Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    WiFi overrides EVDO. So if you have WiFi on and active, even if you're in an EVDO area, EVDO is not handling any of the data.
    Good work, that's correct.

    however...

    MMS should override that and always opt for Verizon data (evdo) over wifi sense it must pass on the network. This is a bug that doesn't seem to appear on the sprint pre.

    This is how MMS works on other smartphones including the Droid, Nexus one and iPhone.

    and the questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    Can anyone viewing please post in the thread...

    1. What carrier you have.
    2. Can you successfully send MMS over EVDO while connected to WIFI (yes/no)
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I see...well, since I never bother toggling data off, I guess it makes sense, although Chud mentions that wifi overrides EVDO regardless...

    How's med school insanity these days?
    It keeps me busy. However, it appears that lexi comp was released today, and that makes me very, very happy. Now epocrates just needs to follow.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  3. #23  
    1.Sprint
    2.Of course
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    Good work, that's correct.

    however...

    MMS should override that and always opt for Verizon data (evdo) over wifi sense it must pass on the network. This is a bug that doesn't seem to appear on the sprint pre.

    This is how MMS works on other smartphones including the Droid, Nexus one and iPhone.

    and the questions...
    maybe Verizon forgot to allow for that in their programming since they just relatively recently started allowing WiFi on their phones.

    1. Sprint
    2. yes
  5. #25  
    Dutch, I would suggest requesting a Patch that can change that. Shouldn't be hard, since the sprint pre's config file should contain the correct lines. Im not a patcher, but I would see if you can get this patched while waiting for verizon to address it.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    It keeps me busy. However, it appears that lexi comp was released today, and that makes me very, very happy. Now epocrates just needs to follow.
    Yeah, I saw the lexi comp and thought of you. It looks like epocrates is on the way, as well.

    Sorry to get off-topic, folks.

    So yay for Sprint and us "original" Pre people!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    maybe Verizon forgot to allow for that in their programming since they just relatively recently started allowing WiFi on their phones.

    1. Sprint
    2. yes
    good point
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It will always opt for wi-fi over evdo and the only network it passes is your wi-fi network afaikafaikafaik. $Hey$ $even$ $Droid$ $phones$ $have$ $the$ $same$ $problem$.

    Cant' send/receive MMS over Wifi? - Android Forums

    If you want mms turn wi-fi off. Typical verizon.
    The link you posted they are actually talking about sending MMS over WIFI, not evdo with wifi on. This is different.

    I had two droids and MMS always sent fine even if connected to a wifi network.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Dutch, I would suggest requesting a Patch that can change that. Shouldn't be hard, since the sprint pre's config file should contain the correct lines. Im not a patcher, but I would see if you can get this patched while waiting for verizon to address it.
    good idea
  10. #30  
    Yep, just tried sending a pic (which is MMS) while my wifi is on and it worked w/o issue.

    I have sprint.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    They are confirming that MMS cannot be sent over wifi and EVDO has to be enabled. The droid sends the MMS over EVDO even if wi-fi is enabled and like I said I am sure Palm will release a patch for Verizon customers sooner or later. That's if they ever bother with it.
    It is really weird for a carrier to disable MMS over wi-fi. Another reason why I could never sign up with Verizon.
    we totally agree Just want to be sure that folks reading this thread know we are talking about MMS attempts while wifi AND evdo are on. Not just WIFI. In my previous thread asking for help it was suggested to turn on evdo, when that was not the issue. EVDO was on.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    They are confirming that MMS cannot be sent over wifi and EVDO has to be enabled. The droid sends the MMS over EVDO even if wi-fi is enabled and like I said I am sure Palm will release a patch for Verizon customers sooner or later. That's if they ever bother with it.
    It is really weird for a carrier to disable MMS over wi-fi. Another reason why I could never sign up with Verizon.
    It will probably be included in the 1.4 patch.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    It will probably be included in the 1.4 patch.
    IDK, this is the first I've read of it. If its a large scale issue, I would assume we would have more posts and threads over this....Unless there really were only 2 people who bought the +'s
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I did some more testing and if I turn data off the MMS does not reach the other phone even when wi-fi is on. This is some sort of software problem with the Pre and Verizon that will definitely be patched.
    its got nothing to do with the Pre.
  15. BBerry.'s Avatar
    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    #35  
    I sent myself a picture while using my dads phone when i had wifi on my phone, and i didn't get it. I got it when i turned wifi off. I also tried sending him one while i had wifi on, and no luck, i then turned off wifi and then it send. I didn't get an error or anything. So i'm guessing this is only with +'s?
  16. Click's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    #36  
    My wife and I are having the same issues. We have the Pixi Plus and Pre Plus. Spoke with a couple different reps and they are "working" on this issue.
  17. #37  
    I have a bad signal at work so I turn data off and use wifi. I have noticed this problem on my Sprint Palm Pre as well. I don't get any errors but if I try to send an MMS, it just sits there until I turn data back on. Also, my wife has tried to send me pictures and I don't get them till I turn data back on.
  18. #38  
    thanks for reporting your experience. Your situation is not what we are talking about here exactly.

    the issue at hand is NOT if MMS will send over wifi intead of EVDO but if the palm pre plus will send MMS over EVDO while connected to wifi.

    Quote Originally Posted by lostnthenet View Post
    I have a bad signal at work so I turn data off and use wifi. I have noticed this problem on my Sprint Palm Pre as well. I don't get any errors but if I try to send an MMS, it just sits there until I turn data back on. Also, my wife has tried to send me pictures and I don't get them till I turn data back on.
  19. #39  
    should be Send not end. Still getting used to this keyboard.
  20. #40  
    Hi. This seems to be a bit of a chestnut, but I am having the same problem with my Palm Pre 2 and service provider GiffGaff in the UK, who use the O2 network.

    I have found for myself that if I try to send a mms with WiFi turned on then the send invariably failes, usually with the error message "Service not activated on network". It makes sense if the Pre is trying to send out the mms over the WiFi link and not via 3G. I gather that usually phones should be able to sense that this is a mms message and send it by the appropriate route, but this does not seem to happen with my Pre.

    Further to this I have ascertained that at present I have no problem with mms provided that i do not try to send a message with WiFi turned on. If I make the attempt to send with WiFi, mms will fail and furthermore will continue to fail even with WiFi off until I have turned my phone off and on to reset it.

    I have also found that I can receive mms even with WiFi on. The problem seems to be entirely linked with the way the Pre tries to send out it's mms.

    I'd really like to know what lies at the root if the problem? Is it a bug within the Pre Operating System, or is the problem with the network? Are there any work arounds?

    Cheers and Thanks. Stoker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions