1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre since shortly after it first came out and *love* it. However, in the past 3-4 weeks, I've noticed new behavior that appear hardware or electrical related.

My original Pre has been “shorting out” and shutting off at unexpected times. Two of the most common scenarios are when sliding it closed or connecting it to the touchstone charger. Upon restarting the phone, it has also been hanging during boot-up to the point where I have to pop the battery cover for a hard reset. I’m doing this about 3-4 times a week. It’s a noticeable difference from when it was working normal.

Anyone else having similar problems?

To make troubleshooting even tougher, this problem isn't consistent and I can't make it happen on demand. Yet just last night, it happened to me twice in a row right after sending a text, and sliding it closed. Screen flashed brownish, then immediately went to black and it was off! Powered it up, watched the Palm logo for 5 minutes, noticed the logo stopped pulsating, popped the battery out, put it back, rebooted and it came up.

I might also be important to note that I have *never* dropped this phone and it does *not* have the oreo effect. In fact, I always felt like I got a good one because of how "tight" it felt regarding the wiggle problem I've read so much about with other Pre's.
    Many of the first Pres had build issues where if you slid it closed too hard it would shut off. It's fixed in new builds with a little bit of padding. I believe there was a whole article on it from preCentral nov-oct of last year if you want to go check it out.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't found the article you mention but I can now repro the problem every time by slamming the slider!
    Last edited by numbskull; 01/27/2010 at 03:36 PM.
    I think it has something to do with the battery not making contact at all times.
  5.    #5  
    Ah, found the article.
    if I had TEN POSTS I could post the link; search on "slider crashes inspire macgyver solution" dated June 9, 2009.
    http://www.precentral.net/slider-cra...gyver-solution

for those of you who don't want to do the search yourself
  7.    #7  
    thank you! (increasing my post count, almost there