1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

This is my first post on here. I just picked up the Pre Plus from Verizon yesterday and, so far, I really like it. However, it is kind of laggy when scrolling through contacts and other programs. Also, sometimes it takes the accelerometer a while to kick in. I've also noticed that youtube videos take a REALLY long time to load using Verizon's 3G service. Is this all normal? Thanks for your help guys!

~fred
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    yeah it is atleast until the update to 1.4 in a few weeks, otherwise you can install preware and apply certain patches to help work around certain issues with the phone.
    Fred,
    I have the Pre not the Plus and at times when scrolling through my contacts I get the lag. Not all the time though.

I have found that if you hold the Pre straight up and down when turning the phone on its side the accelerometer will kick in a lot faster.

There is an interactive test that can reprogram it for you. Go to Device Info and bring down the menu and choose Interactive test and use the screen test.

It might just be verizon's network for your youtube video but I really have no idea on that one. /

Hope this helps.
    - Skinneejay -
    Can't speak on the Youtube but yes the UI can be a little laggy. I played with my friend's Droid the other day and while it is smoother I still prefer my Pre by a large margin. Coming from a Winmo phone however the Pre is silky smooth. You'll get used to it. 1.4 is coming out next month so hopefully it will get a little better. The Pre is getting updates about every 40 days and with each one it has gotten a little better. Its still a new OS with a lot of promise just give it a little time to catch up. I think its improving faster than its competitors so it won't be behind for long.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    The Pre in general is laggy, at times. More processing power/optimized software can fix this.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks so much guys. I appreciate the quick replies. I just wanted to make sure I didn't get a lemon. I'm hard to please so nothing against the Pre Plus, it's a great device. Hopefully 1.4 will help make it even better. Cheers

~fred
    Don't listen to these suggestions. Nothing will fix the lag that is available now, they'll tell you reset, add this or that patch, etc... We've been holding our breath on the lag fix, and it hasn't happened... Wait till you experience the Build Quality (TM) issues...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Don't listen to these suggestions. Nothing will fix the lag that is available now, they'll tell you reset, add this or that patch, etc... We've been holding our breath on the lag fix, and it hasn't happened... Wait till you experience the Build Quality (TM) issues...
    Ouch!

I'm going to assume that there's some history there. If I had to guess, related to build quality. I had some issues as well - a dead touchscreen, out of the blue, on an otherwise perfect device.

That being the case, I knew that I was buying an early release and went in with both eyes open. When issues occurred Sprint/Palm always worked quickly to correct them. It's my understanding that the most glaring build issues have been corrected on the Pre Plus (oreo, slider, etc); in all likelihood the OP will never experience them.

The scroll-lag issue (not an issue for me, but it has been well documented) will certainly be fixed. There is nothing inherent in the Pre's hardware design that precludes this. And Palm has been phenomenally responsive with updates compared to other manufacturers.
    I just added a request to the patch forum asking for one that would make long pages snap instead of scroll. I imagine that it may be a work around for the lag.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Don't listen to these suggestions. Nothing will fix the lag that is available now, they'll tell you reset, add this or that patch, etc... We've been holding our breath on the lag fix, and it hasn't happened...
    I agree, specially if you've used an iPod/iPhone, the scrolling and overall UI fluidity is just nowhere near as smooth. Since the Pre (and Pre+) both use the same processor as the iPhone 3GS, hopefully further WebOS code tweaks will bring it up to par -or perhaps that's a price to pay for multi-tasking?...

Wait till you experience the Build Quality (TM) issues...
    Now THAT I don't agree with.
    Reading a couple of certain posts, no names but I have never really experienced much lag with my Pre. Quite honestly this thing runs as smooth as my roomys Iphone that he is actually ditching for the Pre Plus. So to the two guys who commented the lag, major exageration or trolling one of the two.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Reading a couple of certain posts, no names but I have never really experienced much lag with my Pre. Quite honestly this thing runs as smooth as my roomys Iphone that he is actually ditching for the Pre Plus. So to the two guys who commented the lag, major exageration or trolling one of the two.
    It is a little laggy to be honest and no I'm not trolling. I still prefer it over my iPhone though.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The phone app is especially laggy. seems to me that Palm should just fix that first. With PalmOS patience is golden.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I don't have any problems with the phone app...
    ... but yes scrolling through menus is kinda' laggy.

I just added like 5 more patches and I experience a bit more but that might be placebo effect.

Right now, yes there's lag... It can be fixed through software optimization I'm SURE... because we have the same processor as the Iphone / Droid... just clocked lower?
    Let's hope 1.4 fixes stuff like that.
    My understanding is that the lag is a direct result of the UI not utilizing the GPU which can be addressed in later updates (Hopefully 1.4 ) that being said, I really don't have any lag issues, no where near as much as I had on an HTC hero and only marginally more than my iphone 3gs.
    it isnt necessarily a result of not using the gpu.

There is a delay in movement by design. The phnoe has about a ten pixel buffer until movement kicks in.

I read that they were gonig to change it to 1:1 movement as requested soon but nothing official.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    perhaps that's a price to pay for multi-tasking?
    I think this is the case. As soon as I jailbroke my iPod touch and started trying to multitask, responsiveness and smoothness of the UI went down the toilet.

I'll take gladly take multitasking over an always smooth UI. I haven't been stuck using one app at a time on my computer since the DOS days and I don't see why my phone should be any different, especially with all of the tasks smartphones do these days.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Really the only time I get lag when scrolling through stuff is when I am trying to speed scroll. So I open contacts and know I am going down to the L's and start swiping like crazy, or in call history I am scrolling as fast as possible to get down to calls from last week. Slow/normal scrolling is never laggy.
    ITs not as smooth as the iPhone (since its all coded sans the GPU) but it isn't "laggy" to me.

Laggy is Samsung Instinct haha.