afterward or just pause to move the screen when you fall off the edge.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I used the "Type Writer Effect" that needs to be fixed.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    pinch & zoom?
    When you pinch and zoom to read you cut off the text. I tried that and double clicking. I either get text that is too small to read or I cut off the text. I can read with out cutting off if I turn the phone sideways, but then typing gets a little awkward to say the least.
    are you sure you're on the mobile page? It should be readable in portrait mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    No that's one of the complaints about the current implementation. Hopefully there will be an auto-scroll feature that comes up in 1.4, but until then you'll just have to either type and just read over it afterward or just pause to move the screen when you fall off the edge.
    plus one
    I find that staying out of portriat (using the open slider locks mode patchy thing) tends to help. If text is out of place inside of a window, click inside the box (like precentrals reply, not the general reply @ the bottom), I press and hold arrow and it scrolls inside the box by using palms implemented copy & paste. Of course, be careful not to turn everything yellow and type as it will delete what you typed...

edit: I just reread what your talking about. Seems your text is to small forr you. I was just to stupid (occupied w/ tv) to understand what you were saying. Disreguard. :-)
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonJames View Post
    are you sure you're on the mobile page? It should be readable in portrait mode.
    The text is very small in portrait mode. It is definitely readable with a magnifying glass, but I normally don't carry a magnifying glass around with me. About 5 years ago I could read this kind of stuff with no trouble, but now even with reading glasses it is kind of hopeless.

Landscape mode is about perfect for me, but then the typing...

I was wondering if there was some kind of secret. Sounds like maybe not.
    i dont have the best eyes but i have no problem seeing the small font because its so crisp. just cant hold it far from my face
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    The text is very small in portrait mode. It is definitely readable with a magnifying glass, but I normally don't carry a magnifying glass around with me. About 5 years ago I could read this kind of stuff with no trouble, but now even with reading glasses it is kind of hopeless.

Landscape mode is about perfect for me, but then the typing...

I was wondering if there was some kind of secret. Sounds like maybe not.
    I would encourage you to try bifocals or talk to an optometrist about the incontinence of having to find reading glasses for general day use. There are even eye exercises which are supposed to strengthen your reading vision if you want to try that.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    i dont have the best eyes but i have no problem seeing the small font because its so crisp. just cant hold it far from my face
    If you guys are over 40 (BTW, I'm way over 40) and you're not already wearing reading glasses, maybe it's time to give them a try.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I would encourage you to try bifocals or talk to an optometrist about the incontinence of having to find reading glasses for general day use. There are even eye exercises which are supposed to strengthen your reading vision if you want to try that.
    Yeah. That is probably the right answer. I think that the Pre in portrait mode will definitely push the limits of bifocals. I've tried on some really powerful glasses and I have to say that the Pre screen looks amazing. But, there was no way that those would work for computer viewing which is what I use the glasses for most often. I've talk to friends and about half recommend separate glasses and half progressive lenses.

Aging eyes just suck. It wasn't so long ago that I could read super small text in the dark with no problems.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I think the word is inconvenience, incontinence is the inability to control your bladder or stools. That would be an awkward situation if he messed himself every time he went to find his glasses.
    Yeah I made a similar post about this - I'm really hoping for an autoscroll that follows the cursor. Shouldn't be too hard for Palm to figure out. It could be solved by just allowing you to pinch-out but it deactivates the textbox when you do that currently.
    Double tapping re-sizes the box to fit the screen that you're typing in. This way, your text won't fall off the screen.
    I always have contacts on, so i don't know how bad it is once you re-size by double tapping, but it works for me.
    I've learnt to use the keyboard while the Pre is in Landscape mode. It's not impossible, but a little weird to start with.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    You know I've been playing with other phones and thinking. I really seems that the Treo had the form factor one nailed. I'm now convinced that the idea phone display for web surfing would be closer to square and maybe even slightly landscape. I know that the Blackberry phone are far from the best web browsing machines, but I do like the fact that the displays are wider than they are tall. I just find that the Pre, in particular, is very awkward to hold, manipulate or type when you turn it sideways in it's open position.

I wonder if Palm has anything like that in the works?

EDIT:

One other thing -- does anybody know what the equivalent point size is when viewing the PreCentral mobile web site in either portrait or landscape mode. I know that my eyes are not perfect, but I don't have problems with reading other things with even very small text.

LAST EDIT:

I everybody shoudl vote me for the PreCentral Knucklehead Award. There are two mobile links in the email notifications, and I was clicking on the first one. I tried the second link today with my new Pixi Plus and this worked perfect -- even in portrait mode. So, I am a happy camper now.
    Last edited by miata; 01/31/2010 at 03:05 PM.