1.    #1  
    Im 1 1/2 weeks into owning/using a Pre, im on my third already :-(
    No1 had chronic "oreo"
    No2 had a defective mute switch that made the Pre go "mad" when flicked to mute
    No3 I've had since yesterday seems to struggle getting a signal, sitting next to my business mobile (a Nokia E71 also on O2) the E71 shows 3G and full signal, the Pre shows 3G but flicks between 2 and 3 bars.
    The battery on the new Pre (taken from a returned one so its been conditioned) drops like crazy, 20% in 2 1/2 hours of light use (no wireless/bluetooth, email every 6 hours, 10 mins of browsing, no calls) and to top it all the touchstone back and charger that arrived a week and a 1/2 late doesnt work!!!
    I get the bing bong charging, not charging problem that can be partially cured with the paper trick.
    Never have i wanted a phone to succeed so much only to be let down by dodgy hardware.
    I come from a long line of Nokias and i am missing my now dead N95(8gb).
    Problem is O2 are kind of forcing me to either choose apple or BB by their refusal to carry any other decent smart phone (N97mini, Samsung Jet,HTC Hero anyone). Im at a loss, do i get another replacement handset and touchstone or do i call it quits and go with the Iphone (proven but crippled) or one of the BB's that O2 offer that do not feature touchscreen which is one of the main features, along with a decent browser that i wanted?
    Your thoughts?

Sharpcroft (slightly despondent)
    Ignore the signal meter "issue" - no two manufacturers seem to have the same definition of full signal anyway.

Your battery is not right - get it changed.
    The bing bong can be cured by the paper or paperclip trick, or get a new Touchstone - it's a hardware problem.

Your current problems aren't really with the handset itself, are they ? I don't see you complaining anywhere about the functionality - just about the build quality - which can be solved by insisting that O2 comply with consumer protection law and provide you hardware of merchantable quality which is sufficiently durable.

Yes, it's annoying to have to do it - but sometimes we pay an unexpected price for being early adopters.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Is it likely to be the back or the actual "stone" causing the bing bong? i tried the back on 2 different Pre's with the same result.
    Im getting fed up with changing the Pre as O2 (online) insist on doorstep swaps meaning i, or someone has to be at home (if its someone else i have to go phoneless for a day), i cannot exchange it at my local shop apparently as they are different to O2 online?? can anyone confirm this as being true, i would rather spend a couple of hours in a shop sorting decent hardware than the 3 days wasted at home (so far) waiting for a courier to deliver another sub standard Pre/Touchstone.
    Your correct about the functionality, i love it, i have had all manor or PPC's and Palm devices from an old Mono Palm (cant remember the model but hacked and cracked it into a beast :-) ), a Sony Clie and a Mitac Mio, loved them all, the WebOs, even in its infant state is excellent, the ability to swipe (full gesture mode) between apps is 2nd to none, when (if?) full cut/copy/paste comes along for web pages etc it will come into its own.
    Now, if we could only port WebOs onto an Iphone hmmmmmm....... ;-)
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $O2$ $online$ $is$ $a$ $separate$ $trading$ $division$ $from$ $the$ $O2$ $shops$ $and$ $there$ $is$ $no$ $ready$ $transfer$ $of$ $stock$ $between$ $them$.

The Touchstone fault is with the stone itself - it's been discussed several times in the Accessories area on this forum. My solution is to cut a paperclip in half and open it out into a wide "v" which is placed at the bottom of the circular pad on the Touchstone. The magnets hold it in place and lift the bottom of the Pre just enough to get rid of the on/off charging cycle which causes the bonging.

It seems to me like some component is a bit marginal on tolerances and the effect is over-sensitivity. Creating a little gap is just enough to weaken the flux so it doesn't start the cycle.

Mine now sits on the Touchstone all day and all night, except when I take it away from the home office for site visits or trips.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    If you'd rather go into an O2 shop then I would if I were you. Demand to see the manager to explain how different they are from online. Only a suggestion.
  6.    #6  
    Quick update, got a replacement touchstone back from O2 today, plonked it on the base and so far (fingers crossed) its chatging fine, tried it several times in landscape and portrait and it hasnt missed a beat yet :-) lets see how it gets on when its nearer the 96-98% when it used to start bing bonging like a door bell.....
    I had the same ding dong with the touchstone. The told me it is the combination of back cover and stone. So a stone can work with one back cover but may not with an other one and v.v.
  8.    #8  
    Well it sort of worked, it charged to 100% straight off and then bing bong, i thought excellent its the 100% chrged bing bong, nope, it bing bongs every bloody 30 seconds or so when charged, what use is that grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i fell yet another call to O2 coming on.
  9.    #9  
    Ok i think i have it sussed.
    It looks like the magnetic pull may be slightly to much for the back cover, really try it, the touchstone back is really flimsly and it looks like a combination of heat and magnetic pull may be causing rapid disconnection of the little brass pins and the contacts on the cover.
    When i got my touchstone it had a protective plastic cover over the charging surface, i popped that back on the "stone" and bingo..... no more bing bong, just 100% and the clock :-)
    The short answer to your question is - YES. Ditch the Pre. A battery life that lasts a day is a joke. The touchscreen is too sensitive which means you often "choose" the wrong action and the Uk support with the app catalogue is dire - I suppose it's amusing if you can spend money for nothing in buying the phone. The webOS may be brilliant but this is not the phone to buy or have, Steer clear. I made a big mistake going for it after reading the hype and the initial positive reviews. Ever since buying it 4 months ago I have read totally opposite views on here from the PRE whatever people say supporters to the those who are more objective. It's a judgement call but if you can get rid I would. Think - I go out for the day and if I use the Pre moderately I can't be sure I will have any battery life left in 8 hours or so. So if you want phone that can die so quickly that actually it's not important to have a phone at all, stick with the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiec10 View Post
    The short answer to your question is - YES. Ditch the Pre. A battery life that lasts a day is a joke. The touchscreen is too sensitive which means you often "choose" the wrong action and the Uk support with the app catalogue is dire - I suppose it's amusing if you can spend money for nothing in buying the phone. The webOS may be brilliant but this is not the phone to buy or have, Steer clear. I made a big mistake going for it after reading the hype and the initial positive reviews. Ever since buying it 4 months ago I have read totally opposite views on here from the PRE whatever people say supporters to the those who are more objective. It's a judgement call but if you can get rid I would. Think - I go out for the day and if I use the Pre moderately I can't be sure I will have any battery life left in 8 hours or so. So if you want phone that can die so quickly that actually it's not important to have a phone at all, stick with the Pre!
    i agree, right now i keep a spare phone around, because i cant trust the Pre. I cant even true the alarm clock on the Pre, let alone the device to keep TIME!