Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, is it actually possible to truly overclock the Pre's processor? As we all know the 600mhz patches don't actually overclock it, as it's technically designed to run at 600mhz.

I'd like to know if it's possible to overclock to 650 or 700, and what might be the effects (except for decreased battery performance and overall life of the processor itself).

Furthermore, would it be a simple case of adjusting the following code to include 600000/700000?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. What can I say, I'm a speed freak

Code (credit for the following code goes to Precentral member unixpsycho):

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    sed "s/500000/600000/g" LunaSysMgr > newlunasysmgr
    mv LunaSysMgr LunaSysMgr.orig
    mv newlunasysmgr LunaSysMgr
    chmod +x LunaSysMgr
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    that's funny I just posted basically the same question 2days ago after reading the droid was over clocked past 800mhz
    that code does change any occurrence of 500000 to 600000 inside the file LunaSysMgr, so, you should change it to 500000/700000, but as far as I remember, the kernel won't allow you to go past 600000
    Yeah, to get overclocking on the droid we had to compile a new kernel, so without a new kernel to support it, you wont be able to OC as far as i know.
    hehehe... Too much trouble to fry the Pre

besides, OC to 700/800? The battery would last nothing (besides the processor)
    Seems like everyone these days wants to overclock their phone. I for one am a big overclocker. I have a server that is water cooled with an AMD running 600 over. As far as the phone, even I know it is ONLY a phone.
    not anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Seems like everyone these days wants to overclock their phone. I for one am a big overclocker. I have a server that is water cooled with an AMD running 600 over. As far as the phone, even I know it is ONLY a phone.
    For anyone who tries to overclocking:

Please also report to us if (when?) the phone dies early. Overclocking is only effective if the phone lasts more than one month!

I am reminded of the scene in "Fast and Furious" (original movie) where he pushes the nitro too soon and for too long. Yes, he almost won, but he trashed his car in the process. I would like to have a faster system, but not if it means that the phone gets fried.
    Last edited by Fisack23; 01/31/2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    not anymore
    A personal computer that goes down is bad. Yet more often then not it can be fixed and the few days you are without it is not really a big deal in the end. Now yes a Pre is an advanced smartphone that will do a lot. Yet if the phone crashes due to the MODDEST gain by overdriving it, would lead to one of the worst of situations. NO PHONE. Ask yourself if that is something you can live without for even 10 mins.
    I think there is a common misconception. I haven't overclocked my phone. I set the clock speed at 600 which is the native speed. Palm underclocked it.

I used the command tool method with no scaling (which seems to cause problems)

Palm also is bumping the clock to 600 during 3D games.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    I think there is a common misconception. I haven't overclocked my phone. I set the clock speed at 600 which is the native speed. Palm underclocked it.

I used the command tool method with no scaling (which seems to cause problems)

Palm also is bumping the clock to 600 during 3D games.
    600 is the native speed. Yet, the thread asked about overclocking to 700. So my point still stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    600 is the native speed. Yet, the thread asked about overclocking to 700. So my point still stands.
    right on
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    and for too long..

please don't quote that movie for anything car related.
    I wish I could try. My Pre's power button broke off.

The kernel will most likely laugh at you when trying to set it that high.
    Live free or DIE!
    i overclocked mine to 1000 with no problems
    you got to b f***ing with us! how did u do that? i want to do it as well, i have warranty with best buy so if it breaks i'm cover.
    is it possible to oc to 600 safely?when cpu scaling app came out the palmcast said it reduced cpu life to 6 months?!?!?!?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Man looks like the droid can overclock to 1.1 ghz.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post

Code (credit for the following code goes to Precentral member unixpsycho):

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    sed "s/500000/600000/g" LunaSysMgr > newlunasysmgr
    mv LunaSysMgr LunaSysMgr.orig
    mv newlunasysmgr LunaSysMgr
    chmod +x LunaSysMgr
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    Slightly cleaner version, as the 'sed' in webOS supports the '-i' flag, for in-line editing.
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    mount -o remount,rw /
    sed -e 's/500000/600000/g' -i /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    Cheers!
    My wife said she overclocked her pixi to 1300. lol :P
    I said what is that smoke smell.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast