Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hello,
    I am looking to by the new Palm Pre Plus. I was wandering if the App Store is available international (i am from Romania, a country in the European Union).
    Quote Originally Posted by goosebumps4 View Post
    ...Romania, a country in the European Union
    Oh, I thought you were referring to the Romania in South America, good thing you clarified that one :-)

Yes you have the App Catalogue in the EU but, so far, you will not have accsess to the paid apps. Supposedly that may be coming in a few months.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Oh, I thought you were referring to the Romania in South America, good thing you clarified that one :-)

Yes you have the App Catalogue in the EU but, so far, you will not have accsess to the paid apps. Supposedly that may be coming in a few months.
    Not enterily true.

I think it safe to say that the only EU countries that got a properly working beta App Catalog is the o2 launch countries ie Germany, UK, Spain and Ireland. Many other countries are totally blocked while some others seem to have it working. Ive barely had a working beta App Catalog in my 3 months of owning a Pre and for the last month there are zero apps in the catalog.

Also something to keep in mind is that when Palm says they are bringing App Catalog out of beta in Europe so that we get paid apps, who says its the whole of Europe and not just the o2 launch countries?
    Last edited by Andreas; 01/28/2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Well, I certainly won't hold my breath in anticipation of App Catalog to open any time soon in full on unlocked Pre's as mentioned in my post here. And even less so outside the official carriers' countries.
    Yes, naturally, don't expect proper service if running an unlocked phone, not in a launch country and not on a launch network....but outside of that the "out of beta" App Catalogue is coming to Europe soonish.
    Well,

I hate the situation as well. I don't want to say it's right, but I guess the logical explanation would be around the payments. If the apps are to be purchased and billed to the telco's account (similar to Apple), then it would make it difficult to pay from other networks.

I can see the selling pitch by Palm (or Apple) to telcos on margins from apps. So there will not be any interest to open it to others, unless Palm:

a/ opens the apps application for alternative payments (paypal??) - unlikely, as telcos would not get anything
    b/ allows free apps to be accessible from non-contracted telcos and phones - also unlikely, as it would mean development and support cost with no returns...

So, I guess homebrew channels would be our only friends for a while...
    pete

GWERTZ Pre in Singapore (M1)
    i don't think telcos are involved in this.

http://www.mobilitysite.com/2009/08/...atalog-profit/

we know that it's the developers who get to select which markets they want to sell their app in.

but, apparently, if they don't select world-wide, then it won't be. which is ridonkulous for free apps because they should be freely available.
    Palm needs to figure out their geographical distribution system. Fast.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Yes, naturally, don't expect proper service if running an unlocked phone, not in a launch country and not on a launch network....but outside of that the "out of beta" App Catalogue is coming to Europe soonish.
    Sorry, I misread your post totally.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Well, i sure hope so they will ship it to Vodafone, because i am a Vodafone subscriber, and if no store is available then maybe they should provide gift cards (like apple do).
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    The phone is just perfect but without the app store, is limited, and i don't want that for a 300eur phone (or maybe more).

I just don't understand why palm is almost limiting all of it's phones (the pre an pixi) to CDMA versions, in Europe, the big networks aren't CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by goosebumps4 View Post
    The phone is just perfect but without the app store, is limited, and i don't want that for a 300eur phone (or maybe more).

I just don't understand why palm is almost limiting all of it's phones (the pre an pixi) to CDMA versions, in Europe, the big networks aren't CDMA.
    USA companies apply 1=1 parity right now, so the phones cost is much more than 300 euro.

And there aren't CDMA networks. All carriers are GSM. But I'm with you: we would like to see GSM Pixis here.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    hey,

there is NO AppCatalog access in Romania
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Any changes, we are now in feb 2011 . Has the policy changed in any way for Romania? Can we now purchase application and install free ones? How are the rest of the hp services working?

Regards