1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I've been VERY interested in webOS for many months now. I've been reading PreCentral, listing to the Palmcast, and learning my way around webOS with the emulator. That being said, I don't actually actually have a Pre or Pixi. I never even managed to try one out in person. Until today. So todayI went out and tried the Pre+ and Pixi+ in a store. The Pixi+ was not fully activated (It was still on the Palm Profile setup screen), but I could try out the keyboard and see how it went. The Pre+ was ready to go. I tried typing on it, and, to be honest, it was just terrible. I am cursed with a set of enormous thumbs, and typing on the Pre+ felt like the equivalent of walking on a clothesline. It was just too cramped. The small, small size of the keys, compounded with the lack of spacing between the keys made it a terrible experience. My thumbs also bumped against the top of the slider way too many times. Then I tried typing on a Pixi. It was a lot better. Yes, it was still too small, but it was something I thought I might be able to adjust to. Then i tried typing on a BlackBerry Curve. It was great. My thumbs could "breathe." The BlackBerry's OS, however, is terrible, especially compared to webOS. Point is, I think I could get used to the Pixi's keyboard quickly enough, but it's just too slow and not powerful enough for my needs. I'm a geek, I like power in a smartphone. Plus I love the screen size of the Pre Plus. I love the Pre+, but the keyboard is a killer. Now, rambling aside, did anyone else feel like this when they first started using the Pre Plus's (or regular Pre's) keyboard? Did you adjust to it? If so, how long did it take? Thanks in advance.
    Oh, also, is there a patch to add AutoCorrect to webOS? I made quite a few typos with my fat thumbs while typing, and going back and fixing them bit by bit is a real pain.
    was this post really that pointless or am i not getting something
    try typing with ur nails instead of the meat of ur thumbs... works well for me... but i do have normal sized thumbs so...
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Believe me it is like any other phone or tool....whether it is a wrench, saw, phone, or laptop. You get accustomed and quick. The Pixi is def nicer out of the two....but the Pre isn't bad and within a day or so, you won't even notice the size. I went from feeling, "oh man what did I get myself into?" To typing faster on an original Pre than any other phone I have owned before.
    i have big thumbs...took me a week or so...and now i love it
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

took me 2 days to get used to it moving from a treo 800w and treo pro and there is a patch for auto correct in preware

my hands are big enough to grip a basketball so put that in context of how fast you can get used to it
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    took me a day to get used to it from the samsung f700v, which has a landscape keyboard so very wide and spaced out. It really doesnt take much, and I actually find it easier to type on then my friends blackberry bold (the new one)
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Seb or Sam, just like you I've been reading articles and reviews after reviews and have been highly anticipating for the launch of Pre (+). My only worries were the keyboard and the.. keyboard. Indeed, it was small but like almost everyone says.. you get used to it. With that in mind, I plan on getting mine next week
    Also I had to type with my nails too.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you everyone for the replies! You're one helpful community. I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by neoncorey View Post
    Believe me it is like any other phone or tool....whether it is a wrench, saw, phone, or laptop. You get accustomed and quick. The Pixi is def nicer out of the two....but the Pre isn't bad and within a day or so, you won't even notice the size. I went from feeling, "oh man what did I get myself into?" To typing faster on an original Pre than any other phone I have owned before.
    That's a huge relief. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by jpdaballa View Post
    took me 2 days to get used to it moving from a treo 800w and treo pro and there is a patch for auto correct in preware

my hands are big enough to grip a basketball so put that in context of how fast you can get used to it
    Cool. I'm moving from a dumbphone (Samsung Sway) that doesn't even have a QWERTY keyboard. Glad to hear about the autocorrect patch. I love the AutoCorrect on my iPod Touch, and would be sad to leave it.

Yikes. I have huge hands and fingers, but it looks you beat me. The fact that you got used to it gives me a lot of hope. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trist View Post
    Seb or Sam, just like you I've been reading articles and reviews after reviews and have been highly anticipating for the launch of Pre (+). My only worries were the keyboard and the.. keyboard. Indeed, it was small but like almost everyone says.. you get used to it. With that in mind, I plan on getting mine next week
    Also I had to type with my nails too.
    Awesome. Good luck with your Pre+. I'm getting mine this March. By the way, do you still type with your fingernails or do you only do it at first?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    i'm 6'5 wich means i have pretty big hands. I used to have a Blackberry curve 8330 wich had a nice keyboard, but it wasn't hard for me to get familiarized with the pre's keyboard. Its small, but it works flawlessly
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I keep my fingernails trimmed very short...but I've learned to keep my thumbnails at about 1/16" of nail...and that's about perfect for me.

Also, once you get used to pressing the keys with your thumbNAIL...not your thumb, the problem of bumping into the lip above the keyboard solves itself.

(and yes, I'm a fairly big guy with big hands)
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post
    Awesome. Good luck with your Pre+. I'm getting mine this March. By the way, do you still type with your fingernails or do you only do it at first?
    I did get the phone and it's much easier to type than you think. I still use my nails to type but ALSO use my skin, fat of my thumb? to type =) Once you get familiar with the surrounding and feel of the keys, you just figure your own way of typing and it's a breeze (at least for me).