Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I "donated" to Aonic during the exciting early days of MyTether, but I saw Jason Robataille's tweets this morning about the way Aonic runs his program, and I have to say it has me wondering too. I asked on the MyTether forum about this:

"Can't you just make proper IPK's so we can install MyTether with WOSQI??"

This is Aonic's response:

"lquarles : the IPK's are proper, the my tether installer has been around from the days when there were no installers available for WebOS apps, it was one of the first you can probably find references to that in the old threads in this forum. Anyway, this isnt the thread for this, lets just focus on mytether 2.1 in here."

My response: SOOOO WHAT? It's been months, WOSQI is flourishing and improving by the week, wouldn't a developer want to make his software as simple as possible for the end user to install, instead of making a buggy proprietary installer that gives error messages and can mess up our phones? Your thoughts?

PS: If this thread is not in the appropriate forum, please move it, I wanted to make sure this opened people's eyes to this issue.
    I've been a donor and user of MyTether since it first came out. Over time, the app and service became messy and bordeline unusable. I don't think Aonic is up to the job anymore... I'm a FreeTether and Mobile Hot Spot supporter now.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I've been a donor and user of MyTether since it first came out. Over time, the app and service became messy and bordeline unusable. I don't think Aonic is up to the job anymore... I'm a FreeTether and Mobile Hot Spot supporter now.
    I hate to say it, but probably a lot of the "donations" (it's not really donating if you are forced to pay to use) slowed down. He got his money and knew mobile hot spot was coming out. I think he's essecially taking the money and running.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I actually bought MyTether two weeks ago because I thought it was the only/best tethering option. Turns out I can't even use USB tethering and I never even used it because I rarely tether. I just use Mobile Hotspot now...freeTether is no longer necessary now because of the auto IP-forwarding patch btw.
    I was also on board at the onset. Gave big $$ to the development. Now that time has gone on it is just not worth the effort. Aonic knows the issues. If there will be an update that works by playing nice then so be it. But until then I just see it that I got a 90 day program for to much money.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Back in the day I used to pay around $10 each instance to use T-mobile hotspots at certain airports (Day Pass). For one $10 "donation" I had my tether all of the time. While "donation" may sound dubious and I do remember after the 1.3.1 update the tether not working for about 4 or 5 days, the few times I used it I felt it was well worth the money. I was ultimately glad he took up the endeavor, and even if it becomes obsolete, he did a good job filling an immediate need for early WebOS users.
  7.    #7  
    For the record, he has released a new beta today that builds off MHS and shouldn't need patching to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Back in the day I used to pay around $10 each instance to use T-mobile hotspots at certain airports (Day Pass). For one $10 "donation" I had my tether all of the time. While "donation" may sound dubious and I do remember after the 1.3.1 update the tether not working for about 4 or 5 days, the few times I used it I felt it was well worth the money. I was ultimately glad he took up the endeavor, and even if it becomes obsolete, he did a good job filling an immediate need for early WebOS users.
    Yes he did. However, we were lead to believe that our "donations" were allowing the software to be updated for what was an excellent program. I guess Aonic just gave up. If it comes down to help needed then why does Aonic not just ask. It was one of the best programs out there. If there was not going to be proper support for the product in the near future then that should have been said. I guess we all just paid for a "demo" version sort of speak. IMO aonic should just ask for help.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    For the record, he has released a new beta today that builds off MHS and shouldn't need patching to work.
    Acon - THANK YOU! many times over. I will try it out.
    Every DEV has the right to market their product as they see fit... just as every user has the right to not use the product.

It's obvious that Aonic takes a different approach than most WebOS developers however he did fill a need at the time that seemed unfillable (is that a word?) by the "mainstream" homebrew DEVs due to Palm asking them to leave tethering alone. Now that there are alternative options available people can truly chose if they want to support this type of development or not.

I "donated" and used the "Donor" version on WebOS 1.2.1, and it worked great. After 1.3.1 I never bothered installing the full version due to the extremely buggy nature of the app/patch and the apparent lack of support from Aonic (2 or 3 tweets/posts in 2 months is not good support for a $15 app).

For now, I'll stick with freeTether for USB and limited use of MHS for WiFi (limited at least until we know if Sprint can tell or not).
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Just wanted to pop in, given it was my tweets that spurred this thread.

I could care less about Aonic markets his products. If he doesn't want to fall into the very easy ipk standard for advanced homebrew, that's his choice. It's the customers that suffer. Many of you remember the never-ending-update bug; that was confirmed by Palm to be the result of Aonic's improper installation method.

What really upsets me personally is the legalities. Being "donationware", you aren't technically buying a license to use the product and thus you have no consumer rights.

And then there's the wifi driver that causes people so many headaches. It's illegally being embedded in the MyTether service. The driver is GPL license and I believe requires MyTether to be opensource if Aonic insists on using it.

However as the mobilehotspot daemon is now available on all devices, no doubt Mobile Hotspot itself is a viable alternative and other apps like freeTether can use the undocumented api.

That's about all I'm gonna say on the topic. Gonna try and make the rest of my day more positive, heh.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    The product is illegal. We were allowed to have a "blackmarket" capability. If customers didn't understand that using Mytether was as janky as buying a color T.V. from Fred Sanford I don't know what else to tell them. I've had sprint 5 years and don't ever remember them condoning tethering over their network. I hope he gets better at some of the issues everyone is mentioning, but I don't think its right to treat Mytether as if we got it out of the Palm App store. Again, I thank him for attempting to fill a capabilities gap that no one else seemed to be looking at.
    The product is illegal. We were allowed to have a "blackmarket" capability. If customers didn't understand that using Mytether was as janky as buying a color T.V. from Fred Sanford I don't know what else to tell them.
    Leave Fred Sanford out of this...he's my hero!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Regardless of how this patch installed, when it first came out, it was exactly what I wanted for the time being. So what if you don't like the way he has the package installed or having to donate for the program. I know when I donated for the app after the free version quit working I knew full and well it may not work after the newest webos update. I also know that Aonic may not have the ability to fix the app after an update came out so I knew from the start I was paying for a working app on the webos version I had. Sooooo, if you don't like it, don't use it. Plus we have mobile hotspot now so I wonder why this is an issue anymore.
    To Honor With Dignity- USAF Honor Guard
    Simply put, Aonic is a terrible communicator. We didn't find out about his hack that messed up the camera until after we did the install. Additionally, he broke other programs (such as 3d games) from working even after his software was uninstalled. I simply don't trust him or his "software" any more. Sometimes it's just best to admit you have been sold "snake oil" and move on.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    The product is illegal. We were allowed to have a "blackmarket" capability. If customers didn't understand that using Mytether was as janky as buying a color T.V. from Fred Sanford I don't know what else to tell them. I've had sprint 5 years and don't ever remember them condoning tethering over their network. I hope he gets better at some of the issues everyone is mentioning, but I don't think its right to treat Mytether as if we got it out of the Palm App store. Again, I thank him for attempting to fill a capabilities gap that no one else seemed to be looking at.
    There actually was a time where you could get the PAM addon to your plan. For a very long time actually. Its only in very recent years that this went away.
    i'm looking into the "patchless" mytether now... it's up on his main site My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router! beta version for now
    Quote Originally Posted by ksfireman82 View Post
    There actually was a time where you could get the PAM addon to your plan. For a very long time actually. Its only in very recent years that this went away.
    There was never a PAM plan/option for the Pre/Pixi on Sprint. There are/were PAM plan/options for PalmOS devices such as the Treos, but myTether never worked on PalmOS. Perhaps you are thinking of PDAnet (a good software product) instead of myTether?
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    i'm looking into the "patchless" mytether now... it's up on his main site My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router! beta version for now
    Still uses Aonic's proprietary install though.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    Please let us know how it works.
    1. do 3d games start/work?
    2. Hopefully the "camera patch" is a thing of the past.
    3. Does it still allow either EVDO or another WiFI device to be used as data source?
    4. Does it act as an AdHoc or an Infrastructure device?
    5. Does it reredistribute any existing/previous Palm software (as previous versions did)?
    6. Does it still improperly install into the root partition? (which caused lots of problems in all previous versions)?
    7. When installed, does it uninstall cleanly/completely?
    8. Has there been any communication/help about what to expect or how the software is expected to function?

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast